Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

Reloading All Reloading Topics Go Here


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-05-2017, 07:04 PM
Nightowl's Avatar
Nightowl Nightowl is offline
SWCA Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Warrensburg, MO USA
Posts: 4,584
Likes: 1,385
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,139 Posts
Default Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?

In the old days, I had dies that actually provided a nice roll crimp on .44 and .357/.38 reloads. The new "roll crimp" dies I have from RCBS merely give a straight squeeze to the top of the brass, but do not roll the case into the crimp groove.

I had Dillon accu crimp dies but they were not roll crimp. I bought two sets of RCBS dies, don't ask me why, neither one will roll crimp like the RCBS dies I wore out. I went back to the Dillon crimp die, which seems better than the RCBS "roll crimp".

I really don't want to have to buy every brand of roll crimp die to find if at least one will actually "roll" crimp into the crimping groove.

Thanks for your assistance.
__________________
Richard Gillespie
FBINA 102
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2017, 07:10 PM
zonker5's Avatar
zonker5 zonker5 is offline
SWCA Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,274
Likes: 2,473
Liked 1,292 Times in 458 Posts
Default

Sounds like you have a taper crimp die in the roll crimp box or you have the roll crimp die set too high.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #3  
Old 02-05-2017, 08:03 PM
rockquarry rockquarry is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 4
Liked 2,674 Times in 1,373 Posts
Default

I've used those by RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Herter's, and perhaps some others; all worked fine. Is your adjustment okay?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #4  
Old 02-05-2017, 09:07 PM
zeke zeke is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NW Wi
Posts: 950
Likes: 506
Liked 650 Times in 319 Posts
Default

Redding makes a special profile crimp die for revolvers that can be adjusted to just roll over, or to roll over and then flatten brass into cannelure.

LFC will also do this, if adjusted down far enough. Am not familiar with any other regular roll crimp dies that do this.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #5  
Old 02-06-2017, 02:06 AM
Dennis Dennis is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 612
Likes: 2,925
Liked 475 Times in 263 Posts
Default

Redding Profile Crimp dies.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
  #6  
Old 02-06-2017, 02:35 AM
fixitfred fixitfred is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 150
Likes: 69
Liked 122 Times in 56 Posts
Default

You need to check your die adjustment and make sure you have a roll crimp die and not a taper. I don't see how any die from any major manufacturer will not put a satisfactory roll crimp on a case.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #7  
Old 02-06-2017, 04:17 AM
BLUEDOT37's Avatar
BLUEDOT37 BLUEDOT37 is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: N.E. OKLA.
Posts: 5,060
Likes: 4,360
Liked 6,216 Times in 2,446 Posts
Default

I have RCBS, Lee, Hornady, & Redding roll crimp dies & if you adjust them lightly you'll get a rolled crimp but if you adjust them too much it flattens out the crimp. Some dies seem to go from one extreme to another with very little change.

If all your brass aren't exactly the same length (not mine) you'll get a range of roll crimps from the same setting. You just have to find a happy medium or mess with adjustment constantly.

.
__________________
M29? Do you feel lucky, punk?
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #8  
Old 02-06-2017, 06:10 AM
jaymoore's Avatar
jaymoore jaymoore is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: US of A
Posts: 2,067
Likes: 6,015
Liked 2,223 Times in 1,038 Posts
Default

I've had best results lately using the Lee Factory Crimp dies as noted above. ("LFC" in Post #4) Next best have been Hornady. But I crimp in a separate operation from seating, which may influence things somewhat.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #9  
Old 02-06-2017, 07:11 AM
Collo Rosso's Avatar
Collo Rosso Collo Rosso is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 1,525
Likes: 1,268
Liked 2,020 Times in 762 Posts
Default

My RCBS 38/357 and 44spl/mag dies are 6 years old or so and do a very nice roll crimp.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #10  
Old 02-06-2017, 09:48 AM
Ballistic147 Ballistic147 is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 713
Likes: 130
Liked 717 Times in 326 Posts
Default

