View Single Post

Old 06-26-2009, 06:42 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,796 Times in 475 Posts
Default Winchester Model 62 VS Taurus Copy-which one is the winner? (pic)

Took my 1949 vintage Winchester Model 62A to the range this morning (the one I bought yesterday), accompanied by my stainless steel copy, made by Taurus. I have had the Taurus for about six months, it has taken about 1000 rounds through it to get used to the trigger, maybe the trigger is smoothing out from use.

The Winchester has a gold bead front sight that obscures small targets, the previous owner had it sighted in for a 6 o'clock hold, which works for me. I didn't need to mess with the sights at all. I ran a bunch of different brands of ammunition through it, it seemed to have no preference, shooting all brands into less than an inch at 25 yards. The trigger pull is much less than the Taurus. All shooting was done from the prone position, not bench rested. Shooting .22 shorts through it was fun, even CB shorts grouped well at 25 yards.

The Taurus has a blade front sight that makes hitting small targets easier, even with the heavy trigger. I ran a comparison competition with both rifles, ten shots each, prone at 25 yards, 75 foot small bore rifle targets. Resulting score: Winchester 82, Taurus 83. Quite closely matched. I do think the Taurus had the edge as I have put a lot of rounds through it in the last few months, but you can tell from the Taurus target pics that the trigger can cause groups to open up if you don't concentrate.

Advantage Winchester:

I imagine it will hold it's value much more than the Taurus.
Desirability.
Ability to shoot .22 shorts.
Walnut stock, classic blued steel.

Advantage Taurus:

Stainless steel
Lower purchase price
I'll probably use it more in the field and canoeing, as I don't want to scar or lose the Winchester in a canoe mishap!

These rifles will be fun when company comes, have a little informal shooting contest. I might even buy some of those re-setting steel targets.....

Here's some pics;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC00018.jpg (71.1 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg PIC00019.jpg (72.4 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg PIC00021.jpg (67.9 KB, 188 views)