Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 10-12-2017, 08:22 PM
WuzzFuzz WuzzFuzz is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,040
Likes: 3,057
Liked 3,217 Times in 1,189 Posts
Talking

Quote from the staff.

To ensure adequate staffing, we must have an accurate participation count. Unregistered walk-Ins will not be permitted.
]
• Retired Officers are allowed to qualify on one concealable firearm.
•["] ALL weapons must be brought in a case and unloaded, or in an approved holster.
• *** does not supply any ammunition for this Shoot. Retired Officers need to bring 50 rounds of practice ammunition per qualification attempt.
• Qualified Retired Officers will be required to sign an Injury or Accident Disclaimer.
• Retired Officers who have not had a background check within the past 5 years are required to complete a background check PRIOR to the Shoot.


Note, the last item....Yes we would be required to have a background check if not done in the last five years.....

HOWEVER, if one has a state issued permit to purchase a handgun, which must be conducted by a local law enforcement agency, (which are good for 3 years, cost $5.00) this will meet the requirement for a background check. This document must be provided at the time of qualification shoot.

As far as my LEO card for being issued to a "retired" officer, it is non expiring...It has our photo on it.( smiled, didn't have to be my grumpy old, grouchy look)

We are issued a second LEOSA card with our photo on it, with a expiration date 12 months from the date of our qualification.

There is no mention of whether we qualified with a semi-auto or revolver type of weapon...Only that we are allowed to conceal carry.

OH too...it's a freebe to us old codgers.... We only have to provide our own practice ammo.


WuzzFuzz

Sorry about the color change. I tried to correct that, but...well...you get the picture...Us old codgers are not the most computer savy.

Last edited by WuzzFuzz; 10-12-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #102  
Old 10-17-2017, 11:00 AM
safearm's Avatar
safearm safearm is offline
US Veteran
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,626
Likes: 129
Liked 394 Times in 166 Posts
Default

Just finished my annual qualification with a local department, not the one I retired from. All I received was a sticker to go on the back of my retired LE ID card that states I passed the qualification on the date and the name/ID number of the rangemaster. No identification of weapon, serial number, caliber, etc.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #103  
Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 AM
blues7's Avatar
blues7 blues7 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 845
Liked 2,608 Times in 856 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by safearm View Post
Just finished my annual qualification with a local department, not the one I retired from. All I received was a sticker to go on the back of my retired LE ID card that states I passed the qualification on the date and the name/ID number of the rangemaster. No identification of weapon, serial number, caliber, etc.
I like that method. I wish more states would adopt it to streamline the process and make it less cumbersome.
__________________
3" 686+, 642-1, M&P15 TS
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #104  
Old 10-17-2017, 02:06 PM
H47 H47 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Re: Massachusetts and Connecticut...
I recently did my LEOSA qualification in Maine, have my retired creds and a qualification card issued by the Maine Criminal Justice Academy. I'm wondering if anybody here who is a non-resident of either Mass or Conn, who carries in either state under LEOSA, has had encounters with the authorities in either state, and how they went. Were the Leo's there cognizant of the law, for example, and were any "quirks" encountered that were peculiar to either state. My local police chief told me he had heard of people getting "hung up" there but he couldn't be more specific.

Last edited by H47; 10-17-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 10-17-2017, 09:24 PM
The Big D The Big D is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,751
Likes: 822
Liked 1,423 Times in 556 Posts
Default Zero issues!

LEOSA qualified since 2005. Have traveled to Massachusetts and Connecticut regularly. ZERO issues...and that does include air and land travel.

In general, no matter where you travel you will encounter ZERO issues with professional LEO's.

Be safe.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #106  
Old 10-17-2017, 09:51 PM
Muss Muggins's Avatar
Muss Muggins Muss Muggins is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: southeast Missouri
Posts: 9,567
Likes: 3,679
Liked 12,748 Times in 4,418 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
LEOSA qualified since 2005. Have traveled to Massachusetts and Connecticut regularly. ZERO issues...and that does include air and land travel.

In general, no matter where you travel you will encounter ZERO issues with professional LEO's.