I use Hornady dies for 44/38/357 and the roll crimp is very nice. I do trim all my brass in these calibers as others have mentioned and the roll crimps are very consistent. I have found with the Hornady dies there is a very fine line between a good solid roll crimp and a buckled case. I'm talking 1/16th of a turn. Trim the brass and get it set and you're golden.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-06-2017, 12:31 PM
ArchAngelCD ArchAngelCD is offline
Moderator
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northeast PA, USA
Posts: 6,112
Likes: 380
Liked 2,494 Times in 1,413 Posts
Default

Redding makes a profile crimp die that is excellent but it's a little expensive too.
Redding Profile Crimp Die 38 Special 357 Mag

Believe it or not, Lee is now making a collect style crimp die for handgun cartridges. It's listed as a profile crimp die and is half the price of the Redding die.
Lee Collet-Style Crimp Die 38 Special 357 Mag
__________________
Freedom is never free!!
SWCA #3437
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #12  
Old 02-06-2017, 01:27 PM
gwpercle's Avatar
gwpercle gwpercle is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 4,781
Likes: 4,018
Liked 4,627 Times in 2,292 Posts
Default

CH4D , you can order just the roll crimp die and they will roll in an old school crimp.
50 years reloading, CH4D are my favorite above every other brand .
Gary
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #13  
Old 02-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Nightowl's Avatar
Nightowl Nightowl is offline
SWCA Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Warrensburg, MO USA
Posts: 4,584
Likes: 1,385
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,139 Posts
Default

The crimp die that I have looks like it just makes a vertical compression in the case at the crimp groove, rather than rolling the crimp inward. This has been a frustrating exercise. Oh, and no it is not a taper crimp, just square!

I will try one of the dies that have been recommended.
__________________
Richard Gillespie
FBINA 102
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-07-2017, 01:12 AM
Nemo288's Avatar
Nemo288 Nemo288 is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Badgerland
Posts: 2,103
Likes: 384
Liked 1,191 Times in 617 Posts
Default

+1 on the Redding Profile crimp die.
They have been tested out as the best at preventing bullet creep.
I use the 44 version on just about every 44 cartridge out there when loading bullets that have a groove of any sort.
For bullets with no groove or cannelure or when loading them so the groove doesn't line up,
the LFC die works fine but the revolver ones have a carbide ring some of us don't like for oversized cast bullets.
My RCBS or Redding seat/crimp dies usually do a good job roll crimping as well but I like to do it in a separate step
with the seat dies set so they don't crimp.
Sometimes when I don't feel I need a hard crimp or am loading a solid shank bullet or a plated one
I'll use a taper crimp to basically just remove the expansion bell mouth.
__________________
NEMO
"Everything 44"
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #15  
Old 02-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Mikeinkaty Mikeinkaty is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 327
Likes: 6
Liked 134 Times in 64 Posts
Default

I learned something the other day. The Lee Factory Crimp die for a pistol does a roll crimp (and a fine one too) while the Lee Factory Crimp die for rifle is a collet style. Or that's the way it was when I ordered a FCD for my 357 mag. My friends die set for a 300AAC had the collet. Both died were referred as a FCD.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-02-2020, 02:06 PM
oddshooter oddshooter is online now
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: the free state of Arizona
Posts: 556
Likes: 1,059
Liked 977 Times in 337 Posts
Default

Sometimes, some of us don't want a profile crimp !!! Profile crimp tends to swage down the diameter of the bullet as well as the case as it tightens.

I have 45 Colts with .454 chambers. I have .455 Webley.

My .455 bullets need to stay .455". I use a Lyman 45-70 .456 expander plug to make the .454 "NEST" for the bullet. There is a snap-back of .002", so the .456 - .002 = .454" nest

Profile crimp from Redding definitely can swage. The Lee crimper U9 for .45 colt/.455 Webley definitely swages down the bullet as well to .4525. After making a perfect .454 nest, the perfect bullet diameter is lost using a profile crimp.

