Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

Concealed Carry & Self Defense All aspects of Concealed and Open Carry, Home and Self Defense.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-02-2020, 07:41 PM
biku324's Avatar
biku324 biku324 is online now
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Permanently NM; now Bosni
Posts: 1,082
Likes: 2,130
Liked 2,149 Times in 701 Posts
Default Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident

Not sure how threatening a jury will find 2 unarmed women are to two armed CCW permit holders.

Couple charged with assault after viral video shows them pulling gun on Black mom, daughter | TheHill

A more complete story: Angry exchange on video shows gun being pulled on mom, teen in Orion Twp.

Last edited by biku324; 07-02-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #2  
Old 07-02-2020, 08:22 PM
BE Mike's Avatar
BE Mike BE Mike is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,692
Likes: 1,309
Liked 2,145 Times in 958 Posts
Default

Everyone is on edge and nerves are exposed. This is a very good time to just let little incidents roll off one's back and not confront one another. Just say excuse me and let the matter drop. Ignore the yelling and name calling. Nobody wants to back down and this is a sad situation.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-02-2020, 08:28 PM
biku324's Avatar
biku324 biku324 is online now
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Permanently NM; now Bosni
Posts: 1,082
Likes: 2,130
Liked 2,149 Times in 701 Posts
Default

And just drive away.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #4  
Old 07-02-2020, 08:40 PM
Injunbro Injunbro is online now
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 291
Likes: 1,976
Liked 554 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Consider the source, their reporting is usually very slanted. Also if you pull a gun use, it - otherwise you didn't need to pull it. DON'T brandish a gun.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-2020, 08:57 PM
hogblue hogblue is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S.W. Missouri
Posts: 312
Likes: 108
Liked 458 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Even if it is a good shoot the media has you convicted awaiting sentencing before the sun sets.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #6  
Old 07-02-2020, 10:03 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 7,515
Likes: 13,534
Liked 9,132 Times in 4,248 Posts
Default

These are very strange times. A little politeness would go a long way right about now. Is that too much to ask?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-02-2020, 10:17 PM
Forte Smitten Wesson Forte Smitten Wesson is offline
Suspended
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,706
Likes: 2,116
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,097 Posts
Default

Maybe it's because I've been sick, all cooped up inside, and can't seem to escape from reports of people acting like complete mindless animals, but I'm really fed up with how stupid people are being.

I really wanted to think that the COVID-19 outbreak would bring people closer together, united by a common threat, but as usual I have grossly overestimated the majority of the human race because I just think too darn logically rather than allowing raw emotional impulse to dictate my actions as so many others do. I swear, intellect, reason, and cognitive thought are wasted on humanity because evidently more people are driven by animal instinct and emotional impulse. I presume that thinking takes too much effort or otherwise gets in the way of the insatiable urge for instant gratification, so pesky thoughts are hastily swept aside in favor of whatever raw emotional impulse demands. Forget that drawing a deadly weapon and pointing it at something that isn't actually a threat to you is unnecessary and irresponsible. Ignore the potential consequences of threatening someone's life. And whatever you do, don't stop to consider the possibility that what you are doing might be foolish, much less wrong. No, "animal angry, KILL!!!" you're doing great. Humanity has only been around for how long now, yet despite the ever-growing amount of recorded knowledge, all the time to reflect upon past mistakes, learn, and ultimately grow, the vast majority still seems to repeat the same endless cycle of stupidity. Who needs virtues like patience, empathy, humility, charity, understanding, and kindness when you can just be an impulsive fool all of the time? Why strive for an A+ when you can pass with a C-, right?

I'd like to say to hell with all of these people. It's honestly enough to welcome isolation or death as preferable alternatives to continuing to live surrounded by such infuriating displays of persistent stupidity, wanton impulsiveness, and perpetual mediocrity. However, I am not a hypocrite, so I won't succumb to emotional impulse, effectively rendering it the defining characteristic of my very existence. I'd rather live on to possibly see the day in which people actually succeed and do the right thing by coming together and helping each other out. Obviously it can be done, it happens every day, otherwise society wouldn't exist. The real problem is that people spend too much time focusing on petty grievances rather than the things that actually matter.

If one wishes to determine the true measure of their fellow man, one needn't make note of how they behaves every day, but on their worst day.

