Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > General Topics > Firearms & Knives - Other Brands
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Gebe's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: State Of Jefferson
Posts: 301
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default What Do You Folks Think About Heritage Rough Rider Single Six Revolvers?

I just went for a brand new but with factory blemish Heritage Rough Rider 22LR/22MAG revolver for $150.00 with free shipping from Bud's Gun Shop.

It's not the steel frame model and is the alloy frame model but that's fine with me. I like the lighter weight of the alloy frame and alloy frames are fine for shooting 22LR and 22Mag. ammo.

A lot of modern revolvers and pistols that shoot heavy calibers have switched to alloy frames long ago and have proven very durable.

I couldn't believe that one could buy a 22LR/22MAG single six in this day and age for such little money and I had to try one out.

Yes, I know Ruger's single six is very quality but for over $250.00 more, I can buy a lot of ammo and not have to worry about knocking this around.

So what do you folks think about the Heritage Rough Rider single six?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2011, 09:36 PM
ditrina's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunny Central Florida
Posts: 6,372
Likes: 6,950
Liked 4,697 Times in 1,292 Posts
Default

It will do EXACTLY what you want it to do... My LGS sells lots of them
__________________
SWCA #2306
DAV in honor of POP
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2011, 09:38 PM
sigp220.45's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 2,540
Likes: 2,777
Liked 2,387 Times in 509 Posts
Default

I got one like this in a trade:



Since the trade also included a Ted Williams shotgun, I am immune from ever being called a gun snob in this lifetime.

I gave it to my Dad, who was thrilled with it. I put fifty rounds through it first, and it worked fine. The safety is kind of funky, but the gun is smooth and seemingly well made.

I thing you'll be pleased.
__________________
Hate da circus-love da clowns
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lafayette, Tennessee
Posts: 3,818
Likes: 2,494
Liked 2,140 Times in 891 Posts
Default

I had one, and it was smoother and shot better than my Ruger Single Six. The fit and finish are that of an inexpensive handgun, but they are shooters nonetheless.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Gebe's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: State Of Jefferson
Posts: 301
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Sounds good and thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to like this!

I'd rather pay for a much cheaper, knock-around and USER single six than a much more expensive one that I would have to worry about dinging up.

I'm still amazed they can sell this for $150.00!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2011, 12:45 AM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: middle Ga.
Posts: 2,107
Likes: 19
Liked 134 Times in 76 Posts
Default

I wish I could convert some of my center-fires to 22 for $150. You got a good gun at an excellent price.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2011, 01:46 AM
Andy Griffith's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northeast Georgia
Posts: 4,873
Likes: 62
Liked 468 Times in 238 Posts
Default

I've had a 9" one for quite some time...can't remember exactly how I got it.

I picked up an adjustable sight one a bit back, and it shoots better than my customized Bisley single six. I really do like the fiber optic sights. Never a malfunction, and I bought a set of oversized grips for it.
__________________
Lost it all in a boat accident
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 412
Likes: 31
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Default

I bought 6 1/2" one a few years ago, and have few complaints (once I figured out where to aim it, based on the fact that it always hit high left.) Never have tried the magnum cylinder, but the LR one suits me fine and dandy--and there'd be several rabbits and squirrels that would also say it shoots well (if they could.) Worthwhile purchase at $50 more, even.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 AM
LHS's Avatar
LHS LHS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 582
Likes: 2
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

My brother has one and like his HiPoint it is what he could afford after saving for a long time.

It shoots every time he pulls the trigger, and he usually hits the general area he aims at, and he like it.

To him (and me) that is all that matters. It will never outshoot my 617, but then again, I will never turn down a chance to shoot it or his HiPoint, and I will never refuse him a chance to shoot any of my guns. In fact, when we go shooting, he shoots my M&P's more than me, and I shoot his HP a lot. I even provide most of the ammo and sometimes even "forget" to put a box back in my range bag if we have any left over so he has some to shoot if I am not around.

Just because I can afford better guns does not make me better, it just means I need to be a more sharing kind of guy to those who can not.

