Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > General Topics > Firearms & Knives - Other Brands
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western WA
Posts: 938
Likes: 3
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Now that the new mini 14 has been out for some time I'd be curious to know if the consensus is that the accuracy issues were actually addressed with this new model?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western WA
Posts: 938
Likes: 3
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Now that the new mini 14 has been out for some time I'd be curious to know if the consensus is that the accuracy issues were actually addressed with this new model?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-28-2009, 04:34 PM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,689
Likes: 4
Liked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Default

I haven't heard of any improvements.
I fixed the 2 I had. They're gone.
Too bad, I sorta liked them.
__________________
Lynnie, Professional Pest
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-28-2009, 04:42 PM
shooboy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,569
Likes: 6
Liked 150 Times in 62 Posts
Default

I spoke with my gunstore owner/gunsmith and he said the newer ones were improved. I was considering a trade on one for my Model 39 no dash and had some questions on the Mini-14. He said still not super accurate but fine for 100 yards or so. That's all I know, Shoo
__________________
"Get Hammered By a Shooboy!!"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2009, 05:28 PM
CAJUNLAWYER's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: On da Bayou Teche
Posts: 9,886
Likes: 1,768
Liked 9,338 Times in 2,397 Posts
Default

It's a hundred yard gun. and with a Williams peep sight offhand I can do 5" groups all day long. That's what I bought it for. I've always viewed the Mini 14 as a stepped up 30 cal carbine-much better than a handgun ,223 is cheaper than 30 cal carbine and easier to get (and more powerful to boot), but never meant for serious long distance work.
__________________
Forum consigliere
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Absent Comrade
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ashland, Oregon
Posts: 1,205
Likes: 34
Liked 418 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Wish the Mini I owned shot half as well as my M1 Carbine.

I as well echo the "too bad, I sorta liked the gun."

Emory
__________________
Hard To Kill
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: S.E.PA.
Posts: 1,905
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I sold my Mini 14 too.
I have .22 rifles better.
And 30 carbine is a bit cheaper than .223.
__________________
Need 1/2 moon Chiefs special
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,211
Likes: 18
Liked 344 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Not entirely, but they are better. If you can get one of the new "tactical ones" or recent GBs, those are better yet. The 580 series circa 2006 that I have is said to have been improved upon still further.

There's also a funky looking one with a muzzle device that can "dialed in" that is said to do 1 MOA.

Ruger does now sell 20 AND 30 rd factory mags to the public, BTW.

Improvements to the 580 series are a heavier barrel, repositioned front site, and a nicely fitted rubber recoil pad. Plus there's no longer a ranch or non ranch, they're all coming with provision for a scope and better rear sights.

You can put an Amega rail on, add a flash hider, or bed your gun, or else cut the barrel down to 11.5 or 12" and add a perm. attached flash hider to bring it back up past non SBR length to try to improve accuracy.

I've had four Mini 14s, still have one, my 580 series.

Of course I've have six ARs, and still have five with possibly two more on the way. Read into that what you fill.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-28-2009, 10:19 PM
29aholic's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hermitage, MO
Posts: 4,901
Likes: 566
Liked 361 Times in 175 Posts
Default

If you look around you can still find the 181- series guns which were the 1st two years of production. Those guns will actually shoot very well. Ruger screwed them up in subsequent series and the shoot patterns instead of groups
__________________
Curtis M Brier
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-28-2009, 10:29 PM
BobsSmith's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 252
Likes: 14
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Not sure about the new model. I had one about 15 years ago. I was able to get about a 10" group at 100 yards with iron sights. My buddy had one too. His was scoped, didn't do much better then mine. We both got rid if em!

How Ruger could put out such **** is beyond me. I will take my 30 M1 Carbine or my SKS any day.

Best

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-29-2009, 05:31 AM
CAJUNLAWYER's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: On da Bayou Teche
Posts: 9,886
Likes: 1,768
Liked 9,338 Times in 2,397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by GatorFarmer:
Not entirely, but they are better. If you can get one of the new "tactical ones" or recent GBs, those are better yet. The 580 series circa 2006 that I have is said to have been improved upon still further.

