Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-10-2017, 07:14 AM
Dubenjs1 Dubenjs1 is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default First time reloading

Looking for some advice, does anyone use bayou bullets, I am looking to use either the 200gr SWC or RN hi-tek coated with bullseye powder, does anyone know of a good combination for charge size and O.A.L. I will be shooting these through a shield 45. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 AM
JHB51 JHB51 is online now
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 337
Likes: 81
Liked 45 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Lyman cast bullet handbook is a good source for load info. The next is the powder manufactures web site. The most dangerous is asking on the net for load data to many people with not enough experience or worse someone who will give you person a load that will blow your gun up for kicks.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #3  
Old 05-10-2017, 08:38 AM
catadjuster's Avatar
catadjuster catadjuster is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 165
Likes: 56
Liked 121 Times in 76 Posts
Default Book

I suggest getting the book "Modern Handloading" by Richard Lee as a starting place. He compiles load data from numerous manufacturers in one text book. Then, as you start tending towards favorite loads, do get the manuals published by those suppliers.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #4  
Old 05-10-2017, 09:05 AM
kornax kornax is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 37
Likes: 6
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I picked up the Lyman 49th edition reloading handbook when i started about 1.5 years ago. And I read through all of the prefixes etc that give you tons of useful information. This $25 book is worth the money.




I also watched tons of videos from many people to see their experience as well as comments.

Like stated above, you need to figure out what you want to load. And never just take someones info for a load. Small adjustments in a load can have a large impact on the outcome.

Every time I consider reloading a new load, I read first, ask here for some advice if I have questions. Check the powder company for load data in the case something has changed since the manual, and bullet manufacturers websites for information regarding max velocity, etc etc.

Then I typically start at the suggested starting grains. If your bullet isn't in the manual, you can look for the same Grain and Type and it should be similar. Then refer to other sites for guidance. But you should make the final decision on where you feel comfortable starting.

I then keep a little notebook, one that would fit in a pocket, on my bench. Everytime I load, i mark down the bullet used, powder used and grains, and then the OAL.

I really enjoy reloading, but education is the most important part of the job.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #5  
Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 AM
smokindog's Avatar
smokindog smokindog is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Great State of Texas
Posts: 1,832
Likes: 2,050
Liked 1,343 Times in 699 Posts
Default

$13.99 is a deal for the Hornady manual.

Hornady(R) Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, 9th Edition : Cabela's
__________________
Really? U saw it in Wikipedia?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM
samnev's Avatar
samnev samnev is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 210
Likes: 15
Liked 63 Times in 51 Posts
Default

IIRC Lyman now has out the 50th edition.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-10-2017, 09:31 AM
kornax kornax is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 37
Likes: 6
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnev View Post
IIRC Lyman now has out the 50th edition.
Just looked it up. They sure do! I'll probably wait a few editions before I get a new one.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-10-2017, 09:45 AM
jmcghee jmcghee is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Castle, Delaware
Posts: 191
Likes: 17
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Default plunk test

Do a search for the plunk test. This is an important part of OAL when loading for an an auto. The rounds have to also fit in your mags. Suggest a few dummy rounds to check function in your shield. All the powder manufactures have websites with recipes. After dummy rounds, load a few, and start with their starting load ,check operation. If they cycle and eject your good to go. If not add add more powder. Never exceed their max published load. Have fun be safe
__________________
Jim McGhee
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-10-2017, 11:35 AM
at_liberty at_liberty is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: upstate South Carolina
Posts: 1,014
Likes: 19
Liked 474 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubenjs1 View Post
Looking for some advice, does anyone use bayou bullets, I am looking to use either the 200gr SWC or RN hi-tek coated with bullseye powder, does anyone know of a good combination for charge size and O.A.L. I will be shooting these through a shield 45. Thank you.
You would be better off using .451 plated round nose until you are proficient with the basics. The larger diameter and SWC profile are asking for bullet and die issues before you even get off the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-10-2017, 12:08 PM
gwpercle's Avatar
gwpercle gwpercle is online now
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 2,720
Likes: 1,098
Liked 1,881 Times in 1,049 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubenjs1 View Post
Looking for some advice, does anyone use bayou bullets, I am looking to use either the 200gr SWC or RN hi-tek coated with bullseye powder, does anyone know of a good combination for charge size and O.A.L. I will be shooting these through a shield 45. Thank you.
This is a middle of the road load, between minimum and maximum, and I've used it to win a bullseye match trophy.