Part of what makes a person a "responsible" gun owner is the way he acts around others. A snob only makes one look down on that guy and his weapons. If someone is looking at one of my guns at the range and I feel they are able to shoot it safely, I will offer them a few shots. If they are not shooting safely, I will either offer a few hints or tell the range officer so he can give them help. Makes it a safer more enjoyable place for everyone, and has even resulted in 2 new pistol sales at the store upstairs where the people shot my gun and went right up and bought one!

Okay, I'll shut up now.
__________________
Good life will not Heaven get!

Last edited by LHS; 05-22-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Stainz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pinson, AL
Posts: 2,094
Likes: 44
Liked 431 Times in 246 Posts
Default

I've seen and shot two of them. Not for me. One friend replaced his short-lived one with a 5" 63, which he loved, albeit for a short time (I bought it from his estate.). To quote him re his 'Rough Rider', "If your expectations are low... they will likely be met!". When asked if it would suffice for the occasional shooter, he said, "Think box of ammo - not brick!". He wasn't very fond of his, that's for sure. I recall his lamenting that it had a plastic hammer. His comment on the 63 was, however, classic, "I should have listened to you earlier!". I had suggested he buy something better when he bought the Rough Rider - and buy it once. He had just bought a Ruger Single Six when he passed.

I know it is difficult to make the case for a Ruger SS, not to mention a S&W 63 or 617, but I will restate the obvious. You cannot pay too much for a good firearm. You can easily pay too much for a poor example. A low fixed income will require careful planning - perhaps, even selling/trading an old friend, but a new rimfire revolver can find it's way into your safe.

Good luck with your Rough Rider.

Stainz
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 AM
jimmyj's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DUNNELLON, FLORIDA USA
Posts: 6,054
Likes: 476
Liked 3,062 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default

Had one-no complaints.
I understand the customer service is excellant.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Chesterfield, Va.
Posts: 2,174
Likes: 400
Liked 1,262 Times in 463 Posts
Default

For $150.00 I might get one. The problem is around here they're priced at $225.00 to $250.00. I can find used Ruger Single Six's in that price range. I bought two last summer for $250.00 each (That's from a dealer, not finding a "poor, widder woman.).
__________________
John 3:16 .
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-22-2011, 10:09 AM
truckemup97's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Indian Territory
Posts: 3,272
Likes: 1,600
Liked 459 Times in 218 Posts
Default

I picked one up used, well under $100. It's OK. The safety is weird, the fit and finish are that of an inexpensive gun, but it goes bang every time and hits what I aim it at.
__________________
Insert short witty words here
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-22-2011, 03:49 PM
deduke1907's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ohio
Posts: 435
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebe View Post
I just went for a brand new but with factory blemish Heritage Rough Rider 22LR/22MAG revolver for $150.00 with free shipping from Bud's Gun Shop.

It's not the steel frame model and is the alloy frame model but that's fine with me. I like the lighter weight of the alloy frame and alloy frames are fine for shooting 22LR and 22Mag. ammo.

A lot of modern revolvers and pistols that shoot heavy calibers have switched to alloy frames long ago and have proven very durable.

I couldn't believe that one could buy a 22LR/22MAG single six in this day and age for such little money and I had to try one out.

Yes, I know Ruger's single six is very quality but for over $250.00 more, I can buy a lot of ammo and not have to worry about knocking this around.

So what do you folks think about the Heritage Rough Rider single six?
now all you need is a fancy pair of jigged bone grips like my rough rider
__________________
DEDUKE
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 3,227
Likes: 0
Liked 1,003 Times in 569 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Dick Rumbaugh
Default

Our local gun shop sells a lot of them. Never had one myself so don't know the longevity of them.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East TN
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just traded off a 5 inch barrel model. I looked great fit up well and had a nice action but I couldn't hit the house with it. I had to aim about five inches right and four inches low to get close to the target. I went along with that but I was starting to get blowback every time I shot it. The last time felt like little pieces of sand hitting my cheek. That's when it found a new home. I probably should have given Heritage a chance to make it right but I traded on a single six .17 hmr which a tack driver.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Gebe's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: State Of Jefferson
Posts: 301
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS View Post
My brother has one and like his HiPoint it is what he could afford after saving for a long time.

