View Single Post

Old 10-23-2008, 04:05 PM

Liked 808 Times in 228 Posts

The 110 gr. cartridges available today have an advertised muzzle velocity of 1295 fps and, as such, are some of the lightest .357 Magnum loads available. In 1984, when the Border Patrol chose the 110 gr. .357 Magnum as their new issued duty ammo (110 @ 1300), one of the reasons given for choosing the 110 grainers was that they would be the easiest on their revolvers. I would shoot the 110s without hesitation.

The same applies to "medium velocity" 125 gr. .357 Magnum loads like the Remington Golden Sabers which have an advertised muzzle velocity of 1220 fps. These Golden Sabers are probably the mildest .357 Magnum loads on the market. These too I would not hesitate to shoot.

The fact that the hottest, "full house" .357 Magnum loads all use 125 gr. bullets has confused some and caused them to incorrectly conclude that it's the 125 gr. bullet itself which is damaging to their revolver when, in fact, it's the bullet and the near maximum powder charge behind it, the whole enchilada if you will, that can and has caused damage like cracked forcing cones, flame cutting, etc.

Regarding this so-called "S&W advisory" we've read about here, I have yet to see it in writing and don't expect to live long enough to ever do so. You see, even though S&W has issued many written advisories in the past, we're to believe that this advisory is unique in that it's actually a tightly held secret revealed only to those who call and ask the right questions.

The same people who are so quick to hang their hats on this dubious advisory can't provide a scrap of proof of its existence beyond anecdotal hearsay yet they expect us to give it full credence and become indignant when we don't.

Well, sorry, but I spent a career dealing with facts and evidence and until I see some official supporting documentation for this alleged advisory, I'll continue to raise the BS flag on it. Now if I'm mistaken and someone can provide a copy of this advisory on official S&W documentation or provide a link to it on the S&W web site, my deepest apologies, but I've been asking for this proof for a long time and I suspect it will appear the same day Sasquatch does.