Last edited by Forte Smitten Wesson; 07-03-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-02-2020, 10:48 PM
Rudi Rudi is online now
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2,211
Likes: 3,563
Liked 5,160 Times in 1,612 Posts
Default

I don't have enough time to watch such stupidity. May God help us.
__________________
No baby we aint
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #9  
Old 07-02-2020, 11:40 PM
pawngal pawngal is online now
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Okoboji, IA
Posts: 4,199
Likes: 18,926
Liked 14,307 Times in 3,263 Posts
Default

Plenty of Stupid on all sides of that one.
__________________
_______________
Super Snooper
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #10  
Old 07-03-2020, 11:23 AM
BE Mike's Avatar
BE Mike BE Mike is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,692
Likes: 1,309
Liked 2,145 Times in 958 Posts
Default

Because everyone has a video recorder. These reports make rare incidents seem common. That is what is really sad and tearing us apart. Most folks are good people. Having said that, I can only control my behavior.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-03-2020, 01:32 PM
biku324's Avatar
biku324 biku324 is online now
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Permanently NM; now Bosni
Posts: 1,082
Likes: 2,130
Liked 2,149 Times in 701 Posts
Default

I'm convinced we will be back to 70s-era restrictions within 10 years just because of stupid, highly publicized incidents just like this. And, of course, the occasional mass-murdering whacko or racist.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #12  
Old 07-03-2020, 02:16 PM
scoobysnacker scoobysnacker is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 845
Likes: 467
Liked 1,035 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte Smitten Wesson View Post
Maybe it's because I've been sick, all cooped up inside, and can't seem to escape from reports of people acting like complete mindless animals, but I'm really fed up with how stupid people are being.
Consider exactly what you are saying, then apply it to the entire population...

People are getting increasingly stressed and irritable, and we're getting bombarded with inflammatory stimuli. Can't find a sports radio show etc (what used to be a traditional escape) without listening to "how bad it is", there's little escape without complete silence. And complete silence/isolation has it's own negative effects on people.

This is not a good situation. And it's only getting worse.

Someone on another site posted a link to ABC reporting that national parks have elements of discrimination and racism, because most visitors are "not people of color", and the park ranger's uniforms are too much like police "and scare people who don't trust police".
First off, that's laughable on the surface, it's so ridiculous. But on a deeper level, it's frightening, because it's yet another avenue of 'escape from daily life' that's being targeted.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #13  
Old 07-03-2020, 02:53 PM
Borderboss Borderboss is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 611
Likes: 358
Liked 979 Times in 347 Posts
Default

Another reason to carry pepper spray in your EDC.
__________________
John
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-03-2020, 03:26 PM
Forte Smitten Wesson Forte Smitten Wesson is offline
Suspended
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,706
Likes: 2,116
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,097 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacker View Post
Consider exactly what you are saying, then apply it to the entire population...

People are getting increasingly stressed and irritable, and we're getting bombarded with inflammatory stimuli. Can't find a sports radio show etc (what used to be a traditional escape) without listening to "how bad it is", there's little escape without complete silence. And complete silence/isolation has it's own negative effects on people.

This is not a good situation. And it's only getting worse.

Someone on another site posted a link to ABC reporting that national parks have elements of discrimination and racism, because most visitors are "not people of color", and the park ranger's uniforms are too much like police "and scare people who don't trust police".
First off, that's laughable on the surface, it's so ridiculous. But on a deeper level, it's frightening, because it's yet another avenue of 'escape from daily life' that's being targeted.
I completely understand what you're saying and I agree with you. However, that doesn't excuse people from rioting, looting, pulling guns on each other over a perceived offense, or even just plain being jerks.

Full disclosure, I've been sick for awhile now, which not only sucks because the symptoms are absolutely miserable, but also because I followed all of the safety guidelines, took all the necessary precautions, yet I still got sick because there were inconsiderate people in stores where I was shopping who didn't wear masks, didn't practice social distances, and I can only conclude were already infected because they were standing right behind me in line, practically coughing down my neck because they blatantly ignored the lines of colorful tape on the floor along with all the other safety guidelines because they didn't care. They were already sick, they knew it, and they didn't care to trouble themselves on the behalf of others.

Yeah, yeah... I know, statistically it isn't deadly unless you're over 60 and/or of poor health to begin with, but that doesn't matter. I would be angry even if I were sick with the common cold because of inconsiderate people, much less a virus which is potentially deadly and extremely unpleasant to cope with. The point is, I'm sick of people misbehaving while simultaneously feeling sorry for themselves.