It shoots every time he pulls the trigger, and he usually hits the general area he aims at, and he like it.

To him (and me) that is all that matters. It will never outshoot my 617, but then again, I will never turn down a chance to shoot it or his HiPoint, and I will never refuse him a chance to shoot any of my guns. In fact, when we go shooting, he shoots my M&P's more than me, and I shoot his HP a lot. I even provide most of the ammo and sometimes even "forget" to put a box back in my range bag if we have any left over so he has some to shoot if I am not around.

Just because I can afford better guns does not make me better, it just means I need to be a more sharing kind of guy to those who can not.

Part of what makes a person a "responsible" gun owner is the way he acts around others. A snob only makes one look down on that guy and his weapons. If someone is looking at one of my guns at the range and I feel they are able to shoot it safely, I will offer them a few shots. If they are not shooting safely, I will either offer a few hints or tell the range officer so he can give them help. Makes it a safer more enjoyable place for everyone, and has even resulted in 2 new pistol sales at the store upstairs where the people shot my gun and went right up and bought one!

Okay, I'll shut up now.
Very well said LHS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainz View Post
I've seen and shot two of them. Not for me. One friend replaced his short-lived one with a 5" 63, which he loved, albeit for a short time (I bought it from his estate.). To quote him re his 'Rough Rider', "If your expectations are low... they will likely be met!". When asked if it would suffice for the occasional shooter, he said, "Think box of ammo - not brick!". He wasn't very fond of his, that's for sure. I recall his lamenting that it had a plastic hammer. His comment on the 63 was, however, classic, "I should have listened to you earlier!". I had suggested he buy something better when he bought the Rough Rider - and buy it once. He had just bought a Ruger Single Six when he passed.

I know it is difficult to make the case for a Ruger SS, not to mention a S&W 63 or 617, but I will restate the obvious. You cannot pay too much for a good firearm. You can easily pay too much for a poor example. A low fixed income will require careful planning - perhaps, even selling/trading an old friend, but a new rimfire revolver can find it's way into your safe.

Good luck with your Rough Rider.

Stainz
Thanks Stainz and I know what you mean as I have a stainless 6" 617, 3" 317 and 4" 17-6. I truly love quality but I also love knock-around, inexpensive guns that shoot well. I also LOVE rimfires and can't get enough of them especially at this price if it shoots point of aim.

I'll report back after I receive it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:55 PM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,356
Likes: 1,964
Liked 892 Times in 505 Posts
Thumbs up $150 Rough Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebe View Post
I just went for a brand new but with factory blemish Heritage Rough Rider 22LR/22MAG revolver for $150.00 with free shipping from Bud's Gun Shop.

It's not the steel frame model and is the alloy frame model but that's fine with me. I like the lighter weight of the alloy frame and alloy frames are fine for shooting 22LR and 22Mag. ammo.

A lot of modern revolvers and pistols that shoot heavy calibers have switched to alloy frames long ago and have proven very durable.

I couldn't believe that one could buy a 22LR/22MAG single six in this day and age for such little money and I had to try one out.

Yes, I know Ruger's single six is very quality but for over $250.00 more, I can buy a lot of ammo and not have to worry about knocking this around.

So what do you folks think about the Heritage Rough Rider single six?
I like 'em, and $150? I think you stole it!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 PM
novalty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 12,828
Likes: 180
Liked 1,076 Times in 668 Posts
Default

My father-in-law has one, and it shoots very well. I mentioned about getting one for my kids to learn a revolver on when they get older, and he said to look them over thoroughly as the fit & finish can vary greatly.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-27-2011, 04:43 PM
sigp220.45's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 2,540
Likes: 2,777
Liked 2,387 Times in 509 Posts
Default

I just got caught up on DVRed episodes of "Swamp People". In one episode, the blond kid with the missing front teeth borrowed a Rough Rider .22 magnum after he was unsatisfied with the performance of an old Winchester .22 LR autoloader.

