View Single Post

Old 12-27-2008, 02:27 AM
Banned

Liked 1,569 Times in 421 Posts

Welcome to the forum! I believe your revolver is a .38 Military & Police Model of 1905 3rd. change. I am away from my references at the moment, but I'll guess it is 1909-1915 vintage, probably in the early range of that production because it still has the large ejector knob from previous models which I think was one of the engineering changes. The "change" refers to engineering changes as the model evolved. The time frame of your family's oral history and the production range, of this revolver, appear to be perfectly compatible. The grips may or may not be factory original. My guess is they are probably aftermarket, but could have been special ordered from the factory. Generally, it is widely thought that factory original pearl grips should have the S&W medallions. I assure you that several experts will be along in short order to add to this discussion concerning that subject.

The nickel appears to be original from your photos, the hammer and trigger correctly color case hardened. If it is a refinish, it has been very well done, but none of the tell tale signs of a refinish are apparent to me, based again, on your photos. A historical letter from Roy Jinks at S&W, will establish the condition it was shipped in, finish, barrel length and where and when it was shipped. Well worth the modest cost to determine the provenance of your family heirloom.

I regret I cannot offer you an approximate shipping date as they were frequently shipped out of sequence, but the true ship date will be confirmed in the letter from Roy, should you choose to do so.

As to value I'd grade the revolver at the high condition end, and if it were mine, would think conservatively $675 to $700 because of the excellent overall condition of the nickel finish, bore and cylinder chambers. As a premium, the Mother of Pearl stocks if confirmed as factory original, an additional premium of at least $100 to $200. I think the correct standard production stocks were checkered walnut with medallion for this model. I mention that in the event the pearls turn out to be aftermarket and you wish to acquire the correct stocks. If it were new in the original box.....$1000.00 to $1500.00 easily.

It's a lovely example, you should be very delighted to possess such a fine memento of your ancestors. Best of luck and again, welcome to the forum. I hope this information is helpful.