Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

Reloading All Reloading Topics Go Here


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-23-2020, 07:17 PM
Jwjarrett's Avatar
Jwjarrett Jwjarrett is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Richardson, Texas
Posts: 81
Likes: 138
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Question Any SD Bullets Out There?

I have 1000 pre-primed opportunities coming my way soonish and I have located 250 rds Nosler 150 JHP in .40 S&W. I would like to reload at least half of this brass with SD bullets. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to buy and where?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-23-2020, 07:36 PM
Oldfrt Oldfrt is online now
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 271
Likes: 4
Liked 351 Times in 125 Posts
Default

I have gotten some Hornady XTP'S from Bass Pro and some FTX's from Midway a couple of weeks ago. From looking around a couple days ago, Optics Planet had some stuff available.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-23-2020, 09:46 PM
tlawler's Avatar
tlawler tlawler is offline
US Veteran
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: South West Florida
Posts: 2,694
Likes: 3,310
Liked 6,324 Times in 1,718 Posts
Default

Find a local reloading supply. You don’t list your locale, so I can’t help you there, but I just visited my semi-local guy in the Tampa area today and he has a good stock of SD bullets. He was limiting me to 200 rd of all the lead bullets I’m stocking up on, so I try and get by there at least every couple of weeks. Still no SPP, just LPP & LRP in stock.
__________________
USS Brewton FF1086
DESRON 33
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-23-2020, 09:56 PM
dr. mordo's Avatar
dr. mordo dr. mordo is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,638
Likes: 4,856
Liked 2,830 Times in 993 Posts
Default

If you can't find them locally, just order some cast lead bullets.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-23-2020, 10:11 PM
Cellar Hound Cellar Hound is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 576
Likes: 804
Liked 1,514 Times in 389 Posts
Default

Just purchased .45 ACP, Federal 230GR HST....from Bone Frog....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-23-2020, 10:21 PM
colt_saa's Avatar
colt_saa colt_saa is offline
SWCA Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Posts: 8,810
Likes: 1,617
Liked 15,671 Times in 4,395 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwjarrett View Post
I have 1000 pre-primed opportunities coming my way soonish and I have located 250 rds Nosler 150 JHP in .40 S&W. I would like to reload at least half of this brass with SD bullets. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to buy and where?
You are coming to the Game Late

However, Look to GB

Over the last 3-5 months I have sold about 80,000 jacketed handgun projectiles mostly for 9MM/380, 357/38, 10MM/40 and 45

Most of the JHPs sold off fast.
__________________
"Acta non verba"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-23-2020, 11:07 PM
Jwjarrett's Avatar
Jwjarrett Jwjarrett is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Richardson, Texas
Posts: 81
Likes: 138
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Default Midway

Midway has some Sierra Sig Sauer V-Crown in 165. Those will get me going forward. Those, plus the 250 Nosler 150 JHP.

I've never used lead cast bullets. As you all know, I'm green to reloading. I would need to read up a little.

I always give the locals the first opportunity and check most of them at least once a week. They are tapped out. I can pick up some FMJ in 9mm and every once in a while some FMJ or plated in .40 S&W.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2020, 09:38 PM
Turn4811 Turn4811 is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: NE ATL
Posts: 252
Likes: 58
Liked 215 Times in 114 Posts
Default

That is a tall order in these times. Your best bet is somebody that has a supply that they are sitting on and is willing to sell some off.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #9  
Old 09-24-2020, 10:44 PM
Rogeronimo Rogeronimo is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 202
Likes: 34
Liked 58 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn4811 View Post
That is a tall order in these times. Your best bet is somebody that has a supply that they are sitting on and is willing to sell some off.
You mean like 1000 Hornady .400" 155gr. XTP?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #10  
Old 09-24-2020, 10:58 PM
Jwjarrett's Avatar
Jwjarrett Jwjarrett is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Richardson, Texas
Posts: 81
Likes: 138
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogeronimo View Post
You mean like 1000 Hornady .400" 155gr. XTP?
Private message heading your way.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-24-2020, 11:06 PM
Oracle's Avatar
Oracle Oracle is offline
US Veteran
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Selah, Washington
Posts: 477
Likes: 1,619
Liked 713 Times in 294 Posts
Default

I don't reload (yet), what is a SD bullet?
__________________
U.S. Coast Guard, retired CPO
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-24-2020, 11:16 PM
tominboise tominboise is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boise, Idaho, 83706
Posts: 151
Likes: 138
Liked 174 Times in 72 Posts
Default

I just got a couple thousand Zero bullets delivered from Roze distributing.
__________________
Regards,

