Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-12-2017, 08:25 AM
white cloud white cloud is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Way Down South
Posts: 239
Likes: 62
Liked 86 Times in 46 Posts
Default CCW in the Washington DC area

Thanks for reading this post. I will be traveling to Washington DC in a week. I will mostly be in the Georgetown University area. What are the laws for CCW like in that area? I suspect this is probably not a go, but wanted to be sure. I have a South Carolina CWP.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-12-2017, 08:32 AM
cowboy4evr cowboy4evr is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: for now ,Texas
Posts: 795
Likes: 27
Liked 656 Times in 347 Posts
Default

They don't honor anyone else's permit it looks like to me . I just checked it out .

Last edited by cowboy4evr; 05-12-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-12-2017, 08:38 AM
GeoJelly GeoJelly is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NOVA
Posts: 432
Likes: 1,003
Liked 258 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Greetings from NoVa sir - as long as South Carolina has reciprocity with Virginia - then you should be fine ... but only in Virginia. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm 99% sure you cannot take a handgun into DC itself. That's a little tricky since Reagan Airport is considered part of DC - hopefully you are flying into Dulles. Virginia CC rules are typical - no public/gov't buildings, schools or churches. I don't drink so I'm not sure about alcohol - so I would refrain from carrying into a lounge or bar. Since you are out of state, if you are stopped, I would notify up front. I assume you've already been to HandgunLaw.us - but here is the PDF just in case:

http://handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

HandgunLaw.us says Virginia honors all other states - but it's just a website - you may want to do some additional research as the other poster commented that VA does not honor other states. His statement was true for several months last year - but I believe that has changed. Probably my most important comment: do not even think about driving one inch into Maryland with a handgun. They scan plates for CC holders from other states and will stop you - one confirmed case last year for a person from Florida.

Last edited by GeoJelly; 05-12-2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Add comment about reciprocity and Maryland
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #4  
Old 05-12-2017, 09:03 AM
eb07 eb07 is online now
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 939
Likes: 1,144
Liked 1,763 Times in 523 Posts
Default

DC is as communist and anti 2A as you can get.... oh the irony
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #5  
Old 05-12-2017, 11:31 AM
white cloud white cloud is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Way Down South
Posts: 239
Likes: 62
Liked 86 Times in 46 Posts
Default

I checked with the wife. We will be staying in DC. I guess this is a no go.

So let me make sure I understand the situation in Maryland. Suppose I drive through that state in my truck with SC license plates. I have my pistol. I have no intention to stop in Maryland for diesel or food or whatever. You are telling me that I can be pulled over by the state police and found to be in violation of Maryland law?

The gun laws in SC are really well thought out IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-12-2017, 11:41 AM
silversnake silversnake is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 285
Likes: 148
Liked 198 Times in 117 Posts
Default

I wouldn't bring anything into DC or MD unless you are covered under LEOSA or similar.

Reagan National Airport is in Virginia though so no problem there.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #7  
Old 05-12-2017, 12:01 PM
bigwheelzip's Avatar
bigwheelzip bigwheelzip is online now
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 5,075
Likes: 5,069
Liked 10,241 Times in 2,696 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white cloud View Post
So let me make sure I understand the situation in Maryland.
I'm another CCer from SC who frequently travels to the northeast, and the Maryland border is the "Iron Curtain" for me. If I'm crossing the Maryland border, I leave the "Iron" home.

You can legally carry to within 1/4 mile of Georgetown, on the Virginia side of the Key Bridge. If your driving up, there is no need to transit Maryland, to get to Georgetown.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-12-2017, 01:13 PM
white cloud white cloud is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Way Down South
Posts: 239
Likes: 62
Liked 86 Times in 46 Posts
Default

I see. I didn't realize it was that bad up there.

It makes me sad that all these liberal Yankees are moving down here. Soon we will have laws like those states.

Thanks to all for replying.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #9  
Old 05-12-2017, 01:37 PM
GeoJelly GeoJelly is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NOVA
Posts: 432
Likes: 1,003
Liked 258 Times in 134 Posts
Default

I didn't mean to sound like I am anti-Virginia - not at all. If you come up here without a firearm, no problem at all if you are cautious and maintain your situational awareness IMO. Needless to say, stay away from Walmarts, stop and robs and unlit parking lots. Old Town Alexandria is very nice, I have been down there many times and have had zero problems - lotsa great places to eat.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-12-2017, 02:01 PM
richardw richardw is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SE PA
Posts: 151
Likes: 45
Liked 364 Times in 89 Posts
Default

VA honors every state licenses except Vermont. MD Does not honor any states license except it's own. D.C. Does not honor any state license and does not issue licenenes to anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-12-2017, 02:19 PM
white cloud white cloud is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Way Down South
Posts: 239
Likes: 62
Liked 86 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Thanks to all for your replies. I will leave my revolver at home. My nephew is graduating from law school in Georgetown. I plan to enjoy my visit there but I dislike being anywhere I can't carry. I guess I am paranoid.