On top of everything I'm having to cope with right now, I've got all my ordinary responsibilities, so I have to push myself that much harder every day, and I've managed to do it without rioting, looting, branding weapons at people, or being an inconsiderate jerk who exposes others to the virus by ignoring all the safety guidelines since I'm already sick.
By the way, I don't consider any of that to be something impressive or worthy of commendation, it's just common decency. It isn't hard, it's not something that requires any substantial amount of effort, it's as easy as making the conscious decision to act the way that I would like to be treated, and/or the exact polar opposite of the behavior that offends me. If everyone would just do that, then everything would be so much better, and in difficult times like these we could all use any break that we can get from stress/negativity.

At least people should be putting their petty differences, grievances, and never-ending nonsense aside until this is over. For example, I'm resisting the urge to begin ranting about my personal opinions in regards to a large number of social issues which are currently on the forefront of everything, but as I said, the virus is already bad enough, so I'm not going to add to that stress by blabbering about that ****.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #15  
Old 07-03-2020, 03:29 PM
HOUSTON RICK HOUSTON RICK is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HOUSTON, TEXAS
Posts: 7,997
Likes: 5,047
Liked 10,045 Times in 3,921 Posts
Default

If there is a god of stupidity, we are getting close to his temple.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
  #16  
Old 07-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Mrnurse Mrnurse is online now
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: nc
Posts: 485
Likes: 449
Liked 583 Times in 280 Posts
Default

I CCW in NC/SC ...all my Buds and I subscribe to the school of " NEVER DRAW A WEAPON UNLESS ITS LIFE AND DEATH AND IF PULLED USE IT PERIOD". I Tend to shy away from stupid arguments and stupid people to avoid a escalating event. I Never Go to Bars armed and keep to myself most the time, had a few nit wits over the years begging to get shot but avoided it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-03-2020, 07:56 PM
Protected One's Avatar
Protected One Protected One is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,298
Likes: 2,977
Liked 4,306 Times in 1,628 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biku324 View Post
And just drive away.
They tried to, but the mom stood behind their vehicle preventing them from backing out.
__________________
Stay protected my friends.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #18  
Old 07-03-2020, 07:59 PM
Protected One's Avatar
Protected One Protected One is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,298
Likes: 2,977
Liked 4,306 Times in 1,628 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biku324 View Post
Not sure how threatening a jury will find 2 unarmed women are to two armed CCW permit holders.

Couple charged with assault after viral video shows them pulling gun on Black mom, daughter | TheHill

A more complete story: Angry exchange on video shows gun being pulled on mom, teen in Orion Twp.
I speculate that the charges will be dropped and a jury will never hear this case.
__________________
Stay protected my friends.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #19  
Old 07-13-2020, 09:37 AM
Ogandydancer's Avatar
Ogandydancer Ogandydancer is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: High Point North Carolina
Posts: 1,976
Likes: 350
Liked 1,130 Times in 519 Posts
Default

Like someone else has already said lots of stupid on all sides. And as far as language goes there is no need to curse anyone if you can't talk with a civil tongue in you head keep your mouth shut according to my Grandmother and I have found thru the years that works very well.
__________________
I Cor. 10:13 "1611KJV"
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #20  
Old 07-13-2020, 10:12 AM
mikerjf mikerjf is online now
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 552
Likes: 286
Liked 726 Times in 295 Posts
Default

Good people are sitting ducks for the psychopaths that run the world, because good people don't expect evil in others. All the terrible things going on have a purpose - to divide us and distract us from the "men behind the curtain" as they pull their strings.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #21  
Old 07-13-2020, 10:19 AM
PALADIN85020's Avatar
PALADIN85020 PALADIN85020 is offline
US Veteran
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,350
Likes: 2,327
Liked 33,607 Times in 4,237 Posts
Default

Ignorance is one thing. It can be cured.

Stupidity is quite different. I believe Ron White made a very astute observation on this condition:

You can't fix stupid.

John
__________________
- Cogito, ergo armatus sum -
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #22  
Old 07-13-2020, 11:44 AM
bigggbbruce's Avatar
bigggbbruce bigggbbruce is online now
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where this month?
Posts: 3,491
Likes: 255
Liked 4,012 Times in 1,641 Posts
Default

My general observation.

