Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

Gun Leather & Carry Gear All Holster and Gun Leather Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2020, 05:42 PM
hyena hyena is offline
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 222
Likes: 151
Liked 302 Times in 133 Posts
Default Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?

My preferred carry is a 642 in a Desantis thumb break scabbard, carried around 2 o'clock. That only works in colder weather, when my normal attire is a sweatshirt. I've got a friend who wears the Desantis OWB year round by wearing shirts that are way too big for him, but I'm not willing to wear tee shirts or polo shirts in warm weather so baggy they hide an OWB gun.

Last summer, when not pocket carrying my BG380, I often carried the 642 AIWB in a Galco Stow N Go suede holster. I really don't like IWB, but I got used to it. I buy jeans that are a couple inches larger than I really need, so there's room for IWB.

In another thread on this forum, I became aware of the Lobo Offset belt clip holster. The design really caught my attention. It seems like it would be a good idea not to have the clip right on top of the cylinder, as on my Galco.

Feedback from anybody who has made the switch from a "conventional" AIWB holster, with the clip over the cylinder, to the Lobo offset, is appreciated. Especially if you carry a J frame. I read enough reviews and threads on here you don't need to convince me of the Lobo quality. I just wonder if there's enough difference in comfort to justify spending the $$$. Don't need another unused holster taking up space in the cabinet.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2020, 09:20 PM
HardToHandle HardToHandle is offline
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 212
Likes: 1,474
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Default

So, I tried...
I have Appendix/2:00 IWB for decades, usually with a traditional J Frame IWB clip-type holster but also a Don Hume SOOT with leather loops. I tried the offset clip version from another maker that looked nearly the same as the Lobo. The offset did not work for me.

I was surprised, as I assumed it would reduce bulk/diameter. Instead, the balance was off, tipping to left, which forced even an Airweight into my more sensitive bits. Once the tipping started, the lower “right” side then jabbed me in leg a bit above the hip/groin crease. Different belts and occasional adjustments did not help. A different body type might respond differently, but I would take an Uncle Mikes foamy holster over the high quality leather of an offset clip.

That said, offset clip did seem to work on a behind the hip IWB. That is a no-go for me for various reasons, including lack of security, riding in cars, sitting in chairs, limited shoulder movement and generally poor concealment. YMMV on the body shape and all, but that is the offset clip finally felt steady and secure.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #3  
Old 03-12-2020, 09:57 PM
LCC LCC is offline
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 272
Likes: 318
Liked 630 Times in 174 Posts
Default

Carried a AWIB 642 in Lobo offset clip holster for EDC until just recently, when worsening hand athritis required going to a milder recoiling handgun for EDC.
The Lobo is extremely comfortable, and the offset clip definitely flattens the holster profile.
The holster was worth both the $85 cost delivered, and the two month wait.
Both my 642 and Lobo holster are now riding with a new owner, who is very happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?-img_20200227_104715150-jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #4  
Old 03-12-2020, 10:04 PM
jimmyj's Avatar
jimmyj jimmyj is offline
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DUNNELLON, FLORIDA USA
Posts: 9,663
Likes: 1,398
Liked 11,706 Times in 3,283 Posts
Default

I have tried IWB holsters on and off for years. None works for me. I think the reason is I have a short waist and sitting my thigh pushes the holstered weapon up and out of my waist.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #5  
Old 03-12-2020, 10:45 PM
Jimmyjones's Avatar
Jimmyjones Jimmyjones is offline
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boulder,CO
Posts: 1,126
Likes: 4,268
Liked 2,041 Times in 613 Posts
Default

I've been wearing a Lobo offset with my J-Frames for a couple of years, I love em!
Right now I have a 640-1 tucked in my belt in a Lobo offset. My other favorite is a 60 no-dash which I rotate depending on dress. I carried Airweights, you forget your carrying them that way, but I wasn't getting enough range time and my confidence was waning. I can shot an all steel J-Frame all day

Holsters with the clip over the cylinder never worked for me, I'm small framed and AIWB is the most comfortable, accessible. A good belt is mandatory, I wear a 1.5" and as stated above it will tend to droop away from the clip, never found it to be a problem though. A 2" is more stable but doesn't work with some of my gear.
__________________
SWCA #2817

Last edited by Jimmyjones; 03-12-2020 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #6  
Old 03-13-2020, 10:51 AM
dirty & hairy's Avatar
dirty & hairy dirty & hairy is online now
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 232
Likes: 1,136
Liked 533 Times in 159 Posts
Default

I'm a huge fan of Lobo Gun Leather and hear great things about the offset. However, my AIWB holster is from Ritchie. It too is offset, but in the opposite direction. This puts the clip right next to the belt buckle where it is stable. The gun also rides real low. Just an option to consider.

