Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2018, 02:29 PM
American1776's Avatar
American1776 American1776 is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,185
Likes: 1,960
Liked 2,385 Times in 675 Posts
Default One big difference b/w revolver and auto

All these threads about revolver vs auto, and no one as far as I can see has brought up weight distribution.

I was carrying my Beretta M9 for a while everyday in a leather pancake thumb break DeSantis holster. It has 18 rounds total of the Federal 115 gr. +p+. I then switched to carrying my S&W 686 plus loaded with 7 rounds of Winchester 125 gr. .357 mag SJHP.

Both of these guns are heavy. The Beretta is 33 ounces unloaded, the 686 is 40 ounces unloaded. Guess which one feels better on the belt? The 686 feels a lot lighter. Iíve deduced that the auto pistol carries most of its weight in the grip, which tends to pull the pistol outward away from the body, making it feel heavier.

The revolver has its weight spread out evenly, which makes it Ďlighterí on the belt, even though itís heavier. I think the 1911 feels similar to the revolver, as itís weight is more evenly distributed.
Attached Thumbnails
One big difference b/w revolver and auto-9d68227b-af0a-48ae-92a8-3ced36f4bfc9-jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #2  
Old 06-27-2018, 02:54 PM
Triggernosis Triggernosis is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 1,099
Likes: 296
Liked 571 Times in 274 Posts
Default

That's a very good point, and an important one too.
__________________
I.G.: Anderson_custom_leather
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #3  
Old 06-27-2018, 03:17 PM
Backlighting's Avatar
Backlighting Backlighting is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 801
Likes: 265
Liked 1,227 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Unlike the semi autos, the revolver's plusses of no failure to feed and no failure to eject far outweighs the negative of weight distribution imo.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2018, 03:20 PM
American1776's Avatar
American1776 American1776 is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,185
Likes: 1,960
Liked 2,385 Times in 675 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlighting View Post
Unlike the semi autos, the revolver's plusses of no failure to feed and no failure to eject far outweighs the negative of weight distribution imo.
I think there's a misunderstanding...the revolver, according to my OP, has a favorable weight distribution. The auto loader (particularly the double stack), has an unfavorable weight distribution that makes it feel heavier on the belt than it actually is.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-27-2018, 03:22 PM
Triggernosis Triggernosis is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 1,099
Likes: 296
Liked 571 Times in 274 Posts
Default

I don't believe he was implying that the Wake distribution of the revolver was a negative, but instead a positive.
__________________
I.G.: Anderson_custom_leather
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #6  
Old 06-27-2018, 03:25 PM
Mainsail's Avatar
Mainsail Mainsail is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 941
Likes: 552
Liked 1,693 Times in 540 Posts
Default

The revolver has superfluous weight.

The chamber of any gun needs to be heavy and strong enough to contain the forces generated at firing. The revolver has five to eight chambers, yet only one of them can be used at any one time. The auto has one chamber which is reused until the supply of ammo onboard is exhausted.

So a six round auto will be much lighter than a six round revolver.

Feel is subjective.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #7  
Old 06-27-2018, 03:29 PM
ISCS Yoda's Avatar
ISCS Yoda ISCS Yoda is offline
US Veteran
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 4,593
Likes: 1,026
Liked 4,875 Times in 2,008 Posts
Default

The only weight distribution I ever have a problem with has nothing whatever to do with the guns I choose to carry.

Revolver, pistol, all the same to me depending on my clothes and where I am going to be.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #8  
Old 06-27-2018, 03:31 PM
American1776's Avatar
American1776 American1776 is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,185
Likes: 1,960
Liked 2,385 Times in 675 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
The revolver has superfluous weight.

The chamber of any gun needs to be heavy and strong enough to contain the forces generated at firing. The revolver has five to eight chambers, yet only one of them can be used at any one time. The auto has one chamber which is reused until the supply of ammo onboard is exhausted.

So a six round auto will be much lighter than a six round revolver.

Feel is subjective.
I agree. The revolver has a lot of extra weight. Much of it is at the 'middle' of the piece, and when loaded, most of it is in the middle and up toward the muzzle. When holstered with the muzzle down, all the weight is at belt level or lower, which keeps the whole piece close to the body, with a center of gravity straight down.