My answer for this situation, is to roll crimp ONLY the mouth; unlike the profile crimp which swages along the bullet shank.


Prescut
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-02-2020, 06:08 PM
Nemo288's Avatar
Nemo288 Nemo288 is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Badgerland
Posts: 2,103
Likes: 384
Liked 1,191 Times in 617 Posts
Default

Take the seating stem out of an RCBS seat-crimp die and it make a very good roll crimp die.
__________________
NEMO
"Everything 44"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-02-2020, 06:33 PM
505Gibbs's Avatar
505Gibbs 505Gibbs is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Suburban Deeeetroit
Posts: 1,423
Likes: 2
Liked 531 Times in 276 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Redding Profile Crimp dies.
I'll second this comment!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-03-2020, 03:28 PM
Nightowl's Avatar
Nightowl Nightowl is offline
SWCA Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Warrensburg, MO USA
Posts: 4,584
Likes: 1,385
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,139 Posts
Default

I have been using the profile crimp dies since this thread began and totally unhappy with them. I just look up a couple of websites without any success and then found that RCBS advertises roll crimp dies, so am going to order a couple. Will keep you informed to see if they really roll crimp.

To those who said that the profile crimp will roll crimp, let me say that I have not been able to figure out how that is done. I only use lead bullets with a crimp groove and have not been able to get a real roll crimp, like I used to get with crimp dies.
__________________
Richard Gillespie
FBINA 102
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-03-2020, 06:50 PM
fredj338's Avatar
fredj338 fredj338 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kalif. usa
Posts: 6,430
Likes: 2,300
Liked 3,553 Times in 2,172 Posts
Default

I would try the zhornady, but trying to figure out you wear a crimp/seating die out?
__________________
NRA Cert. Inst. IDPA CSO
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #21  
Old 06-03-2020, 07:16 PM
max's Avatar
max max is online now
US Veteran
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: illinois
Posts: 5,063
Likes: 1,036
Liked 3,980 Times in 1,319 Posts
Default

I started with RCBS over 40 years ago and they work just fine.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #22  
Old 06-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Nightowl's Avatar
Nightowl Nightowl is offline
SWCA Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Warrensburg, MO USA
Posts: 4,584
Likes: 1,385
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I would try the zhornady, but trying to figure out you wear a crimp/seating die out?
I don't know where my old dies went. I either lost them in one of the several moves, or something! Several years ago, my sizing die started scratching cases, so I bought a new set. I may have give some of them away to new reloaders. Makes no difference, they are gone.
__________________
Richard Gillespie
FBINA 102
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-04-2020, 08:55 AM
RedHawk357Mag's Avatar
RedHawk357Mag RedHawk357Mag is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Duncan Oklahoma
Posts: 61
Likes: 53
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

These have worked pretty good for me. Think I have five or six different sets of dies trying to mix and match for different bullets. These have been the best so far with .358" sized bullets. The Redding Profile Crimp Die, I have bought two, thinking that the first must be sized wrong. With brass within plus or minus .003", of the same headstamp, I could not reliably not swag my bullets. Either a taper crimp or swagged bullet. Bought both Lee CARBIDE Factory crimp die, and the custom COLLET crimp die. Both worked ok with an eye on brass wall thickness with a .358". Also there MAY be an issue with flexibility in Carbide sizing ring among CFC die. The second picture shows how I get repeatable settings when adjusting dies.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
__________________
M629-4PP M686-4PP M617
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #24  
Old 06-07-2020, 06:56 AM
roundgun roundgun is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 96
Likes: 201
Liked 52 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddshooter View Post
Sometimes, some of us don't want a profile crimp !!! Profile crimp tends to swage down the diameter of the bullet as well as the case as it tightens.

I have 45 Colts with .454 chambers. I have .455 Webley.