Ritchie Appendix
Attached Thumbnails
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?-ra-jpg  

Last edited by dirty & hairy; 03-13-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added photo
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #7  
Old 03-13-2020, 05:34 PM
eb07 eb07 is offline
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 2,321
Liked 4,754 Times in 1,214 Posts
Default

So I'm going to give you my opinion as someone who carried in a galco stow and go for years.



If you go with the lobo offset you are not going to be happy because it rides higher than the galco .And the way it sits appendix is just not comfortable. ...at least I was not


I tested a friends out for a week and was unhappy so I contacted lobo and ask them to make me a lower riding one and they said they could not and gave me a lecture on grip and other things on why they wouldn't do it.



I'm not saying they make bad holsters they make great holsters but they're just not a custom holster maker and would not accommodate me for a lower riding holster.



So then I approached Eric at side guard holster told him I wanted holsters that rode low like the galco stow and go and he accommodated me for my j-frame.



I was so happy I asked for one for my charter bulldog and one for my kframe


I suggest you take a look at him and tell him you want it to ride as low as a galco stow and go and I believe you will be completely happy.




He is a quality custom holster maker and he will make it low ride to match the galco stow and go ride height.



Just my personal experience.



I plan on ordering a few more in the future as he has gained my business for as long as he is in business

Last edited by eb07; 03-13-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #8  
Old 03-14-2020, 10:57 AM
hyena hyena is offline
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 222
Likes: 151
Liked 302 Times in 133 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
If you go with the lobo offset you are not going to be happy because it rides higher than the galco .And the way it sits appendix is just not comfortable. ...at least I was not
So then I approached Eric at side guard holster told him I wanted holsters that rode low like the galco stow and go and he accommodated me for my j-frame.

s
Sincere thanks to all who responded, and provided much useful information. I read and re-read each response.

eb07 - Your response was the most valuable of all, because I had not thought much about ride height. Comparing apples to oranges, I checked what I have now. My Desantis OWB holster rides very high. I had a leather maker remove the "lower" belt loop, because I preferred it riding high. When holstered, about half the gun's cylinder is above the top of my belt. Great for easy access, but needs a sweatshirt to conceal. In contrast, when holstered in my Stow N Go, about half the cylinder is below the bottom edge of the belt. Just as your photos show with your Sideguard. I've not had a problem grasping the grip to draw the gun.

Here's a photo of my 642 in the Galco, that shows one concern I have. The Galco rides so low part of the rear lower edge of the holster has been curled up by pressing against my thigh when I sit. The suede is soft enough that hasn't presented a problem, but I'm afraid it would with traditional cowhide due to stiffness. So whether I go with Lobo, or Sideguard, I'd likely go with the standard clip position, which appears to split the difference between my Desantis and Galco by putting the cylinder right in line (height wise) with the belt. While I like the deep concealment of the Galco, I'm afraid with my body type and type of jeans having a traditional cowhide holster ride that low might dig into my thigh when I sit.

If it's relevant, I am 6'2", 195 pounds, and wear a 1.5 inch Hanks gun belt. I think (hope) the gun will be snug enough inside the waist band that the weight of the gun trying to tilt against the clip won't be a problem. That's another thing I had not considered until reading the above responses.

I might just keep using the Galco. It's outstanding for concealment.
Attached Thumbnails
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?-galco-jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #9  
Old 03-14-2020, 08:11 PM
eb07 eb07 is offline
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 2,321
Liked 4,754 Times in 1,214 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
Sincere thanks to all who responded, and provided much useful information. I read and re-read each response.

eb07 - Your response was the most valuable of all, because I had not thought much about ride height. Comparing apples to oranges, I checked what I have now. My Desantis OWB holster rides very high. I had a leather maker remove the "lower" belt loop, because I preferred it riding high. When holstered, about half the gun's cylinder is above the top of my belt. Great for easy access, but needs a sweatshirt to conceal. In contrast, when holstered in my Stow N Go, about half the cylinder is below the bottom edge of the belt. Just as your photos show with your Sideguard. I've not had a problem grasping the grip to draw the gun.

Here's a photo of my 642 in the Galco, that shows one concern I have. The Galco rides so low part of the rear lower edge of the holster has been curled up by pressing against my thigh when I sit. The suede is soft enough that hasn't presented a problem, but I'm afraid it would with traditional cowhide due to stiffness. So whether I go with Lobo, or Sideguard, I'd likely go with the standard clip position, which appears to split the difference between my Desantis and Galco by putting the cylinder right in line (height wise) with the belt. While I like the deep concealment of the Galco, I'm afraid with my body type and type of jeans having a traditional cowhide holster ride that low might dig into my thigh when I sit.

If it's relevant, I am 6'2", 195 pounds, and wear a 1.5 inch Hanks gun belt. I think (hope) the gun will be snug enough inside the waist band that the weight of the gun trying to tilt against the clip won't be a problem. That's another thing I had not considered until reading the above responses.

