Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-08-2018, 09:06 AM
NewToGuns17 NewToGuns17 is online now
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 491
Likes: 25
Liked 251 Times in 114 Posts
Default Help with holster clips

Hey guys. I own 3 guns but really only carry two so I'm looking for some advice.

This mainly applies to the second gun pictured, my m&p 2.0 9mm w/ inforce apl-c on it. When I carry it it has a tendency to move around a lot. No matter how tight my belt is. What's happening is the clip has some play to it up and down which makes it move back and forth. Being a weighty gun doesn't help. I wear a double thick nylon gun belt with a cobra buckle. That comes loose somewhat but not to the extent that it should make my holster sloppy. What can I buy to put on this holster that would keep it still? I like the ease of removal with the belt clip which is why I use them so that's a must. I've tried snap loops and didn't much care for them. I also carry at a cant. I would like to add the same solution to my tulster holster. That clip is rigid enough but I like keeping my holsters and whatnot consistent. Thanks in advance! My belt is 1.5" if that makes a difference
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-08-2018, 09:23 AM
Rpg Rpg is online now
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver area
Posts: 3,697
Likes: 8,882
Liked 6,430 Times in 2,188 Posts
Default

Iím afraid your problem isnít fixable with your current belt and holster.

A good quality leather gunbelt designed to fit a good quality leather holster is the most efficient fix. Belt and holster built by the same manufacturer are the way to go.

Plastic holsters with nylon belts are inherently slippery.

You need a good friction fit between belt and holster: something your current rig isnít properly designed to provide.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2018, 09:32 AM
NewToGuns17 NewToGuns17 is online now
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 491
Likes: 25
Liked 251 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpg View Post
Iím afraid your problem isnít fixable with your current belt and holster.

A good quality leather gunbelt designed to fit a good quality leather holster is the most efficient fix. Belt and holster built by the same manufacturer are the way to go.

Plastic holsters with nylon belts are inherently slippery.

You need a good friction fit between belt and holster: something your current rig isnít properly designed to provide.
I also have a leather belt but don't enjoy it as much due to limited hole availability between gun sizes as well as not being as stiff. What you say does make sense.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Rpg Rpg is online now
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver area
Posts: 3,697
Likes: 8,882
Liked 6,430 Times in 2,188 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToGuns17 View Post
I also have a leather belt but don't enjoy it as much due to limited hole availability between gun sizes as well as not being as stiff. What you say does make sense.
I canít imagine a GOOD leather gunbelt that isnít as stiff as a nylon belt.

Iím afraid youíre going to have to spend some money on new gear, most likely a good deal more money than your current rig cost.

The feature you like about your rig, the easy on-off clip, is oversized to make it easy on off. You canít have it both ways.

Hopefully one of the forum members with significant holster-belt design expertise (RedNichols, Lobo, Snubby come to mind) will be along to help out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Motorsporting Motorsporting is offline
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 484
Likes: 113
Liked 185 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Getting a holster and belt made from the same manufacturer is often helpful. Try something from Comp-Tac, Crossbreed, or FOXX since you seem to prefer Kydex. The clips you pictured, which you said you like, are made by tons of different companies. You could shop around for a tighter fitting clip. You could also add some tacky (grip tape) material to various points on the clip or holster to try and minimize movement.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2018, 11:48 AM
F75gunslinger's Avatar
F75gunslinger F75gunslinger is offline
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: South of Rochester , NY
Posts: 1,038
Likes: 65
Liked 1,067 Times in 455 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToGuns17 View Post
I also have a leather belt but don't enjoy it as much due to limited hole availability between gun sizes as well as not being as stiff. What you say does make sense.
There is a big difference between a regular leather belt and a leather GUN BELT.

I have a belt from TheBeltMan.net. He offers a wide range of materials ( different leathers ) , a choice of buckle shapes and colors and a few custom touches. I'm pretty sure that I'd have to put the belt in a vise to get it to fold over at all. It's that stiff. One of his will run you +/- $100. I've had mine for 8 years, and it is just as stiff as the day I got it.No complaints at all from it. NOTE : Make sure if you decide to order a custom gunbelt you look at their sizing guide.

