Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Mr.Harry Mr.Harry is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 582
Likes: 217
Liked 599 Times in 278 Posts
Default CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...

Haven't gotten into CC yet, but planning to do so eventually. My home state of NH has recently gone Constitutional Carry. When/before I do, I will certainly be sure to get fully informed/educated about all the rules and regulations for doing so. But, as I read some other threads, and as I was already aware, it is a no-no to CC in "bars" in many places. I'm just curious and throwing this question out for those who may already know - what exactly is the definition of a "bar"? An establishment that sells alcohol but no food? Like a 'club'? Here in NH, you MUST serve food if you are to be issued a liquor license from the state, so even places that would seem to more properly fit the definition of a 'bar' are in fact 'restaurants'.... are they not? Or is the rule simpler and more restrictive meaning that one can't CC into ANY establishment that serves alcohol? Including any 'restaurant' that HAS a bar? I'm thinking it's probably the latter but don't know.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:11 AM
dben002 dben002 is offline
Suspended
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Triad Area North Carolina
Posts: 1,563
Likes: 1,144
Liked 1,955 Times in 797 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Harry View Post
Haven't gotten into CC yet, but planning to do so eventually. My home state of NH has recently gone Constitutional Carry. When/before I do, I will certainly be sure to get fully informed/educated about all the rules and regulations for doing so. But, as I read some other threads, and as I was already aware, it is a no-no to CC in "bars" in many places. I'm just curious and throwing this question out for those who may already know - what exactly is the definition of a "bar"? An establishment that sells alcohol but no food? Like a 'club'? Here in NH, you MUST serve food if you are to be issued a liquor license from the state, so even places that would seem to more properly fit the definition of a 'bar' are in fact 'restaurants'.... are they not? Or is the rule simpler and more restrictive meaning that one can't CC into ANY establishment that serves alcohol? Including any 'restaurant' that HAS a bar? I'm thinking it's probably the latter but don't know.
Each state is different and the details of carry in places that serve alcohol are most probably spelled out in the state code.

If you are outside of your state you really need to educate yourself on the state laws you are in when it comes to CC...
If you are traveling in many different states it can become a burden to know all the different state statues but in your best interest you need to take the time to know their laws as well as your own state laws. It will serve you well in the long run.
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Like Post:
  #3  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Inusuit's Avatar
Inusuit Inusuit is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SE Wyoming
Posts: 1,562
Likes: 1,997
Liked 1,933 Times in 744 Posts
Default

From limited research into NH law, it seems the only place where firearms are prohibited is a "courtroom or area used by a court." (15 seconds on Google.)

dben002 gives good advice. Your own state laws regarding firearms do not travel with you. There's a cell phone ap called CCW that gives a summary of various state concealed carry laws but still a good idea to do some additional research before you travel.

In Wyoming, carry is prohibited in "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic liquor and malt beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose."

So I can carry in the restaurant section of the local Applebee's, but can't legally go through the bar section to use the restroom. Stupid, but that's the law.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:32 AM
gwpercle's Avatar
gwpercle gwpercle is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 3,406
Likes: 1,847
Liked 2,666 Times in 1,412 Posts
Default

In Louisiana Food sales must be at least 51% of total revenue . If alcohol sales exceed food sales you are a bar.
Restaurants operating as a bar can get by for a while but it will catch up to you.
But the real answer is to use common sense , you know darn good and well the difference between a bar and a restaurant and if you can't tell the difference don't carry in that establishment until you ask the bartender or waitress....simple .
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-14-2017, 10:16 AM
SMSgt SMSgt is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,924
Likes: 778
Liked 1,893 Times in 932 Posts
Default

If the only food in the restaurant is the bowl of peanuts on the bar...
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #6  
Old 04-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Mr.Harry Mr.Harry is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 582
Likes: 217
Liked 599 Times in 278 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inusuit View Post
From limited research into NH law, it seems the only place where firearms are prohibited is a "courtroom or area used by a court." (15 seconds on Google.)

dben002 gives good advice. Your own state laws regarding firearms do not travel with you. There's a cell phone ap called CCW that gives a summary of various state concealed carry laws but still a good idea to do some additional research before you travel.

In Wyoming, carry is prohibited in "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic liquor and malt beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose."

