Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Be still's Avatar
Be still Be still is offline
SWCA Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SE USA
Posts: 1,432
Likes: 1,173
Liked 560 Times in 256 Posts
Default Why do people carry guns?

Been toting a gun since I was old enough to. I like guns. Don't want to become a victim. To protect my property if need be. For squirrels and such. Because I can. Too many criminals in the world with illegal guns, and that won't stop anytime soon. Have a right to carry.

Young man told me a man carries a gun because he used to have to carry on a job somewhere. Anyone want to help debunk that? I just listened for then, but do want to look into it. Young lady carries because she drives a lot.

To some folk, it is second nature. To some, it would take a LEO too long to get to their farm. Fact is, more and more people sign up every day for a carry license. Many are young with no LEO experience. I would guess people just feel better carrying. Maybe they feel more safe carrying in today's world. Maybe they know it is just the right thing to do. People know.

Maybe it's best to just listen sometimes?
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #2  
Old 03-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Lee's Landing Billy Lee's Landing Billy is offline
SWCA Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Battery Oaks Range, S.C.
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 4,984
Liked 2,882 Times in 1,006 Posts
Default

In the small state that I live in, S.C., they are now issuing CWPs with numbers over 300,000. If you figure all the folks under 21 that can't get one, and the vast majority over 65 that don't want one, and the criminal element that can't get one, that leaves us with about 1 in 8 that can carry legally. That makes criminals in S.C. at least take a second look at who they are going to victimize next. I have been carrying legally since 1976, just like my tag says, everyday.
__________________
Carry and shoot everyday!
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Like Post:
  #3  
Old 03-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Shark Bait's Avatar
Shark Bait Shark Bait is online now
US Veteran
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,104
Likes: 1,945
Liked 2,456 Times in 572 Posts
Default

I think many people are realizing the world is only becoming more dangerous. Police are often spread thin, and who has to take care of the situation until they get there? We do. I carry for a variety of reasons, but this is the main one.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
  #4  
Old 03-11-2017, 09:38 AM
J.R.Bauer J.R.Bauer is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
I think many people are realizing the world is only becoming more dangerous. Police are often spread thin, and who has to take care of the situation until they get there? We do. I carry for a variety of reasons, but this is the main one.
I believe that Police carry not to protect you but to protect themselves.
John

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Like Post:
  #5  
Old 03-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Shooting Padre's Avatar
Shooting Padre Shooting Padre is offline
US Veteran
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 1,483
Likes: 392
Liked 787 Times in 337 Posts
Default

Why do I carry a gun. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. And carrying a police officer is too much strain on my back.
__________________
Endeavor to persevere. <><
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-11-2017, 09:43 AM
jimmyj's Avatar
jimmyj jimmyj is online now
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DUNNELLON, FLORIDA USA
Posts: 7,870
Likes: 841
Liked 6,936 Times in 2,172 Posts
Default

I carry because I am so good looking and sexy that I am fearful that a gang of Hollywood starlets will kidnap me and make me their slave.
(so far its working)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Inusuit Inusuit is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SE Wyoming
Posts: 1,280
Likes: 1,458
Liked 1,546 Times in 585 Posts
Default

The one time my wife called 911 to report someone trying to break into our house (long story, but it was a friend concerned for her welfare), she was told it would be 40 minutes before a deputy could arrive at our rural location. Her Glock 26 and our two Rottweilers gave her great comfort until the situation sorted out.

I carry every day. I consider situational awareness my first line of defense. I do not go to stupid places occupied by stupid people at stupid times. I have no delusions about being the hero who stops a shooter whether at the the theater or the local stop and rob store. Being armed gives me an option in any situation. My first option is to be a good witness and get out of Dodge if I can. But if I cannot move myself, my family, my friends to safety, I have the option of engaging the shooter instead of begging for my life.

I carry because my safety and the safety of my family is my responsibility. I work and socialize with law enforcement. I have great respect for the work they do. But as one of my cop friends says in jest, "We are basically garbage men. We arrive after the action and clean up the mess."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-11-2017, 09:59 AM
BB57's Avatar
BB57 BB57 is online now
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 1,340
Likes: 523
Liked 2,708 Times in 869 Posts
Default

There are a couple reasons.