200 grain cast SWC over 4.3 grains of Bullseye for 750 fps.
I don't have an OAL , I just seat the bullet until it chambers in my pistol...thats what counts, it has to fit .
Hope this helps. Get a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and double check that I'm giving you correct information...
Always check loads with published data, you can't be too safe or too cautious in this hobby.
Load safe....Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; 05-10-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #11  
Old 05-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Dubenjs1 Dubenjs1 is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

All good info, I do have the Lee manual coming in tomorrow with my lee classic turret kit. I think starting with the .451 plated routdoor nose would be a good place to start. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #12  
Old 05-10-2017, 01:02 PM
fredj338's Avatar
fredj338 fredj338 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kalif. usa
Posts: 4,234
Likes: 822
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,174 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubenjs1 View Post
All good info, I do have the Lee manual coming in tomorrow with my lee classic turret kit. I think starting with the .451 plated routdoor nose would be a good place to start. Thank you very much.
Plated & coated bullets are really just soft lead bullets w/.well a coating or plating. So IMO, you load them as a lead bullet, which means you also want them 0.001" larger than jacketed. So if going plated, use 0.452" in your 45acp.
__________________
NRA Cert. Inst. IDPA CSO
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-10-2017, 02:17 PM
at_liberty at_liberty is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: upstate South Carolina
Posts: 1,014
Likes: 19
Liked 474 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Plated & coated bullets are really just soft lead bullets w/.well a coating or plating. So IMO, you load them as a lead bullet, which means you also want them 0.001" larger than jacketed. So if going plated, use 0.452" in your 45acp.
All the dies except RCBS Cowboy are calibrated to .451 standard. The minute you introduce a larger diameter bullet, reloading gets more complicated.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-10-2017, 03:11 PM
fredj338's Avatar
fredj338 fredj338 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kalif. usa
Posts: 4,234
Likes: 822
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,174 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
All the dies except RCBS Cowboy are calibrated to .451 standard. The minute you introduce a larger diameter bullet, reloading gets more complicated.
Not really. I have been using std dies for decades loading 0.452" bullets in 45acp & 0.357" bullets in 9mm. DOn't over think this stuff.
__________________
NRA Cert. Inst. IDPA CSO
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #15  
Old 05-10-2017, 04:01 PM
JHB51 JHB51 is online now
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 337
Likes: 81
Liked 45 Times in 21 Posts
Default

A little more flair does wonders or use a Lyman M expander die.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-10-2017, 04:33 PM
at_liberty at_liberty is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: upstate South Carolina
Posts: 1,014
Likes: 19
Liked 474 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB51 View Post
A little more flair does wonders or use a Lyman M expander die.
See, there you go, starting to compensate for the problems introduced by a fat bullet. Redding has a special sizer, Lyman an expander, and various brand/model preferences in seat and crimp, all to accommodate that larger bullet and the leading issue.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Virginia John Virginia John is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 130
Likes: 6
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
Default

As much as we would like to think so, reloading is not rocket science. Just use good common sense. I love shooting 200gr LSWC sized at .452 and loaded with my standard dies. In fact, this is the most accurate bullet I have found for the .45ACP. I use Bullseye powder but others are cleaner. And I cast my own bullets.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Engineer1911's Avatar
Engineer1911 Engineer1911 is offline
US Veteran
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 4,364
Likes: 4,162
Liked 3,135 Times in 1,523 Posts
Default Case flaring

It doesn't make any difference what bullet diameter you use; 0.450" , 0.451", or 0.452" . The flared case mouth has to accept the base of the bullet. Then there is the issue of consistent case length which causes different amounts of case flare.

Don't over think the problem. Adjust the case flaring die so the shortest case has enough flare to start the largest diameter bullet. Flaring the case mouth does not require 0.0005" accuracy. 0.010" diameter on the edge of the case mouth is more than close enough.

The bullet should enter the flared case mouth at least 0.020" to 0.030" to prevent bullet or case mouth damage when seating bullets.
__________________
S&WCA # 2533, Inactive
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-11-2017, 07:27 AM
at_liberty at_liberty is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: upstate South Carolina
Posts: 1,014
Likes: 19
Liked 474 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer1911 View Post
It doesn't make any difference what bullet diameter you use; 0.450" , 0.451", or 0.452" . The flared case mouth has to accept the base of the bullet. Then there is the issue of consistent case length which causes different amounts of case flare.

Don't over think the problem. Adjust the case flaring die so the shortest case has enough flare to start the largest diameter bullet. Flaring the case mouth does not require 0.0005" accuracy. 0.010" diameter on the edge of the case mouth is more than close enough.

The bullet should enter the flared case mouth at least 0.020" to 0.030" to prevent bullet or case mouth damage when seating bullets.
It does "matter", when the expander is .451 and the bullet is bigger than that. Getting the bullet to stand for seating while automating reloading on a progressive is the real issue. Everything has to be just so. Special dies help, but it would have been simpler with plated or jacketed bullets at standard diameter, matching the dies.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-11-2017, 09:19 AM
LAA LAA is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 448
Likes: 145
Liked 272 Times in 166 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
It does "matter", when the expander is .451 and the bullet is bigger than that. Getting the bullet to stand for seating while automating reloading on a progressive is the real issue. Everything has to be just so. Special dies help, but it would have been simpler with plated or jacketed bullets at standard diameter, matching the dies.
Personally, .451,.4515, and.452 have made no difference, whether loading them on my Dillon 650 Progressive, or single stage press. I have Dillon, Lyman, and Hornady 45 ACP dies.

