Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

Notices

S&W Antiques S&W Lever Action Pistols, Tip-Up Revolvers, Top-Break Revolvers, and ALL Single Shots


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-28-2020, 04:33 PM
wv109323 wv109323 is offline
Member
Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lenore WV
Posts: 35
Likes: 2
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Default Parts

Does anyone specialize in parts for the old Smiths. I have a friend that needs the hammer spring for a model 1 1/2. It is old enough that it does not have a trigger guard.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-28-2020, 10:12 PM
BMur BMur is offline
Member
Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: California
Posts: 916
Likes: 358
Liked 1,272 Times in 544 Posts
Default More specific

Early model 32 Rimfire tip up?
Or later model 32 Centerfire top break?

Murph
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-29-2020, 12:05 AM
iby iby is offline
Member
Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 306
Likes: 363
Liked 235 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMur View Post
Early model 32 Rimfire tip up?
Or later model 32 Centerfire top break?

Murph
No trigger guard
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-29-2020, 01:23 AM
opoefc opoefc is offline
US Veteran
Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 9,571
Likes: 2,393
Liked 4,875 Times in 2,131 Posts
Default

Welcome to the Forum. Yes, there are several sources of parts for older S&Ws, but we need better info. from you ( as will the parts dealers as to exactly which S&W revolver your friend has.) Can you post pictures? Serial number? Patents dates stamped on the barrels? The part you are describing as a "hammer spring" is actually called the "main spring" on parts lists. I would not suggest buying one taken from an old gun as it has 150 yrs of time to weaken and may not last long. Better to buy a newly made spring or have a gunsmith make a new spring from modern spring stock. they are simple springs , very easy to make. Good luck, Ed
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #5  
Old 05-29-2020, 01:25 AM
BMur BMur is offline
Member
Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: California
Posts: 916
Likes: 358
Liked 1,272 Times in 544 Posts
Default Both lack a trigger guard

Iby,
Both the early 1 1/2 .32 rimfire tip up single action revolver and the later model 1 1/2 “top break “ .32 centerfire Single action revolver lack a trigger guard. I’m not talking about a double action? So you tell me... which one is the OP talking about?

Murph

Last edited by BMur; 05-29-2020 at 01:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #6  
Old 05-29-2020, 01:07 PM
Wiregrassguy's Avatar
Wiregrassguy Wiregrassguy is offline
SWCA Member
Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ashford, AL
Posts: 4,508
Likes: 18,607
Liked 5,058 Times in 1,837 Posts
Default

Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Jack First Gun Parts – Jack First Inc. should have what you are looking for.
__________________
Guy
SWHF #474
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-29-2020, 10:32 PM
mmaher94087 mmaher94087 is offline
SWCA Member
Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,523
Likes: 4
Liked 1,379 Times in 773 Posts
Default Parts

The correct Model would help. The trial-and-error method will work but may take longer.
__________________
Mike Maher #283

Last edited by mmaher94087; 05-30-2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: word
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-2020, 10:24 PM
wv109323 wv109323 is offline
Member
Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lenore WV
Posts: 35
Likes: 2
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Default

The pistol is not a .32 caliber ,it is a .38 5 shot. I am apparently mistaken on the model number. . Originally nickel with wood grips about a 4"barrel. It is a single action without the trigger guard. Serial number is 43859. The pistol needs the main spring. Somekne suggested Jack First but he could not help me about a year ago. Any other sources?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-04-2020, 11:35 PM
iby iby is offline
Member
Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 306
Likes: 363
Liked 235 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Although this is THE Smith & Wesson Forum, You have a much better chance of being struck by lightning than getting a part here
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-05-2020, 12:22 AM
delcrossv's Avatar
delcrossv delcrossv is offline
SWCA Member
Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 2,643
Likes: 4,597
Liked 6,178 Times in 1,641 Posts
Default

Here's a few to try- Courtesy of Jim (Hondo44)

‘Guns & Gun Parts’ (Recommended by S&W)
(413) 732-9938
983 Westfield St
West Springfield MA 01089-3813
EMAIL: info@gunsnparts.com
Guns n Parts - New and Used Guns Bought and Sold. no parts list here.

