Thread: 357 Mags in Nam
View Single Post

Old 02-04-2009, 07:47 AM

Liked 9,184 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by hoglaw:
In 1964 there were far fewer regulations of firearms, both civilian and military. When facing movement to Vietnam I shopped at the PX in the Philippines thinking of buying a S&W .357 to take with me. Never got around to it.

In Desert Storm my Army Reserve aviation unit was still issued M10's. Of course, by 1990 all firearms were tightly regulated and no personal weapons were allowed without written authority of an O-6, or higher. Consequently I caught a lot of grief because of my M10. Everyone thought I was in violation of the general order.

I dared on REMF O-3 to confiscate my weapon, but he backed down.
I carried my own Series 70 Colt in Korea in '80-81. I also carried it on occasion as a pay officer at Fort Knox. One pay day, they had made us turn in all of our .45acp ball and not yet issued replacement ammunition. We were given the choice of carrying M16s, providing our own firearms, or providing our own ammunition. I wasn't going to schlepp an M16 around, so I carried my Series 70 loaded with my VERY hot handloads using the 200gr. Hornady "Combat-Target" jacketed semi-wadcutter.

I also had my Ithaca M37 DS/PS 12ga. I used it to teach Korean civilian guards to use their newly issued Winchester 1200s. Other platoon leaders I knew in the 2nd ID had a 8 3/8" Model 29 and a 4" Model 13 respectively.