My .455 bullets need to stay .455". I use a Lyman 45-70 .456 expander plug to make the .454 "NEST" for the bullet. There is a snap-back of .002", so the .456 - .002 = .454" nest

Profile crimp from Redding definitely can swage. The Lee crimper U9 for .45 colt/.455 Webley definitely swages down the bullet as well to .4525. After making a perfect .454 nest, the perfect bullet diameter is lost using a profile crimp.

My answer for this situation, is to roll crimp ONLY the mouth; unlike the profile crimp which swages along the bullet shank.


Prescut
What method/tools do you use to roll crimp "just the mouth"?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-07-2020, 07:36 AM
Nightowl's Avatar
Nightowl Nightowl is offline
SWCA Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Warrensburg, MO USA
Posts: 4,584
Likes: 1,385
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,139 Posts
Default

I have not loaded anything but lead bullets in years. I like to roll the case mouth in the crimp groove so that the mouth is below the edge of the front driving band. Makes a good looking cartridge, and works extremely well.
__________________
Richard Gillespie
FBINA 102
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-07-2020, 10:20 AM
WR Moore WR Moore is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,302
Likes: 272
Liked 2,459 Times in 1,317 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundgun View Post
What method/tools do you use to roll crimp "just the mouth"?
You use a roll crimping die. They're available separately from Lyman (directly) & RCBS. If, for what ever reason you want to do it as a separate step, you can pull the seating stem.

Uh, just re-read post #1, OP might want to contact RCBS and ask about why their current dies-or at least the one you got-performs the way it does. Proper roll crimps are very dependent upon having consistent case lengths.

Last edited by WR Moore; 06-07-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-07-2020, 01:37 PM
mikld's Avatar
mikld mikld is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: May 2012
Location: S. Orygun
Posts: 1,771
Likes: 1,173
Liked 1,059 Times in 619 Posts
Default

I hope the OP has found a solution since he first posted about 3 1/2 years ago. Much has been said about crimping but I use a Redding taper crimp die for my 44 and 357 Magnums and cast bullets. In all the crimps I have tested using a Redding crimp die with cast bullets from 10-15 BHN, none were swaged down any more than any other crimping tool. Most (all) were the same size when I took them out as when I seated them...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-22-2020, 09:03 PM
OldChief OldChief is online now
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,299
Likes: 2,752
Liked 2,378 Times in 684 Posts
Default

I have to go along with everyone who likes RCBS, I've been using them for years and get a real good roll crimp when needed.
__________________
Ed
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-23-2020, 11:10 AM
Nightowl's Avatar
Nightowl Nightowl is offline
SWCA Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Warrensburg, MO USA
Posts: 4,584
Likes: 1,385
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,139 Posts
Default

I bought RCBS roll crimp dies for .44 and .357. I have tried the .44 and it is acceptable, but I have not worked with the .357 yet. I will report back on it as soon as I load some .38 or .357 ammo. Thanks to all for their comments.
__________________
Richard Gillespie
FBINA 102
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-23-2020, 01:26 PM
dla dla is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 910
Likes: 211
Liked 328 Times in 198 Posts
Default

I quit messing around with roll crimping years ago. If I need to keep bullet in place I work on neck tension first, and then use a Lee Factory Crimp collet second. The bullets I use in my 329pd hold still with full-house loads.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-23-2020, 02:13 PM
Imissedagain's Avatar
Imissedagain Imissedagain is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,077
Likes: 348
Liked 868 Times in 462 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDOT37 View Post
I have RCBS, Lee, Hornady, & Redding roll crimp dies & if you adjust them lightly you'll get a rolled crimp but if you adjust them too much it flattens out the crimp. Some dies seem to go from one extreme to another with very little change.

If all your brass aren't exactly the same length (not mine) you'll get a range of roll crimps from the same setting. You just have to find a happy medium or mess with adjustment constantly.