Be safe.
I don't want to belabor your answer, but have you ever met an LEO in MA or CT in an adverse situation where your ability to legally possess a concealed firearm may have been in question, or have you just never had to deal with it?

I've had ZERO issues everywhere I've been in the country, but then again, I've never had to discuss it with an LEO . . .
__________________
Wisdom comes thru fear . . .

Last edited by Muss Muggins; 10-17-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #107  
Old 10-17-2017, 11:20 PM
The Big D The Big D is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,751
Likes: 822
Liked 1,423 Times in 556 Posts
Default Say what?

I cannot fathom an 'adverse' situation with professional law enforcement...anywhere.

That said, I had to display my credentials to a Massachusetts State Trooper whilst boarding a private aircraft at Logan in May.

I taught at UMASS/Amherst for more than twenty (20) years and regularly interacted with on duty Massachusetts LEO's in that capacity. More than a few of those years were whilst I was carrying pursuant to LEOSA.

All said, I simply cannot imagine an 'adverse' interaction with professional LEO's. For the record, I have carried a gun pursuant to LEOSA in at least twenty-five (25) states since retirement. I have become involved in activities in which I identified myself as a gun toting person on more than a few occasions. Nary an issue...ever...anywhere.

Hope that answers your somewhat puzzling question.

Be safe.

PS: re Connecticut, I usually commuted to UMASS via Bradley International Airport...in Connecticut.

Last edited by The Big D; 10-17-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #108  
Old 10-17-2017, 11:33 PM
H47 H47 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Big D et al.... Didn't mean to start a ruckus, and it wasn't I who implied anything adverse. I think you pretty well answered my question, that professional LEO'S have no problem with LEOSA. Several situations can occur in which LE "becomes aware" that one is armed, that don't amount to adversarial ones. Sorry if my question was puzzling, I was just wondering if anybody had experience with any.
Of course it is my hope that my firearm never is seen or questioned, and just as when I was working, I hope I never need to use it. Thanks for the responses.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #109  
Old 10-18-2017, 08:19 AM
The Big D The Big D is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,751
Likes: 822
Liked 1,423 Times in 556 Posts
Default All good, H47...

...my comment re: 'puzzling question' was not directed to you.

I like to share my personal experiences with LEOSA and its practical application.

BTW, ispcapt is the true LEOSA expert herein.

Be safe.

QUOTE=H47;139784573]Big D et al.... Didn't mean to start a ruckus, and it wasn't I who implied anything adverse. ... Sorry if my question was puzzling, ...[/QUOTE]

Last edited by The Big D; 10-18-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #110  
Old 12-17-2017, 04:39 PM
ultra45 ultra45 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 206
Likes: 10
Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwjc View Post
Ultra,

The NJ standard for ACTIVE officers is twice in a one year period, the requirement they post for RETIRED officers is from their own legislation for a state RPO carry permit. Furthermore, that qualification may not be accepted in other states as it differs somewhat from the active officer requirement.

Most retirees I know view it as applying to those who are still captives in NJ.
Forget active, we all know most departments qualify their personnel twice a year. I can see Jersy mandating 2x a year for a permit carrier, but if only qualifing for LEOSA it's once, no matter what Jersy says. Unless of course the retiree has a permit also. It's idiotic IMHO.

Sorry for the late reply, I kinda missed this thread...
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #111  
Old 12-17-2017, 04:43 PM
ultra45 ultra45 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 206
Likes: 10
Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWM View Post
Improvements to LEOSA:

1) Allow Hi-capacity mags to those covered under LEOSA.
2) Clarify that only need to qual with either auto or revolver, not both.
3) Exempt those carrying under LEOSA from the Gun Free School Zone Act.
Notihing to clarify, why would you limit yourself to one or the other? If that's the case, just let one qualify period with no type.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #112  
Old 12-17-2017, 04:49 PM
BE Mike's Avatar
BE Mike BE Mike is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,190
Likes: 601
Liked 1,406 Times in 659 Posts
Default

I've had state licenses since I retired. First Texas and for the past 18 years, Indiana. I recently went through LEOSA qualification for the first time. The instructor said that the sheriff thought it was a good idea and considered anyone who passed, "Free backup for his officers!" We shot both semi-autos and revolvers and were required to pass the course with each one. We had to supply the serial numbers of the handguns, but were told we weren't restricted to them for carry. One thing I wonder about and I've heard through the rumor mill, is the average police officer is unaware of the LEOSA card and what it means.

