View Single Post

Old 11-21-2008, 03:15 PM

Liked 69 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
ohiobuckeye,
Your postings lead me to believe that you are taking this as someone who was trying to defraud a future buyer of the firearm. Did the seller try and portray this as an original?

It would not be unusual for a shooter to see a real CST and go "WOW, I want one of those." Not being able to find it they turn to their local gun smith and say "How much to install an adjustable sight?"
The converion is not as simple as a couple of mill cuts and screwing on a rear sight. The standard model CS front sight is very low profile and unless the much much taller CST ramped front sight is also added (sight is integral with the barrel and means a new CST barrel must be found and installed) the gun will probably shoot about six feet high at ten yards.
As far as who knowingly sold it as bogus? No way to know once it left the hands of the person who originally had it converted, and since there's nothing to be done about it, I don't really care. It will be recorded in the SWCA files as bogus, and remain with me until I croak. After that it will either remain with one of my sons or be sold to someone who will be told it's bogus...After that...??? Some people are honest and some are not....That's the way it works...Sad but true.
My initial goal was to determine if the gun was an earlier production run of the real thing. Since it turned out to be counterfeit, the new goal is to nit pick the rework details to see if there are any obvious means of detection for the benefit of other collectors and to get this one permanently listed in the counterfeit files.