You don't need to be white to be racist.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-13-2020, 12:04 PM
Drm50 Drm50 is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Monroe cnty. Ohio
Posts: 4,422
Likes: 3,326
Liked 6,352 Times in 2,361 Posts
Default

I’ve seen the video. There was no need for this. It was forced on the couple in the car. I think they will get off if there is a fair trial. But, they shouldn’t even engaged in conversation with people that were clearly looking for trouble. That kind of person may be armed and it would be practical to fear for your safety. This attitude coming from racial troubles of Floyd death is getting people killed all across this country. Most are innocent people that have no part in any racism. Best policy in this type of case is don’t involve yourself, even in conversation. There is no reasoning with these individuals.
Just like the couple in St.Louis, on their own property attacked by a mob of rioters they are held guilty by Tin Horn politicians.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #24  
Old 07-13-2020, 04:23 PM
ISCS Yoda's Avatar
ISCS Yoda ISCS Yoda is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 6,102
Likes: 1,498
Liked 8,067 Times in 3,012 Posts
Default

Quote:
......persistent stupidity, wanton impulsiveness, and perpetual mediocrity...
One of the finest pieces of excellent writing that I have ever seen. Perceptive, and correct. Thank you and get well soon!

I am no longer a concealed handgun instructor in Texas but I was for quite a long time. There was a section in the original course about behavior and the "parent-child" types of actions one can take to avoid an armed confrontation. Clearly, all of these people were in child mode without a rational thought going on between them.

It was somewhat difficult to see what happened as the couple in the car was attempting to back away but I do think an escalation was occurring for no reason. In turn, the occupants of the car escalated. None of that is in the "parent" or adult mode.

......persistent stupidity, wanton impulsiveness, and perpetual mediocrity...
__________________
Come and take it!!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #25  
Old 07-13-2020, 04:31 PM
Ranger514 Ranger514 is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northwest MT
Posts: 2,282
Likes: 8,510
Liked 3,004 Times in 1,207 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacker View Post

...Someone on another site posted a link to ABC reporting that national parks have elements of discrimination and racism, because most visitors are "not people of color", and the park ranger's uniforms are too much like police "and scare people who don't trust police".
First off, that's laughable on the surface, it's so ridiculous. But on a deeper level, it's frightening, because it's yet another avenue of 'escape from daily life' that's being targeted.
Temporary hijack...I served with the National Park Service as a LE Ranger for 23 years. During that time, we often received comments such as, "I didn't know park rangers carried guns." While they were a minority of incidents in our daily lives, we all had occasional visitors question our authority when enforcing traffic, resources, and criminal violations. "You're not a cop" wasn't unusual, despite the fact we wore full duty belts, sported the traditional federal, winged-eagle LE badge, and patrolled in LE equipped rigs.

On the other hand, some non-LE Interpretive Rangers wearing regular uniforms with the traditional smaller non-LE badge have been assaulted because they unknowingly walked into a criminal situation, or simply asked someone to pick up their litter, or put their dog on a leash, as required by regulations. In those cases, the presence of a uniform was seen as a symbol of unwanted police authority.

To further complicate matters, there are non-LE advocates within the NPS that don't see any need for law enforcement in the park, and actively advocate defunding enforcement. We called this the myopic "Disneyland Syndrome" that nothing bad ever happens to people in the National Park System. The NPS does a good job of obscuring the fact that crime follows criminals into the parks. Anyone who lives and works in the larger parks knows different.

With the increase in crime in public lands, more responsible parties have enabled better equipment and training for NPS law enforcement officers over the years, but funding is a constant battle, and the agency is currently understaffed in LE Officers, given the numbers of park visitors. Parks like Organ Pipe, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Lake Mead, Kings Canyon-Sequoia, and Blue Ridge Parkway (to name a few) are stressed during peak summertime visitation.

Sorry for the lecture, but just know that crime is present in the National Parks, and LE Rangers are doing their best to deal with it, along with Search and Rescue and EMS incidents. People with issues over uniforms should find other places to visit and recreate where their authority complex won't be burdened. Right now, I'm glad I'm retired.