However, I had an "issue" about four years ago in a grocery store parking lot. I experienced another "issue" last year in a bank lobby. I did not need to deploy my revolver in either situation but I found it's presence extremely comforting. During the bank "issue", I got to see some bank employees looking and acting very uncomfortable until law enforcement showed up. Evidently the drive up tellers were trained to look for trouble headed their way from the parking lot. I was amazed at how fast they could lock the place down.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #12  
Old 05-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Walkingwolf Walkingwolf is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 311
Likes: 211
Liked 239 Times in 144 Posts
Default

Unless you fall under LEOSA better leave the gun at home. If you do, get your paperwork, and qualification in order before you go.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #13  
Old 05-12-2017, 03:06 PM
BigDog48 BigDog48 is online now
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nags Head, NC
Posts: 480
Likes: 848
Liked 429 Times in 193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white cloud View Post
I checked with the wife. We will be staying in DC. I guess this is a no go.

So let me make sure I understand the situation in Maryland. Suppose I drive through that state in my truck with SC license plates. I have my pistol. I have no intention to stop in Maryland for diesel or food or whatever. You are telling me that I can be pulled over by the state police and found to be in violation of Maryland law?

The gun laws in SC are really well thought out IMHO.
yes unless it is locked separate from the ammo and both are inaccessible to the occupants. If you spend the night in MD you are considered a resident, and therefore subject to the more onerous gun laws they have. They're among the strictest anti gun states. I moved from there to NC 😎
__________________
Living life on a Sandbar!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #14  
Old 05-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Model520Fan Model520Fan is online now
US Veteran
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 5,208
Likes: 2,739
Liked 2,456 Times in 1,227 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white cloud View Post
The gun laws in SC are really well thought out IMHO.
Same in DC. Both governments achieved what they intended to achieve.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-12-2017, 05:41 PM
OKFC05 OKFC05 is online now
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,053
Likes: 1,612
Liked 3,068 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model520Fan View Post
Same in DC. Both governments achieved what they intended to achieve.
Yes, DC, MD, NJ, and NY managed to neutralize the Federal FOPA. FOPA says you can transport your firearm on a continuous journey through any state, but these say, well, when we pull you over, you've stopped, so FOPA does not apply and our state laws say you can't have your gun with you. And the FEDERAL 4TH CIRCUIT COURT HAS RULED IN THEIR FAVOR AGAINST FEDERAL LAW. The 4th circuit also ruled that MD can ban any firearm that has a military purpose, or looks like one that does.
__________________
Science plus Art
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-12-2017, 07:12 PM
W.E.G.'s Avatar
W.E.G. W.E.G. is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,381
Likes: 13
Liked 793 Times in 373 Posts
Default

Don't leave any articles in plain sight in your parked car in DC.
Even in the daytime.
Even if its a $5 pair of chinese sunglasses.

Anything at all will be classified as a "prohibited weapon" if the investigating officer feels you used it for an "unlawful" purpose. You will be charged with Possession of a Prohibited Weapon (subsection B) of the DC Code. For instance, you could be charged with PPW (bottle).
DC Code - SS 22–4514. Possession of certain dangerous weapons prohibited; exceptions.

Use Waze at all times while driving in DC. Otherwise, I can just about GUARANTEE you will earn a $100-minimum photo radar ticket. The camera on K street under Washington Circle (25 mph limit) hands out about EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS worth of tickets each year all by itself. That's before you count the tickets handed out by the other radar cameras and red-light cameras. They are in all the "gotcha" spots and in none of the spots where dangerous speeding is a genuine public hazard.
__________________
WWSSD?
What would Skeeter do?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #17  
Old 05-12-2017, 07:19 PM
hostler hostler is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southcentral PA
Posts: 245
Likes: 72
Liked 419 Times in 158 Posts
Default

if you are travelling through DC or MD you are covered by federal interstate firearms transportation laws (see U S code 18, 926a) but that's it. Read 926a and adhere strictly to it because DC and MD don't mess around. As long as you meet the requirements of 926a you should be fine.
I live about 5 miles outside of MD and I travel through MD pretty often with a firearm, I just make sure I'm compliant with 926a, same goes for DC. If I'm stopping in either DC or MD I don't go armed, PERIOD.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-12-2017, 07:24 PM
hostler hostler is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southcentral PA
Posts: 245
Likes: 72
Liked 419 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFC05 View Post
Yes, DC, MD, NJ, and NY managed to neutralize the Federal FOPA. FOPA says you can transport your firearm on a continuous journey through any state, but these say, well, when we pull you over, you've stopped, so FOPA does not apply and our state laws say you can't have your gun with you. And the FEDERAL 4TH CIRCUIT COURT HAS RULED IN THEIR FAVOR AGAINST FEDERAL LAW. The 4th circuit also ruled that MD can ban any firearm that has a military purpose, or looks like one that does.
I disagree with almost all of this ∆∆∆
I would like to see these court rulings.

