View Single Post

Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM
US Veteran

Liked 21,386 Times in 6,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadin View Post
If you are looking for agreement on it should be altered to another chambering, you've come to the wrong place. I'm a strong believer in old guns should be left just as made. A good example is the number of Webley's that were whizzed off to shoot .45 ACP/AR. Really has done a number on their value and desirability. I would think that it would be even moreso on yours. You would be taking what is a fairly scarce gun (admittedly, with a quite small market) and turning it into what? a shooter without much collector value.
Of course, I am one of the "I don't need to shoot everything I own" group.
I have those that I shoot and many that I don't. Were I of the other camp, I suppose I would load up some BP or really low pressure smokeless loads and give it a try. Either that or get rid of it and use the money toward something more shootable. Over the years I have had quite a few guns that I took out and shot, just to see how they worked. I've discovered that most of them go "bang" and aren't especially accurate. I shoot maybe 20-30 rounds through them and decided that if I'm going to spend time shooting, I should be using something accurate and practice improving my skills. So they go back in the safe or in a display and my "users" go to the range.
But, that's just me. (I don't even like to see an old gun refinished unless it is a real disaster area.)

I too, have many guns that I don't shoot. Not that they can't be shot, just that I don't(hate the cost of centerfire ammo nowadays). I am sort of the other camp---"If I can't shoot it why have it". I am not/was not sure of the value. If it has more value than what I paid for it, then it stays as is. If it was a junker or common as dirt then it would be a canidate to modifiy. Have a feeling that this one is fairly accurate. The rifling is very strong and the trigger is not to be believed ( once set, maybe 2-3 oz., have an Anschutz .22 Match 54 that has a 2-5.5 oz trigger on it and this is as light or lighter). Gun show in a couple of weeks, will look for some .44 Russian black powder loads there. If not it becomes a paperweight on my desk.

AJ