View Single Post

Old 01-19-2008, 08:25 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

For the record, I asked Roy Jinks for the bore diameter specs for both .38 Special and .38 S&W some years ago. I knew that some British shooters had complained of stuck jacketed bullets in the bores of S&W .38/200 service revolvers.

I thought that perhaps S&W had just chambered the cylinders for the S&W regular ctg., and shipped guns with bores at .38 Special diameter.

He said that a Feb. 18, 1942 bore spec for UNRIFLED .38 S&W bores was .350-.3512. That is tight. After rifling, the GROOVES were at .3595-.3612. Thus, a .360 lead bullet should do very well in a .38 S&W barrel.

I presume that underloaded service ammo with jacketed bullets accounted for the occasional stuck bullets in the British issue guns.

Webley and Enfield Arsenal probably have "looser" bores in .38, and the rifling lands may also be more narrow, lessening any tendency for bullets to stick. With the lower friction of lead bullets and a normal powder charge, I doubt if bullets sticking in the barrel will be an issue in .38/200 guns.

Because of the many old topbreak American guns in this caliber being of marginal safety, I think that modern .38 S&W ammo is loaded on the light side.

The careful handloader can certainly work up better loads in the British guns and in the modern S&W guns in that chambering.

Colt also made Commando (wartime Official Police) guns in .38/200, but I do not have access to their bore specs. I have heard of no trouble with them, and of course, Colts are actually stronger than equivalent S&W's.

Those guns got around. I read a book by a British officer fighting Japs in Burma. His weapons were a Colt .38 revolver and a Thompson gun.

T-Star