Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961
o

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Help Please - Info on a 32 LONG CTG pistol Help Please - Info on a 32 LONG CTG pistol Help Please - Info on a 32 LONG CTG pistol Help Please - Info on a 32 LONG CTG pistol Help Please - Info on a 32 LONG CTG pistol  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help Please - Info on a 32 LONG CTG pistol

Hello - New to the forum so forgive me if I am posing my question the wrong way, or in the wrong thread. I tried another thread but had no luck. What I am looking for is some help gathering information on a gun that I own. Here is what I have:

32 LONG CTG pistol, serial #3159XX
, in pretty much perfect condition. Want to identify the usual stuff such as year of manufacture and estimated value should I choose to sell or trade.

Once again I apologize for being such a novice at the ways of the forum. If I should be asking my question somewhere else please let me know so that I can delete this one. Thank you in advance for any information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 ctg pic 2.jpg (46.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 32 CTG.jpg (67.9 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by arizona32; 03-29-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Add definition
Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 PM
SWCA Member
Help Please - Info on a 32 LONG CTG pistol Help Please - Info on a 32 LONG CTG pistol Help Please - Info on a 32 LONG CTG pistol Help Please - Info on a 32 LONG CTG pistol Help Please - Info on a 32 LONG CTG pistol  
Liked 7,681 Times in 2,618 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a .32 Regulation Police. The serial number suggests the gun was shipped in 1919-1920. Check the inside of the right stock panel and see if there is an impressed or penciled number that matches the serial number of the gun. If so, the stocks are original to the gun and by their design also point to the 1920s. (During the 1920s S&W stocks had no medallions on them; before and after that, except for wartime contract production, they did.)

The Regulation Police is for all practical purposes the same as the basic .32 Hand Ejector, but with a square butt to make it more comfortable for larger hands. The basic .32 HE has a round butt. The Regulation Police was introduced in 1917. There should be a June 5, 1917 patent date on the bottom of one panel. That patent is for the design of the stocks and the frame that allow larger square butt stocks to be mounted on a round butt frame. There is a shallow step (or "rebate") in the lower portion of the backstrap into which a wedge of wood from the stocks will fit. This design prevents the wood from becoming wafer thin where it tapers to meet the steel, thus preventing chipping or splitting.

There are lots of RPs, but not all are in a condition anywhere near as good as yours appears to be. I could see a collector going to $600 or more for that one, if the finish is original. I can't quite tell from the photos, but there is a chance that this one has been refinished at some point. A shooter-grade or refinished RP is probably a $350-400 gun, depending on geography and local demand.

Last edited by DCWilson; 03-29-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Add stuff about stocks and refinishing.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

this is the regular roundbutt 32 hand ejector, these are great guns to collect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0505.jpg (132.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0506.jpg (130.8 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

Thanks for sharing the information and photos gentlemen, much appreciated.

I took off the panels and did not see any markings, however as Mr. Wilson mentioned I did see "June 5, 1917" stamped on the bottom.

I have attached a few more pics since my first two were pretty poor quality as they were taken with my cell phone. I have never fired the gun - got if from my Grandfather over 25 years ago, and when he had it it just sat in a night stand for God knows how long.

I thank you for your input, now I do not have to worry so much about getting taken to the cleaners when I intend to sell or swap the gun.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 ctg pic 1.jpg (88.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 32 ctg pic 2.jpg (53.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 32 ctg pic 3.jpg (87.2 KB, 105 views)
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 6,393 Times in 1,311 Posts

The first picture of the right side gave the appearance of it being
refinished, but from these latest pictures, I think the finish is original.
It really looks very nice - from these pictures.

One of the important aspects of the Regulation Police guns is what we
call the rebated backstrap. From the rear of the gun, you see the
upper half of the rear grip frame; the low half is covered with wood
from the grip. With the grips off, you see a change in the contour
of the rear grip strap; this is what we mean by rebated.

Mike Priwer
Old 03-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the additional input Mike! Interesting stuff.

Other than my old Remington 870 shotgun that I used for ducking hunting growing up I am a complete green-horn when it comes to fire arms. My intention was to trade the S&W for another shotgun to give to my son, but I did not know what I should, or should not, take for the S&W on a trade. The information that you and others have provided will certainly help out.
Thanks.