.
As stated above is what I've found with my RCBS dies as well.
Trim, seat, then raise the seater and get the die set up to roll in the groove.... too low... no good.
Middle to just below the top... nice roll crimp.... light or heavy is possible.
Perfection is possible when taking your time.
It took/takes me time to get it right with each bullet.... hammer bullet puller useful after dummy is perfect.
My hammer and the old Lees work the same way but then the press was invented...
or became affordable.
__________________
Have Fun/Stay Safe

Last edited by Imissedagain; 06-23-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-23-2020, 02:18 PM
Imissedagain's Avatar
Imissedagain Imissedagain is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,077
Likes: 348
Liked 868 Times in 462 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
I quit messing around with roll crimping years ago. If I need to keep bullet in place I work on neck tension first, and then use a Lee Factory Crimp collet second. The bullets I use in my 329pd hold still with full-house loads.
It's not just about keeping the bullet in place under extreme recoil but a light or heavy crimp allows time for proper powder burn.
Or so I'm told.
Our 3.5" and 8.375" 460s are two different Beasts.

Have read that 45ACP Bullseye shooters take the taper crimp well below that which the books list for better results.
__________________
Have Fun/Stay Safe

Last edited by Imissedagain; 06-23-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-25-2020, 07:55 AM
dogdoc dogdoc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Alabama
Posts: 375
Likes: 51
Liked 309 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
In the old days, I had dies that actually provided a nice roll crimp on .44 and .357/.38 reloads. The new "roll crimp" dies I have from RCBS merely give a straight squeeze to the top of the brass, but do not roll the case into the crimp groove.

I had Dillon accu crimp dies but they were not roll crimp. I bought two sets of RCBS dies, don't ask me why, neither one will roll crimp like the RCBS dies I wore out. I went back to the Dillon crimp die, which seems better than the RCBS "roll crimp".

I really don't want to have to buy every brand of roll crimp die to find if at least one will actually "roll" crimp into the crimping groove.

Thanks for your assistance.
Try Lyman. I like lymans roll crimp on cast bullets. I believe Brian Pearce of handloader magazine prefers Lyman for roll crimps on lead bullets but I may be wrong. I have Redding profile crimp and it is more of a taper crimp
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-25-2020, 10:20 AM
LostintheOzone's Avatar
LostintheOzone LostintheOzone is offline
US Veteran
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA.
Posts: 3,014
Likes: 2,781
Liked 2,844 Times in 1,385 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoore View Post
I've had best results lately using the Lee Factory Crimp dies as noted above. ("LFC" in Post #4) Next best have been Hornady. But I crimp in a separate operation from seating, which may influence things somewhat.
I have found that seating and crimping at the same time requires one to do a lot of die adjustment. Once you understand what the die is doing and how to adjust it's like a major scientific discovery. It aint that easy. As a new reloader about 10 years ago I found that seating and crimping in separate operations was much easier then getting that adjustment just right. Once I had that mastered I started experimenting with seating and crimping with the same stroke. I learned how to do that but I'm not convinced it's better on some cartridges. It's really nice to be able to adjust a crimp as you load. You can't do that easily if you seat and crimp with the same stroke because the dies have to be adjusted for two operations where a crimp die only has one job.

Personally, I think the seat/crimp die was an effort to reduce the cost of a die set, not make better ammo or make it easier to reload. Lots of people have found that a progressive press with both seat die and crimp die is the perfect setup.
__________________
That's just somebody talkin.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 06-25-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #35  
Old 06-29-2020, 12:28 PM
DeplorabusUnum's Avatar
DeplorabusUnum DeplorabusUnum is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 50
Likes: 70
Liked 70 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoore View Post
I've had best results lately using the Lee Factory Crimp dies as noted above. ("LFC" in Post #4) Next best have been Hornady. But I crimp in a separate operation from seating, which may influence things somewhat.
Agree with this. LFC, at least in my hands, puts the best crimp, so I seat with the RCBS die, then change the die and crimp.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #36  
Old 06-29-2020, 01:47 PM
bigggbbruce's Avatar
bigggbbruce bigggbbruce is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where this month?
Posts: 3,432
Likes: 245
Liked 3,893 Times in 1,609 Posts
Default

Thread from the dead..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDOT37 View Post
I have RCBS, Lee, Hornady, & Redding roll crimp dies & if you adjust them lightly you'll get a rolled crimp but if you adjust them too much it flattens out the crimp.
Look at the overcrimp in this thread...357 how am I doing?