First, I was born and raised in South Dakota an, especially back then, guns were just tools everyone had on the farm or ranch. I'm comfortable carrying a gun, just like I'm comfortable carrying a folding knife. They are tools and it's accurate to say that it's a life long habit carrying those tools.

Second, the county I worked in was 90 miles long and a 45 minute response time was as good as it got if you were on the wrong end of the county when something happened, even running code at 120mph on good road. Add in gravel roads, inclement weather, etc and it could be much longer. It was pretty obvious to everyone living in that rural corner of SD, that law enforcement was never going to get there in time to prevent anything.

The only difference in suburban and urban areas is the that law enforcement won't arrive quite as late. But when they arrive, all they'll usually be able to do is give condolences, collect evidence, take statements, write the report and try to catch the guy before he victimizes someone else. In an urban area, 8 minutes is a pretty good average response time, but an assailant can do a great deal of harm in that 8 minutes.

In short, we are responsible for our own self defense - the police will always be there too late.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-11-2017, 10:00 AM
CajunBass's Avatar
CajunBass CajunBass is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Chesterfield, Va.
Posts: 3,891
Likes: 2,570
Liked 5,171 Times in 1,526 Posts
Default

I mostly carry because I like guns, and like having one on me.
__________________
John 3:16 .
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
  #10  
Old 03-11-2017, 10:06 AM
dben002's Avatar
dben002 dben002 is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Triad Area North Carolina
Posts: 896
Likes: 624
Liked 1,046 Times in 432 Posts
Default

Short anwser: Cause I can't carry a policeman.
__________________
Hipcocked45
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-11-2017, 10:51 AM
psjoe psjoe is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 231
Likes: 51
Liked 176 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inusuit View Post
I carry every day. I consider situational awareness my first line of defense. I do not go to stupid places occupied by stupid people at stupid times. I have no delusions about being the hero who stops a shooter whether at the the theater or the local stop and rob store. Being armed gives me an option in any situation. My first option is to be a good witness and get out of Dodge if I can. But if I cannot move myself, my family, my friends to safety, I have the option of engaging the shooter instead of begging for my life.

I carry because my safety and the safety of my family is my responsibility.
Inusuit ->I could not have articulated it better
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #12  
Old 03-11-2017, 10:53 AM
blues7's Avatar
blues7 blues7 is online now
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns
Posts: 1,093
Likes: 712
Liked 1,977 Times in 671 Posts
Default

Good citizenship calls for being responsible for ourselves and our families...and sometimes for our friends and neighbors as well.
__________________
3" 686+, 642-1, M&P15 TS
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Like Post:
  #13  
Old 03-11-2017, 10:53 AM
gwpercle's Avatar
gwpercle gwpercle is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 2,792
Likes: 1,155
Liked 1,927 Times in 1,078 Posts
Default

I carry a gun because the bad guy's carry gun's.

I've had the experience of having a bad guy stand at arms length and pull the trigger 4 times. I was unarmed . I didn't care for the "shooting fish in a barrel " experience, with me being the fish. Next time this "fish" is at least going to have a sporting chance.

The guy was out on Parole....had done jail time for surprise ....Armed Robbery and there was a warrant out for his arrest on an attempted murder charge. With all that , he still gets to carry a gun.
If he can carry one then I'm going to carry one .

Last edited by gwpercle; 03-12-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Like Post:
  #14  
Old 03-11-2017, 10:53 AM
pharmer's Avatar
pharmer pharmer is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Santo las nubes, Florida
Posts: 4,745
Likes: 1,275
Liked 4,321 Times in 1,663 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inusuit View Post
Being armed gives me an option in any situation. My first option is to be a good witness and get out of Dodge if I can. But if I cannot move myself, my family, my friends to safety, I have the option of engaging the shooter instead of begging for my life.
Saved me all that typing. Joe
__________________
Deplorably Optimistic
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
  #15  
Old 03-11-2017, 10:55 AM
KSDeputy's Avatar
KSDeputy KSDeputy is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 986
Likes: 305
Liked 810 Times in 385 Posts
Default

I carry because I arrested a lot of bad people. Most did not like being arrested. We have constitutional carry in KS, any law abiding citizen can carry openly or concealed.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
  #16  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:07 AM
amcline82's Avatar
amcline82 amcline82 is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 278
Likes: 94
Liked 146 Times in 85 Posts
Default

Watch the news and that is reason enough to carry. And a cop is to heavy.