Last edited by BE Mike; 12-17-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #113  
Old 12-17-2017, 04:54 PM
blues7's Avatar
blues7 blues7 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 845
Liked 2,608 Times in 856 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE Mike View Post
I've had state licenses since I retired. First Texas and for the past 18 years, Indiana. I recently went through LEOSA qualification for the first time. The instructor said that the sheriff thought it was a good idea and considered anyone who passed, "Free backup for his officers!" We shot both semi-autos and revolvers and were required to pass the course with each one.
I've let our local sheriff and deputies know that if I can ever be of help I'm only too happy to be there for them.

Fortunately, our locals still consider us retirees as part of the fraternity and are only too happy to be there and arrange for our qualifications.
__________________
3" 686+, 642-1, M&P15 TS
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #114  
Old 12-20-2017, 11:22 PM
JWM JWM is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 101
Likes: 3
Liked 74 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Did my second LEOSA qual a few weeks ago since retirement. I reside in SC and this state basically lets local LE administer the program. The feeling here is that it does not matter whether you qual revolver or semi auto. Good to go either way. They keep it simple; just fire the 30 round course, and see you next year. No extra training or classes. About a week letter, you get a letter from local PD on official letterhead that you got a qualifying score. Fold it up and tuck it into my retired creds.

Last edited by JWM; 12-20-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #115  
Old 07-11-2018, 02:16 PM
blues7's Avatar
blues7 blues7 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 845
Liked 2,608 Times in 856 Posts
Default

Good to go for another year. Letter of thanks sent off to the county sheriff's office (again) for making the entire process as convenient and pleasant as possible.
__________________
3" 686+, 642-1, M&P15 TS
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 07-11-2018, 02:43 PM
apollo99 apollo99 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: ARIZONA
Posts: 958
Likes: 92
Liked 1,338 Times in 568 Posts
Default

I'm due in a few weeks for my yearly qualification. Either the sheriff's department or the local PD will do it for me. I'd rather have the PD guy as the Sheriff's deputy makes me do push-ups and run around. I asked him why and he said that the slot time he had for me was always with the SWAT team. It seems that my year is up when their 6 month qualification is up. Lucky me. I also get to qualify with my AR-15 and sniper rifle at the same time.

Last edited by apollo99; 07-11-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #117  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:02 PM
blues7's Avatar
blues7 blues7 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 845
Liked 2,608 Times in 856 Posts
Default

They were doing AR's on the other side. I could've brought mine but didn't think to.

(At least I didn't have to do push-ups. Today's my day off from weight and cardio training during the week.)
__________________
3" 686+, 642-1, M&P15 TS
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #118  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:34 PM
Weimar Weimar is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North of Spokane, WA
Posts: 478
Likes: 477
Liked 571 Times in 264 Posts
Default

This has been the reason I have not done the LEOSA - as retired US Army Military Police, it was decided we fell under the act a number of years ago, and now all the services will give you a card. I moved last fall from PA to WA state and figure I will just get a CCW from WA, the advantage to getting the LEOSA is that Idaho is very close to my home.


Ed


Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgem612 View Post
My problem is with the annual qualification. The cost of range time, instructor time and ammunition all adds up. Everyone doesnt get it for free. Being retired I am on a fixed income. It's not that I cant qualify i was a certified police firearms instructor for over 30 years and developed courses of fire and trained thousands of officers. It's the pain in the *** that annual qualifications places on any officer particularly those who have moved or have been retired for a long time in my case over 20 years. Not only am I 1200 miles from my home state I dont know the local cops, chiefs(and I was one) sheriff etc to qualify locally. None of that is required for a state CCW which is good in most states and lasts seven years. While LEOSA has some benefits, too me its not worth the effort. Additionally I personally feel that if a ordinary citizen and there are millions can qualify for a multi-year CCW license with little or no training that license should be accepted as meeting LEOSA requirements for training. Present your retired identification and state CCW and you should be good to go. After all you had many years of firearms training and qualifications. So if a state issued CCW is good enough to give the average resident the right to carry it ought to be good enough for the retired officer. LEOSA needs to be changed to reflect that IMO. (But I know that is not going to happen)
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #119  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:45 PM
NCW Ray NCW Ray is online now
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 813
Likes: 798
Liked 452 Times in 239 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimar View Post
This has been the reason I have not done the LEOSA - as retired US Army Military Police, it was decided we fell under the act a number of years ago, and now all the services will give you a card. I moved last fall from PA to WA state and figure I will just get a CCW from WA, the advantage to getting the LEOSA is that Idaho is very close to my home.