Less crimp will work much better.

Last edited by bigggbbruce; 06-29-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-30-2020, 12:29 AM
jaymoore's Avatar
jaymoore jaymoore is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: US of A
Posts: 2,067
Likes: 6,015
Liked 2,223 Times in 1,038 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeplorabusUnum View Post
Agree with this. LFC, at least in my hands, puts the best crimp, so I seat with the RCBS die, then change the die and crimp.
It seems there's little uniformity with seating/crimp dies between manufacturers and, I suppose, time. I have Dillon, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, Pacific (old Hornady), RCBS, with some duplicates, just for .44 Mag, plus some more for .44 Spl. ( I don't like adjusting dies. I'd rather set each one up for a specific bullet, etc.) Most all have found a niche where they work better than the others.
The toughest match was getting "big" 0.433" cast bullets with wide front bands to go without either getting the whole case sized down/stuck or the bullet driving band damaged. That job is done with a Dillon die that has a big lower and upper (above the crimp) I.D. Had to remove the seating plug to make it work, but it's been great in that role. It did a miserable job with 0.429" bullets anyway.

BTW, the Lee FCD dies aren't all that uniform in the carbide "uniforming" ring I.D. Which has also worked out well, because of the different bullet diameters used.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #38  
Old 07-01-2020, 02:01 AM
DeplorabusUnum's Avatar
DeplorabusUnum DeplorabusUnum is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 50
Likes: 70
Liked 70 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoore View Post
It seems there's little uniformity with seating/crimp dies between manufacturers and, I suppose, time. I have Dillon, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, Pacific (old Hornady), RCBS, with some duplicates, just for .44 Mag, plus some more for .44 Spl. ( I don't like adjusting dies. I'd rather set each one up for a specific bullet, etc.) Most all have found a niche where they work better than the others.
The toughest match was getting "big" 0.433" cast bullets with wide front bands to go without either getting the whole case sized down/stuck or the bullet driving band damaged. That job is done with a Dillon die that has a big lower and upper (above the crimp) I.D. Had to remove the seating plug to make it work, but it's been great in that role. It did a miserable job with 0.429" bullets anyway.

BTW, the Lee FCD dies aren't all that uniform in the carbide "uniforming" ring I.D. Which has also worked out well, because of the different bullet diameters used.
I have noticed some rounds after bullet seating won't drop into my L.E. Wilson sizing gauge. They seem to have a tiny bulge that keeps them from dropping in. That uniforming ring does a great job of eliminating that bulge in the cartridge so that after applying the crimp it drops right in. Another reason I use the LFC die for crimping.

Last edited by DeplorabusUnum; 07-01-2020 at 02:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #39  
Old 07-02-2020, 12:43 AM
jaymoore's Avatar
jaymoore jaymoore is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: US of A
Posts: 2,067
Likes: 6,015
Liked 2,223 Times in 1,038 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeplorabusUnum View Post
I have noticed some rounds after bullet seating won't drop into my L.E. Wilson sizing gauge. They seem to have a tiny bulge that keeps them from dropping in. That uniforming ring does a great job of eliminating that bulge in the cartridge so that after applying the crimp it drops right in. Another reason I use the LFC die for crimping.
It probably doesn't help accuracy, though! It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

In the case of .44 Magnum for shooting long range steel with older 29s (Pre-1990s, basically) I use "fat", soft, swaged lead projectiles which require almost no case neck tension, lest they get reduced in size. The bullets ideally can be seated 1/2 to all the way with thumb pressure before placing in the press.