With a double stack auto, especially when loaded, the weight is at the heal of the gun, in the grip. When holstered, the majority of the pistol's weight is *above* the belt line, which pulls the pistol away from the wearer's body, thus causing a 'teetering' effect that counterbalances the muzzle against the thigh. This makes it feel much heavier.

I wear a stiff gun belt, and all of this is still subjectively apparent.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #9  
Old 06-27-2018, 03:38 PM
RGVshooter RGVshooter is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 991
Likes: 863
Liked 1,101 Times in 490 Posts
Default

I'm blown away by how easy & almost unnoticeable it is to carry a J frame 642 in a pocket holster with a pair of cargo shorts. A lot of these You Tube reviews on carry guns put a lot of focus on the width & imply that skinnier guns are "better" to carry and that's just not the case with a revolver. They are IMHO, the perfect civilian self defense guns.

With that being said, if I knew I was walking into a gun battle, I'd take the Beretta 92, but for self defense, whoever's on the receiving end of that 686 is going to have a very bad day.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #10  
Old 06-27-2018, 03:46 PM
American1776's Avatar
American1776 American1776 is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,185
Likes: 1,960
Liked 2,385 Times in 675 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGVshooter View Post
I'm blown away by how easy & almost unnoticeable it is to carry a J frame 642 in a pocket holster with a pair of cargo shorts. A lot of these You Tube reviews on carry guns put a lot of focus on the width & imply that skinnier guns are "better" to carry and that's just not the case with a revolver. They are IMHO, the perfect civilian self defense guns.

With that being said, if I knew I was walking into a gun battle, I'd take the Beretta 92, but for self defense, whoever's on the receiving end of that 686 is going to have a very bad day.
Agree with everything you said. My 649 J-frame .357 carries in the pocket better than smaller autos.

The M9 with a 20 round MecGar magazine is a formidable tool for a real wild-west shootout scenario.

For home or self defense of the typical type, there's something just perfect about a 4-6 inch .357 magnum loaded with the 125 gr. full throttle magnums.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-27-2018, 03:59 PM
BAM-BAM BAM-BAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 9,177
Likes: 179
Liked 10,557 Times in 4,985 Posts
Default

Well as a IWB concealed carrier....... having the auto grip ride just above the belt line is easier than the cylinder under the belt..... I can do a k frame but an L or N....cylinders are just too wide.

Also with the slide against my leg there is no 'pull away from the body"...... a Sparks Executive Companion spreads the pressure over approximately a 36sq inch (6x6) area of my thigh.

Note on carrying OWB ...... the spread of the belt slots/loops are a big factor..... in spreading the weight.......... think the Bianchi 5BH with the single belt slot behind the holster vs...... a 'pancake style with 2 belt slots 4-41/2 inches apart.


Waiting for Red to add to the conversation.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #12  
Old 06-27-2018, 07:06 PM
fredj338's Avatar
fredj338 fredj338 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kalif. usa
Posts: 4,882
Likes: 1,161
Liked 2,256 Times in 1,444 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
All these threads about revolver vs auto, and no one as far as I can see has brought up weight distribution.

I was carrying my Beretta M9 for a while everyday in a leather pancake thumb break DeSantis holster. It has 18 rounds total of the Federal 115 gr. +p+. I then switched to carrying my S&W 686 plus loaded with 7 rounds of Winchester 125 gr. .357 mag SJHP.

Both of these guns are heavy. The Beretta is 33 ounces unloaded, the 686 is 40 ounces unloaded. Guess which one feels better on the belt? The 686 feels a lot lighter. Iíve deduced that the auto pistol carries most of its weight in the grip, which tends to pull the pistol outward away from the body, making it feel heavier.

