View Single Post

Old 02-01-2009, 06:53 AM

Liked 379 Times in 219 Posts

Moonclips for .38 Special are much thinner than those for .38 Super, 9mm or .45 ACP. They are very easily bent and usually case brand sensitive. I love the moonclip guns (have three 625s and a 940, recently got rid of a 627-4 that did not live up to expensive expectations) but I would never moonclip a .38 Special that would be used as a defense gun. Moonclipped .38 Special is big among the ICORE competitors with their 7 and 8 shooters but all the competitors I know take great pains to keep these revolvers running smoothly and they still get the occasional sticky, problematic reload. As you are good with speedloaders, I would not bother with the moonclips.

If you do decide to have it moonclipped, you can still use loose rounds. I once had a .45 Colt that was moonclipped and use of loose rounds would wear the tops of the rims and make them very sharp. I could never figure out why but then I eventually got rid of that gun too. I don't know if it would happen with .38 Special but it's something to think about.

Dave Sinko