Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

The Lounge A Catch-All Area for non-gun topics that don’t fit elsewhere. Keep it Family Friendly. See The Rules for Banned Topics!
Put gun topics in the gun forums.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-25-2014, 03:47 PM
the ringo kid the ringo kid is offline
Banned
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20,903
Likes: 85,203
Liked 22,812 Times in 10,546 Posts
Exclamation Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.

Ive never cooked Turkey before--and bought a turkey breast yesterday--no cooking instructions. This breast weighs about 3 & 1/2 pounds--is boneless.

Ive cooked raw chicken breasts many times so figure that cooking the Turkey--will be similar. Well,I did a little looking and I got cooking temps between 350 to 450 from between 2-3 hours.

Im confused and dont know which to try??? Also, do you have to add a bit of water to the pan when cooking such a large piece of meat? Im using some fantastic dry rub on it.

Anyway,will you all please straighten it out for me and please let me know what oven temp to cook this at and how long? and wether I need to add water to the pan?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards and HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

BTW--im doing this for a Vietnam vet/friend of mine who is coming over who also has no family to go to.

Last edited by the ringo kid; 11-25-2014 at 03:48 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #2  
Old 11-25-2014, 04:02 PM
ringo1597 ringo1597 is offline
SWCA Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oak Hill, TX.
Posts: 293
Likes: 2,106
Liked 1,046 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Carl,

If you still have my number give me a call.

I'll also PM it to you.

Larry R.
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #3  
Old 11-25-2014, 04:03 PM
CGhelofxr's Avatar
CGhelofxr CGhelofxr is offline
Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 471
Likes: 151
Liked 173 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Call ButterBall, they have a hotline for all sorts of turkey questions
I wish I could be more helpful
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #4  
Old 11-25-2014, 04:14 PM
JohnSW JohnSW is offline
Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 888
Likes: 647
Liked 975 Times in 424 Posts
Default

The producer should have recommended cooking times on their web site. As an example:

Premium Fresh Tender Young Turkey Breast | Nutritional Information | Jennie-O® Turkey

(I cook whole turkeys, and have no personal experience with cooking turkey breasts.)
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #5  
Old 11-25-2014, 04:19 PM
zzzippper's Avatar
zzzippper zzzippper is offline
Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Louis area
Posts: 3,777
Likes: 1,585
Liked 5,170 Times in 1,932 Posts
Default

Google "Romancing the Bird" by Alton Brown and the Food Network. Best...turkey...ever.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #6  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:06 PM
usm1rifle's Avatar
usm1rifle usm1rifle is offline
SWCA Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Twin Cities
Posts: 2,160
Likes: 3,501
Liked 1,573 Times in 624 Posts
Default

If you cook that turkey breast that long, it will be like the one in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!

That would be for like a 12-15 pound bird, call the Butterball hotline.
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #7  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:13 PM
LoboGunLeather's Avatar
LoboGunLeather LoboGunLeather is online now
US Veteran
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,146
Likes: 6,297
Liked 17,864 Times in 3,352 Posts
Default

A turkey dinner is actually one of the easiest large meals to make. It just takes some time, most of which can be spent in the kitchen with a glass of wine in hand while we act like we know what we are doing.

For a whole roasted turkey I have come to rely on the "oven bags". These make the job almost too easy to do. Follow the written instructions (noting the differences in cooking times for stuffed or unstuffed birds). Cooking any part of a turkey without the stuffing seems to me a waste of time, but I know some others do it.

For a turkey breast I would recommend a roasting pan with cover, about 1 hour at 325-350F per pound with cover in place, then remove the cover and allow 30-45 minutes or so in the oven to brown the surface. I would start the breast by rubbing with butter (or margarine for you health Nazi types), then a sprinkling of Lowry's seasoned salt, and a bit of sage. An onion, cut into chunks or quarters in the pan with the breast will add some interesting flavors, as will chopped celery.

The pan drippings in the roasting pan will make the best turkey gravy you're likely to get. Low to medium heat in a skillet or sauce pan, add some flour dissolved in warm water (tablespoon of flour to a pint of water), keep working with the wisk as it thickens, salt and pepper to taste. The gravy is good for mashed potatoes, dressing or stuffing, or for hot turkey sandwiches as leftovers (the leftovers are some of the year's best eating of the season).