The revolver has its weight spread out evenly, which makes it Ďlighterí on the belt, even though itís heavier. I think the 1911 feels similar to the revolver, as itís weight is more evenly distributed.
I think the diff is weight balance. In a plastic gun it is in the butt. In a steel gun it is more evenly distributed.
__________________
NRA Cert. Inst. IDPA CSO
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-27-2018, 10:39 PM
Old cop Old cop is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,574
Likes: 1,280
Liked 8,366 Times in 2,534 Posts
Default

Weight destribution not withstanding I was in three fights w/my issued revolver, trust that platform implicitly and still carry one in retirement.
__________________
Old Cop
LEO (Ret.)
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #14  
Old 06-27-2018, 11:05 PM
CB3's Avatar
CB3 CB3 is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 836
Likes: 509
Liked 719 Times in 327 Posts
Default

A proper belt and holster handle the weight distribution of a hi-cap auto just fine carried AIWB. Any 6-8 shot revolver, no matter the weight distribution, is harder to carry because of the shape of the gun. Holster enhancements like muzzle pads and claws keep the holster/auto tight up against your body without outward tipping. The weight is distributed through the belt around the hips.

OWB the revolver may carry better because of the weight distribution with a floppy holster on a thin, soft belt. However, a fully fastened auto holster on a wide, stiff belt will carry just fine, especially with new features like a muzzle pad to keep the grip tilted in.

In short, if you have problems carrying a gun because of weight distribution issues based on a grip full of rounds, those issues have been resolved by numerous belt and holster makers. If I’m going to carry 40+ oz of gun with 6 bullets, or 40+ oz of gun with 18 bullets, I know why I’m carrying the SA.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #15  
Old 07-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Whitwabit Whitwabit is offline
US Veteran
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,514
Likes: 1,132
Liked 2,254 Times in 1,095 Posts
Default

How much of the difference in feel is due to the difference in holster's
and how the pistol rides on the belt ..

I would think that is the difference not the difference in balance of the 2 pistols ..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 PM
TomkinsSP's Avatar
TomkinsSP TomkinsSP is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: May 2017
Location: E of America's Great Lake
Posts: 2,129
Likes: 1,156
Liked 3,040 Times in 1,200 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
The revolver has superfluous weight.

The chamber of any gun needs to be heavy and strong enough to contain the forces generated at firing. The revolver has five to eight chambers, yet only one of them can be used at any one time. The auto has one chamber which is reused until the supply of ammo onboard is exhausted.

So a six round auto will be much lighter than a six round revolver.

Feel is subjective.
Having REDUNDANT (not superfluous) chambers comes in handy if your "one chamber which is reused until the supply of ammo onboard is exhausted." Contains a dud round, or an overpower round that creates a FTFeed, or an underpower round that creates a FTEject.

All of your redundant chambers are fully supported so that when you fire 50 rounds you get 50 reloadable cases (without wearing out your back).
__________________
Certified Curmudgeon
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-03-2018, 12:54 AM
CB3's Avatar
CB3 CB3 is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 836
Likes: 509
Liked 719 Times in 327 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomkinsSP View Post
Having REDUNDANT (not superfluous) chambers comes in handy if your "one chamber which is reused until the supply of ammo onboard is exhausted." Contains a dud round, or an overpower round that creates a FTFeed, or an underpower round that creates a FTEject.

All of your redundant chambers are fully supported so that when you fire 50 rounds you get 50 reloadable cases (without wearing out your back).
Except of course when a primer backs out and jams the cylinder.

Or a squib lodges between the cylinder and the barrel, or in the barrel.

Or if the ejector gets a little loose and being unscrewed locks up the cylinder.

Or internal parts/springs break.

Or enough debris gets under the extractor to raise it a smidgeon and bind up the cylinder.

Or you get the same over pressure load that takes out a semi.

You have to clean six chambers instead of one.

Revolvers are not foolproof. Generally, if one goes tits up, itís only useful as a small club. The advantage of not having to pick up brass is inconsequential for most people.

Semiís can run suppressors better than revolvers.

Grabbing the cylinder of an opponentís revolver will prevent it from firing.

Really, one could go on with inane comparisons. Itís a choice of chances. Those who believe the reliability of revolvers overcomes their limited capacity and slow reloading are not wrong. They just use different criteria for their decisions.

But like semi-autos, revolvers are man made machines with tolerances and timing and parts that do get out of whack and weaknesses in their 150 year old design that can render them useless just like semi-autos but in different ways. Most malfs with a semi are easily fixable and will quickly put the gun back in action.