Last edited by Ranger514; 07-13-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #26  
Old 07-13-2020, 04:43 PM
Forte Smitten Wesson Forte Smitten Wesson is offline
Suspended
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,706
Likes: 2,116
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,097 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerjf View Post
Good people are sitting ducks for the psychopaths that run the world, because good people don't expect evil in others.
My sentiments exactly. Such was a lesson that I learned long ago. I used to beat myself up all the time, thinking myself a terrible person because I often ended up unintentionally upsetting people with the things I said and did, but in reality I was just a dumb kid being a dumb kid.
Eventually I learned that in order to be a truly wicked person, you had to do harmful things deliberately, and that the essence of innocence was lacking knowledge of evil, which was made increasingly evident to me as I was continually shocked and horrified not only by the horrible actions of others, but by the fact that they had absolutely no guilt whatsoever for said actions or how many people got hurt in the process.

Quote:
l the terrible things going on have a purpose - to divide us and distract us from the "men behind the curtain" as they pull their strings.
There is truth in what you say, but unfortunately too many people spend so much time attempting to guess who "the men behind the curtain" are, getting it all wrong, blaming the wrong people, and only adding to the orchestrated chain-reaction of chaos which they themselves were unwittingly a part of.

Sometimes the best thing that you can do is be a good person on your own merits and refuse to directly participate in the chaos in any way, shape, or form whatsoever.

There are two particular sayings that ring true in this situation... "The path to Hell is paved with good intentions." Which is evident considering that most of the terrible things that happen are a chain reaction caused by many individuals doing little things which result in huge consequences, often times with the individuals involved thinking that their actions were justified and could have a positive outcome.
The next saying is, "The Devil's greatest triumph was convincing the world that he doesn't exist." Which also rings true in the sense what regardless of what terminology you choose to describe the ideology (or lack thereof) that good things can happen as a direct result of something bad happening, it is always motivated by the belief that evil (or whatever word you prefer for something that is entirely destructive in nature) doesn't exist, ergo nothing they do can be absolutely wrong or irrevocably destructive.

I think that somewhere along the line, as humanity's knowledge of the world expanded, as the elements were harnessed and used to advance humanity, people began to think too analytically for their own good, resulting in the belief that nothing could ever be purely destructive because pretty much everything we can see, touch, or comprehend in the known universe works both ways. Nothing in nature is objectively, absolutely destructive, because even the most destructive things also possess the potential for good. For example, fire can be used as a tool for destruction, but it also can do so many wonderful, helpful things as well, and everything else is the same.

However, the problem is that because the good generally tends to outweigh the bad, because there are far more ways to build something than there are to destroy, people seem to think in unilateral terms, relying on their actions to turn out for the best even if they are destructive to begin with because that's generally the way things work in nature. But there's the rub, nature doesn't think, it isn't sentient, it has no plans, and everything that happens in nature without the intervention of mankind is circumstantial. Humans are sentient, humans make plans, and regardless of what word you use to describe them, certain people do destructive things for selfish reasons, reasons which often times make no logical sense whatsoever, plans which exist for the sole pursuit of individual gratification. Depending on how ambitious the individual in question is, not to mention how tenacious they are in pursuit of their own selfish desires, they can come up with some really big plans, plans bigger than even they can foresee the consequences of, but it doesn't matter to them either way. Such individuals, unlike nature itself are completely destructive because they do nothing outside of the feverish pursuit of their own selfish desires, and they obviously don't care what happens to anyone else.

So, in conclusion, it is my belief that the root of the problem is that certain people are easily mislead one way or another, regardless of whether their intentions are good or bad, because of the persistent belief that they can essentially do no wrong, which brings us back to my previous post about people being dumb and refusing to accept personal responsibility for their actions, instead opting for the path of least resistance, never really striving to legitimately improve, just to be good enough to get by. (Hence my analogy; "Why strive for an A+ when you can pass with a C-?" )
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #27  
Old 07-14-2020, 09:02 AM
Donn's Avatar
Donn Donn is offline
US Veteran
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,888
Likes: 6
Liked 4,057 Times in 1,568 Posts
Default

