Thread: Belly Guns
View Single Post

Old 08-26-2007, 09:55 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 4,518 Times in 1,240 Posts

Bob,

For those interested, Paladin Press is reprinting the book, Shooting by J. Henry FitzGerald and I'm told it will be available in about a month. It has two new Forewords--short biographies of Fitz--one by T.J. Mullin and one by me. (Sorry for the commercial. If it helps any I didn't get paid for it.)

Lefty,

I'll defer to your experience and agree with you that the big bore/big frame/short barrel guns were still accurate. That's why Fitz always remounted the front sight and would often checker the tops of the bobbed hammers to aid in single action shooting "for long range shots." And many fans from Applegate to Lindbergh carried them in holsters.

However, Colonel Charles Askins, Jr. defined belly guns not as something stuck in your waistband, but the "kind of hardware you jam against the other man's navel and trigger off a burst.... Eliminate the sights and shoot the guns from below eye level." I don't mean to imply that Askins in the last word on the matter, just that the "belly" some folks refer to in the term is the recipient, not the server.

I'm glad you posted the holstered gun picture. Please go ahead and post the revolver without the holster so that we get them all in this thread.

Thanks,
Kevin