There's also a funky looking one with a muzzle device that can "dialed in" that is said to do 1 MOA.

Ruger does now sell 20 AND 30 rd factory mags to the public, BTW.

Improvements to the 580 series are a heavier barrel, repositioned front site, and a nicely fitted rubber recoil pad. Plus there's no longer a ranch or non ranch, they're all coming with provision for a scope and better rear sights.

You can put an Amega rail on, add a flash hider, or bed your gun, or else cut the barrel down to 11.5 or 12" and add a perm. attached flash hider to bring it back up past non SBR length to try to improve accuracy.

I've had four Mini 14s, still have one, my 580 series.

Of course I've have six ARs, and still have five with possibly two more on the way. Read into that what you fill.
Gator where do you find the 30 round ones-I just checked their web site and didn't see them.
__________________
Forum consigliere
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 AM
n4zov's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: S.E. USA
Posts: 1,951
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I wish everybody who owns a Mini 14 or 30 would take a few minutes to do some reading on:

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

The older Minis were not exactly tack drivers, but their accuracy can be greatly improved with some very simple mods. Simply adding a flash suppressor or recoil reducer costing about $20 can do wonders for the accuracy. My scoped Mini 30 would shoot 5 inch 100 yard groups until I added a slip on flash hider. It now shoots into 1-1/2" easily. I know it sounds too good to be true, but it works!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lafayette, Tennessee
Posts: 3,233
Likes: 1,851
Liked 1,446 Times in 597 Posts
Default

The only mini 14 I ever fired belonged to a friend. I don't know what he'd done to it, but it appeared to be factory original. It is an older model. I could shoot 3/4" groups with it at one hundred yards. I was pretty impressed with it's accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Absent Comrade
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ashland, Oregon
Posts: 1,205
Likes: 34
Liked 418 Times in 212 Posts
Default

DriftingÖÖ.
I had a .223 Ruger stainless/synthetic bolt rifle I bought new that was maybe a 2 MOA gun. The groups were always so poor I never measured them with calipers. I also had a 77/22 I bought new that I ended up selling because of poor accuracy. As I mentioned above I had a Mini that shot patterns. I donít know what series it was, but I bought it in the early 90ís and it wasnít a Ranch rifle.

Iíd be hard pressed to buy another Ruger rifle other than a 10-22. I really like the way their wood and blue steel guns look and function, and know the LC6 trigger is a big improvement, but Iím scared of their lack of accuracy. I think maybe Ruger needs to spend a few more bucks on their barrels?

Emory
__________________
Hard To Kill
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-29-2009, 09:10 AM
jag312's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Jose, (Peoples Republic of)California
Posts: 1,495
Likes: 52
Liked 439 Times in 223 Posts
Default

I have had my Mini-14 for a long time. The serial number is 183-86XXX, and I have a Leupold 3X scope on it. It is sensitive to ammunition. It shoots well with my handloads, but it ain't no target rifle. One day a friend was shooting it with some Malaysian ammunition. At 100 yards, the bullets were hitting the target sideways.

By the way, Feinstein wants to include the Mini-14 and the Mini-30 as "assault weapons" to be banned.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My friend bought a 580 series rifle from Walmart right before Christmas and we had some fun shooting it over the holidays. I wasn't impressed with the accuracy (4-5" at 100 yards)but he bought it for self defense and it's perfectly suited for that.

Accuracy is all important to me, so a rifle that needs an additional $100 or more to bring it up to an acceptable level just isn't worth it, considering that the prices for the bone-stock rifle are right around $700-$750. I could buy a really accurate bolt action rifle or an AR-15, if I wanted an accurate semi-auto.

I really do like the Mini-14 and I'd buy one if the price was reasonable for what you get ($500 or so).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Absent Comrade
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ashland, Oregon
Posts: 1,205
Likes: 34
Liked 418 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Quote:
Malaysian ammunition. At 100 yards, the bullets were hitting the target sideways.
And ARís love that ammo. Itís good 5.56 193 ball.

As to the posters original question. Itís my understanding that Ruger has made some improvements to address accuracy. I believe the rear sight no longer wobbles around like itís ready to fall off? Iíd go over to the Ruger Forum and look around, or buy a Noveske or Colt.

