View Single Post

Old 08-30-2008, 08:30 AM

Liked 18,124 Times in 2,527 Posts

The best source of information on the Audley holster that I've found is in Gene Bender's book "Luger Holsters & Accessories of the 20th Century".Francis Audley was awarded a patent for his holster on Oct. 13,1914.He had been a harness maker &,like Hermann Heiser,Tio Sam Myres & the George Lawrence Co. he realized that the future of the leather goods business was in police & sporting goods supply. He unfortunately died on May 10,1916;his business was acquired by the H. & D. Folsom Arms Co. of New York.
Audley holsters are very well made & were popular with police officers & sportsmen.Other manufacturers made identical holsters after,I assume,the patent expired-Jay-Pee,Colt,Service Mfg. & others.The design was popular up into the 1950's or early '60's-at least, I have a number of holsters of this type made during that time frame.
"A145" is the holster model number,as shown in the catalog cut below(from Catalog # 18 w/ a price list dated Feb. 1922).

Here's a couple of Audleys-one made for a 1907 Savage pocket auto & one for a 1903 Colt.

Regards,
turnerriver
SWCA,CCA,NRA Endowment Life member