Tom
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #13  
Old 09-25-2020, 05:38 AM
BRL40 BRL40 is online now
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Tahuya WA
Posts: 167
Likes: 13
Liked 301 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
I don't reload (yet), what is a SD bullet?
Ain't that "Self Defense"?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #14  
Old 09-25-2020, 07:04 AM
Jwjarrett's Avatar
Jwjarrett Jwjarrett is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Richardson, Texas
Posts: 81
Likes: 138
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
I don't reload (yet), what is a SD bullet?
Self Defense. I should have spelled that out.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-25-2020, 09:00 AM
gwpercle's Avatar
gwpercle gwpercle is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 5,154
Likes: 4,639
Liked 5,232 Times in 2,531 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. mordo View Post
If you can't find them locally, just order some cast lead bullets.
And if you can't find cast lead bullets just order a bullet mould .
A double cavity Lee mould is only $ 18.94 ... make all you want with it . Lead bullets ..." Will Kill "
Gary
__________________
Certified Cajun
NRA Member

Last edited by gwpercle; 09-25-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-27-2020, 10:10 AM
Jwjarrett's Avatar
Jwjarrett Jwjarrett is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Richardson, Texas
Posts: 81
Likes: 138
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Default Casting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
And if you can't find cast lead bullets just order a bullet mould .
A double cavity Lee mould is only $ 18.94 ... make all you want with it . Lead bullets ..." Will Kill "
Gary
Gwpercle and Dr. Mordo, I just spend a lot of time reading about casting, alloys and molds. If I go out and spend $ on this, my wife will use the first ingot on my head as I try to explain how much more economical it is

Seriously, that's a good, old school alternative. Arguably, $150.00 would set you up with a mold, sizer, lube, melting pot and lead for the first 600 bullets at .25 per bullet. The next batch would be around .09 per bullet if you purchased lead ingots.

I searched this forum and saw some info on casting. I haven't had time to read much of it. I can see that there needs to be an understanding about lead hardness, alloys, reload data, prevention of barrel leading, pro's/cons and techniques of powder coating, and so on.

Now I already want a set of MD hollow point molds... Look what you have started!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-27-2020, 10:55 AM
Johnrh Johnrh is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 135
Likes: 155
Liked 115 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Go here. Cast Boolits Everything you need to know, and then some. Getting lead on your own, well, that's another story but you can find it there too.

Good luck on your new adventure.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #18  
Old 09-27-2020, 10:56 AM
lrrifleman's Avatar
lrrifleman lrrifleman is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 4,029
Likes: 12,801
Liked 3,287 Times in 1,504 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
And if you can't find cast lead bullets just order a bullet mould .
A double cavity Lee mould is only $ 18.94 ... make all you want with it . Lead bullets ..." Will Kill "
Gary
Casting is a little more involved than this!

Look at your Lee mold as the affordable mould. If I were starting to cast, I would go the poly coated route. First, get a dedicated toaster oven (used only for baking the coated bullets), a Lee sizing die, and some poly coating powder from Harbor Freight. Your start up investment would be about $70, depending on your shopping methods. You can buy ingots online, or you can use clip-on wheel weights. A casting furnace can be expensive, consider using a melting pot, a ladle, and a Coleman-style (white gas or propane) camp stove, something you may already have.

If you do polycoat your bullets, don't drop them in cold water (called quench casting), just drop them into an old towel to let them cool.

If you cast, make sure that you do it outdoors!
__________________
Judge control not gun control!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #19  
Old 09-27-2020, 08:09 PM
Jwjarrett's Avatar
Jwjarrett Jwjarrett is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Richardson, Texas
Posts: 81
Likes: 138
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrifleman View Post
Casting is a little more involved than this!

Look at your Lee mold as the affordable mould. If I were starting to cast, I would go the poly coated route. First, get a dedicated toaster oven (used only for baking the coated bullets), a Lee sizing die, and some poly coating powder from Harbor Freight. Your start up investment would be about $70, depending on your shopping methods. You can buy ingots online, or you can use clip-on wheel weights. A casting furnace can be expensive, consider using a melting pot, a ladle, and a Coleman-style (white gas or propane) camp stove, something you may already have.

If you do polycoat your bullets, don't drop them in cold water (called quench casting), just drop them into an old towel to let them cool.

If you cast, make sure that you do it outdoors!
what is accomplished by coating?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-27-2020, 08:30 PM
lrrifleman's Avatar
lrrifleman lrrifleman is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 4,029
Likes: 12,801
Liked 3,287 Times in 1,504 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwjarrett View Post
what is accomplished by coating?
By powder coating, you eliminate the need to apply bullet lube, which reduces "smokey" ammo. Also, by powder coating, you eliminate the need for a very expensive lubri-sizer, plus the corresponding H & I dies. A Lee bullet sizer can be had for about $25 per bullet family, versus at least $150 for the lubri-sizer, maybe $30 per bullet diameter, and $10-15 for each top punch.

