View Single Post

Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Still don't have a concealead carry permit....on the "To do" list...

I've fooled around with pistols, holsters for years. I love autos. Fun to shoot, damn accurate. I have a fair collection of assorted Sigs, 1911's, some with extensive mods, trigger jobs,etc. Even with some full boat customs, the gun I shoot the best is a bone stock West German Sig 225. It fits my hand perfectly. Point and shoot.

If I were to carry a pistol in public, I'd opt for the 340PD, with Crimson Trace grips. It's a pain in the *** to shoot, but it's small enough, light enough, that there's no reason to leave it behind.

Phisiologically, I'm kind of limited. Male, with long legs, short torso. Tried 4 different very expensive holsters with a Sig 239/40. Kramer gunbelt, the works. Nothing fit right. I always ended up with a pistol butt in the ribs, front, back, or side. Not a fan of cross draws, behind the back holsters for a few reasons. Ended up selling the gun, and most of the rigging, as I couldn't see it ever being a usefull CC rig, which is what that gun was meant for. Hated to see the 239 go, as it had a sweet trigger.

A girlfriend made the mistake of going with me to Gander Mountain about 3 years ago. I ended up drooling over a 340PD. She bought it for me as a Christmas present.

I had 2 problems, one my fault, one a S&W production fault.

My fault was trying smoking hot .357 Doubletaps meant for 4" or greater barrells in the 340PD.
Blew the case up. Had to be pounded out with a rod. No big deal. Cylender fine, don't use that ammo.

Second problem was a broken trigger return spring. At the time it broke, I had less than 300 rounds down the barrel, maybe 3,000 dry fires. Replaced under warenty, no problems. Just now hitting around 3,000 rounds, 10 times as many dry fires. No problems.

I'm a little old school, in that I believe a gun has to put 1,000 rounds down range before being considered reliable. The 340PD has passed the test.

My carry considerations are gone. It goes in the breast pocket of a casual jacket, would fit in any but the tightest jeans. I've got a Mika's pocket holster on order, might have to go for the cc license sometime this summer.

I hate the trigger, though that's gotten better with time. I hate the recoil. Love the size and weight. Why revolvers? No spring compression issues, DA simplicity, reliability. If you can carry it everywhere, you might have it when needed. Sorry for the ramble.

Mark