Last edited by hostler; 05-12-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #19  
Old 05-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Colonel's Avatar
Colonel Colonel is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 109
Likes: 191
Liked 78 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Don't leave any articles in plain sight in your parked car in DC.
Even in the daytime.
Even if its a $5 pair of chinese sunglasses.

Anything at all will be classified as a "prohibited weapon" if the investigating officer feels you used it for an "unlawful" purpose. You will be charged with Possession of a Prohibited Weapon (subsection B) of the DC Code. For instance, you could be charged with PPW (bottle).
DC Code - SS 22–4514. Possession of certain dangerous weapons prohibited; exceptions.

Use Waze at all times while driving in DC. Otherwise, I can just about GUARANTEE you will earn a $100-minimum photo radar ticket. The camera on K street under Washington Circle (25 mph limit) hands out about EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS worth of tickets each year all by itself. That's before you count the tickets handed out by the other radar cameras and red-light cameras. They are in all the "gotcha" spots and in none of the spots where dangerous speeding is a genuine public hazard.
Sounds like NO ONE should ever go to DC. I know I will not be visiting DC anytime soon.
__________________
U.S. Army (RET)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #20  
Old 05-12-2017, 10:47 PM
adwjc adwjc is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 563
Likes: 3,566
Liked 389 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white cloud View Post
I see. I didn't realize it was that bad up there.

It makes me sad that all these liberal Yankees are moving down here. Soon we will have laws like those states.

Thanks to all for replying.
Sorry to disillusion you friend, we are trying to get rid of as many of them as we can, but as far as I know, none are going to Maryland or DC, it got the way it is with your own folks, you know, from south of the Mason Dixon line.
__________________
Tony
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-12-2017, 11:05 PM
OKFC05 OKFC05 is online now
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,053
Likes: 1,612
Liked 3,068 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostler View Post
I disagree with almost all of this ∆∆∆
I would like to see these court rulings.

They are in NRA-ILA. Example:
A few days after this decision, the Fourth Circuit, clearly on a roll, ended its three-decision trifecta with a spectacular flourish in Kolbe v. Hogan – a decision upholding a Maryland ban on “assault weapons” and large capacity magazines because the banned assault weapons and magazines are arms that are beyond the reach or protection of the Second Amendment. (To read more about the Kolbe decision, please click here.)




MD transport law:
Carrying and Transportation in Vehicles
It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person. It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.
A person may transport a handgun if they can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:
  • To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop;
  • Between a person’s bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person;
  • While engaged in, or traveling to and from a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show; or
  • By a bona fide gun collector who is moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition.

NOTE THERE IS NO LEGAL PROVISION FOR TRANSPORTING UNDER ANY OTHER CONDITIONS, SUCH AS TOURISTS VISITING IN MD.
__________________
Science plus Art
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-12-2017, 11:23 PM
alaskavett alaskavett is offline
US Veteran
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wasilla ALASKA
Posts: 1,259
Likes: 799
Liked 186 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Having been born and raised there I can tell you it is a most intresting place to get as far as one can from if you enjoy your freedoms. After my Mother passed I will NEVER return to THAT PLACE! Kyle
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-13-2017, 04:43 AM
hostler hostler is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southcentral PA
Posts: 245
Likes: 72
Liked 419 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFC05 View Post
They are in NRA-ILA. Example:
A few days after this decision, the Fourth Circuit, clearly on a roll, ended its three-decision trifecta with a spectacular flourish in Kolbe v. Hogan – a decision upholding a Maryland ban on “assault weapons” and large capacity magazines because the banned assault weapons and magazines are arms that are beyond the reach or protection of the Second Amendment. (To read more about the Kolbe decision, please click here.)




MD transport law:
Carrying and Transportation in Vehicles
It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person. It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.
A person may transport a handgun if they can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:
  • To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop;
  • Between a person’s bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person;
  • While engaged in, or traveling to and from a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show; or
  • By a bona fide gun collector who is moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition.