Don't know about anyone else here, but since I started carrying every day, my "fuse" has gotten a lot longer. People & things that might've triggered me in the past, I let go as best I can. Does it still happen? Of course, I'm human. But now, instead of an immediate response, I count to 10 and think twice.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-14-2020, 09:21 AM
hotshot357 hotshot357 is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 246
Likes: 3,097
Liked 461 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Don't know about anyone else here, but since I started carrying every day, my "fuse" has gotten a lot longer. People & things that might've triggered me in the past, I let go as best I can. Does it still happen? Of course, I'm human. But now, instead of an immediate response, I count to 10 and think twice.
That is an excellent approach!!!!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #29  
Old 07-14-2020, 11:19 AM
Forte Smitten Wesson Forte Smitten Wesson is offline
Suspended
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,706
Likes: 2,116
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,097 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISCS Yoda View Post
One of the finest pieces of excellent writing that I have ever seen. Perceptive, and correct. Thank you and get well soon!
Thank you very much. I'm glad that you liked it. I've actually since made a full recovery, although it definitely took its toll on me. I'll live, but my lungs don't feel quite the same as they used to.
In fact, I can safely say that in my own personal experience with the virus, it definitely shouldn't be underestimated. There was one night in particular early on in which I really thought that I was going to die just from how painful it was. So yeah, follow all the safety guidelines. Wash your hands, don't touch your face, clean everything you get, (groceries/mail/etc) and if someone comes within six feet of you coughing without a mask on, uppercut their mouth shut and shove them backwards. Well okay, maybe not that last one, but considering that's how I ended up catching it, you can imagine why I would say that.

Quote:
I am no longer a concealed handgun instructor in Texas but I was for quite a long time. There was a section in the original course about behavior and the "parent-child" types of actions one can take to avoid an armed confrontation. Clearly, all of these people were in child mode without a rational thought going on between them.

It was somewhat difficult to see what happened as the couple in the car was attempting to back away but I do think an escalation was occurring for no reason. In turn, the occupants of the car escalated. None of that is in the "parent" or adult mode.

......persistent stupidity, wanton impulsiveness, and perpetual mediocrity...
Yeah, I used to know someone like that, she refused to carry a gun regardless of how many close calls she claimed to have had, saying that she was "afraid she would use it" and when I told her that was kind of the point, she specified that she was afraid that she would use it unnecessarily when it wasn't actually needed. Unfortunately, there was no talking to her on the subject, so I basically just accepted that she couldn't be trusted to handle firearms responsibly, and tried to appreciate the fact that at least she was aware of it enough not to want to endanger others with it.

It has always frustrated and upset me whenever I see people behaving irresponsibly, foolishly, or otherwise carelessly, taking their actions too lightly as if they are without lasting consequences. I'm not an arrogant man either, in fact I've struggled throughout my life with feelings of inferiority or inadequacy due to handicaps holding me back and lack of opportunities for advancement, so I'm not looking down on anyone, if anything it just bothers me to see people squandering their potential by choosing to settle for mediocrity when they could be more, such is the basis of my frustration. I felt the need to specify that just in case anyone happens to get the wrong idea based on my strong choice of words directed towards these irresponsible people.

In my opinion, the defining characteristic of an adult is the ability to assume personal responsibility for their actions as well as the consequences of said actions. One simply cannot grow without that ability, otherwise they just spend their entire lives blaming others and wallowing in jealousy like a child, rendering themselves completely incapable of ever advancing because the moment they encounter the tiniest bit of resistance they just give up.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #30  
Old 07-14-2020, 11:33 AM
Old_Cop Old_Cop is offline
SWCA Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Crawford County PA
Posts: 2,236
Likes: 2,527
Liked 3,932 Times in 1,431 Posts
Default

Note to all: People were jerks before Covid and remain so now. Ask anyone who was or is a police officer. Think "It's all about me."
__________________
Made it, Ma! Top of the world!
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #31  
Old 07-14-2020, 11:44 AM
keith44spl's Avatar
keith44spl keith44spl is offline
SWCA Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Red River Valley
Posts: 7,449
Likes: 12,304
Liked 26,547 Times in 4,919 Posts
Default

It's those damn masks....

Folks suckin' in their own CO2....killin their much need brain cells.