Berry's & X-treme plated are .452, Sierra .4515, and Hornady's are .451. I've loaded loaded thousands of 45's over time, and they all function.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-11-2017, 01:39 PM
at_liberty at_liberty is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: upstate South Carolina
Posts: 1,014
Likes: 19
Liked 474 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAA View Post
Personally, .451,.4515, and.452 have made no difference, whether loading them on my Dillon 650 Progressive, or single stage press. I have Dillon, Lyman, and Hornady 45 ACP dies.

Berry's & X-treme plated are .452, Sierra .4515, and Hornady's are .451. I've loaded loaded thousands of 45's over time, and they all function.
X-treme offers .451 and .452 in plated 45. Some bullet styles/weights have no option, either one or the other.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-11-2017, 03:04 PM
fredj338's Avatar
fredj338 fredj338 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kalif. usa
Posts: 4,234
Likes: 822
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,174 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
See, there you go, starting to compensate for the problems introduced by a fat bullet. Redding has a special sizer, Lyman an expander, and various brand/model preferences in seat and crimp, all to accommodate that larger bullet and the leading issue.
How does a larger bullet cause leading issues? Usually leading will be caused by a bullet too small, not too big. In plated, you might get by with jacketed dia but IME, accuracy is better treating them like lead & going 0.001" larger.
Not sure what kind of special dies we are talking about here but I have been using circa 1975 RCBS 9mm dies for 40yrs to load on my 550.
__________________
NRA Cert. Inst. IDPA CSO

Last edited by fredj338; 05-11-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-11-2017, 03:14 PM
LAA LAA is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 448
Likes: 145
Liked 272 Times in 166 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
X-treme offers .451 and .452 in plated 45. Some bullet styles/weights have no option, either one or the other.
It's the X-treme 230 RN that I use, which is .452

When I run a large batch of 230g 45 ACP through the Dillon, they're going to be plated X-treme, Berry's or HSM. The X-treme & Berry's are .452. HSM FP 230g are .451 The more expensive jacketed Hornady & Sierra's usually end up on the single stage press.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-11-2017, 04:27 PM
at_liberty at_liberty is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: upstate South Carolina
Posts: 1,014
Likes: 19
Liked 474 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
How does a larger bullet cause leading issues? Usually leading will be caused by a bullet too small, not too big. In plated, you might get by with jacketed dia but IME, accuracy is better treating them like lead & going 0.001" larger.
Not sure what kind of special dies we are talking about here but I have been using circa 1975 RCBS 9mm dies for 40yrs to load on my 550.
Nonsequitur. I didn't say a larger bullet causes leading issues.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-11-2017, 07:25 PM
fredj338's Avatar
fredj338 fredj338 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kalif. usa
Posts: 4,234
Likes: 822
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,174 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
See, there you go, starting to compensate for the problems introduced by a fat bullet. Redding has a special sizer, Lyman an expander, and various brand/model preferences in seat and crimp, all to accommodate that larger bullet and the leading issue.
Sorry, to me this implies you think a larger bullet is causing leading?? What did I miss, Why I asked.
__________________
NRA Cert. Inst. IDPA CSO

Last edited by fredj338; 05-11-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-11-2017, 07:56 PM
at_liberty at_liberty is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: upstate South Carolina
Posts: 1,014
Likes: 19
Liked 474 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Sorry, to me this implies you think a larger bullet is causing leading?? What did I miss, Why I asked.
Perhaps it could have better read "as well as the leading issue", which is always a concern with lead bullets regardless of sizing.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Dubenjs1 Dubenjs1 is offline
Member
First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading First time reloading  
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Got my lee book in today, good info. Looks like I will use 230 gr fmj maybe from zero and use a start with 5 gr bullseye powder with an O.A.L. of 1.260. Looks like that will be a good starting point.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #28  
Old 05-12-2017, 12:55 PM
fredj338's Avatar
fredj338 fredj338 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kalif. usa
Posts: 4,234
Likes: 822
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,174 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubenjs1 View Post
Got my lee book in today, good info. Looks like I will use 230 gr fmj maybe from zero and use a start with 5 gr bullseye powder with an O.A.L. of 1.260. Looks like that will be a good starting point.
Always verify OAL in YOUR gun. Regardless of what the book says, OAL will be bullet & guns specific. So make a dummy round & check I before loading up 100 & finding them 0.010" too long.
__________________
NRA Cert. Inst. IDPA CSO
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best time to buy Reloading equipment ray2849 Reloading 31 11-06-2014 06:35 AM
First time reloading ... Did I do OK? IntenseImage Reloading 13 03-18-2013 12:54 PM
Bad time to get into reloading? espresso junky Reloading 22 01-16-2013 06:24 PM
A good time to take up reloading jrm53 The Lounge 18 01-10-2013 09:05 PM
My Son's First Time At Reloading BruceHMX The Lounge 9 04-23-2010 10:55 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40 PM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)