Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961
o

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Looking for help Looking for help Looking for help Looking for help Looking for help  
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Looking for help

I have an old S&W revolver with .38 SPECIAL & U.S. Service CTG on the left side of the barrel. Under the barrel, on the ejector and under the grip on the frame is the number 117. The serial number on the bottom of the grip is 104927. There is a "Z" on the inside of the cylinder and some letters just behind the trigger guard starting with SP?? the rest is worn off. What is it and how old? Thanks for any info.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:56 PM
SWCA Member
Looking for help Looking for help Looking for help Looking for help Looking for help  
Liked 7,678 Times in 2,616 Posts

Welcome to the forum. What you are describing is probably a .38 Military and Police Third Model (or Model of 1905), first change. It probably dates to about 1907-1908.

I'm not sure about some of the marks you mention. Can you post photos of the gun with detailed shots of the some of the marks? The "117" sounds like it is just a temporary assembly number, so you don't need to focus on that. But the SP is potentially interesting.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey Dave, thanks for the reply, I am working on the photos, coming soon.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Dave here are the photos
first gun overall
Gun.jpg
then S&W mark but partly covered by grip?
S&W mark.jpg
Lastly the SP?? under the trigger guard.
Under trigger guard.jpg

I could not get a clear picture of the stamped number 117 under the barrel, on the extractor retainer knob and on the fram under the grip.

Hope you can see these ok, Terry
Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Liked 7,006 Times in 2,923 Posts

holmt, this is earlier than the one that I have. Mine is a 4th change from 1919. The grips are nice, but not correct to the gun. ( people are looking for those) I'll let others fill you in better as I am not familiar with the earlier models. Welcome to The Forum! Bob
Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 AM
US Veteran
Liked 2,921 Times in 992 Posts

Looks like a Spanish copy . . . not an S&W logo on the sideplate and I believe the Sp is the first two letters of "Spain" on the underside of the grip frame. Russ
Old 01-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks Russ, As I look real close with a magnafying glass I think you are right, I can make out the word Spain.

I also thought the S&W logo looked to be in the wrong place from other photos I saw posted.

Any idea what these Spanish copies are worth?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 PM
US Veteran
Liked 2,921 Times in 992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmt56 View Post
Any idea what these Spanish copies are worth?
There are several discussions on Spanish copies in the Lounge forum. Do a search for the two words "Spanish copy" and you'll get several opinions.

My summary of the discussions is that Spanish copies range from very good . . . to very inferior examples . . . and everything in between. In essence, there is no one answer on value.

Russ

Tags
ejector, extractor, military, sideplate