"Aonepawninc" http://stores.ebay.com/aonepawninc
has a bunch of old S&W parts for sale. I just ordered a complete hammer for my pre model 30 from them. They are very customer oriented and have very reasonable prices. 1/10/16

Dave Bennett: Parts and guns from 1900 up to 1970's.
e-Mail: 22ammobox@pnpa.net
Web Site: www.22ammobox.com

Jim Horvath: Many parts for all S&W's (large and small) from 1860 up;
can reproduce parts.
e-Mail: driftdive56@aol.com

Jeff Lee: Lee's Gun Parts (an extensive supply of gun parts, including S&W)Mike who works for Lee has 45 M25 barrels.
(Open to the public on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays).
3401 W. Pioneer, Suite 2, Irving, TX 75061
Phone: 972-790-0773
Lee's Gun Parts

Jan Matlega: Parts for Pre-WWII S&W hand-ejectors.
Mail Address: 528 Eddy Glover
New Britain, CT 06053
Phone: 860-229-6872

Poppert's Gun Parts: Poppert's Gun Parts Main Menu
P.O. Box 413
Glenside, PA 19038
Tel: 215-887-2391 Fax: 215-887-5816
Email: sales@poppertsgunparts.com

Charlie Pate: Provides screws (original & reproduction) for S&W Tip-ups and Top-breaks; author of books and articles on S&W guns.
Phone: 703-533-8057
e-Mail: cpate4@cox.net

Phil Saccacio: Phone: 540-456-6405
e-Mail: blueridgecollectibles@worldnet.att.com

Dave Szilagy: Manufactures parts for older S&W's.
Mail Address: 3107 Electric, Lincoln Park, MI 48146
e-Mail: shalgs@mi-web.com

Mike Veilleux: Guns and Gun Parts
All Parts inc. for Pre- and Post-WWII S&W's.
Phone: 413-732-9938
e-Mail: gunsnparts@aol.com
Web Site: Guns n Parts - New and Used Guns Bought and Sold.

S&W Parts; antique and new
jhrogers@sprintmail.com
Ph: 352 394-7412

"Schludershots"
[url=https://www.schludershots.com/[/url]
__________________
__________________
SWCA #3356, SWHF#611
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #11  
Old 06-05-2020, 05:08 AM
murphydog's Avatar
murphydog murphydog is offline
Moderator
Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21,223
Likes: 81
Liked 11,313 Times in 6,154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
The pistol is not a .32 caliber ,it is a .38 5 shot. I am apparently mistaken on the model number. . Originally nickel with wood grips about a 4"barrel. It is a single action without the trigger guard. Serial number is 43859. The pistol needs the main spring. Someone suggested Jack First but he could not help me about a year ago. Any other sources?
Based on your description and the serial number, it appears your friend has a .38 Single Action 2nd model. The 1st model serial numbers didn't go to the 43000s and the 3rd model has a trigger guard. Good luck in your part search.
__________________
Alan
SWCA 2023, SWHF 220
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #12  
Old 06-05-2020, 10:03 AM
glowe's Avatar
glowe glowe is offline
US Veteran

Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan Western UP
Posts: 9,473
Likes: 1,117
Liked 6,817 Times in 3,147 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
The pistol is not a .32 caliber ,it is a .38 5 shot. I am apparently mistaken on the model number. . Originally nickel with wood grips about a 4"barrel. It is a single action without the trigger guard. Serial number is 43859. The pistol needs the main spring. Somekne suggested Jack First but he could not help me about a year ago. Any other sources?
Still no pictures?? Now the question is whether it is a single or double action revolver? Most S&W models started with serial number "1", so there is a 38 Single Action and a 38 Double Action revolver with your serial number, but probably different mainsprings. As you saw, and I keep trying to help others by first using the collector names for these revolvers. The spur trigger 32 should be simply called a 32 Single Action revolver, not a Model 1 1/2 since there were two models with that name. The 38 spur trigger guns were often called a Model 2, but since there were also two models named the same, collectors use the terms 38 Single Action (spur trigger) and 38 Double Action and it helps a lot.