I would serve that roasted turkey breast sliced thin alongside mashed potatoes, candied yams, green bean casserole, and (if you have to do it this way) "Stove-top Stuffing Mix" done in a casserole dish in the oven alongside the breast. Some nice bread or rolls, maybe a little cranberry sauce on the side and a few black olives, followed by the pie of your choice, should satisfy any appetite.

If you are a wine drinker I would recommend a nice crisp California chardonnay or Chablis, maybe a rose or white merlot. Something a bit crisp, not too sweet.

Then lay down on the couch or stretch out in your La-Z-Boy and enjoy the game with a 6-pack of your favorites.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #8  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:19 PM
kozmic's Avatar
kozmic kozmic is offline
Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Western New York
Posts: 5,481
Likes: 13,898
Liked 9,702 Times in 3,286 Posts
Default

Kid...I usually butterfly boneless turkey breast, roll it with stuffing and tie it up with the skin around it. Yes, you can put water on bottom, but I hold the breast up on a rack. As the meat cooks you can use the water to bast the breast. Makes for a good lookin', good tastin' bird.

Best way to cook turkey or any meat is to use an instant meat thermometer. I usually start it at 425 for about 15 minutes to brown then reduce to 325 or so.

Plenty of videos on youtube. Google can get you to the promised land here.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck and happy Thanksgiving my friend.
__________________
paws for friendship
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #9  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Eaglestroker's Avatar
Eaglestroker Eaglestroker is offline
Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southaven, MS
Posts: 860
Likes: 3,054
Liked 1,978 Times in 347 Posts
Default

Ray, you make a fella hungry. Luckily we aren't far away from a turkey fix now.
  #10  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:43 PM
the ringo kid the ringo kid is offline
Banned
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20,903
Likes: 85,203
Liked 22,812 Times in 10,546 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo1597 View Post
Carl,

If you still have my number give me a call.

I'll also PM it to you.

Larry R.
Hi Larry,I do and sure will. Sometime on Wed--ill be making a run to HEBS for anything else I might need. Cant find my expensive wisk--so need another too.
  #11  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:47 PM
the ringo kid the ringo kid is offline
Banned
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20,903
Likes: 85,203
Liked 22,812 Times in 10,546 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSW View Post
The producer should have recommended cooking times on their web site. As an example:

Premium Fresh Tender Young Turkey Breast | Nutritional Information | Jennie-O® Turkey

(I cook whole turkeys, and have no personal experience with cooking turkey breasts.)
Thankyou, this helps and is notated.
  #12  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:50 PM
the ringo kid the ringo kid is offline
Banned
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20,903
Likes: 85,203
Liked 22,812 Times in 10,546 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzippper View Post
Google "Romancing the Bird" by Alton Brown and the Food Network. Best...turkey...ever.
Danke-and I will before I leave for home today. I tried to look up but couldnt spell the guys naemI wanted. Its soemthing like: lagasi???? used to have ashowI watched on the Food Network--about 5 or more years ago.

Just thought of his first name--its EMERIL
  #13  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:59 PM
zzzippper's Avatar
zzzippper zzzippper is offline
Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Louis area
Posts: 3,777
Likes: 1,585
Liked 5,170 Times in 1,932 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ringo kid View Post
Danke-and I will before I leave for home today. I tried to look up but couldnt spell the guys naemI wanted. Its soemthing like: lagasi???? used to have ashowI watched on the Food Network--about 5 or more years ago.

Just thought of his first name--its EMERIL
Emeril Lagassi. The spelling may not be correct.

The episode I told you to google calls for brining the bird and that can only be done with a fresh turkey, not one that has been processed with water, salt, etc.

Also, ignore the pop-up timer.
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #14  
Old 11-25-2014, 06:06 PM
the ringo kid the ringo kid is offline
Banned
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20,903
Likes: 85,203
Liked 22,812 Times in 10,546 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboGunLeather View Post
A turkey dinner is actually one of the easiest large meals to make. It just takes some time, most of which can be spent in the kitchen with a glass of wine in hand while we act like we know what we are doing.