.
__________________
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #32  
Old 07-14-2020, 12:33 PM
loknload's Avatar
loknload loknload is offline
Member
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: PA.
Posts: 9,692
Likes: 50,429
Liked 43,686 Times in 8,549 Posts
Default

In todayís society and whatís happening across the nation I believe that there are people (Idiots)out there just wanting to stir up a confrontation to cry racism. Hoping to get their day in the National news story and maybe win a law suit somewhere along the line.
If I bump into someone I just give them oh excuse me, Iím sorry, smile and walk away. If the person wants to make an issue thatís on them but I keep walking. I donít have time for idiots and their nonsense.
Nothing like this has ever happened to me? And Iím surely not going to pull a handgun over it!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #33  
Old 07-14-2020, 03:54 PM
Forte Smitten Wesson Forte Smitten Wesson is offline
Suspended
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,706
Likes: 2,116
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,097 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loknload View Post
In todayís society and whatís happening across the nation I believe that there are people (Idiots)out there just wanting to stir up a confrontation to cry racism. Hoping to get their day in the National news story and maybe win a law suit somewhere along the line.
No doubt about that, especially when there are social movements which seem to exist solely for the purpose of reaopening old wounds and increasing racial sensitivity going on in the background in order to provoke just that sort of behavior.

Honestly, it ought to be abundantly clear to anyone with good intentions that these sorts of things don't help anyone and always just end up causing trouble, so I don't buy for a single minute that organizations don't mean any harm when they do things like constantly call attention to isolated incidents of police brutality, label them as racially motivated hate crimes, get everyone all riled up, then promote protests which they have to know will inevitably get violent at some point since they're bound to get out of hand with so many angry folks packed tightly together, often making a public nuisance in the progress, then police will be called in who have been painted as bigoted oppressors and victimizers.
Yeah, that's totally not an obvious recipe for disaster, especially when it has gone badly several times over.

And once again, it all goes back to what I've been saying all along about failure to accept personal responsibility causing trouble. If everyone would only accept personal responsibility for their actions and the consequences they bring, then these things wouldn't happen. Because we wouldn't have entire legions of easily manipulated people who refuse to accept such responsibility and thus are all too happy to accept a mindset that enables them to relinquish all responsibility such as assuming the identity of a born victim, oppressed and downtrodden with absolutely no hope of ever succeeding, so why bother trying? It's the perfect excuse to do whatever you want, whenever you want, and when your life never improves, you don't have to blame yourself because the entire world would have banded together to block you at every turn.

Granted, it's not everone's fault who thinks that way, namely young people who were raised in an environment that promotes that way of thinking, and ostracizes anyone who refuses to accept it. It happens all over the world and can happen to anyone growing up, (regardless of race, gender, or creed) but there comes an age when people ought to start thinking for themselves, and the conscious decision to either reject or accept that way of thinking is what separates the adults from the perpetual children who refuse to accept personal responsibility.

I myself fell prey to that way of thinking in my youth, but eventually I rejected it. It most certainly has left its mark on me, and made it hard to persevere at times, nearly falling back into that old defeatist attitude whenever I failed, but then I remember a decision that I made long ago, to be the survivor who never gives up rather than the victim who accepted absolute defeat, never to try again. No one should have to live like that, and shame on those who promote that attitude because they have become the very monster they claim to stand against, the oppressive force that holds them back. It's not "the man" or some majority ethnic group or whatever scapegoat you fancy, not in this great country at least, and it makes me mad to think off all the brave patriots who fought for freedom only to be dishonored by disingenuous rhetoric and constant reminders of a bygone era of oppression.

Quote:
If I bump into someone I just give them oh excuse me, Iím sorry, smile and walk away. If the person wants to make an issue thatís on them but I keep walking. I donít have time for idiots and their nonsense.
Nothing like this has ever happened to me? And Iím surely not going to pull a handgun over it!
That's the way you do it.

Sorry to repeatedly ramble on so long in this thread about all this stuff, but I'm passionate about it, now more than ever.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #34  
Old 07-14-2020, 07:12 PM
Smoke Smoke is offline
Suspended
Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident Another 'Stupid is as Stupid Does' Incident  
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,669
Likes: 2,313
Liked 6,201 Times in 2,281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
Consider the source, their reporting is usually very slanted. Also if you pull a gun use, it - otherwise you didn't need to pull it. DON'T brandish a gun.
This GOT to be some of the WORST advice I've ever heard on the interwebs

You certainly shouldn't draw without the intent to fire but if they back down before your sights are on target you need to be able to stop

Last edited by Smoke; 07-14-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You Can't Fix Stupid! 1morethan8 The Lounge 49 07-27-2019 11:06 PM
A"mazed" - Stupid Is As Stupid Does! PA Reb The Lounge 26 10-13-2011 11:09 PM
Help did something stupid HDS S&W-Smithing 6 07-30-2010 05:41 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)