I have also had good luck with Alessi holsters. The clip they use is perfect for a 1 1/2 inch belt, and the clip is guaranteed for life.I put it on and make sure it's clipped to the belt, and it takes quite a bit of force to move it front/back. The Watch six I have for my 1911 has 2 clips, and is even more secure. The Talon and Watch six are both canted designs, so that would fit your preference. Not cheap ( again ) at $89 for the Talon or $130 for the Watch six,but you'll get close to that buying 3 or 4 other holsters that you don't like or aren't happy with for some reason.

Keep in mind that both of these are places where you order and would have to wait. The belt man offers "quick ship " options but they would have to be pretty standard. Alessi says 14-16 weeks wait time since they make each holster as they get orders and are a small shop.

You may try ebay for the holster, there are a couple on there in the Talon design for the M+P.

It looks to me like the holsters you have, being Kydex,would be very slippery. And the belt clips they use look to be designed more to keep the holster at the belt line and less about keeping it from moving front/back.

Hope that helps....
__________________
1st smiles,lies.Last,gunfire.

Last edited by F75gunslinger; 10-08-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #7  
Old 10-08-2018, 01:22 PM
NewToGuns17 NewToGuns17 is online now
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 491
Likes: 25
Liked 251 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F75gunslinger View Post
There is a big difference between a regular leather belt and a leather GUN BELT.

I have a belt from TheBeltMan.net. He offers a wide range of materials ( different leathers ) , a choice of buckle shapes and colors and a few custom touches. I'm pretty sure that I'd have to put the belt in a vise to get it to fold over at all. It's that stiff. One of his will run you +/- $100. I've had mine for 8 years, and it is just as stiff as the day I got it.No complaints at all from it. NOTE : Make sure if you decide to order a custom gunbelt you look at their sizing guide.

I have also had good luck with Alessi holsters. The clip they use is perfect for a 1 1/2 inch belt, and the clip is guaranteed for life.I put it on and make sure it's clipped to the belt, and it takes quite a bit of force to move it front/back. The Watch six I have for my 1911 has 2 clips, and is even more secure. The Talon and Watch six are both canted designs, so that would fit your preference. Not cheap ( again ) at $89 for the Talon or $130 for the Watch six,but you'll get close to that buying 3 or 4 other holsters that you don't like or aren't happy with for some reason.

Keep in mind that both of these are places where you order and would have to wait. The belt man offers "quick ship " options but they would have to be pretty standard. Alessi says 14-16 weeks wait time since they make each holster as they get orders and are a small shop.

You may try ebay for the holster, there are a couple on there in the Talon design for the M+P.

It looks to me like the holsters you have, being Kydex,would be very slippery. And the belt clips they use look to be designed more to keep the holster at the belt line and less about keeping it from moving front/back.

Hope that helps....
It's a gun belt made by a holster manufacturer, I just don't remember who lol
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2018, 03:24 PM
rednichols's Avatar
rednichols rednichols is offline
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,411
Likes: 1,108
Liked 3,734 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default

What you have already, looks really good. Perhaps it's the width of the belt, rather than thickness or stiffness, that's causing the 'slop'? Anyway, no one knows what a 'good' gunbelt is, and when they try to define it one gets thick, and expensive. A well-designed holster needs neither, I test mine on a KMart belt and any new design has to pass this test in my shop.

Your clips look well-thought-out.
__________________
Red Nichols
Holstorian (tm).
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #9  
Old 10-08-2018, 04:58 PM
kthom kthom is offline
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,931
Likes: 3,087
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,157 Posts
Default

My gun belts are all made with the buckle tongue holes punched at 3/4" apart as opposed to the maybe standard one inch apart. This closer spacing allows for better adjustment up or down (or actually around) than the wider spacing for me. I've got a belt with the one inch spacing that I no longer wear because of this difference.
__________________
So long ... Ken
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-08-2018, 07:34 PM
HardToHandle HardToHandle is offline
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Likes: 171
Liked 44 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Some of the advice above I would second, some I would not.
Kydex often is tricky with nylon belts, for obvious reasons. Personally, I use leather belts but there all kinds of reasons why nylon may be necessary or just desirable.