Friends don't let friends buy a Taurus
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #17  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Qball's Avatar
Qball Qball is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,799
Likes: 6,144
Liked 4,357 Times in 1,267 Posts
Default

It's more handy than a Broadsword

__________________
Jamie wants big boom
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:16 AM
jimmyj's Avatar
jimmyj jimmyj is online now
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DUNNELLON, FLORIDA USA
Posts: 7,870
Likes: 841
Liked 6,936 Times in 2,172 Posts
Smile Why People Carry Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
Short anwser: Cause I can't carry a policeman.
a cop is too heavy to carry plus he wants to stop for doughnuts frequently
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
  #19  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:18 AM
haywood's Avatar
haywood haywood is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. Ohio
Posts: 710
Likes: 2,799
Liked 726 Times in 322 Posts
Default

I carry a gun because I like guns. I also hope it will keep me from becoming a victim. That being said I HOPE I NEVER NEED IT.
__________________
Two Revolvers every day
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #20  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Kanewpadle's Avatar
Kanewpadle Kanewpadle is online now
US Veteran
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Washifornia
Posts: 7,645
Likes: 6,716
Liked 9,343 Times in 3,198 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj View Post
I carry because I am so good looking and sexy that I am fearful that a gang of Hollywood starlets will kidnap me and make me their slave.
(so far its working)
Wake up Jimmy. Dreams over.
__________________
Life Is A Sunny Beach
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #21  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Old cop Old cop is online now
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,675
Likes: 709
Liked 5,845 Times in 1,902 Posts
Default

I was a working cop for 30 years and had some experiences that taught me ccw is a smart move. One experience was when I was a young cop, off duty, and needed to make a run to get milk for the kids. Went out w/o my off-duty gun and had a run in w/a bunch of jerks who ran me off the road, got out and offered to mess me up. My badge was in my wallet and I acted like I was armed to get out of the situation. Next day I found all my tires cut. Wonder who did it.
__________________
Old Cop
LEO (Ret.)

Last edited by Old cop; 03-11-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #22  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:22 AM
CScott CScott is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: N. New Mexico
Posts: 242
Likes: 520
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
Default

I mostly take a gun along just for fun, I've done so for nearly 50 years. I'm far more likely to encounter a tin can in the desert than some type of "bad guy". But should the need arise, all those dead tin cans are proof that I can make things "hot" for someone behaving badly.
Scott
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #23  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:25 AM
CScott CScott is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: N. New Mexico
Posts: 242
Likes: 520
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanewpadle View Post
Wake up Jimmy. Dreams over.
Oh come on, let him dream for a while.

He can tell us about it later.
Scott
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #24  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:36 AM
robvious robvious is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Eastern Nebraska
Posts: 507
Likes: 947
Liked 863 Times in 316 Posts
Default

I grew up with a father that did custom leather work... lots of time spent with LEOs at the kitchen table and the range... on more than one occasion my father was asked "what are you packing today Joe?" by officers he knew... at the time it was not legal to do so, but an affirmative defense was allowed... and we knew the city prosecutor, and he carried... the officers wanted my father as backup... and now as an old man myself, I have been chastised for not carrying by my officer friends as well... they will tell you they need the help out there... most politicians and police chiefs won't acknowledge this, the the rank and file often will... the old "good guy with a gun" thing is true...
so I do it for me, my family and as a civic duty...
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #25  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:43 AM
ChattanoogaPhil's Avatar
ChattanoogaPhil ChattanoogaPhil is offline
Moderator
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 13,977
Likes: 7,052
Liked 18,363 Times in 5,415 Posts
Default

If I was not already a gun enthusiast would I have gone out and purchased a gun and trained to carry absent any other interest in guns? I really don't know the answer to that.