Ed
You might double check but I believe Idaho honors your Wa CPL, so if that's the only other state your interested in carrying in, LEOSA certification wouldn't be required.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #120  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Weimar Weimar is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North of Spokane, WA
Posts: 478
Likes: 477
Liked 571 Times in 264 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCW Ray View Post
You might double check but I believe Idaho honors your Wa CPL, so if that's the only other state your interested in carrying in, LEOSA certification wouldn't be required.
I saw that, it was Oregon I was thinking of (I was born in WA, but moved away after army retirement due to jobs, finally got back 'home")
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #121  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:00 PM
blues7's Avatar
blues7 blues7 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 845
Liked 2,608 Times in 856 Posts
Default

I get the range time with the sheriff's office for free.

I pay for my own ammo and the $25 annual fee to the state DOJ for the card they send me which demonstrates that I have met the state standard for LE and the firearms I qualified with.

In my case, if I need to go north to visit family it's a must. Otherwise carry in those particular states would be prohibited.
__________________
3" 686+, 642-1, M&P15 TS
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #122  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:42 PM
The Big D The Big D is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,751
Likes: 822
Liked 1,423 Times in 556 Posts
Default Update...perhaps a surprise therein.

The Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commission does a large amount of the LEOSA training in the great state of Maryland. As noted previously, a classroom component is required.

Part of the classroom is an update about certain facilities wherein carry is not allowed...and those places where it is.

Had not been to Oriole Park at Camden Yards (home of the pitiful Baltimore Orioles) in about five years and had not carried there since my retirement. Was told the procedure TO carry there and used it without a glitch.

Simply ask for the Baltimore PD officer inside every gate (before going through the magnetometer) and present your LEOSA credentials. Officer will verify and note your section/seat number and you are good to go.

I submit this given that many ballparks/stadia visited recently do NOT allow CCW.

Hope this is useful.

Be safe.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #123  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:08 PM
sigp220.45's Avatar
sigp220.45 sigp220.45 is offline
US Veteran
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,326
Likes: 11,693
Liked 11,726 Times in 1,926 Posts
Default

I love LEOSA threads.

Its pretty simple here in CO. 40 bucks, bring your own ammo. The SO boys do it on their own time. There is a carbon copy form to record make of the gun and SN, but no mention of either on the card they give out. The course is super easy - 5 shot strings, no reloading on the clock, 30 rounds total. The last two years it was mostly Shields and Glock 42s and 43s. This year I bet some Sig 365s show up.

Everything costs money in Colorado, so I don’t mind the $3.33 a month it works out to. I like to travel, and now that National Reciprocity appears as dead as Jacob Marley I don’t have to play will they/won’t they when I cross a state line.
__________________
Amity means friendship.

Last edited by sigp220.45; 07-11-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #124  
Old 07-11-2018, 07:37 PM
Cal44 Cal44 is online now
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,746
Likes: 3,534
Liked 3,956 Times in 1,300 Posts
Default

Well, I used to think the LEOSA program was a great program for retired law enforcement officers.

As a retired computer engineer I was a bit jealous.

But I'm starting to think just getting a civilian CCW license from my home state and a few other states that grant non-resident licenses is less hassle.

Sure there are a few states I can't carry in, but I have a solution for that problem -- don't go there.

LEOSA sounds like a major can of worms. Every district has different sets of rules.

