Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-16-2018, 12:45 PM
CustomChevyGuy CustomChevyGuy is offline
Member
IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment  
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 572
Likes: 956
Liked 474 Times in 251 Posts
Default IWB Leather Holster treatment

I recently picked up a IWB Leather Holster for my 1911, and want to know the best way to treat the leather. It feels very stiff and dry. When I test fitted the gun, it left light marks on the gun, and looked like it had absorbed the oil from the gun.

As a kid, I remember we used to rub our baseball gloves with oil, but I cant remember if it was baby oil or mineral oil. (man, maybe I AM getting old. LOL)

I've got a IWB leather holster for my daily carry, which is so much softer and pliable. I realize they could be different types and qualities of leather. Just looking for suggestions on the best way to approach this lil project.
__________________
John 14:6, Luke 21:11
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-16-2018, 04:21 PM
EMP3 EMP3 is offline
Member
IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment  
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 41
Likes: 26
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Lexol leather conditioner. You can buy it at Amazon or Walmart.

Might be a stupid question: are you sure the holster is correct for your gun?

BTW, shaving cream with lanolin works on baseball gloves and other leather. Or you could buy lanolin leather conditioner.

Shaving cream with lanolin will clean leather jackets & other leather garments.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-16-2018, 05:11 PM
MichiganScott MichiganScott is offline
Member
IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: God's Country
Posts: 4,673
Likes: 1,191
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,741 Posts
Default

You really should reconsider putting any oil or lanolin on a holster to "condition" the leather. You make them soft and ruin them. I use Ren wax or shoe polish on the outside of my holsters and nothing on the inside.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #4  
Old 09-16-2018, 06:25 PM
ContinentalOp's Avatar
ContinentalOp ContinentalOp is online now
Member
IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment  
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,484
Likes: 3,979
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,194 Posts
Default

Kiwi Neutral Paste Wax, periodically applied to the smooth leather on the outside of the holster (if you have a rough-side-out holster, just use a damp cloth to wipe it down). Make sure the inside is clean and dry. Mitch Rosen makes a product for holsters called Leather Lightning, I believe. I've never used it, so I can't say from personal experience if it's any good. I prefer to not use any kind of "treatment" on the inside of a holster.

A good holster is going to have a tight fit, but if it's so tight that you have difficulty getting the gun in and/or out, you can put some plastic wrap, a plastic bag, etc. around the gun, put in the holster, and leave it overnight. It will help "loosen" the holster but not so much that it'll lose retention.

As was said above, don't use anything that could soften the leather, assuming you're talking about a molded leather holster. Some holsters are essentially suede pockets with a clip and are already soft.

Also, holsters will cause finish wear. Even super-hard, DLC-type finishes will likely show wear at some point.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 PM
rednichols's Avatar
rednichols rednichols is offline
Member
IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,355
Likes: 1,068
Liked 3,613 Times in 1,081 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContinentalOp View Post
Kiwi Neutral Paste Wax, periodically applied to the smooth leather on the outside of the holster (if you have a rough-side-out holster, just use a damp cloth to wipe it down). Make sure the inside is clean and dry. Mitch Rosen makes a product for holsters called Leather Lightning, I believe. I've never used it, so I can't say from personal experience if it's any good. I prefer to not use any kind of "treatment" on the inside of a holster.

A good holster is going to have a tight fit, but if it's so tight that you have difficulty getting the gun in and/or out, you can put some plastic wrap, a plastic bag, etc. around the gun, put in the holster, and leave it overnight. It will help "loosen" the holster but not so much that it'll lose retention.

As was said above, don't use anything that could soften the leather, assuming you're talking about a molded leather holster. Some holsters are essentially suede pockets with a clip and are already soft.

Also, holsters will cause finish wear. Even super-hard, DLC-type finishes will likely show wear at some point.
That reply started out so well, with the neutral wax notion. Specially treating an IWB to waterproof it from sweat is not something I ever considered!

The plastic bag thing, though, to improve fit is an urban myth; likely started when folks were wetting their holsters but didn't want their real pistols to get wet and rusty when leaving it in the holster to dry overnite (or whatever). In ye olden days folks were told to grease the pistol.

The bag itself does absolutely nothing to improve the fit of the pistol to the holster; so as long as your holster is dry you won't need a bag. Oiling an IWB would seem to be a bad idea for you clothing :-). Neutral wax won't harm either the holster or the clothes.
__________________
Red Nichols
Holstorian (tm).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM
jack the toad jack the toad is online now
SWCA Member
IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment  
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,755
Likes: 1,028
Liked 2,454 Times in 1,274 Posts
Default

This stuff works good for me.
Can find at leather shops and amazon.
American Made Leather Care
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
MichiganScott MichiganScott is offline
Member
IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment IWB Leather Holster treatment  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: God's Country
Posts: 4,673
Likes: 1,191
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,741 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
That reply started out so well, with the neutral wax notion. Specially treating an IWB to waterproof it from sweat is not something I ever considered!

The plastic bag thing, though, to improve fit is an urban myth; likely started when folks were wetting their holsters but didn't want their real pistols to get wet and rusty when leaving it in the holster to dry overnite (or whatever). In ye olden days folks were told to grease the pistol.

The bag itself does absolutely nothing to improve the fit of the pistol to the holster; so as long as your holster is dry you won't need a bag. Oiling an IWB would seem to be a bad idea for you clothing :-). Neutral wax won't harm either the holster or the clothes.
It's been my experience that the purpose of the bag is to make it easier to force the gun all the way into the holster.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
El Biblioitecario's Avatar
El Biblioitecario El Biblioitecario is offline
Member
IWB Leather Holster treatment  
Join Date: May 2003
Location: AZ
Posts: 354
Likes: 137
Liked 287 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganScott View Post
It's been my experience that the purpose of the bag is to make it easier to force the gun all the way into the holster.
All of my life I have heard the plastic bag was only to protect a pistol when put into a wet holster to form fit the latter when making a new holster.

My lifelong experience has been that if I paid for a quality holster cut and fitted to a specific weapon, that all these breaking in rituals were unnecessary, and that none of them would turn a cheap pig's ear holster into a silk purse.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Day at Blackrock ( leather treatment) bracebeemer Gun Leather & Carry Gear 0 05-01-2018 08:05 PM
**SOLD** FS ~ REDUCED ~ Vintage S&W Leather Co. FBI Style NOS Leather Holster 1moondog Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 4 02-18-2018 04:34 PM
Lobo, Don Hume and A-Holster J Frame holsters + leather pocket holster for Kel-Tec P3 chp Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 4 09-06-2016 12:15 PM
Leather treatment Mblhopo Gun Leather & Carry Gear 6 12-19-2015 10:22 AM
Holster treatment ? digi-shots S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 21 10-04-2007 03:34 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2018
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)