View Single Post

Old 06-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Absent Comrade
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member

Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

The auction house values my opinions on collectable firearms, especially S&Ws, so asked me to provide same on the originality of the revolver, etc. as they wanted to be sure there were no ticking time bombs somewhere that could come back to haunt them after the sale. That had happened to them in the past on some clever fakes that both the consignor & the auction house had thought were the real deal. I mainly checked for replaced parts, correct fitters & assemblers stamps, etc. and verified as much of the written provenance I could in a short time. I could not verify, but I couldn't disprove it either, the story that the factory added the engraved inscription 20ys after the fact, as there was no quick & certain way to find the original return & engraving paperwork & invoice in the S&W archives at the CVHM, but the gun is what it is and the engraved inscription doesn't devalue the gun, in my opinion. Several stories have come down over time, that this gun was one of a pair, so collectors need to ferret out where that missing mate may be. Hint: Get a factory letter fron Roy on the inscribed gun. If it was shipped as a pair, identify the serial number of the other gun, and start your hunt! Good Luck! Ed.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: