View Single Post

Old 09-21-2007, 06:01 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,122 Times in 4,797 Posts

Quote:
In terms of what your testing will discover or what information it will lead to, unless properly documented, not much.
Of course, and even if properly documented, still "not much." It only applies to the single weapon he is testing. It's a simple field test, much like Elmer Keith's those many years ago. I don't see that it is meant to be the basis for conclusions about metallurgy, design, engineering, etc., across the whole population of revolvers of that type that S&W has produced. I don't think that is the man's intent. But that doesn't mean the test is not interesting and worthwhile to us, as hobbyists, does it?

If someone with the necessary expertise would care to volunteer to develop a testing procedure that would satisfy the type of requirements necessary for a formal scientific study, I don't think many members of this forum could afford it - or be interested enough to read the necessarily technical, detailed report.

It's a hobbyist's attempt to satisfy his own curiosity, and to let his fellow hobbyists know what he found. Nothing more. My ramblings that you quoted were just that - ramblings. (As can plainly be seen, I disqualified myself as any sort of authority before the rambling began.)

I found the mention of the airplane very interesting, since in my own mind, I would liken the chances of Osprey being injured by a catastrophic failure in the course of his test as directly comparable to being injured in an aircraft accident, or less - and yes, still more hobbyist's "ramblings!"