He killed a bunch of gator's with it, and now thinks its some kind of death ray!
__________________
Hate da circus-love da clowns
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wood Co., Texas
Posts: 370
Likes: 210
Liked 160 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Bought one last Christmas for one of the grandsons, his first pistol....he's a pig hunter and has used it a lot for finish shots.....22mag. only, I don't think he's even fired the lr cylinder...he loves it and it works very well at the assigned task...he's 14 and lovin' every minute of it...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Andy Griffith's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northeast Georgia
Posts: 4,873
Likes: 62
Liked 468 Times in 238 Posts
Default

.22 magnum at close range is mean!
__________________
Lost it all in a boat accident
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-31-2011, 01:36 AM
Gebe's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: State Of Jefferson
Posts: 301
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deduke1907 View Post
now all you need is a fancy pair of jigged bone grips like my rough rider
Hopefully I will have a pair soon my friend that look as good as yours in your picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therevjay View Post
I like 'em, and $150? I think you stole it!
That's what I thought too and I couldn't pass it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigp220.45 View Post
I just got caught up on DVRed episodes of "Swamp People". In one episode, the blond kid with the missing front teeth borrowed a Rough Rider .22 magnum after he was unsatisfied with the performance of an old Winchester .22 LR autoloader.
He killed a bunch of gator's with it, and now thinks its some kind of death ray!
I saw that episode and it was indeed a Rough Rider and in 22Mag. It sure made mince meat of those gators.

I still haven't taken ownership of the Rough Rider. It's been at my FFL for several days but he had to undergo emergency surgery and I have to wait until he returns to work which might be tomorrow.

After that, I have to wait the California 10 day background check to finally receive it. Buying a gun in liberal Calif. is a long journey!

Like I said, I'll report back with my thoughts on the gun after I receive it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-31-2011, 02:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Posts: 341
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I stocked & sold Heritage Revolvers for 5 years, then one day I chanced upon a guy whose Heritage malfunctioned badly, the 22Lr bullet somehow ruptured the pot-metal barrel directly under the front sight. He returned the gun to Heritage who charged him to install a new barrel on his gun and claimed it was out of warranty, being that it was around 5 years old.I decided that it was due to inferior metalurgy and e-mailed Heritage asking for more details. Due to their shoddy workmanship and poor warranty I decided to no longer carry their line of crummy guns. Thing is almost every other cheap gun manufacturer has a full lifetime warranty so why buy from Heritage? I started carrying EAA's Bounty Hunter as a replacement & it seems very well built.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM
deserttrans's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 69
Likes: 6
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Default

They are OK for plinking and the price is right. Not the most accurate but fun.
__________________
FREEDOM ain't free!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,000
Likes: 405
Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
Default

1 year warranty scares me, shot one with adjustable sights and it was dead on. Good squirrel gun too. The safety is horrible though.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 412
Likes: 31
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Default

I should had added that, while I'm satisfied with the gun itself, I put zero faith in that safety. Those things can go bad, and that's a bum deal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
22lr, 317, 617, eaa, heritage, rimfire, ruger, winchester

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Firearms & Knives - Other Brands Thread, What Do You Folks Think About Heritage Rough Rider Single Six Revolvers? in General Topics; I just went for a brand new but with factory blemish Heritage Rough Rider 22LR/22MAG revolver for $150.00 with free ...
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heritage series revolvers....Show or GO? MAG-NUM S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 15 08-06-2012 12:55 AM
S&W single action revolvers!! bigshep85 Smith & Wesson - The Wish List 7 12-04-2011 11:19 AM
my rough rider 22 cal deduke1907 The Lounge 6 05-23-2011 10:19 PM
Single Action revolvers Aussiecollector Smith & Wesson - The Wish List 18 04-08-2009 05:48 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)