View Single Post

Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 AM

Liked 2,082 Times in 606 Posts

I shoot a lot of NRA Falling Plate, and for many years I was using my K-38 Model 14-3 from a Safariland 002 holster. I was averaging 40 plates, with maybe 38 on a bad day and 42 on a good day (iron sights).
A few years back, I rebarreled the gun with an original S&W full-lug .38 Special barrel I bought when they were still available. Instantly, my plate scores went up to 42 low-end, 44 average, and 45 to 46 (out of 48) on a good day.

I cannot practise more, because we are very limited here for ammunition and reloading -- while not exactly illegal, is something one has to do in the dead of night while wearing a mask, limiting me to about 150 rounds a week to practise with.

I attibute the increase in score to two things;

1. The new McGivern Bead front sight I installed on the Heavy Barrel. I used to use bright red/orange paint on the standard blade of the old style barrel, but the Gold Bead is a whole 'nuther thing. I DID try first a fiber-optic front sight but did not like it and removed it. The Gold Bead is flat on top, giving me a good sight index; the fiber-optic was rounded on top, and maybe good for shooting IPSC/IDPA style courses, but it sucked (at least for me) for falling plate.

2. The additional front-end weight on the barrel. This, beyond all doubt, makes the biggest difference. The reduced recoil (or perhaps I should say, the recoil being "soaked up" by the increased front-end weight) means less time reacquiring my front sight, and more time to concentrate on sight-alignment within the fixed NRA Action time-limits.

My vote; The Full Lug barrel just ******* works for me. All else being equal.

We are now working on building an 8 3/8 inch K-38 (standard barrel) to test. We believe the increased length and barrel weight -- although less weight than a 6-inch full lug -- will still be enough to improve sight-picture acquisition and when combined with the increased sight radius might greatly improve things as well.

I do NOT believe there is a significant difference in "draw speed" from competition holsters between a 6 or an 8 inch barrel.

When I find out how this all worked out for me, I will write it up and let you know.

P.S. - I personally believe that a good 'smith could take take the .22 Heavy Barrel, in either 4 inch or 6 inch length, and sleeve it to .38 special to make a ".38 H.B. rebirth". I might someday make myself a 4 inch K-38 heavy barrel, since I am somewhat stuck with that caliber anyways.

My loads are a 158 gr. Cast SWC and 3.5 grains of Bullseye or a 148 grain Cast Wadcutter and about 3.0 to 3.1 grains of Bullseye. They will meet the NRA 120 power factor. (Mexican Aguila factory 130 grain ammunition will NOT!)

Photo; My homemade K-38 H.B. . The cylinder is moonclipped. Guts are Model 64.