So I can carry in the restaurant section of the local Applebee's, but can't legally go through the bar section to use the restroom. Stupid, but that's the law.
Interesting. I wondered if it got complicated like that. Apparently it can. Thanks. Wasn't meaning to make anyone do my homework for me, just curious to hear from those of you CC all the time and what it meant for you where you are.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Arik Arik is online now
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Outside Philadelphia Pa
Posts: 16,646
Likes: 7,353
Liked 17,138 Times in 7,294 Posts
Default

Research your state laws. Every state is different. In PA there is no law pertaining to carry in bars or restaurants. Only places that are listed are gov buildings and schools

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-14-2017, 11:37 AM
hoc9sw hoc9sw is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SW US
Posts: 2,385
Likes: 1,098
Liked 2,253 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default

Texas has a 51% rule - and there has to be a sign posted, although I've never tempted fate to go find one. And yes, going through the bar to get from restaurant to toilets could be deemed illegal, but unless you have an issue in the bar, cross a TABC agent, or try to open carry, I doubt that transit would be an issue.

But go sit down in the bar area? You should know better. The fanatics will start calling 911 (seen that happen).

And +1 on the RESEARCH! I cross three states every few weeks. All three have different rules.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-14-2017, 11:55 AM
one eye joe's Avatar
one eye joe one eye joe is offline
US Veteran
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 3,344
Likes: 2,774
Liked 2,454 Times in 1,054 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
Each state is different and the details of carry in places that serve alcohol are most probably spelled out in the state code.

If you are outside of your state you really need to educate yourself on the state laws you are in when it comes to CC...
If you are traveling in many different states it can become a burden to know all the different state statues but in your best interest you need to take the time to know their laws as well as your own state laws. It will serve you well in the long run.
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH dben002. THE RULES ARE DIFFERENT, IN EACH STATE, AND NO POST ON THIS THREAD IS GOING TO COVER EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE.......

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, AND WE EACH HAVE TO RESEARCH OUR OWN PARTICULAR JURISDICTION, OR ANY THAT WE INTEND TO PASS THROUGH OR VISIT, TO ENSURE THAT WE ARE IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE LAW......

REMEMBER THAT THERE IS A GREAT RESPONSIBILITY THAT GOES ALONG WITH THE EXERCISE OF OUR 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHT......

UNFORTUNATELY, UNLAWFUL BEHAVIOR ON THE PART OF ONE OF US, WILL REFLECT ON ALL OF US.....
__________________
'Nam 1968-69.DAV,VFW,NRA Inst.

Last edited by one eye joe; 04-14-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #10  
Old 04-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Mainsail's Avatar
Mainsail Mainsail is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 930
Likes: 549
Liked 1,679 Times in 532 Posts
Default

Here in WA they (thankfully) don't do the percentage thing. If the restaurant has a bar it is segregated and signed 'No one under 21 allowed" which also means you can't carry in that portion of the establishment. If you stay out of that small area you may carry.

Straight-up taverns where under 21 are not allowed are off limits.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #11  
Old 04-14-2017, 05:40 PM
Rastoff's Avatar
Rastoff Rastoff is offline
US Veteran
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: So Cal (Near Edwards AFB)
Posts: 12,903
Likes: 2,081
Liked 12,894 Times in 5,157 Posts
Default

Here in CA the law is silent on alcohol and guns. That means there is nothing in the law regarding carrying and drinking or being in a bar. However, there is a clause in the application that says, "The licensee shall not be in a place having a primary purpose of dispensing alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption."

So, while it doesn't explicitly use the term "bar" we do agree not to hang out in a bar.

This of course raises the question about places that have a bar as part of their business. Restaurants like Applebee's, TGI Fridays, the Olive Garden, etc., all have a bar area. Our local sheriff interprets it this way, as long as you're in the restaurant area, you're OK. Even if you're in the bar area, as long as you're seated at a booth, i.e. not at the bar itself, you're OK.

This is just my local area and state. I highly recommend giving the sheriff or police chief a call. They are usually happy to answer questions like this for you.
__________________
Freedom isn't free.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:11 AM
Smoke's Avatar
Smoke Smoke is offline
US Veteran
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,939
Likes: 1,815
Liked 4,525 Times in 1,809 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
This is just my local area and state. I highly recommend giving the sheriff or police chief a call. They are usually happy to answer questions like this for you.
They may indeed be happy to answer this question for you. The question is are they qualified? You're better off asking a lawyer or researching the law for yourself.

