View Single Post

Old 06-14-2009, 02:05 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Engraving a Revolver

I've long wanted an engraved revolver but have some questions. One of the things I struggle with is figuring out what I want in terms of the engraving. I have zero artistic or creative ability it seems so I just draw a blank when it comes to this question. I know I want a stainless or nickeled gun and I know I don't want the full coverage that I see on some guns. Beyond that I can tell which designs look good to me when I see them but can't create anything from scratch.

The other thing is I shoot everything I own and would likely shoot the engraved revolver as well. What effect does shooting and possibly carrying an engraved revolver have on the engraving? I'm not concerned with re-sale value and such.

Is it usually less expensive to purchase and already engraved gun or have a gun engraved? I have a M66 snubby that may be a candidate or a 4" M19 nickel but I don't think nickel can be engraved?

This picture is from the S&W site. I wonder if that flat ring treatment around the cylinder would help hide the eventual turn ring that will show up from shooting the gun? Or maybe it would have the opposite affect and accentuate the turn ring?