View Single Post

Old 10-24-2008, 04:50 AM

Liked 808 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Alk8944:

My first question would be why would anyone have such a desire to shoot either heavy or light-for-caliber bullets in any revolver except for a special purpose such as 200 gr. SXC .45 ACP for target shooting, what is gained by it?
This is a valid question. The reason I shoot the light 110 gr. and medium velocity 125 gr. loads is because they are easier on my .357 Magnum revolvers and, frankly, because they're a lot easier on my old arthritic hands. I find the 158 grainers punishing to my hands anymore and I tend not to shoot them much. FWIW, none of my wheelguns have shown any sign of damage, but then I avoid hot loads of every bullet weight.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alk8944:

.........and besides, the gun was regulated from the factory to shoot 158 gr. loads to the sights, or at least to be within the normal range of adjustemnt for them/
Since the model in question, the 66, has adjustable sights and is easily capable of shooting both 110 and 125 gr. loads to POA, I see this matter of the revolver being regulated from the factory to shoot 158 gr. loads as a non-issue, even if factual. The reason I add "if factual" is because I've purchased several S&W revolvers over the years that shot 125 gr. loads to POA right out of the box.

Wayne M: Thank you for reminding me of the Super Vels. I had them on the tip of my tongue last night, but just couldn't bring them to memory. I shot a good bit of and carried the .38 Special version of that load (against regulations) back in the day. In every other cylinder, I had a Remington Hi-Way Master metal-penetrating round. Of course, I was young and dumb back then.