For a whole roasted turkey I have come to rely on the "oven bags". These make the job almost too easy to do. Follow the written instructions (noting the differences in cooking times for stuffed or unstuffed birds). Cooking any part of a turkey without the stuffing seems to me a waste of time, but I know some others do it.

For a turkey breast I would recommend a roasting pan with cover, about 1 hour at 325-350F per pound with cover in place, then remove the cover and allow 30-45 minutes or so in the oven to brown the surface. I would start the breast by rubbing with butter (or margarine for you health Nazi types), then a sprinkling of Lowry's seasoned salt, and a bit of sage. An onion, cut into chunks or quarters in the pan with the breast will add some interesting flavors, as will chopped celery.

The pan drippings in the roasting pan will make the best turkey gravy you're likely to get. Low to medium heat in a skillet or sauce pan, add some flour dissolved in warm water (tablespoon of flour to a pint of water), keep working with the wisk as it thickens, salt and pepper to taste. The gravy is good for mashed potatoes, dressing or stuffing, or for hot turkey sandwiches as leftovers (the leftovers are some of the year's best eating of the season).

I would serve that roasted turkey breast sliced thin alongside mashed potatoes, candied yams, green bean casserole, and (if you have to do it this way) "Stove-top Stuffing Mix" done in a casserole dish in the oven alongside the breast. Some nice bread or rolls, maybe a little cranberry sauce on the side and a few black olives, followed by the pie of your choice, should satisfy any appetite.

If you are a wine drinker I would recommend a nice crisp California chardonnay or Chablis, maybe a rose or white merlot. Something a bit crisp, not too sweet.

Then lay down on the couch or stretch out in your La-Z-Boy and enjoy the game with a 6-pack of your favorites.
Muchos gracias. I do have some bagged Pepperidge Farm stuffing handy, will be making mashed potatoes from some russets I have, and have some corn on the cob, and two choices for pie (Cherry lattace--and apple-lattace) and ill be making cornbread as well as wheat roles. Cornbread from scratch--rolls froma Pilsbury or Grandes--can.;-))

I almost forgot, does Courvosier Cognac sound good? I still hae a little left that I got in germany 14 years ago.

Last edited by the ringo kid; 11-25-2014 at 06:08 PM.
  #15  
Old 11-25-2014, 06:09 PM
THE PILGRIM's Avatar
THE PILGRIM THE PILGRIM is online now
Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ALBUQUERQUE, NM
Posts: 9,826
Likes: 5,673
Liked 16,409 Times in 5,798 Posts
Default

These guys know how to cook the Turk!
I am a specialist in road kill. If anybody is planning on having roadkill.
sound off and we'll get you going!
__________________
NRA LIFE MEMBER
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #16  
Old 11-25-2014, 06:10 PM
the ringo kid the ringo kid is offline
Banned
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20,903
Likes: 85,203
Liked 22,812 Times in 10,546 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmic View Post
Kid...I usually butterfly boneless turkey breast, roll it with stuffing and tie it up with the skin around it. Yes, you can put water on bottom, but I hold the breast up on a rack. As the meat cooks you can use the water to bast the breast. Makes for a good lookin', good tastin' bird.

Best way to cook turkey or any meat is to use an instant meat thermometer. I usually start it at 425 for about 15 minutes to brown then reduce to 325 or so.

Plenty of videos on youtube. Google can get you to the promised land here.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck and happy Thanksgiving my friend.
Thank you much and does help. Ill try a few vids when I get back here early tomorrow--before doing final shopping at HEBs for anything I still need. I dont have internet at home because of ongoing nearby construction--so allplanning will have to be done be eary after noon Wed.

HAppy Thanksgiving to you as well, and hope it all is perfecton all accounts.

Im hoping to have Fred--the nam vet--over by about 4. He has to go to "joints" to get anything for the holidays. I know he'll enjoy this. I tried getting him out with a few friends of mine about 2 years ago--but he doesnt like being with too many unfamiliars...

Last edited by the ringo kid; 11-25-2014 at 06:15 PM.
  #17  
Old 11-25-2014, 06:13 PM
the ringo kid the ringo kid is offline
Banned
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20,903
Likes: 85,203
Liked 22,812 Times in 10,546 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzippper View Post
Emeril Lagassi. The spelling may not be correct.