Last edited by arizona32; 03-29-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: unecessary
Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Liked 9,325 Times in 4,182 Posts

Arizona32,

If I were anywhere near Tempe instead of clear across the country in VA, I'd be dragging a nice shotgun out of the safe and giving you a call. That is a sweet little I-frame. My one caution to you would be to think long and hard before giving up a family gun (even one that served by being silently available by the bed for years! ) Once it is gone, it would be very unlikely to be available to get back... I know I wouldn't want to let a primo piece like that out of my possession once I got it. Good luck with your decision!

Regards,
Froggie
Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,681 Times in 2,618 Posts

Arizona, your later photos provide a much clearer picture of the gun. Like Mike, I do not believe it is refinished. You have an excellent early .32 Regulation Police.

I don't think I would sell it, but it is your choice. If you do sell it, don't let anyone talk you down from what it is worth. Go to Gunbroker and do some research on .32 Regulation Police revolvers. The best ones (as yours is) go for quite decent prices.

Last edited by DCWilson; 03-30-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Many thanks.

Thanks again to all of you. I really appreciate the insight, expertise and suggestions. I know 100% more about the gun than I did 24 hours ago - now you guys have me thinking twice about giving it up, at least not for the right price, and not without doing my homework.

Arizona32
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 ctg 4.jpg (74.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 32 ctg 5.jpg (52.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 32 ctg 6.jpg (66.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 32 ctg 7.jpg (47.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 32 ctg 8.jpg (45.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-30-2011, 05:23 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,511 Times in 8,548 Posts

I would not sell that beauty, it's a priceless family heirloom especially in that condition! Think of the joy it will give to your offspring to still have it in the family generations from now. The finsih is such a perfect example of old world craftsmanship....I can see your camera in it!!
S&WCA #819
Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Liked 2,104 Times in 629 Posts

Those are desirable little revolvers. I am sure there are many members here who would love to own one as nice as that. When you do your research, try to get a feel for how well made these S&W's from that era are. Guns like this are hard to come by in that condition, and you may find a new appreciation for it. I say hold on to it and find something else around the house to sell.

Cap
Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 AM
US Veteran
Liked 22,313 Times in 8,245 Posts

That last batch of pictures pretty well established that it is not refinished, and has original finish. That's a really nice specimen. If you do decide to sell it (I wouldn't ) please list it here on the forum under want to sell adds.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Richard View Post
That last batch of pictures pretty well established that it is not refinished, and has original finish. That's a really nice specimen. If you do decide to sell it (I wouldn't ) please list it here on the forum under want to sell adds.
Thanks Richard. I am contemplating putting it up for sale on the S&W Forum, but I have to be honest with you, I have no idea what would be a reasonable price to ask for it LOL. I have looked around at some of the other online sources and auctions to try to get an idea what is fair price, but have yet to find the exact same gun to compare it to. But that might be my ignorance of guns (pistols anyway) coming through. I very well may be looking at something very similar and not know it. The closest thing, I believe, that I did come across over at Gunbrokers was someone selling a "Used Smith & Wesson Military & Police in 32-20 caliber with 4" barrel", asking price was $1175.00, with no bidders.

With all the positive feeback the pictures have received I will probably be in no rush to sell unless someone makes an offer that I would be foolish to pass up. So I guess for now it goes back into the safe in an unused Glock case.

Thanks again to all of you for your reviews, comments and suggestions. It sure does pay to do ones homework, prior to joining the forum, and learning what I did, I would have handed the gun over for $300 if someone pressed it into my hand. You can thank yourselves for preventing that!

Thanks,
Arizona32
Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 PM
SWCA Member

You'll need to go to the "Completed Auctions" to find out what they've sold for, not what seller's are asking for them.
S&WCA #819
Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
You'll need to go to the "Completed Auctions" to find out what they've sold for, not what seller's are asking for them.
Thanks Jim, didn't know to check "Completed Auctions" - will do.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Liked 9,325 Times in 4,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona32 View Post
Thanks Richard. I am contemplating putting it up for sale on the S&W Forum, but I have to be honest with you, I have no idea what would be a reasonable price to ask for it LOL. I have looked around at some of the other online sources and auctions to try to get an idea what is fair price, but have yet to find the exact same gun to compare it to. But that might be my ignorance of guns (pistols anyway) coming through. I very well may be looking at something very similar and not know it. The closest thing, I believe, that I did come across over at Gunbrokers was someone selling a "Used Smith & Wesson Military & Police in 32-20 caliber with 4" barrel", asking price was $1175.00, with no bidders.