There's probably a lot of threats to my life that are far more likely that I don't spend near the time, attention, effort or money on compared to gun carry. I know guys who are morbidly obese, puff on cigs and gulp down Cokes all day who would not think about going anywhere unarmed to protect themselves from bodily harm. One guy at the club looked like he wasn't going to survive the walk on a hot summer day to hang his target.. yet bent my ear for an hour about survival preparedness. So... whatever.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 03-11-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:50 AM
dben002's Avatar
dben002 dben002 is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Triad Area North Carolina
Posts: 896
Likes: 624
Liked 1,046 Times in 432 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj View Post
I carry because I am so good looking and sexy that I am fearful that a gang of Hollywood starlets will kidnap me and make me their slave.
(so far its working)
After thinking about this reasoning, I may have to consider giving up CC. I may be missing a lot and not know about it....as you say, it's working for me also.........
__________________
Hipcocked45
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #27  
Old 03-11-2017, 12:37 PM
DevilDog72's Avatar
DevilDog72 DevilDog72 is offline
US Veteran
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mansfield,Texas
Posts: 867
Likes: 5,545
Liked 1,500 Times in 485 Posts
Default

I was a victim once many years ago.... will not be that way again.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #28  
Old 03-11-2017, 12:59 PM
okiegtrider's Avatar
okiegtrider okiegtrider is online now
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,411
Likes: 1,757
Liked 2,400 Times in 754 Posts
Default

Folks carry because they know that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
__________________
America First
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #29  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Be still's Avatar
Be still Be still is offline
SWCA Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SE USA
Posts: 1,432
Likes: 1,173
Liked 560 Times in 256 Posts
Default

I like all these answers, but some reach out and grab you. Personally, I like guns. A young man asked me what was best for concealed carry, both gun and holster. Told him that was a lifelong pursuit, ever changing. I'm the kind of guy that thinks: I haven't tried one of those 640-1 yet, and the price is right. Which holster shall I try? If I had somewhere else to carry my knife and keys, I'd most likely have one for each pocket and something somewhere else. Sold my G27 when I replaced it with something else. I hold guns close to me, and love all the reasons we carry them. It's far more than just a right. I will always have a gun as long as criminals have guns.


Sorry, DevilDog72: that must be a tough one. "Never again" is a strong and good reaction.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #30  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:19 PM
johnsonl's Avatar
johnsonl johnsonl is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Yorktown, Virginia
Posts: 762
Likes: 241
Liked 170 Times in 85 Posts
Default

Although a broadsword is way more fun.
__________________
SV,14,17,21,28,29,39,66,586
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #31  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:43 PM
bigwheelzip's Avatar
bigwheelzip bigwheelzip is online now
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 5,380
Likes: 5,538
Liked 11,079 Times in 2,925 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be still View Post
Young lady carries because she drives a lot.
No young lady here. I'm a grandma who didn't start to carry until I moved to SC after retirement. Always liked guns but never owned one, and now that I live where it's legal, I always carry when I'm out of the house. Why? Because you never know. Same reason for carrying most of the stuff in my handbag. I like to be prepared.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:47 PM
bmcgilvray's Avatar
bmcgilvray bmcgilvray is offline
SWCA Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,457
Likes: 2,445
Liked 1,983 Times in 459 Posts
Default

I carry because I like choices, especially the choice to not submit to evil because I have the means to defeat it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #33  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:50 PM
YogiBear YogiBear is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Posts: 1,145
Likes: 801
Liked 838 Times in 325 Posts
Default

Aloha,

Here on Hawaii, No One can get a CCW permit.

Local Chiefs just do NOT issue no matter what.

Rising violent crime means nothing to our local legislators.

Latest proposal is confiscation without "due process".

We have had it with the Anti 2A climate here in Hawaii.

We hope to be in Hill Country Texas by end of summer.

We will have enough acres for a private range.

I just made 70, Wife is 62,

we realize we may be easily victimized.

But Not if I have a Smith and Wife has her Beretta.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Remmark54 Remmark54 is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Now in South Carolina
Posts: 30
Likes: 104
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I lived in a town in WA State for over 20 years that had 24 murders a year plus multiple shootings and was only 90,000 people. I was in Pathology so did autopsies and examined bullets from gun fights; both the dead and survivors. I am 62 now, a small guy with tired joints and can't defend myself as well or run like I used to. So I started carrying 15 years ago and have done since nearly every day. I left the gun in my truck while in the hospitals, but carried in church. The Mexican gangs even spray painted the Catholic church with gang symbols. My wife's cousin who works for the ATF in Ohio heard about our town and said get out of there. My wife has carried for several years now too. We did leave that town and state. We now are moving to SC to the country in a couple of months, getting out of Minneapolis. We will get our CCWs asap.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #35  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:59 PM
jimmyj's Avatar
jimmyj jimmyj is online now
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DUNNELLON, FLORIDA USA
Posts: 7,870
Likes: 841
Liked 6,936 Times in 2,172 Posts
Smile Why People Carry Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
Short anwser: Cause I can't carry a policeman.
a cop is too heavy to carry plus he wants to stop for doughnuts frequently
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #36  
Old 03-11-2017, 02:05 PM
KalamazooKid's Avatar
KalamazooKid KalamazooKid is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 371
Likes: 398
Liked 1,376 Times in 239 Posts
Default