Last edited by Cal44; 07-11-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #125  
Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 PM
les.b's Avatar
les.b les.b is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: May 2015
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 4,051
Likes: 61,976
Liked 14,439 Times in 3,299 Posts
Default

Cal44, that's one reason that I keep a CCW license as well as my LEOSA credentials. Some years, due to scheduling conflicts, my annual certification runs out before I can get recertified. But my CCW still covers me in, something like 39 states that recognize the WV CCW. Usually there is no more than a week or so of time that my LEOSA is not good, and then most years there is no lapse.

But it's sort of like a belt and suspenders. And I still have hopes of nationwide reciprocity for all CCWs.

Best Regards, Les
__________________
SWCA 3084, SWHF 495, PGCA 3064
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #126  
Old 07-11-2018, 10:30 PM
Muley Gil Muley Gil is offline
US Veteran
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The SW Va Blue Ridge
Posts: 10,697
Likes: 29,278
Liked 8,875 Times in 3,527 Posts
Default

I did my yearly LEOSA qual the end of May with the sheriff's office over the mountain. In the past, the SO did a very slow, relaxed 18 shot qualification, with 15 yards being the maximum range. When I showed up, the LT said that they had decided to do the 25 yard state qual for everybody. Gulp, I haven't shot at 25 yards since I retired.

Well, it wasn't too bad. Shot a 85% using my Browning High Power. What was funny was that when the LT went to record my score and make, model and serial number. He asked what model I was shooting and I told him, "A Browning High Power", well, he wanted to know the model number and had a hard time believing there wasn't one.

Youngsters!

BTW, my card from the sheriff's office does not say what firearm was used, just that I have met the annual firearms training and qualification standards established by the SO to carry a concealed handgun. Oh, and they had me wear a vest while I shot. Thinking back to my cop days, there were several officers that I didn't feel all that safe around back then as well.
__________________
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Muley Gil; 07-12-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #127  
Old 07-11-2018, 10:32 PM
Muss Muggins's Avatar
Muss Muggins Muss Muggins is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: southeast Missouri
Posts: 9,567
Likes: 3,679
Liked 12,748 Times in 4,418 Posts
Default

Every state, and really every agency, varies with regard to LEOSA qualifications . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuzzFuzz View Post
Quote from the staff.

To ensure adequate staffing, we must have an accurate participation count. Unregistered walk-Ins will not be permitted.
]
• Retired Officers are allowed to qualify on one concealable firearm.
•["] ALL weapons must be brought in a case and unloaded, or in an approved holster.
• *** does not supply any ammunition for this Shoot. Retired Officers need to bring 50 rounds of practice ammunition per qualification attempt.
• Qualified Retired Officers will be required to sign an Injury or Accident Disclaimer.
• Retired Officers who have not had a background check within the past 5 years are required to complete a background check PRIOR to the Shoot.


Note, the last item....Yes we would be required to have a background check if not done in the last five years.....

HOWEVER, if one has a state issued permit to purchase a handgun, which must be conducted by a local law enforcement agency, (which are good for 3 years, cost $5.00) this will meet the requirement for a background check. This document must be provided at the time of qualification shoot.

As far as my LEO card for being issued to a "retired" officer, it is non expiring...It has our photo on it.( smiled, didn't have to be my grumpy old, grouchy look)

We are issued a second LEOSA card with our photo on it, with a expiration date 12 months from the date of our qualification.

There is no mention of whether we qualified with a semi-auto or revolver type of weapon...Only that we are allowed to conceal carry.

OH too...it's a freebe to us old codgers.... We only have to provide our own practice ammo.


WuzzFuzz

Sorry about the color change. I tried to correct that, but...well...you get the picture...Us old codgers are not the most computer savy.
__________________
Wisdom comes thru fear . . .
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #128  
Old 07-11-2018, 10:47 PM
CH4's Avatar
CH4 CH4 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Quezon City, PI
Posts: 2,278
Likes: 3,892
Liked 3,344 Times in 1,253 Posts
Default

“As the legislative history, statute, and case law make clear, if you qualify on one type of firearm, you can carry any firearm of that type under LEOSA. Accordingly, qualifying with a handgun enables you to carry any handgun under LEOSA, be it pistol or revolver. No separate qualification is necessary unless the state or agency has a different qualification standard for it.”

