View Single Post

Old 11-23-2008, 08:57 PM

Liked 90 Times in 17 Posts

Thanks very much for detailed write-ups, guys! I get good schooling here for sure.

dfariswheel, Checked the gun as you suggested. Everything checks out except for cylinder lock-up in DA – it’s too late. In a normal pull, I can see that cylinder is still completing its turn AFTER the hammer fell down all the way; not good. Worse yet I can see marring from bullets hitting left hand side of the forcing cone…

2152hq, I see your point about wear on the outside of the upper tooth of the hand. It’s probably caused by closing cylinder too fast and is not related to timing. Lower tooth and the star have no visible wear on them. Chances are that’s the way the gun left factory 35 yrs ago…

I also see your point about timing in SA vs. timing in DA. It does look like a delicate adjustment job. Getting a copy of Kuhnhausen book starts sounding like a really good idea.

Mike

P.S. Late breaking news: Colt Inc. wasn't much help, but I was able to order a new hand ("manufactured and hardened to original manufacturer's specifications") from Numrich. Good to have a spare hand on hand when I start stretching the only one I got...