I might just keep using the Galco. It's outstanding for concealment.



Well they are certainly cheap enough to replace every 3-5 years. I just wanted better leather with the same ride height.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-15-2020, 06:13 AM
crazyphil crazyphil is offline
US Veteran
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 5,502
Likes: 18,442
Liked 18,029 Times in 4,007 Posts
Default

There are other IWBs with the offset clip. Here, for example, is a
Wild Bill "Tuckable". I sold it a while back, but it was a good one.
Attached Thumbnails
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?-sam_0154-jpg  
__________________
In Omnia Paratus
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #11  
Old 03-15-2020, 08:14 AM
white cloud white cloud is offline
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Way Down South
Posts: 926
Likes: 1,801
Liked 1,134 Times in 483 Posts
Default

I have carried a J frame in both a Stow and Go and the Lobo Offset Belt Clip holsters. I routinely use the Lobo. I threw the Stow and Go away. I like the Lobo so much that I have them in horse hide for a J frame, SP101 and a 2.5" GP 100. Yes you read that right. The GP100 is my cool weather carry. I am pretty trim for almost 67 so these holsters work well for me and are very comfortable.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #12  
Old 03-17-2020, 07:43 PM
hyena hyena is offline
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 222
Likes: 151
Liked 302 Times in 133 Posts
Default

I decided to try a Desantis Flex Tuk. It has an offset clip adjustable for cant and height. Less than $50 on Amazon, and if I don't like it, free shipping to return it. I really like my Desantis thumb break scabbard, and figured I couldn't go wrong. If I don't like the feel, I can send it back.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-01-2020, 03:50 PM
dirty & hairy's Avatar
dirty & hairy dirty & hairy is online now
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 232
Likes: 1,136
Liked 533 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
So I'm going to give you my opinion as someone who carried in a galco stow and go for years.


If you go with the lobo offset you are not going to be happy because it rides higher than the galco .And the way it sits appendix is just not comfortable. ...at least I was not

I tested a friends out for a week and was unhappy so I contacted lobo and ask them to make me a lower riding one and they said they could not and gave me a lecture on grip and other things on why they wouldn't do it.

I'm not saying they make bad holsters they make great holsters but they're just not a custom holster maker and would not accommodate me for a lower riding holster.

So then I approached Eric at side guard holster told him I wanted holsters that rode low like the galco stow and go and he accommodated me for my j-frame.

I was so happy I asked for one for my charter bulldog and one for my kframe

I suggest you take a look at him and tell him you want it to ride as low as a galco stow and go and I believe you will be completely happy.


He is a quality custom holster maker and he will make it low ride to match the galco stow and go ride height.

Just my personal experience.

I plan on ordering a few more in the future as he has gained my business for as long as he is in business
This post inspired me to get one. When ordering I mentioned that I was looking for a deep riding holster, and that is just what I received. Very well made, could not be happier. Thanks for the info.

Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #14  
Old 07-01-2020, 05:36 PM
mikerjf mikerjf is online now
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 469
Likes: 241
Liked 618 Times in 251 Posts
Default

I typically AIWB in a SoftArmor #3. This is a “sticky” type holster, so there is no clip. Cant and ride height are wherever I put it. And if I want to switch to crossdraw or pocket, works there too. And inexpensive.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-01-2020, 07:20 PM
saemetric's Avatar
saemetric saemetric is online now
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Deming and Columbus, NM
Posts: 1,312
Likes: 779
Liked 2,583 Times in 592 Posts
Default

This is a HBE iwb that sits nice and low. It’s his New York Pro Deep Undercover Model, with a sharkskin trim. Special order only.




Last edited by saemetric; 07-01-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #16  
Old 07-01-2020, 07:24 PM
hyena hyena is offline
Member
Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame? Galco Stow N Go to Lobo Offset for J frame?  
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 222
Likes: 151
Liked 302 Times in 133 Posts
Default

I tried the Desantis flex tuck via Amazon and returned it. 8 weeks ago I ordered the Lobo offset. Wait time was said to be 7-9 weeks. I checked with Lobo Monday and they said should be done pretty soon. Meanwhile I'm using the Stow N Go.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Lobo Offset IWB J frame fly4fish Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 1 01-13-2019 12:16 AM
(SPF) Lobo Offset Clip IWB for J-Frame (1-7/8") - Right bobandmikako Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 2 12-17-2017 01:13 PM
Lobo J Frame Offset IWB Holster Right Hand Awakened999 WANTED to Buy 0 11-12-2016 06:27 PM
Lobo Offset Belt Clip for 3" K Frame birdshooter Gun Leather & Carry Gear 1 11-22-2015 02:54 PM
SOLD: Lobo Gunleather Offset Clip IWB, J-Frame, RH bobandmikako Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 1 10-19-2015 06:28 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)