Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Ammunition-Gunsmithing > Reloading
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 193
Likes: 0
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Default Accurate No.5

Hi. Has anyone tried Accurate No.5 for .38 Special standard-pressure loads with a 158gr. cast semi-wadcutter? If so, how do you like it? I'm wanting to try something that meters better than Unique (I do like that powder, though), a bit faster-burning than Power Pistol, and slower than W231.
I also want to eat my cake and have it, too.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 PM
papajohn428's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Louis Mo USA
Posts: 1,782
Likes: 654
Liked 698 Times in 372 Posts
Default

Few powders meter as well as AA-5. I shoot a lot of their stuff, and sometimes wonder why I don't use their powders for everything.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2011, 09:23 PM
ScottJ's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vandiver, Alabama
Posts: 629
Likes: 3
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I have never used it for .38 but have used it for hundreds of mid range .357s (140gr @just over 1,000) and in high performance .45 ACP and 9mm.

Got 850 with a 230 FMJ and 1130 with a 124gr XTP respectively.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,174
Likes: 683
Liked 502 Times in 275 Posts
Default

I use a LOT of AA#5 in my .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Most of my .38 Spl is loaded with either Unique or AA#2 simply because I have an 8 pound keg of each to draw from.
There is a great deal to enjoy about AA powders!
Randy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 PM
wantmoresmiths's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PA.
Posts: 476
Likes: 15
Liked 65 Times in 41 Posts
Default

It has been a while since I used AA#5 in a 38 special, 2008 to be exact, but according to my records it did provide great accuracy. I have used AA#5 in quite a few different calibers, but mostly for mid-range (900 to 1000 fps) loads in .41 and .44 mag. One of the reasons I like this powder is the way it meters. I really should go back to it just for the consistency.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 PM
ArchAngelCD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 3,967
Likes: 158
Liked 787 Times in 524 Posts
Default

I have used AA#5 in replica Speer +P loads but usually use W31 for standard pressure .38's. If you're looking for something slower than W231 i see no reason why AA#5 won't do a good job for you.

I use mostly Hodgdon/Winchester/IMR powders because that's what is available where I live. To tell the truth I would gladly use AA handgun powders if they were available in my area.
__________________
Freedom is never free!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 254
Likes: 11
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I load 38 spl, 40, 44 spl, (very)light 44 mag, and 45 acp with AA#5. It's not perfect for everything but it works well enough for me. AND it meters like a dream.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pike county pa
Posts: 630
Likes: 239
Liked 164 Times in 87 Posts
Default

I use AA#5 with Speer LSWCHP's. I use 6.2 grains. According to the Speer book this puts it at the bottom of their +p loads or the top of their regular loads. I like the way it shoots.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 108
Likes: 4
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default

In the past I've used AA2, 5, 7 and 9. For 9mm, .45acp, 10mm and 44 Mag and probably .357.

Like the guy said above, don't know why I don't use it more often...it's been good to me over the years.

Some of my favorite 9mm and .45acp use AA5, I haven't tried it yet in .38 Special, however it is on the agenda.

They have a free online download for their data...very helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 193
Likes: 0
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Thanks for your input, Everyone. I'm going to try a pound, when I can find it. My local pusher has stopped carrying Accurate, for some reason.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
ArchAngelCD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 3,967
Likes: 158
Liked 787 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shil View Post
Thanks for your input, Everyone. I'm going to try a pound, when I can find it. My local pusher has stopped carrying Accurate, for some reason.
Probably for the same reason they don't sell in my area. Not enough demand because not many people know anything about Accurate powders.
__________________
Freedom is never free!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 PM
125JHP's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: high snor'n desert
Posts: 928
Likes: 185
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Default

I have 38spl 158 cast loads using 5.8g of AA-5 clocking around 800 out of a 4" M-19 and 850 fps out of a 6" M-686. I think those are right at the max range of current AA published data, so best to work up from a lower start load.