Emory
__________________
Hard To Kill
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 1,182
Likes: 3
Liked 150 Times in 71 Posts
Default

I had a Mini-14 about 10 years ago I bought at Walmart on sale for $240. It was a pretty cool little gun but I liked my AR better so I sold it to my nephew. I always wished Ruger would make a "Midi-14", something in size between the .223 Mini-14 and the .30 cal M-14, maybe chambered for .243 Winchester. I would buy one of those in a heartbeat!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Western Arizona
Posts: 1,037
Likes: 74
Liked 420 Times in 177 Posts
Default

I got a Mini-14 Tactical model, M-14/20GBCPC, about three weeks ago. It has a synthetic stock and a flash suppressor. It is shooting 3-4" groups at 100 yards with stock iron sights. I have only shot about 50 rounds so far, so the grouping might improve more when I have a few more rounds through it. Love it so far!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lynchburg, Virginia
Posts: 340
Likes: 5
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

my mini 14 that I bought in 82 or 83 shoots great, it does have a flash hider I installed
on it, keep in mind they weren't intended to be target rifles
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Get Some, GA
Posts: 2,128
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I still have the Mini-14 I bought in 1982. It is plenty accurate for the sub-100 yard shooting I do with it. I do like the newer ones, though. Thinking about adding a second Mini to the collection.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:35 AM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,189
Likes: 2,363
Liked 1,524 Times in 728 Posts
Default

My 580 series would group into about 4" at 100 yards, slow fire.
I was pretty happy with that. Then one day I shot a full 20 rd mag over a course of 2 minutes. With a hot barrel it wouldn't even stay on the paper. I decided that was not acceptable for a SHTF gun and sold it. Now I'm thinking it was a heck of a lot better than not having anything to replace it.
__________________
Regards, Ron
USASA 1965/69
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 AM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 363
Likes: 49
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by CAJUNLAWYER:
It's a hundred yard gun. and with a Williams peep sight offhand I can do 5" groups all day long. That's what I bought it for. I've always viewed the Mini 14 as a stepped up 30 cal carbine-much better than a handgun ,223 is cheaper than 30 cal carbine and easier to get (and more powerful to boot), but never meant for serious long distance work.
Interesting accuracy test! I would guess that 99.9% of shooters cannot shoot 5" groups at 100 offhand with a 1/2 minute gun much less a "clunker" Mini-14. It would be interesting to see how well it does from the bench.

FWIW- I have an early one that has been bedded and the trigger done that shoots very well, but most "current" gunsmiths are afraid of them.

Good shooting- and 5" offhand at 100 is good shooting!
__________________
Good shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Absent Comrade
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ashland, Oregon
Posts: 1,205
Likes: 34
Liked 418 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Quote:
I got a Mini-14 Tactical model, M-14/20GBCPC, about three weeks ago. It has a synthetic stock and a flash suppressor. It is shooting 3-4" groups at 100 yards with stock iron sights. I have only shot about 50 rounds so far, so the grouping might improve more when I have a few more rounds through it. Love it so far!
Nice looking rifle!
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/...?model=5847&return=Y
Ruger indicates itís chambered in 223, not 5.56. Is that true?

Emory
__________________
Hard To Kill
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Western Arizona
Posts: 1,037
Likes: 74
Liked 420 Times in 177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Ruger indicates itís chambered in 223, not 5.56. Is that true?
The Owners Manual states that it will shoot both without a problem. More info can be found on the Ruger Forum:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/index.php
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 AM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,189
Likes: 2,363
Liked 1,524 Times in 728 Posts
Default

All previous mini's have been rated for 5.56. I wonder if they changed to a .223 chamber in the interest of accuracy?
__________________
Regards, Ron
USASA 1965/69
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,211
Likes: 18
Liked 344 Times in 146 Posts
Default

All Rugers are stamped .223. So were Colts for years - both my circa '75 SP1 and my circa 85ish SP2 are so stamped, yet Colt has always used 5.56mm chamber dimensions. The Ruger, if I remember right, is using a Wylde chamber.