That’s the way the State of Nevada interprets Title 18 §926b/c. I qualify annually with any handgun and I am allowed to carry whatever handgun I choose. I believe “firearm type” diffentiates between handguns and long guns, not revolver or pistol.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #129  
Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 PM
JWM JWM is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 101
Likes: 3
Liked 74 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4 View Post
“As the legislative history, statute, and case law make clear, if you qualify on one type of firearm, you can carry any firearm of that type under LEOSA. Accordingly, qualifying with a handgun enables you to carry any handgun under LEOSA, be it pistol or revolver. No separate qualification is necessary unless the state or agency has a different qualification standard for it.”

That’s the way the State of Nevada interprets Title 18 §926b/c. I qualify annually with any handgun and I am allowed to carry whatever handgun I choose. I believe “firearm type” diffentiates between handguns and long guns, not revolver or pistol.
That is the way South Carolina interprets it too. A handgun, is a handgun, is a handgun.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #130  
Old 07-12-2018, 03:34 PM
apollo99 apollo99 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: ARIZONA
Posts: 958
Likes: 92
Liked 1,338 Times in 568 Posts
Default

I qualify with my semi-auto first, Then If I want to get the revolver qualification in, the instructor fits me in between the jokes and comments about being a dinosaur and the "hurry up, your holding us all up with that antique." I remembers the day when the .357 revolver was the king of the hill in law enforcement, next thing they won't have telephones mounted in the cars and they'll be putting in computers, and they'll stop leather jackets.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
  #131  
Old 07-22-2018, 06:38 AM
Kframerbluvr Kframerbluvr is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 573
Likes: 3,832
Liked 295 Times in 192 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
The Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commission does a large amount of the LEOSA training in the great state of Maryland. As noted previously, a classroom component is required.

Part of the classroom is an update about certain facilities wherein carry is not allowed...and those places where it is.

Had not been to Oriole Park at Camden Yards (home of the pitiful Baltimore Orioles) in about five years and had not carried there since my retirement. Was told the procedure TO carry there and used it without a glitch.

Simply ask for the Baltimore PD officer inside every gate (before going through the magnetometer) and present your LEOSA credentials. Officer will verify and note your section/seat number and you are good to go.

I submit this given that many ballparks/stadia visited recently do NOT allow CCW.

Hope this is useful.

Be safe.
Thank you for this information. My son and future DIL live in “Ballmer” as the older locals pronounce Baltimore. May go to an Orioles game in the future.
I always carry either my G27 and/or 442 when in Charm City.

Last edited by Kframerbluvr; 07-22-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #132  
Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 AM
SuperMan SuperMan is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rochester, NH USA
Posts: 2,690
Likes: 342
Liked 2,155 Times in 782 Posts
Default

One of the above posters stated that he was surprised that so few LEOs know about LEOSA...I think the reason is that most of them don't care. 95+% of the LEOs I have worked with didn't carry a gun off-duty when they were full time...and they are going to carry after they retire....at their own expense...

When I worked for Dallas PD we were required to be armed off duty if we were in the city....from what I was told that changed in the 1990s and don't know what the policy is now. In the two smaller departments I worked for after, in the 38 man department only two of us carried off-duty. When both of us went to a 68 man department only us and the chief firearms instructor carried. I was just talking with with the chief firearms instructor in the town I was from in Connecticut. He said that "maybe" 25% of their officers carry off-duty....I'll bet it isn't even 10%.

Anyone come from a department that has a high percentage of officers who carry off-duty and have a lot of officers doing the LEOSA program after retirement?

Bob
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #133  
Old 07-22-2018, 08:07 AM
Muss Muggins's Avatar
Muss Muggins Muss Muggins is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: southeast Missouri
Posts: 9,567
Likes: 3,679
Liked 12,748 Times in 4,418 Posts
Default

In my observations, the percentage of officers who carry under LEOSA is about the same as the percentage of the general populace who obtain their CCW permit. Most retirees I know who utilize LEOSA also have their respective state permits as well, which may skew those private citizen stats even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan View Post
One of the above posters stated that he was surprised that so few LEOs know about LEOSA...I think the reason is that most of them don't care. 95+% of the LEOs I have worked with didn't carry a gun off-duty when they were full time...and they are going to carry after they retire....at their own expense...

