View Single Post

Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 AM

Liked 351 Times in 243 Posts

When choosing a sidearm all you need to do is make a list of all the things that matter the most to you, caliber, ergonomics, capacity, etc, etc. Then you must also figure in any limiting factors such as availability, legal restrictions, etc. When I chose a duty weapon I always picked a revolver because my number one priority was speed of the draw and with a thumbsnap holster the revolver beat the autos with no problem. And since S&W revolvers are my favorite handguns anyway, it was an easy choice.

However for concealed carry it is a different situation. I hardly ever carry concealed, in fact the only time I do is when we go to pick up the wifes only grand-daughter. (Don't get me wrong she is Poppys' little 'Fartbucket' too.) However the city has a residency requirement for city employees and when her mother took the job of village idiot she had to move to the 'hood. Anyway, since that is the only time I carry now I chose an open top paddle holster so thumbstraps aren't in the equation anymore. I wanted something with reasonable power and a high capacity magazine since I don't carry any extra ammo. I own 43 semi autos of which 37 would have been acceptable so then I was only restricted by one limiting factor, what was immediately avaible for a lefty? I ended up with a Fobus paddle holster for my Glock 20. But I usually stick a Taurus 445 in my pocket instead because I hate paddle holsters.

For around the house I keep a 20 gauge shotgun and an SKS out of the safes.