The shorter barrel "NRA" edition was also turning in better accuracy according to some users, but a standard fix for Minis for years was to chop the barrels down to "stiffen" them. Beats me what works and what doesn't since reports are all over the place.

They're sort of neat little guns which is I suppose why I kept getting them and still keep one. They weren't exactly intended for fending off the PLA, Martian hordes, or a sky full of Canadian paratroopers though.

Cajun - there were several threads about the 30rd mags on Perfect Union. Long story short - some are already turning up on Gunbroker, but some are also turning up at retail establisments. A guy in AZ bought some retail from the Tempe Cabelas for 45 dollars each. At this time Ruger is only selling them to distributors, however they will be on the web page as soon as production ramps up. They are not marked LEO only and will be available to anyone.

Thermold is also back in business and making working polymer Mini 14 mags, and apparently soon will also have Mini 30 mags as well. The mag issue for Mini 14s anyway is solved.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Bullman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rural Retreat, VA USA
Posts: 160
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Mine was never that accurate and I ended up selling it, I am more of a shotgun person anyway when it comes to long guns. One thing I do prefer the mini to over the AR is the ease of care and cleaning. To me it is much easier to strip a mini down and detail clean it compared to an AR.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-30-2009, 10:28 AM
CAJUNLAWYER's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: On da Bayou Teche
Posts: 9,886
Likes: 1,768
Liked 9,338 Times in 2,397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by GatorFarmer:
All Rugers are stamped .223. So were Colts for years - both my circa '75 SP1 and my circa 85ish SP2 are so stamped, yet Colt has always used 5.56mm chamber dimensions. The Ruger, if I remember right, is using a Wylde chamber.

The shorter barrel "NRA" edition was also turning in better accuracy according to some users, but a standard fix for Minis for years was to chop the barrels down to "stiffen" them. Beats me what works and what doesn't since reports are all over the place.

They're sort of neat little guns which is I suppose why I kept getting them and still keep one. They weren't exactly intended for fending off the PLA, Martian hordes, or a sky full of Canadian paratroopers though.

Cajun - there were several threads about the 30rd mags on Perfect Union. Long story short - some are already turning up on Gunbroker, but some are also turning up at retail establisments. A guy in AZ bought some retail from the Tempe Cabelas for 45 dollars each. At this time Ruger is only selling them to distributors, however they will be on the web page as soon as production ramps up. They are not marked LEO only and will be available to anyone.

Thermold is also back in business and making working polymer Mini 14 mags, and apparently soon will also have Mini 30 mags as well. The mag issue for Mini 14s anyway is solved.
Hell, I just bought 5 20 rounders from them I'm gonna see if they will exchange them for the 30's and bill me for the difference.
__________________
Forum consigliere
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Absent Comrade
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ashland, Oregon
Posts: 1,205
Likes: 34
Liked 418 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Quote:
Hell, I just bought 5 20 rounders from them I'm gonna see if they will exchange them for the 30's and bill me for the difference.
Donít do it. Youíll make the rest of us look bad for having too much stuff. Keep the 20ís and buy more 30ís.

Emory
__________________
Hard To Kill
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

They have but it is no longer the handy little carbine that it once was.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
223, cabelas, carbine, colt, gunsmith, model 14, model 39, nra, polymer, ruger, sbr, scope, sks, suppressor, tactical, winchester

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Firearms & Knives - Other Brands Thread, Have the accuracy issues with the Ruger mini 14 been addressed with the new model? in General Topics; Now that the new mini 14 has been out for some time I'd be curious to know if the consensus ...
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accuracy issues with my new firearm Spacer Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 30 10-07-2011 04:56 PM
Accuracy issues Woodrum84 Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 2 09-04-2011 07:15 PM
Range report: Finally solved my accuracy issues bitstream Smith & Wesson SD & Sigma Pistols 0 03-29-2011 10:12 PM
Ruger Mini-14, Mini-30 palmetto99 Firearms & Knives - Other Brands 30 03-09-2010 01:07 PM
Any info that Smith has addressed 15-22 issues? ToddS112 Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 24 10-30-2009 11:43 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 PM.


© S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2013
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)