Colorado has no law prohibiting carry in a bar.
__________________
Read More Post Less
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #13  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:31 AM
OKFC05 OKFC05 is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,486
Likes: 2,046
Liked 3,773 Times in 1,697 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Harry View Post
Haven't gotten into CC yet, but planning to do so eventually. My home state of NH has recently gone Constitutional Carry. When/before I do, I will certainly be sure to get fully informed/educated about all the rules and regulations for doing so. But, as I read some other threads, and as I was already aware, it is a no-no to CC in "bars" in many places. I'm just curious and throwing this question out for those who may already know - what exactly is the definition of a "bar"? An establishment that sells alcohol but no food? Like a 'club'? Here in NH, you MUST serve food if you are to be issued a liquor license from the state, so even places that would seem to more properly fit the definition of a 'bar' are in fact 'restaurants'.... are they not? Or is the rule simpler and more restrictive meaning that one can't CC into ANY establishment that serves alcohol? Including any 'restaurant' that HAS a bar? I'm thinking it's probably the latter but don't know.

Having taught hunter safety and CC classes in several states, please allow me to EMPHASIZE the excellent advice you have received above.
1. The BLACK LETTER LAW in the state where you are standing is what a judge will use if you are arrested, and you MUST know it for any state where you carry. No VERBAL advice from LEO or others is binding.
2. There are NO UNIVERSAL GENERAL RULES, and no other state, anywhere, cares how you do it back home.
3. Quoting the US Constitution or arguing with an owner or LEO greatly increases the chance of unpleasant consequences. Even if you are sure you have violated no state gun laws, you might be hit for trespass for refusing to leave if asked.
__________________
Science plus Art
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-15-2017, 04:58 AM
crazyphil crazyphil is offline
US Veteran
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 3,218
Likes: 8,178
Liked 8,912 Times in 2,226 Posts
Default

It's a bad idea to be carrying a gun in any location, if you have been
drinking alcohol. As many have said, you need to learn the laws of
your state or any other state where you might carry.
__________________
In Omnia Paratus
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-15-2017, 08:58 AM
two-bit cowboy's Avatar
two-bit cowboy two-bit cowboy is offline
US Veteran
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Atlantic City, Wyoming
Posts: 2,444
Likes: 6,466
Liked 5,559 Times in 1,559 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Harry View Post
Interesting. I wondered if it got complicated like that. Apparently it can. Thanks. Wasn't meaning to make anyone do my homework for me, just curious to hear from those of you CC all the time and what it meant for you where you are.
Another tidbit about Wyoming. As Insuit said, and it's printed on the CFP, can't cc in "portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic liquor and malt beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose," but open carry in that same space is okay.

I've had this conversation with our County Sheriff and some of the deputies. Their take: they'd rather the law allowed cc than "see" guns on folks' hips in a bar. Can't recall ever hearing of open carry being a problem in a bar, and it's not at all uncommon in the hinterlands.
__________________
Paddle your own canoe
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-15-2017, 09:37 AM
ChattanoogaPhil's Avatar
ChattanoogaPhil ChattanoogaPhil is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,685
Likes: 7,946
Liked 20,602 Times in 5,958 Posts
Default

Tennessee had goofy rules about percentage of alcohol served by an establishment. Then "Guns in bars" passed in 2009 allowing for gun carry where alcohol is served, period.

To my surprise several gun club members shook their head in disbelief, predicting all sorts of problems from allowing armed citizens in drinking establishments.

It's going on 8 years... we're doing fine.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #17  
Old 04-15-2017, 10:13 AM
amcline82's Avatar
amcline82 amcline82 is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 278
Likes: 94
Liked 150 Times in 85 Posts
Default

What I go by is if minors are allowed. If they are then your good. Usually there will be a section with a sign that states no minors allowed so I don't go into that area.

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-15-2017, 07:58 PM
The Big D The Big D is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,725
Likes: 785
Liked 1,354 Times in 540 Posts
Default Enlightened states...

...in which I have lived do not regulate concealed carry based solely on where one chooses to dine.

Always find it interesting that some states don't trust their lawfully armed citizens to comport themselves properly whilst eating or engaging in lawful adult activities.

Be safe.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-16-2017, 10:55 AM
LenS LenS is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MA
Posts: 252
Likes: 247
Liked 143 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Mr. Harry, although not a NH resident I frequently travel and vacation there, so I've made a point of studying all ~4 pgs of gun laws that existed in NH prior to Constitutional Carry passing into law.


NH only bans carry in courts and elementary/secondary schools. There is no prohibition on carry into bars/restaurants/etc. I don't suggest "going drinking" while carrying (also leave the car keys at home if you do this) however. Opinions vary but it's always been my philosophy carrying everywhere I go in NH is fine as long as I keep my nose clean and keep sober (no issue, I'm not a drinker).
__________________
MA Gun Law & NRA Instructor
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-20-2017, 04:24 PM
filipows filipows is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Eastern Washington
Posts: 101
Likes: 49
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Default CC in eating drinking establishemnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
Here in WA they (thankfully) don't do the percentage thing. If the restaurant has a bar it is segregated and signed 'No one under 21 allowed" which also means you can't carry in that portion of the establishment. If you stay out of that small area you may carry.