To avoid "failure to chamber" dramas with these loads a Lee FCD is used in the first station of a Dillon 550. Crimping parts removed! Then a partial (neck?) size to just below bullet seating depth, then a custom expander plug, then a small flare. Priming, powder and initial bullet seating done off press. After doing a run that fills a mess of reloading trays the head is swapped on the Dillon for the seating and crimping dies. (In this case another Lee FCD die is used for crimping, but it has a larger carbide ring I.D., so it only bumps the flare, not the rest of the case.)

USUALLY, the initial pass through the stripped FCD die does nothing, but I did have a few problems before incorporating this step, probably from shooting ammo in different revolvers for testing. 95% of the time, though, this ammo gets used in one of three revolvers which all play well together, brass wise.

You do what you have to in order to get good results at 100yd or 200m, with "clunky old S&Ws" depending on the competition. And you have to be able to still shoot well after 35 rounds to connect with those distant Rams, either freestyle or standing. No artificial supports! I suppose I could use my Freedom Arms .41 Mag, but it's just not as satisfying.

BTW, it seems that the Lee FCD die is also particularly good at producing a uniform crimp all about the circumference of the case, probably a combination of the guiding tendency of the uniforming ring to center the cartridge and the free floating crimper. Some "old school" crimp dies are bad to crimp one side much more than the other, esp. if they have generous clearances.

Last edited by jaymoore; 07-02-2020 at 02:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-02-2020, 07:58 PM
DeplorabusUnum's Avatar
DeplorabusUnum DeplorabusUnum is offline
Member
Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die? Does anyone make a good roll crimp die?  
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 50
Likes: 70
Liked 70 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoore View Post
It probably doesn't help accuracy, though! It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

In the case of .44 Magnum for shooting long range steel with older 29s (Pre-1990s, basically) I use "fat", soft, swaged lead projectiles which require almost no case neck tension, lest they get reduced in size. The bullets ideally can be seated 1/2 to all the way with thumb pressure before placing in the press.

To avoid "failure to chamber" dramas with these loads a Lee FCD is used in the first station of a Dillon 550. Crimping parts removed! Then a partial (neck?) size to just below bullet seating depth, then a custom expander plug, then a small flare. Priming, powder and initial bullet seating done off press. After doing a run that fills a mess of reloading trays the head is swapped on the Dillon for the seating and crimping dies. (In this case another Lee FCD die is used for crimping, but it has a larger carbide ring I.D., so it only bumps the flare, not the rest of the case.)

USUALLY, the initial pass through the stripped FCD die does nothing, but I did have a few problems before incorporating this step, probably from shooting ammo in different revolvers for testing. 95% of the time, though, this ammo gets used in one of three revolvers which all play well together, brass wise.

You do what you have to in order to get good results at 100yd or 200m, with "clunky old S&Ws" depending on the competition. And you have to be able to still shoot well after 35 rounds to connect with those distant Rams, either freestyle or standing. No artificial supports! I suppose I could use my Freedom Arms .41 Mag, but it's just not as satisfying.

BTW, it seems that the Lee FCD die is also particularly good at producing a uniform crimp all about the circumference of the case, probably a combination of the guiding tendency of the uniforming ring to center the cartridge and the free floating crimper. Some "old school" crimp dies are bad to crimp one side much more than the other, esp. if they have generous clearances.
That's interesting. I'd never heard of doing that until just now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the difference between a roll crimp and a taper crimp? Retired LTC, USAR Reloading 25 08-07-2018 09:18 PM
Roll crimp or taper crimp for 357 rifle? Mikeinkaty Reloading 19 12-27-2016 01:05 PM
Taper crimp or roll crimp for 45acp in 625 luv2shoot Reloading 12 10-20-2013 12:56 AM
Roll crimp better for 45acp revolver vs taper crimp? YamaLink Reloading 15 01-07-2013 02:54 AM
ROLL CRIMP-TAPER CRIMP FOR 38 357 HAWKEYE10 Reloading 10 05-15-2009 04:23 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)