All that matters is that you feel confident in your choices. Just make sure in your priorities that you are dealing with truth and not lore.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-03-2018, 12:58 AM
jwk jwk is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 223
Likes: 59
Liked 130 Times in 62 Posts
Default

I vote for the holster making most of the difference particularly a hi rise v a lower riding holster. Hi rise might conceal better but a lower rise carries more comfortably. Apples to apples I can carry a 4 inch N frame more comfortably that I can a Golck 19 in an IWB holster. There is more of the weight down below the top edge of my waistband w the revolver. W the Glock the weight of the ammo in the grip levers the muzzle end of the slide into me until it hurts to carry.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-03-2018, 01:09 AM
CB3's Avatar
CB3 CB3 is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 836
Likes: 509
Liked 719 Times in 327 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwk View Post
I vote for the holster making most of the difference. W the Glock the weight of the ammo in the grip levers the muzzle end of the slide into me until it hurts to carry.
The answer for some may be a revolver. For others, it is a better holster for the semi.

Apples to apples, the weight of the gun is contained in the holster. The holster either distributes all the weight evenly onto the gun belt, and the belt to a large area of the waist/hips, or you donít have a good holster. Modern IWB semi holsters (made within the last 2-3 years) overcome tipping, discomfort, and weight distribution perceptions.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-03-2018, 07:41 AM
TomkinsSP's Avatar
TomkinsSP TomkinsSP is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: May 2017
Location: E of America's Great Lake
Posts: 2,129
Likes: 1,156
Liked 3,040 Times in 1,200 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Except of course when a primer backs out and jams the cylinder.

Or a squib lodges between the cylinder and the barrel, or in the barrel.

Or if the ejector gets a little loose and being unscrewed locks up the cylinder.

Or internal parts/springs break.

Or enough debris gets under the extractor to raise it a smidgeon and bind up the cylinder.

Or you get the same over pressure load that takes out a semi.

You have to clean six chambers instead of one.

Revolvers are not foolproof. Generally, if one goes tits up, itís only useful as a small club. The advantage of not having to pick up brass is inconsequential for most people.

Semiís can run suppressors better than revolvers.

Grabbing the cylinder of an opponentís revolver will prevent it from firing.

Really, one could go on with inane comparisons. Itís a choice of chances. Those who believe the reliability of revolvers overcomes their limited capacity and slow reloading are not wrong. They just use different criteria for their decisions.

But like semi-autos, revolvers are man made machines with tolerances and timing and parts that do get out of whack and weaknesses in their 150 year old design that can render them useless just like semi-autos but in different ways. Most malfs with a semi are easily fixable and will quickly put the gun back in action.

All that matters is that you feel confident in your choices. Just make sure in your priorities that you are dealing with truth and not lore.
Each mechanical failure mentioned will render a firearm of whatever type a non ergonomic club. So will squibs. Except for massive overpressure loads Autos are more ammunition sensitive both in design and charge.

Rule One: have a gun.
__________________
Certified Curmudgeon
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Chief Wiggums Chief Wiggums is offline
Member
One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto One big difference b/w revolver and auto  
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 111
Likes: 85
Liked 132 Times in 58 Posts
Default

I own , and "Love" both guns.
Although my Beretta is a member of the M9 series , the 92FS.

I am, by far , most proficient w my 92FS , versus any of my other sidearms.
Albeit, I have only owned the 686 for a few months and have run less than 1K rounds thru it.

Both guns are a "tank".
In the hot and steamy Ohio summer, I only carry my PX4 Storm Compact or my Shield 9.

Carrying the 92FS in the fall & winter months is really not unpleasant due to the weight. My first concern is how well I can conceal and eliminate printing.

Once again as posted above, in a situation of conflict I would prefer the 92 w 15+1 , versus the 686 w 7 , regardless of the weight distribution.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the difference between 380 ACP and 380 Auto... Strat72 Ammo 45 06-29-2018 09:01 PM
.45 Auto diameter.... Does .001" make a difference? Hillbilly77 Reloading 16 04-19-2016 06:08 PM
Custom Shop Revolver package difference psychephylax S&W-Smithing 6 03-23-2011 12:36 PM
.32 auto in a .32 H&R Revolver? Frizzman Ammo 8 12-09-2009 05:06 PM
Auto or Revolver Marshall 357 The Lounge 37 05-17-2009 06:57 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 AM.


© S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2018
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)