Straight-up taverns where under 21 are not allowed are off limits.
Washington does have the line of demarcation as described. Makes it pretty simple. I live within a mile of the Idaho state line. Idaho is completely different. CC is allowed in bars.


As has been mentioned here the wise CC'er Knows EXACTLY what the situation is. The only place to get real facts is from the State Officials for that state. Hearsay and opinion could lead you to a sorry conclusion and a lot of trouble.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #21  
Old 04-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Model520Fan Model520Fan is online now
US Veteran
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 5,732
Likes: 3,604
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,522 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS View Post
Mr. Harry, although not a NH resident I frequently travel and vacation there, so I've made a point of studying all ~4 pgs of gun laws that existed in NH prior to Constitutional Carry passing into law.


NH only bans carry in courts and elementary/secondary schools. There is no prohibition on carry into bars/restaurants/etc. I don't suggest "going drinking" while carrying (also leave the car keys at home if you do this) however. Opinions vary but it's always been my philosophy carrying everywhere I go in NH is fine as long as I keep my nose clean and keep sober (no issue, I'm not a drinker).
Len,

Please correct me if I have missed a detail, but that is pretty much the case in MA, as well. If one is lucky enough to live in one of the municipalities that issues usable licenses at all, one will find that one can carry a gun almost anywhere in MA. Perhaps a holdover from 1998 and earlier, when one could not leave a handgun in a vehicle, altogether.

Of course, when you carry discreetly, and never need your gun because you're careful where you go, the issue doesn't come up.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Walkingwolf's Avatar
Walkingwolf Walkingwolf is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,260
Likes: 1,246
Liked 1,230 Times in 610 Posts
Default

Your state probably has a gun organization, you should research them for your state. I have known many people in NC who ignored limitations on carry before the law changed, but it is only a misdemeanor first time in NC. Police tended to ignore it also, for CHP holders. If you CC properly it probably will not be a problem anywhere.

I worked in Illinois as a LEO, but a long time ago, things have changed. Most police back then ignored honest folk conceal carrying back then. They did not cause problems, or bring attention on themselves. You shouldn't either, and most will not know.

ETA PSA I am not suggesting you break any laws, advocate obeying them. If you get in a grey area though, using good common sense goes a long way.

Last edited by Walkingwolf; 04-20-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 AM
LenS LenS is offline
Member
CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?... CC in a 'Bar', or is it a 'restaurant'?...  
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MA
Posts: 252
Likes: 247
Liked 143 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipows View Post
Washington does have the line of demarcation as described. Makes it pretty simple. I live within a mile of the Idaho state line. Idaho is completely different. CC is allowed in bars.


As has been mentioned here the wise CC'er Knows EXACTLY what the situation is. The only place to get real facts is from the State Officials for that state. Hearsay and opinion could lead you to a sorry conclusion and a lot of trouble.

I bolded the most important part above! Things change, people mis-interpret the laws, etc. Only reliable place to look is on your state's website for the actual law itself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Model520Fan View Post
Len,

Please correct me if I have missed a detail, but that is pretty much the case in MA, as well. If one is lucky enough to live in one of the municipalities that issues usable licenses at all, one will find that one can carry a gun almost anywhere in MA. Perhaps a holdover from 1998 and earlier, when one could not leave a handgun in a vehicle, altogether.

Of course, when you carry discreetly, and never need your gun because you're careful where you go, the issue doesn't come up.


True, MA (by statute) only bans carry on school (including college) properties. Various gov't bodies have created CMRs banning other areas (possession anywhere on any casino property, within 500' of Logan airport on the water, etc.) and policies (courthouses, some gov't buildings, etc.) that aren't actual laws.


Long before 1968, licenses were only issued to the connected folks thus there were few restrictions in the law for the "privileged".
__________________
MA Gun Law & NRA Instructor
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My favorite restaurant put up a 30-07 djh1765 Concealed Carry & Self Defense 10 03-09-2016 05:51 PM
Restaurant tax wbraswell The Lounge 18 03-10-2014 02:28 AM
SC Restaurant Carry. . .Restaurant Carry Nationwide Gary Slider Concealed Carry & Self Defense 3 02-12-2014 05:33 PM
Restaurant shooting oldman45 The Lounge 6 02-21-2012 01:44 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2018
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)