As each person is shaped differently, a bit of customization of holsters pays off. It is amazing how much specialized implements exist for kydex holsters. The modern approach is modularity of holster components. Specific to your needs, the Wedges and an overbelt hook on a strut might be very helpful to adding comfort and steadiness. Your cant may also be leveraging the center of gravity about the belt, which is hardest to fix.

I recommend DIY holsters -http://www.shopdiyholster.com/inside-the-waistband/ - as a great source of experimentation. For me a Glock 26 carries very differently from a SIG P225... customize to the person and the firearm.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 PM
eb07 eb07 is offline
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,661
Likes: 2,030
Liked 3,990 Times in 1,024 Posts
Default

Buy some proper hardware. A smaller clip:

http://www.shopdiyholster.com/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-08-2018, 07:54 PM
NewToGuns17 NewToGuns17 is online now
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 491
Likes: 25
Liked 251 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
Buy some proper hardware. A smaller clip:

http://www.shopdiyholster.com/
They're 1.5" clips .
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-08-2018, 09:14 PM
NewToGuns17 NewToGuns17 is online now
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 491
Likes: 25
Liked 251 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
What you have already, looks really good. Perhaps it's the width of the belt, rather than thickness or stiffness, that's causing the 'slop'? Anyway, no one knows what a 'good' gunbelt is, and when they try to define it one gets thick, and expensive. A well-designed holster needs neither, I test mine on a KMart belt and any new design has to pass this test in my shop.

Your clips look well-thought-out.
Thank you. The tulster one is one I measure all the others by. The holster for my full size is made by Cleveland kydex co. They did an ok job. All the important parts were molded in, I had to finesse the upper half to get it to where I wanted and get the slots for the clip the way I wanted to be able to get it to move where I needed. I also had to mold the clip to the holster as only a little of the clip contacted the holster and caused much more slop. My gun belt is made by klikbelts. I haven't found that "perfect" belt yet but this one is pretty close. If it had a second way to prevent the tag end from loosening it would be perfect. Anyways, I feel like the holster needs two means of attachment, something spread out. To even the load. I was thinking j hooks but have no experience with them
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-08-2018, 09:15 PM
NewToGuns17 NewToGuns17 is online now
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 491
Likes: 25
Liked 251 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthom View Post
My gun belts are all made with the buckle tongue holes punched at 3/4" apart as opposed to the maybe standard one inch apart. This closer spacing allows for better adjustment up or down (or actually around) than the wider spacing for me. I've got a belt with the one inch spacing that I no longer wear because of this difference.
My experience exactly. I put extra holes in but sometimes you need that extra hole right in the middle lol
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #15  
Old 10-08-2018, 09:17 PM
NewToGuns17 NewToGuns17 is online now
Member
Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips Help with holster clips  
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 491
Likes: 25
Liked 251 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
Some of the advice above I would second, some I would not.
Kydex often is tricky with nylon belts, for obvious reasons. Personally, I use leather belts but there all kinds of reasons why nylon may be necessary or just desirable.

As each person is shaped differently, a bit of customization of holsters pays off. It is amazing how much specialized implements exist for kydex holsters. The modern approach is modularity of holster components. Specific to your needs, the Wedges and an overbelt hook on a strut might be very helpful to adding comfort and steadiness. Your cant may also be leveraging the center of gravity about the belt, which is hardest to fix.

I recommend DIY holsters -http://www.shopdiyholster.com/inside-the-waistband/ - as a great source of experimentation. For me a Glock 26 carries very differently from a SIG P225... customize to the person and the firearm.
Thanks for your thoughts and everyone else's, I will browse the site. Any other ideas please throw them in!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got my holster, need help with clips cmbconcretefire Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 4 10-10-2016 08:47 AM
Sw 627 moon clips holster glambert76 Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 3 07-01-2014 10:20 PM
NO LONGER AVAILABLE Holster - Trade for Clips Georgepat1 Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 2 10-22-2009 12:51 PM
Summer Special style holster with clips aterry33 Concealed Carry & Self Defense 4 08-09-2009 07:41 PM
327 TRR8, moon clips, ICORE holster tobar8 S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 25 08-29-2008 09:44 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2018
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)