Powder coating can be had from Harbor Freight for under $10 a bottle, and other name brand powder coating powder may run about $20 a pound. Your start up cost will be significantly less.
__________________
Judge control not gun control!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #21  
Old 09-27-2020, 09:30 PM
Jwjarrett's Avatar
Jwjarrett Jwjarrett is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Richardson, Texas
Posts: 81
Likes: 138
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrifleman View Post
By powder coating, you eliminate the need to apply bullet lube, which reduces "smokey" ammo. Also, by powder coating, you eliminate the need for a very expensive lubri-sizer, plus the corresponding H & I dies. A Lee bullet sizer can be had for about $25 per bullet family, versus at least $150 for the lubri-sizer, maybe $30 per bullet diameter, and $10-15 for each top punch.

Powder coating can be had from Harbor Freight for under $10 a bottle, and other name brand powder coating powder may run about $20 a pound. Your start up cost will be significantly less.
I'm going to have to read up on this. It's hard for me to wrap my head around using basically paint pigments as a substitute for lube.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-28-2020, 03:16 PM
Johnrh Johnrh is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 135
Likes: 155
Liked 115 Times in 60 Posts
Default

On that Cast Bollits site i mentiioned above go to Coatings and Alternatives for all you want to know about powder coating. Then go to this guys thread for coatings. VS - Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder For sale I tried PC'ing with his powders and BB's and it worked great.

My experience is that it worked great to stop leading in my 40. I have a bunch of 38's now ready for loading but haven't tried them yet but i also get no leading in any revolvers so for me it's not worth the extra work. One thing to watch is humidity, PC doesn't like it but so far in NC I haven't seen any problems with his powders. I actually enjoyed it, somewhat. The bullets sure look purdy.

A lot of guys like to stand them all on end. I got real tired of that and used a sheet of non-stick AL foil and just dumped them in and spread them out. Some will stick together but the spot they leave is so small I don't care. And it went much faster.

A pound of this stuff goes a LONG way. Pick out your favorite color and go for it.

Last edited by Johnrh; 09-28-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #23  
Old 09-28-2020, 08:50 PM
Jwjarrett's Avatar
Jwjarrett Jwjarrett is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Richardson, Texas
Posts: 81
Likes: 138
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrh View Post
On that Cast Bollits site i mentiioned above go to Coatings and Alternatives for all you want to know about powder coating. Then go to this guys thread for coatings. VS - Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder For sale I tried PC'ing with his powders and BB's and it worked great.

My experience is that it worked great to stop leading in my 40. I have a bunch of 38's now ready for loading but haven't tried them yet but i also get no leading in any revolvers so for me it's not worth the extra work. One thing to watch is humidity, PC doesn't like it but so far in NC I haven't seen any problems with his powders. I actually enjoyed it, somewhat. The bullets sure look purdy.

A lot of guys like to stand them all on end. I got real tired of that and used a sheet of non-stick AL foil and just dumped them in and spread them out. Some will stick together but the spot they leave is so small I don't care. And it went much faster.

A pound of this stuff goes a LONG way. Pick out your favorite color and go for it.
Thanks for the info and links! I'll spend some time reading the posts when I have a chance. Quick question. Do you resize after PC? I would think yes, but not sure.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-28-2020, 08:55 PM
lrrifleman's Avatar
lrrifleman lrrifleman is offline
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 4,029
Likes: 12,801
Liked 3,287 Times in 1,504 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwjarrett View Post
Thanks for the info and links! I'll spend some time reading the posts when I have a chance. Quick question. Do you resize after PC? I would think yes, but not sure.
You resize after baking the PC. You don't need a lubri-sizer for this sizing, you just can use a Lee sizing die.
__________________
Judge control not gun control!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #25  
Old 09-28-2020, 09:17 PM
AlHunt AlHunt is online now
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,418
Likes: 3,055
Liked 1,538 Times in 702 Posts
Default

Something like this puppy:
402-165 TC Hollow Point Mold (Multi Choice) - No lube groove ~ MP-molds

Cast your own hollow point, powder coat it and never need a jacketed bullet again. I can push .223 powder coat and gas check pretty hard (no chrono) without issues.
__________________
Freedom Is Not A "Loophole"
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-28-2020, 09:41 PM
AlHunt AlHunt is online now
Member
Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There? Any SD Bullets Out There?  
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,418
Likes: 3,055
Liked 1,538 Times in 702 Posts
Default

Here's the method I use to powder coat:

__________________
Freedom Is Not A "Loophole"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: S&W Vapor Paper and .38 / .357 Cast Bullets (Bullets are Sold) ADP3 Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 0 08-26-2018 01:26 PM
Lead lubed bullets compared with Hi Tek coated bullets Nightowl Reloading 22 01-05-2018 02:33 PM
FS/FT: Missouri Bullets .45ACP Bullets. 230gr, LRN - St. Louis area. Jeff423 Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 0 10-10-2017 10:19 PM
pc'd bullets vs traditional cast/sized/lubed bullets Forrest r Reloading 63 02-07-2016 10:12 AM
WTB: Remington 38cal 148gr HBWC bullets - Have Star bullets to trade! Black_Talon WANTED to Buy 1 09-09-2011 09:38 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)