The episode I told you to google calls for brining the bird and that can only be done with a fresh turkey, not one that has been processed with water, salt, etc.

Also, ignore the pop-up timer.
Muchos gracias amigo,and thanks for the corect spelling. Mine was cut fresh yesterday so shoud be good.
  #18  
Old 11-25-2014, 07:22 PM
gdnagle gdnagle is offline
US Veteran
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charles Town, WV
Posts: 4,157
Likes: 959
Liked 1,916 Times in 1,125 Posts
Default

Get a thermometer to inset into the turkey it will eliminate the guess work. Then get a big pot fill with peanut oil or some other high temperature oil outside bring temperature up to 375° F take thawed and completely dry turkey and insert it into the oil slowly. The turkey is done when the dark meat is at an internal temperature of 175° F to 180° F and all white meat is at an internal temperature of 165° F to 170° F. Fried turkey is very tasty. Use brine solution the day before.
__________________
Psalm 23:4
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #19  
Old 11-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Nevada Ed's Avatar
Nevada Ed Nevada Ed is offline
Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Reno Nv
Posts: 8,510
Likes: 885
Liked 5,828 Times in 2,857 Posts
Default

My wife like the "New style" cooking bag with a tie/tie.

A few veggies, a little flower, the bird and 350 degrees per
the stated amount of time per pound.
Walk away and come back when the timer goes off.........

The bag locks in the moisture and holds any juices for gravy.
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #20  
Old 11-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Leatherhead23's Avatar
Leatherhead23 Leatherhead23 is offline
SWCA Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia USA
Posts: 1,262
Likes: 2,331
Liked 3,907 Times in 627 Posts
Default

I'm tossing one in the smoker tomorrow. 30 mins per pounds gets it just right. Juicy and tender.
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #21  
Old 11-26-2014, 03:01 PM
the ringo kid the ringo kid is offline
Banned
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20,903
Likes: 85,203
Liked 22,812 Times in 10,546 Posts
Default

Anyone ever try a fryer yet? I saw one neighbor attempt that years ago--and caught his stairwell on fire in the process.
  #22  
Old 11-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Rintimtin's Avatar
Rintimtin Rintimtin is offline
Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 967
Likes: 1,263
Liked 596 Times in 339 Posts
Default

Ive never done just a breast before but a must have is a decent meat thermometer. Good luck hope everyone has a great a Thanksgiving lets remeber what the day is for.

I am trying the butterball indoor turkey fryer tomorrow. 15lb bird done in a little over an hour we will have too see. Bought two new meat thermometers cant be too causious. Bird plus stuffing, green bean casserole, dare i say BROCOLI casserole, cranberries from a can (my favorite) rolls and pie.
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #23  
Old 11-26-2014, 03:50 PM
gdnagle gdnagle is offline
US Veteran
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charles Town, WV
Posts: 4,157
Likes: 959
Liked 1,916 Times in 1,125 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ringo kid View Post
Anyone ever try a fryer yet? I saw one neighbor attempt that years ago--and caught his stairwell on fire in the process.
We have the big outdoor fryer for big birds and smaller Buttterball Digital Electric turkey fryer we use indoors. Both have their uses the electric one is easier to use. It is easier to keep the temperature under control without watching all the time. Just make sure whichever one you use you have a dry bird and lower it in slowly. The outdoor ones I've seen the after math of getting the oil too hot and lowering the bird in to fast or a wet bird with the burner burning. You never want to hit the flash point of oil with a source of ignition around. Makes for a quick fire and you better have a fire extinguisher handy and hope you can get it out.

Turkey comes out very moist for only 3-4 minuets per pound. Lots say after you eat a fried bird you never go back. I like it everyway so it doesn't matter if cooked in the oven, smoked, or fried. Here's a little info on frying a turkey. This is also the indoor fryer we have and the gas one is the slandered one you find in most stores. You wouldn't have any problem frying a breast in one of these. Plus frying anything like chicken, pickles, fries, or whatever in large amounts with little mess and you can steam in it also.