When I worked for Dallas PD we were required to be armed off duty if we were in the city....from what I was told that changed in the 1990s and don't know what the policy is now. In the two smaller departments I worked for after, in the 38 man department only two of us carried off-duty. When both of us went to a 68 man department only us and the chief firearms instructor carried. I was just talking with with the chief firearms instructor in the town I was from in Connecticut. He said that "maybe" 25% of their officers carry off-duty....I'll bet it isn't even 10%.

Anyone come from a department that has a high percentage of officers who carry off-duty and have a lot of officers doing the LEOSA program after retirement?

Bob
__________________
Wisdom comes thru fear . . .
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:10 AM
kld555 kld555 is online now
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 5
Likes: 297
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Default

The dept. that I retired from in 1998 required that we carry a firearm and our dept. issued I.D. when off duty. In reference to the LEOSA issue, I went through the bs once, didn't actually ever feel the need to do it again. Just sick of the mess the govt. creates. Life goes on with or without LEOSA.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #135  
Old 07-28-2018, 03:14 PM
Russell Cottle's Avatar
Russell Cottle Russell Cottle is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pawnee, Oklahoma
Posts: 267
Likes: 7,866
Liked 549 Times in 124 Posts
Default

When I retired in 2004, the state sent me a CCW stating I was a retired officer authorized to carry concealed in the state of Oklahoma and quoted the statute. Nothing about the type of firearm I was qualified to carry. There was no expiration date and the issuing state agency, C.L.E.E.T. was/is responsible for background checks every 4 years. I was recently informed by C.L.E.E.T. that the non-expiration had been changed and I would be required to renew in 2022.
__________________
Sheriff Russell Cottle. ret
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #136  
Old 07-28-2018, 03:24 PM
blues7's Avatar
blues7 blues7 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 845
Liked 2,608 Times in 856 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Cottle View Post
When I retired in 2004, the state sent me a CCW stating I was a retired officer authorized to carry concealed in the state of Oklahoma and quoted the statute. Nothing about the type of firearm I was qualified to carry. There was no expiration date and the issuing state agency, C.L.E.E.T. was/is responsible for background checks every 4 years. I was recently informed by C.L.E.E.T. that the non-expiration had been changed and I would be required to renew in 2022.
That would be fine in your state of residence, but does not meet the requirements for LEOSA since, by statute, you have to have an annual qualification conducted either by the agency you retired from, or a firearms instructor authorized to qualify LEOs in your state of residence.
__________________
3" 686+, 642-1, M&P15 TS
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #137  
Old 07-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Russell Cottle's Avatar
Russell Cottle Russell Cottle is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pawnee, Oklahoma
Posts: 267
Likes: 7,866
Liked 549 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues7 View Post
That would be fine in your state of residence, but does not meet the requirements for LEOSA since, by statute, you have to have an annual qualification conducted either by the agency you retired from, or a firearms instructor authorized to qualify LEOs in your state of residence.
Since an Oklahoma permit is recognized by all but 9 states I don't worry about it and never have had a problem in the 14yrs I've been retired.
__________________
Sheriff Russell Cottle. ret
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #138  
Old 07-28-2018, 04:59 PM
blues7's Avatar
blues7 blues7 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 845
Liked 2,608 Times in 856 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Cottle View Post
Since an Oklahoma permit is recognized by all but 9 states I don't worry about it and never have had a problem in the 14yrs I've been retired.
I hear ya. I've been retired for the same period. NC pretty much recognizes most every state and is recognized by most...but...I have family in a couple of states that don't reciprocate so I need the LEOSA coverage.