As the OP mentioned, BECAUSE I CAN. People who don't really understand the concept and ask me why I do, seem to appreciate this answer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Pass it on.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #37  
Old 03-11-2017, 02:08 PM
zonker5's Avatar
zonker5 zonker5 is offline
SWCA Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 2,142
Liked 1,112 Times in 402 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj View Post
I carry because I am so good looking and sexy that I am fearful that a gang of Hollywood starlets will kidnap me and make me their slave.
(so far its working)
I carry because with my looks it's likely to be Rosie or Oprah that want to make me their play toy!
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
  #38  
Old 03-11-2017, 02:14 PM
serger's Avatar
serger serger is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 298
Likes: 129
Liked 367 Times in 129 Posts
Default

I carry a gun so I can shoot things that need shootin.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #39  
Old 03-11-2017, 02:17 PM
steelslaver's Avatar
steelslaver steelslaver is offline
US Veteran
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Montana
Posts: 3,458
Likes: 1,115
Liked 5,772 Times in 1,961 Posts
Default

Because unlike a lot of anti liberals types, I don't have and can't afford a body guard
Plus, nobody is scared of my current dog, Sam.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #40  
Old 03-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Firespec35 Firespec35 is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Flint MI
Posts: 91
Likes: 3
Liked 51 Times in 20 Posts
Default

You know honestly it went back to when I was a kid and my dad was a car rental agency manager. He was robbed and had a butcher knife held to his throat. During the trial he was threatened by the defendants so he was able to obtain the predecessor to a CPL. He had a python and a Taurus 357. Well life moved on he let his permit expire and he sold the pistols ( coulda killed him for the python now lol) but ever since I've always though about it. I got my permit about 10 yrs ago and pretty much carried ever since.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #41  
Old 03-11-2017, 02:55 PM
snuffy51's Avatar
snuffy51 snuffy51 is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Tennessee 38017
Posts: 1,348
Likes: 2,437
Liked 1,613 Times in 622 Posts
Default Carry everyday and everywhere-

'cause I'm too old and beat up to run.
__________________
"Only guns that spin"
Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Like Post:
  #42  
Old 03-11-2017, 03:03 PM
delta-419 delta-419 is offline
SWCA Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,683
Likes: 1,975
Liked 1,695 Times in 276 Posts
Talking Carry

Never had much to do with handguns, never carried. I was a good shot with a rifle and a shotgun. Until one dark night at 2100 hours in AR when I was home on Christmas leave from Germany. An escaped convict stuck a pump shotgun in my face and made off with my wallet. Less than 50 yards away two cops were sitting down for a cup of coffee. I took an oath to myself, NEVER Again! I will never be a victim and my carry piece is only inches away. I can not predict outcomes, but most assuredly there will be one.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #43  
Old 03-11-2017, 06:56 PM
keith44spl's Avatar
keith44spl keith44spl is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,434
Likes: 6,763
Liked 14,303 Times in 3,019 Posts
Default Why do people carry guns?

Well, we all know that a man ought to be able to cover the ground he's standing on.


It's not what's on a man's hip that makes him a man,


it's what he caries in his heart that counts the most.


I come from the tale end of a time and place, where men were men...And women were damn proud of it.