So . . . you can often make a mainspring for these smaller top-break revolvers from an I frame Model 1903 or maybe even a K frame spring. It will have to be cut or ground, but can be fashioned to work in a small frame revolver by reducing the width and length to match the broken spring. Only thing that needs to be checked is that if properly fits the stirrup at the top of the spring. Grinding and cutting generate heat, so care must be taken to not overheat the piece. Constant quenching is the key to success.
__________________
Gary
SWCA 2515
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #13  
Old 06-05-2020, 12:42 PM
iby iby is offline
Member
Parts Parts Parts Parts Parts  
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 306
Likes: 363
Liked 235 Times in 106 Posts
Default parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
Here's a few to try- Courtesy of Jim (Hondo44)

‘Guns & Gun Parts’ (Recommended by S&W)
(413) 732-9938
983 Westfield St
West Springfield MA 01089-3813
EMAIL: info@gunsnparts.com
Guns n Parts - New and Used Guns Bought and Sold. no parts list here.

"Aonepawninc" http://stores.ebay.com/aonepawninc
has a bunch of old S&W parts for sale. I just ordered a complete hammer for my pre model 30 from them. They are very customer oriented and have very reasonable prices. 1/10/16

Dave Bennett: Parts and guns from 1900 up to 1970's.
e-Mail: 22ammobox@pnpa.net
Web Site: www.22ammobox.com

Jim Horvath: Many parts for all S&W's (large and small) from 1860 up;
can reproduce parts.
e-Mail: driftdive56@aol.com

Jeff Lee: Lee's Gun Parts (an extensive supply of gun parts, including S&W)Mike who works for Lee has 45 M25 barrels.
(Open to the public on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays).
3401 W. Pioneer, Suite 2, Irving, TX 75061
Phone: 972-790-0773
Lee's Gun Parts

Jan Matlega: Parts for Pre-WWII S&W hand-ejectors.
Mail Address: 528 Eddy Glover
New Britain, CT 06053
Phone: 860-229-6872

Poppert's Gun Parts: Poppert's Gun Parts Main Menu
P.O. Box 413
Glenside, PA 19038
Tel: 215-887-2391 Fax: 215-887-5816
Email: sales@poppertsgunparts.com

Charlie Pate: Provides screws (original & reproduction) for S&W Tip-ups and Top-breaks; author of books and articles on S&W guns.
Phone: 703-533-8057
e-Mail: cpate4@cox.net

Phil Saccacio: Phone: 540-456-6405
e-Mail: blueridgecollectibles@worldnet.att.com

Dave Szilagy: Manufactures parts for older S&W's.
Mail Address: 3107 Electric, Lincoln Park, MI 48146
e-Mail: shalgs@mi-web.com

Mike Veilleux: Guns and Gun Parts
All Parts inc. for Pre- and Post-WWII S&W's.
Phone: 413-732-9938
e-Mail: gunsnparts@aol.com
Web Site: Guns n Parts - New and Used Guns Bought and Sold.

S&W Parts; antique and new
jhrogers@sprintmail.com
Ph: 352 394-7412

"Schludershots"
[url=https://www.schludershots.com/[/url]
__________________

Thank you.
Outstanding!!!
Mike
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WITHDRAWN *****SAT*Misc Parts*Magazines*Colt Parts*38 SPEED LOADERS**BROCHURES buffalo4star Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 25 01-23-2020 10:50 AM
SPF Model 52-2 parts lot (1 full slide, 2 barrels, 1 set of grips, many other parts) dacoontz Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 0 08-08-2015 01:19 PM
ALL SOLD - Drago Bag, Magpul BUIS, MOE parts, 15-22 A2/Tacticool Parts 78Staff Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 7 10-08-2014 06:17 PM
Vintage J-Frame Parts: Flat Latch, Bolts, Screws and most internal parts usnrigger Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 7 01-18-2014 01:19 PM
Mosin Nagant parts for sale,h&k epidemic knife, ruger 10/22 parts joey81 Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 2 06-27-2012 07:22 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)