View Single Post

Old 06-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts

Semi-autos or levers. Where to start?

Listing my favorites; semi-autos first:

Stevens / Springfield 87 and 87M; Savage 6 -- The so-called "Gill Guns" or "Click-Clacks" because of the trademark slots on the left side of the receiver and the characteristic sound the guns make when fired. When the trigger is pulled and held, the fired cartridge pushes back the bolt and the trigger mechanism holds the bolt back ("click") until the trigger is released and the bolt flies forward, feeding the next cartridge ("clack"). Pulling the trigger fires the next cartridge and repeats the process. These guns date to pre-WWII and they are often available used ranging from $75 to $150. Generally VERY reliable and remarkably accurate if reasonably clean and the springs are in good shape.

High Standard A102, A1041, and Sears Model 25 -- The later-made High Standard version of the Stevens / Springfield 87; Savage 6; same "click-clack" mechanism, but parts do not interchange. Generally VERY reliable and remarkably accurate if reasonably clean and the springs are in good shape.

Remington 552 Speedmaster -- One of the few semi-autos that will fire 22 Shorts (high speed shorts) in semi-auto, FWIW. Unless having been removed by a former owner, these have a stamped sheet metal empty case deflector covering the ejection port. It is good range ettiquete to keep these deflectors mounted; the shooter at the bench to your right will be SHOWERED with hot 22 brass if the deflector has been removed. Extremely reliable, even when considerably filthy from fired 22 cartridge residue. One of the few semi-autos that will cycle Wolf Match Target. Prices on used examples tend to start around $200 and go up, depending on condition. A $200 finish-worn example will generally shoot as well as an almost-new $450 used shiny-stocked 552 BDL.

Remington 550, 550-1, 550-2 -- The earlier version of the Remington 552, and considerably different in internal design and construction. The 550 will cycle high-spped 22 shorts and Wolf Match Target if reasonably clean and lubricated. Prices sometimes start below that of the low end for the 552 Speedmaster, but condition generally reflects pricing in the $125-$200 range. These are older, pre-WWII guns and have generally seen more use than a typical newer 552. High-end prices can rival that of new 552s (~$500) for NRA VG and Ex examples.

Mossberg 51 and 151 -- These are quintessential Mossberg; orange-tinted stock finish, grooved plastic pistol grip trigger guard, and remarkable accuracy. The 51 is the earlier version with slightly different internals and larger "knob" type cocking handle. Both feed from the buttstock with a teardrop-shaped cutout feed port in the right side of the stock. The spring loaded follower tube is withdrawn from the buttplate to uncover the feed port. The 51/151 comes in two basic configurations, half-stock with a 24" or 26" barrel, and the light, handy, "M" or military-appearing Mannlicher-style stock with a 20" barrel. Equally reliable as the guns mentioned above if kept clean and the cartridge feed stop is kept lubricated. If not, the 51/151 tends to double-feed. Most examples I've handled or owned exhibit the characteristically excellent Mossberg accuracy. Prices on used Mossbergs are climbing due to increasing interest and collector demand, so the 51/151 can be found anywhere from $100-$125 at the low end to as high as $300+ at the high end for beautiful examples.

Ruger 10/22 -- Everybody is familiar with the ubiquitous 10/22 and it's trademark club of a wooden stock, and a universe of aftermarket goodies. I prefer the filled-out lightweight black polymer factory stock (not the one with the hollowed-out butt area with "Ruger" molded in both sides). What else can I say? It's a 10/22 with generally decent accuracy and reliability and not much personality when compared to the classic 22 semi-autos mentioned above, no offense to 10/22 owners. I have three myself, but I shoot the classics much more often.

Marlin 60 -- Great when new, cranky when old, well used, or dirty. I own a new stainless Ducks Unlimited Marlin 60 right now, but have got rid of a couple earlier examples that I got tired of playing with to keep running well. IMO, the Marlin 60 just seems to "wears out" a bit faster than other 22LR semi-autos. Earlier versions had a different cartridge feed block mechanism that was prone to issues, and later models have improved feed guides. My personal "jury" is still out on the longevity of the "improved" Model 60s. My advice if you own a 60 -- clean it after every use to remove wear-inducing grit and gunk.

Regarding 22 leverguns, I have three favorites and I like them all equally for different reasons:

Marlin 39, particularly the 20" 39M "Mountie" -- short and handy, rugged Marlin construction and generally reliable performance and great accuracy. Lever has a comparatively long throw. The 39 is still made by Marlin, but prices on used 39s and 39Ms in particular tend to be in excess of $300, and some examples can command as much as $500 or higher. Exceedingly well-made, the Marlin 39 is THE definitive American 22LR levergun, with apologies to Winchester 94/22 owners. I've owned maybe eight 39s, and still own a 24" 39A, two 20" 39Ms, and a 16" 39TDS.

Marlin 57 Levermatic -- Made from the late 50s to the early 70s, these guns have a very short-throw action consisting mostly of stampings and pins with die-cast cartridge guides. They are hammerless and generally "bulky" in appearance but handle well from the shoulder. The short-throw lever provides for follow-up shots without removing the strong hand from the pistol grip stock. I have a 57 (22LR) and 57M (22 Magnum) and both exhibit phenomenal accuracy. The similar Model 56 is "clip" magazine fed instead of tube fed like the 57.

Browning BL22 -- Another short-throw levergun that's been mentioned above, and probably my favorite 22LR levergun due to that ultra-fast short throw. Like the Marlin 56/57, the lever throw is so short, your strong hand can remain on the straight wrist of the stock. Follow-up shots are nearly as fast as with a semi-auto. Still made by Miroku in Japan for Browning. Used examples can be had for betw. $300 and $450 depending on condition and if Grade 1 plain Jane, or "fancy" Grade 2 with light-coverage scroll "engraving" in the receiver sidewalls. I've had a Grade 1 BL22 since the late 80s, and it sees regular use.

Just my take on the world of 22 semi-autos and leverguns, YMMV. Point is, you don't have to go new or "new design" to own a solid-performing SA or lever rifle in 22LR. There are some comparatively low-priced "vintage" designs out there on dealer shelves and tables, and on auction sites for consideration that will serve you well. Example: I was in the right place at the right time twice in the past two months and picked up another High Standard A102 Carbine "Gill Gun" for $100 and a Mossberg 151M for $145, both nice used guns with only a few handling marks picked up over the past 40-45 years. Two weeks ago I found a really NICE Marlin 57M 22 Magnum Levermatic in a local trader paper for $200, and asking prices on these can be as much as $300-$400 or higher. Nice used 22 semi-autos and leverguns are out there; just be prepared to clean out 40-50 years worth of accumulated crud once you take your new toy home. I've learned that Americans don't clean their 22s.

Noah