With all the positive feeback the pictures have received I will probably be in no rush to sell unless someone makes an offer that I would be foolish to pass up. So I guess for now it goes back into the safe in an unused Glock case.

Thanks again to all of you for your reviews, comments and suggestions. It sure does pay to do ones homework, prior to joining the forum, and learning what I did, I would have handed the gun over for $300 if someone pressed it into my hand. You can thank yourselves for preventing that!

Thanks,
Arizona32
Dadgum! I was just getting ready to hop into my old Blazer with a thermos of coffee and two Slim Jim sausages for the trip and three crispy new $100 bills to offer you for it.

Seriously, I think you are doing the right thing to go slowly, and if you have any love of firearms at all, that primo piece that has a family history is more valuable to you and yours than it would be to anybody else, even though the right person will think it is much too valuable to let you keep it. Don't take their first offer!

Regards,
Froggie
Old 03-30-2011, 10:56 PM
US Veteran
Help Please - Info on a 32 LONG CTG pistol  
Liked 2,270 Times in 285 Posts

Wow, what a nice original specimen. Most of us here would LOVE to own this gun but are far too better of gentlemen than to contact you and try to talk you out of it.

Keep the gun . . . it is a special family heirloom . . . and make sure it is inherited by someone in your family that will appreciate and care for your revolver like your grandfather did. It is a wonderful link to the past.

Thanks for sharing!

Tom
Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 AM
SWCA Member

The top left gun with pearl grips in the photo below is a .32 HE Mod 1903-5th change, 1915, 3 1/4", 'I' frame, factory pearl grips with gold medallions just like pictured inside the flip top lid of its original brown box (not shown). It was given to me by my grandfather. He purchased it brand new in New York City in 1915 for his protection while going to and from work at nite. He played a trombone in Jimmy Dorsey's band and carried it in the breast pocket of his suit jacket. My dad would sneak it out and look at it in between when his father took him shooting and hunting.

It's in 99% condition. Grandfather 1st let me shoot it when I was 10 years old. When he gave it to me it was my 1st and only Smith and Wesson or firearm for many years. I have over 2 dozen S&Ws in every caliber and size, and over 200 firearms but it's still my most cherished firearm. It began my passion for the small frame S&W 22s and 32s. It will go to my grandson's father and then to my grandson. They already thank me for keeping it all these years and relatives appreciate knowing about it, the story of it and that it still resides in the family.

Other than a lot of photos and some jewelry & watch, and a bible, it is the only tangible item remaining that was actually owned by my grandfather. It will see its 5th generation of ownership when my grandson receives it. What else can I say?

S&WCA #819
Old 04-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Liked 58,607 Times in 9,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom turner View Post
Wow, what a nice original specimen. Most of us here would LOVE to own this gun but are far too better of gentlemen than to contact you and try to talk you out of it.
Keep the gun . . . it is a special family heirloom . . . and make sure it is inherited by someone in your family that will appreciate and care for your revolver like your grandfather did. It is a wonderful link to the past.

Thanks for sharing!

Tom
What Tom says....I got a .32 HE that my first intention was to turn quickly for a little profit but every time I take it out-it kinda grows on me.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for the photos and the history Jim. That is a very cool legacy behind your Grandfather's gun. I have a young son too, maybe I need to keep history in mind before letting go of my 32, seems appropriate given that I was a major in History (WWII and Cold War) here at ASU. GO Devils!

Thanks again to all of you for input. This is a great site/forum
Old 04-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for the photos and the history Jim. That is a very cool legacy behind your Grandfather's gun. I have a young son too, maybe I need to keep history in mind before letting go of my 32, seems appropriate given that I was a major in History (WWII and Cold War) here at ASU. GO Devils!

Thanks again to all of you for input. This is a great site/forum

Tags
ejector, glock, hand ejector, military, remington, round butt, sile, smith and wesson, wwii