How To Deep Fry a Turkey | Butterball®
__________________
Psalm 23:4
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #24  
Old 11-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Jerry N.'s Avatar
Jerry N. Jerry N. is offline
Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 412
Likes: 25
Liked 147 Times in 94 Posts
Default

The main thing I recommend is getting a good thermometer. For safety, the meat should be cooked to 165°. In my opinion, that is too high, but that is the recommendation. My main point is that if you're going to cook a turkey breast to 165° you want to know when you hit it because going over will make the meat even dryer than it already tends to be. The next thing is to let meat rest. A 15 to 20 min rest will do wonders for the moisture. If you cut meat right out of the oven or grill, you will have a cutting board full of juices and dry meat.

I can't recommend it, but personally, I cook poultry to about 155° (usually go a little higher) and let it rest for 20 minutes. It will raise in heat as it rests (at first) and get close enough to 160° for me to call it good.
__________________
18-4, 15-4
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #25  
Old 11-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Leatherhead23's Avatar
Leatherhead23 Leatherhead23 is offline
SWCA Member
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia USA
Posts: 1,262
Likes: 2,331
Liked 3,907 Times in 627 Posts
Default

Put a ham in the oven with a 2 liter of Dr Pepper, half a bag of brown sugar, half a honey bear of honey and a can of chunked pinapple in syrup. 7 hours @ 350 degrees......best ham you'll put in your mouth.
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #26  
Old 11-27-2014, 04:11 PM
the ringo kid the ringo kid is offline
Banned
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20,903
Likes: 85,203
Liked 22,812 Times in 10,546 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnagle View Post
We have the big outdoor fryer for big birds and smaller Buttterball Digital Electric turkey fryer we use indoors. Both have their uses the electric one is easier to use. It is easier to keep the temperature under control without watching all the time. Just make sure whichever one you use you have a dry bird and lower it in slowly. The outdoor ones I've seen the after math of getting the oil too hot and lowering the bird in to fast or a wet bird with the burner burning. You never want to hit the flash point of oil with a source of ignition around. Makes for a quick fire and you better have a fire extinguisher handy and hope you can get it out.

Turkey comes out very moist for only 3-4 minuets per pound. Lots say after you eat a fried bird you never go back. I like it everyway so it doesn't matter if cooked in the oven, smoked, or fried. Here's a little info on frying a turkey. This is also the indoor fryer we have and the gas one is the slandered one you find in most stores. You wouldn't have any problem frying a breast in one of these. Plus frying anything like chicken, pickles, fries, or whatever in large amounts with little mess and you can steam in it also.

How To Deep Fry a Turkey | Butterball®
You make it sound super easy. These people I was watching fry their bird--had bubbling oil--dropped in a frozen bird--and fire was everywhere.I knew--they were making a large mistake but hadnt had time to mention it. I know thats like pouring water on hot grease......
  #27  
Old 11-27-2014, 04:13 PM
the ringo kid the ringo kid is offline
Banned
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20,903
Likes: 85,203
Liked 22,812 Times in 10,546 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherhead23 View Post
Put a ham in the oven with a 2 liter of Dr Pepper, half a bag of brown sugar, half a honey bear of honey and a can of chunked pinapple in syrup. 7 hours @ 350 degrees......best ham you'll put in your mouth.
My sister does that for Christmas dinner--and your right--best Ham I ever had. I didnt know it took so long to cook though.
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #28  
Old 11-27-2014, 04:14 PM
the ringo kid the ringo kid is offline
Banned
Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please. Need advise from the Expert Turkey cooks here please.  
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20,903
Likes: 85,203
Liked 22,812 Times in 10,546 Posts
Default

Oh and, I did get it covered with all the advise and hlp. Last think I was toldI need--is a roasting bag-so am about to head out for one.

Take care and thanks guys..
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The ducks were eating turkey! Turkey! GatorFarmer The Lounge 28 10-13-2014 05:12 PM
S&W 1917 Expert Advise Needed NORWICH CADET S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 20 01-16-2014 11:08 PM
Calling all cooks! drinva The Lounge 32 07-19-2013 12:35 AM
Need expert advise, is my S&W Model 617-6 ok? FrameK S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 9 06-09-2012 10:58 AM
Seeking Expert Advise From You Veterans (and Others) acco40 Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 3 04-13-2010 10:10 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)