.
__________________
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Last edited by keith44spl; 03-11-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-11-2017, 07:11 PM
JohnSW JohnSW is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 894
Likes: 647
Liked 971 Times in 423 Posts
Default

In some locales, people carry guns, because they greatly overestimate the actual crime rate.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people carry guns?-crimerate-jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #45  
Old 03-11-2017, 07:15 PM
NCBeagle's Avatar
NCBeagle NCBeagle is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 430
Likes: 594
Liked 877 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj View Post
I carry because I am so good looking and sexy that I am fearful that a gang of Hollywood starlets will kidnap me and make me their slave.
(so far its working)
I hope your luck runs out.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #46  
Old 03-11-2017, 07:16 PM
lrrifleman's Avatar
lrrifleman lrrifleman is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,572
Likes: 2,750
Liked 1,285 Times in 713 Posts
Default

I carry where legal because I have spent too much time in hospitals and I don't fancy and eternal view of roots.
__________________
Judge control not gun control!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #47  
Old 03-11-2017, 07:41 PM
BB57's Avatar
BB57 BB57 is online now
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 1,340
Likes: 523
Liked 2,708 Times in 869 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSW View Post
In some locales, people carry guns, because they greatly overestimate the actual crime rate.
It's hard to show directionality in some locales, but the correlation can be interesting.

For example when I transferred to DC about 10 years ago, I checked the FBI crime stats for DC, Arlington county, VA and Montgomery and Prince Georges counties in MD as I decided where I was going to live.

In DC, where gun ownership was rare and concealed carry unheard of, the murder rate was 21 per 100,000. In MD, where gun ownership was legal, but concealed carry uncommon as permits are very hard to get, the murder rate was 14 per 100,000. Finally, in Arlington county where concealed carry permits were available on a "shall issue" basis, the murder rate fell to 7 per 100,000.

A few years later I took some concealed carry permit paperwork into a DC branch of my bank to get notarized. I was surprised that the banker that took care of it for me, an otherwise fairly liberal guy, ranted for 15 minutes about DC's refusal to issue permits. He cited the frequency of individuals from MD and VA coming into the Columbia Heights and Adams Morgan neighborhoods and mugging people because it was guaranteed they would be unarmed. He also cited the inability to safely use any of the bike or jogging trails for the same reason.

Putting the two together, you could conclude that the correlation between the concealed carry, gun ownership and the murder rate may have some directionality, even when all the other confounding variables are considered.

------

In general, I've observed that an armed society tends to be a polite society. If people choosing to conceal carry do so because of a misperception of high crime, but it also serves as a deterrent against crime then there isn't a downside.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #48  
Old 03-11-2017, 08:26 PM
W.E.G.'s Avatar
W.E.G. W.E.G. is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,381
Likes: 13
Liked 795 Times in 373 Posts
Default

__________________
WWSSD?
What would Skeeter do?
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #49  
Old 03-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Welshman Welshman is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 91
Likes: 29
Liked 63 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSW View Post
In some locales, people carry guns, because they greatly overestimate the actual crime rate.
"Murder" and "manslaughter" rates, going back into the 60's, when the FBI started publishing the statistics, can be a bit deceiving. Think about the state of EMS, trauma centers, 911 and cell phone availability back then. A person is quite a bit more likely to survive a shooting now than then.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #50  
Old 03-11-2017, 08:53 PM
mooney7882v mooney7882v is offline
Member
Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns? Why do people carry guns?  
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 12
Likes: 9
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I am a retired LEO and I know full well that in the best circumstance law enforcement cannot protect me and my family despite how much they want to. FBI statistics- average response time to VIOLENT crime is 12 minutes; non violent crime is 90 minutes. And these times are AFTER someone can call 911! The best law enforcement can do in a vast majority of times is to clean up the mess. They have an impossible job. Consider for a moment the mass shooting in San Bernardino---cops arrived in six minutes---bested the average by half and yet how many were shot? What do we teach people to do? Run, hide, fight...we give the bad guy exactly what he wants--I bunch of targets with their backs to him, posing no threat whatsoever. Imagine how that situation changes with only one person with the training, mental preparedness, and willingness to pose a threat to him? How would that disrupt his plan to actually have someone shooting back! That's why I carry. Bad guys spray and pray...if I can avoid it I do since that generally can't hit the pacific from the deck of the enterprise; but if I cannot, I am prepared to pose a threat to them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Like Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why are people making their conceal carry guns look like Rainbow Bright? Nitrous SSC The Lounge 56 01-23-2017 07:08 PM
Other People's Guns! TTSH Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 16 10-10-2015 07:54 PM
How many people carry? MP1518 Concealed Carry & Self Defense 108 12-07-2012 02:20 PM
People are more interested in guns oldman45 The Lounge 12 10-15-2011 11:46 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)