NOTE THERE IS NO LEGAL PROVISION FOR TRANSPORTING UNDER ANY OTHER CONDITIONS, SUCH AS TOURISTS VISITING IN MD.
I think you need to do more research. You will find out that high capacity mags are not illegal to own or possess in MD, only to buy and sell.
And U.S. code 18, 926a Interstate firearms transportation, specifically overrules state law.

Last edited by hostler; 05-13-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-13-2017, 08:27 AM
OKFC05 OKFC05 is online now
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,053
Likes: 1,612
Liked 3,068 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostler View Post
I think you need to do more research. You will find out that high capacity mags are not illegal to own or possess in MD, only to buy and sell.
And U.S. code 18, 926a Interstate firearms transportation, specifically overrules state law.
FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.
Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest. All travelers in areas with restrictive laws would be well advised to have copies of any applicable firearm licenses or permits, as well as copies or printouts from the relevant jurisdictions’ official publications or websites documenting pertinent provisions of law (including FOPA itself) or reciprocity information. In the event of an unexpected or extended delay, travelers should make every effort not to handle any luggage containing firearms unnecessarily and to secure it in a location where they do not have ready access to it.


I am not a lawyer, and the above is from the NRA-ILA lawyers. Additional information is posted on the NRA-ILA website for any who wish to seek authoritative information on transportation of firearms across state lines.
__________________
Science plus Art
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-13-2017, 08:40 AM
white cloud white cloud is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Way Down South
Posts: 239
Likes: 62
Liked 86 Times in 46 Posts
Default

This sounds like traveling to a foreign country. Down here I carry my S&W 649 about everywhere except into the post office. I will not be moving North any time soon.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #26  
Old 05-16-2017, 09:55 PM
IAhunter IAhunter is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cochise County, Arizona
Posts: 133
Likes: 27
Liked 59 Times in 27 Posts
Default

DC, NYC and Chicago, three cities I will not visit once I retire. I have visited all three in the last few years. My duty gun sure felt more more "necessary" off-duty there than it does at home. Since I won't be interested in any LEOSA hassles in retirement, I will not be spending any travel dollars in those areas.

PS: Add California to that list.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #27  
Old 05-16-2017, 10:31 PM
Penmon's Avatar
Penmon Penmon is online now
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MD -PA
Posts: 586
Likes: 94
Liked 253 Times in 123 Posts
Default

You can own a hi cap mag in Md if you owned it before the ban took effect.
Or, you purchased it out of state and transported it into the state personally.In other words no mail order.
You cannot purchased a hi cap magazine in Maryland but you can go out of state PA, DE, VA or WV and remove the magazine block that limits it capacity to 10 round or less or purchase one. Magazines are blocked to ten rounds in Maryland when the gun is purchased but the block (a stick or dowel rod)is non permanent.
Makes perfect sense???
No permit carry, unless you are a Doctor, Lawyers like Judges, DA's,Public Defenders , victim of crime and may be again, carry large amount of cash, gold, diamonds and so on. Self defense is not a legit reason. So thats, Maryland my Maryland.
DC is worse, only Police, FBI, Secret Service, Congress, Judges or a Felons can carry.
My advise is, drive to VA rent a hotel room with a safe, put the gun in safe go to GT for the graduation and then go get the gun a good night sleep and go home...MD and DC, DONT CARRY!
__________________
Thank you
Penmon AKA Jim
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-17-2017, 01:44 AM
Big1's Avatar
Big1 Big1 is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WA.
Posts: 97
Likes: 187
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Default

If it were me I just leave it home and just watch your six at all time, I was there years ago so I do know to much about it now.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-17-2017, 05:07 PM
W.E.G.'s Avatar
W.E.G. W.E.G. is offline
Member
CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area CCW in the Washington DC area  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,381
Likes: 13
Liked 793 Times in 373 Posts
Default

DC has more red-light or speed cameras than you can count. There is some signage, but usually so close to the actual device that its too late before you can react.

Maryland has relatively few speed cameras, and they tend to be well-marked, well in advance of the actual location. Not sure about Maryland's red light cameras.

Virginia forbids any use of speed cameras. Some localities have red light cameras.

Waze is your friend - although in the urban areas it constantly is spewing the "vehicle stopped on shoulder" warning. I wish there was a way to turn that off. Otherwise, Waze is very good about warning of fixed-location speed cameras and red light cameras.
__________________
WWSSD?
What would Skeeter do?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Washington D.C. gdnagle The Lounge 3 09-11-2013 08:04 AM
New from SW Washington ppodpearson New Members Introduction 11 03-03-2010 10:10 PM
Hello from Washington bhpDrew645 New Members Introduction 17 07-28-2009 10:38 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 PM.


© S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)