It's not too much of a burden. A morning spent with the sheriff's dept. to qualify annually, (a better bunch would be hard to find), and a money order to the state DOJ for an annual certification card.
__________________
3" 686+, 642-1, M&P15 TS
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #139  
Old 07-28-2018, 05:00 PM
Smokey613 Smokey613 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 11
Likes: 23
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues7 View Post
That would be fine in your state of residence, but does not meet the requirements for LEOSA since, by statute, you have to have an annual qualification conducted either by the agency you retired from, or a firearms instructor authorized to qualify LEOs in your state of residence.
This brings up an interesting question. As a TCOLE firearms instructor, I can qualify retired officers for LEOSA compliance and do several a year. I plan to retire on 12-31-2018 and we are moving to Alabama. My TCOLE Firearm Instructor certification does not expire as far as I know and my wife and I plan to keep our Texas Peace Officer licenses active even though we will not hold an active commission. Would it be acceptable for me to qualify my wife annually to meet the LEOSA requirements?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #140  
Old 07-28-2018, 05:10 PM
blues7's Avatar
blues7 blues7 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 845
Liked 2,608 Times in 856 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey613 View Post
This brings up an interesting question. As a TCOLE firearms instructor, I can qualify retired officers for LEOSA compliance and do several a year. I plan to retire on 12-31-2018 and we are moving to Alabama. My TCOLE Firearm Instructor certification does not expire as far as I know and my wife and I plan to keep our Texas Peace Officer licenses active even though we will not hold an active commission. Would it be acceptable for me to qualify my wife annually to meet the LEOSA requirements?
I'm not aware of any conflict of interest regulations but I'm not a lawyer or an expert on all the nuance contained in HR 218.

That said, I think she has to be qualified by someone who can certify LEOs in her state of residence which will no longer be TX.

So, unless you get certification for AL, I think she'll have to go with a local dept. or private instructor who can certify LEOs in AL.

That's my understanding but there may be others with more specific knowledge.
__________________
3" 686+, 642-1, M&P15 TS
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #141  
Old 07-29-2018, 12:36 PM
Smokey613 Smokey613 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 11
Likes: 23
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Upon checking further, Alabama makes it pretty easy to get your LEOSA annual firearms qualification card so that looks like the route we will go. You sumbit a request online with documentation, they assign a location for you to report to and you qualify and good to go. There is a small fee but worth it for us.
__________________
Texas LEO, NRA Endowed
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #142  
Old 07-29-2018, 03:56 PM
GerSan69 GerSan69 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: metro Phoenix
Posts: 1,610
Likes: 6,874
Liked 1,345 Times in 613 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo99 View Post
I'm due in a few weeks for my yearly qualification. Either the sheriff's department or the local PD will do it for me. I'd rather have the PD guy as the Sheriff's deputy makes me do push-ups and run around. I asked him why and he said that the slot time he had for me was always with the SWAT team. It seems that my year is up when their 6 month qualification is up. Lucky me. I also get to qualify with my AR-15 and sniper rifle at the same time.
Which city and county? I did mine with Mesa PD the first couple years after I moved down here....
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 07-29-2018, 04:03 PM
GerSan69 GerSan69 is offline
Member
LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms LEOSA: Qualifications and Covered Firearms  
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: metro Phoenix
Posts: 1,610
Likes: 6,874
Liked 1,345 Times in 613 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey613 View Post
This brings up an interesting question. As a TCOLE firearms instructor, I can qualify retired officers for LEOSA compliance and do several a year. I plan to retire on 12-31-2018 and we are moving to Alabama. My TCOLE Firearm Instructor certification does not expire as far as I know and my wife and I plan to keep our Texas Peace Officer licenses active even though we will not hold an active commission. Would it be acceptable for me to qualify my wife annually to meet the LEOSA requirements?
I would expect that if they allow private testing, there is some sort of "approved instructor list" of non-agency people acceptable for LEOSA qualifications. I suggest checking with whoever is the agency responsible for LEOSA in your new state.
In AZ, for example, the Dept of Public Safety (DPS) publishes the application, issues a card similar to the AZ CCW permit and has a list of approved instructors on their web site. OTOH, Colorado does the same by each county instead.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Qualifications today jbull380 The Lounge 6 05-02-2012 09:45 AM
Annual Qualifications Palmetto Sharpshooter S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 60 04-22-2012 02:25 PM
CMP qualifications ? johngalt The Lounge 10 06-10-2010 07:58 PM
Qualifications-Made it!! jimmyj The Lounge 4 12-13-2009 03:00 PM
Police Shooting Qualifications? Plunky McPlunker The Lounge 4 10-06-2009 10:48 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2018
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)