Last edited by 125JHP; 11-16-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 PM
wantmoresmiths's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PA.
Posts: 476
Likes: 15
Liked 65 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Looks like a group of us here in PA, I'm in the Allentown area, are all having difficulty finding dealers who stock the Accurate powders. That is the reason I moved on to other powders.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 AM
ArchAngelCD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 3,967
Likes: 158
Liked 787 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmoresmiths View Post
Looks like a group of us here in PA, I'm in the Allentown area, are all having difficulty finding dealers who stock the Accurate powders. That is the reason I moved on to other powders.
And the problem runs all the way up from Allentown to the Scranton area. The rifle powders are even harder to find than the pistol powders.
__________________
Freedom is never free!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 AM
H Richard's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Central IL
Posts: 9,983
Likes: 2,072
Liked 2,014 Times in 1,147 Posts
Default

Your PA dealers may all belong to the same "Buying Group", and the Buying Group can't get a good enough price on Accurate Powder to continue to distribute it.
__________________
H Richard
SWCA1967
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-17-2011, 01:43 PM
valkyriekl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 925
Likes: 44
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I've used 5.8gr AA#5 under a 158gr LSWC and 158gr LRN in .38 Special cases; it's a little stout for a 'standard pressure' .38, maybe more like a 'full pressure' .38 or a low-end .38+P. Nice and accurate, though.

I also like it in full power .44 Special and .45ACP loads.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

To you guys in PA (Scranton/ Allentown), Shyda's in Lebanon carries all (pistol/rifle) Accurate powders. Not exactly around the corner from you, but still do-able. Excellent prices too.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-30-2011, 01:32 AM
ArchAngelCD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 3,967
Likes: 158
Liked 787 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalmcc4 View Post
To you guys in PA (Scranton/ Allentown), Shyda's in Lebanon carries all (pistol/rifle) Accurate powders. Not exactly around the corner from you, but still do-able. Excellent prices too.
Thank you, I'll keep them in mind if I'm in the area...
__________________
Freedom is never free!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 AM
DWalt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Texas
Posts: 5,854
Likes: 1
Liked 1,095 Times in 809 Posts
Default

AA5 is a very high bulk density powder, and works best in smaller capacity cases. It is a superb powder for .38 Super and 9X23 Winchester if you want to get the highest MV. I have no trouble in exceeding 1400 fps using 124 grain bullets in the 9X23.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 325
Likes: 167
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Thumbs up

Gander Mountain had some on sale awhile back, for $10.00/pound. I bought 4 lbs. Bought some $12.00/ pound 2015, too. I use it in .45 Acp and lead bullets. Amazing shot to shot velocity. 10 shots and the high to low spread was 7 fps! What more can you say, Great Powder.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Linear Thinker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Blue State, NE US
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Richard View Post
Your PA dealers may all belong to the same "Buying Group", and the Buying Group can't get a good enough price on Accurate Powder to continue to distribute it.
Your PA dealers probably get their stock from the same wholesaler - Jerry's, whose main warehouse is in Scranton area.
Jerry's has discontinued the Accurate powders.
LT

Last edited by Linear Thinker; 12-01-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 178
Likes: 2
Liked 48 Times in 29 Posts
Default

I tried AA #5 with at least three cast bullet designs in the .38 Special a number of years ago. According to my notes, none of the loads compared with Bullseye and 231 from an accuracy standpoint. As someone mentioned, however, it does meter well through a measure.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-02-2011, 02:08 AM
ArchAngelCD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 3,967
Likes: 158
Liked 787 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linear Thinker View Post
Your PA dealers probably get their stock from the same wholesaler - Jerry's, whose main warehouse is in Scranton area.
Jerry's has discontinued the Accurate powders.
LT
You are correct, most dealers do use Jerry's as their supplier. I thought things would get better with them when they sold out and moved to a different warehouse but some things never change!
__________________
Freedom is never free!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 227
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I use it occasionally and it is a good powder. I also like No. 9 for my 357 loads. Only problem I have with them is they leak out of my Lee pro auto disk powder measure. They are very fine powders.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
38spl, 45acp, 686, bullseye, model 686, wadcutter, winchester

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Reloading Thread, Accurate No.5 in Ammunition-Gunsmithing; Hi. Has anyone tried Accurate No.5 for .38 Special standard-pressure loads with a 158gr. cast semi-wadcutter? If so, how do ...
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How accurate is the M&P40 1sailor Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 31 01-30-2012 10:39 AM
How 'accurate' is your M&P .45? dogsoldier Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 14 11-14-2011 05:31 PM
how accurate is your 617 pea shooter S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 8 08-17-2010 08:23 PM
Most Accurate fknipfer1 S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 30 03-26-2010 04:46 PM
WTS LAR-15 Accurate! Mo. flat top GUNS - For Sale or Trade 1 03-08-2010 09:04 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2013
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)