Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Texas Star Texas Star is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,143
Likes: 17,627
Liked 10,843 Times in 5,248 Posts
Default Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum

The topic about Jack Webb's guns reminded me that S&W presented a .44 to actor Raymond Burr, best known for his portrayal of lawyer Perry Mason.

Does anyone know where that gun is now? Was it engraved or otherwise enhanced?

As far as I know, it was never seen on the show or carried. I doubt that Burr was a gun enthusiast. BTW, I think he was Canadian.

Does Doc 44 know anything about this pre -29, if he sees this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Doc44's Avatar
Doc44 Doc44 is offline
Moderator

Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 6,771
Likes: 753
Liked 14,509 Times in 2,199 Posts
Default

The Raymond Burr 44 Magnum was displayed at the annual meeting of the S&WCA in Knoxville, TN in 2000. It has a 4-screw frame and has Mr. Burr's name engraved/inscribed on the side plate.

I believe Mr. Burr did not keep the 44 very long and donated it (possibly) to a college or university who apparently sold it. I had a chance to buy it several years after I saw it displayed, but passed.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-17-2012, 05:54 PM
S&WIowegan S&WIowegan is offline
US Veteran
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,164
Likes: 7,917
Liked 2,300 Times in 1,176 Posts
Smile

The Raymond Burr .44 Magnum was auctioned by Rock Island Auction within the last two years. No idea who ended up with it but it did surface.
__________________
Bob.
SWCA 1821
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Goony's Avatar
Goony Goony is offline
SWCA Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,446
Likes: 236
Liked 534 Times in 205 Posts
Default

If S&W should've ever presented a .44 Magnum to anyone, it ought to have been to Clint Eastwood. His Dirty Harry character popularized the Model 29 beyond any advertising or promotion the company could ever have dreamed of. He deserved the highest grade custom one that they could make, and of course, it should've been serial numbered 2211. But I can't find that any such thing ever happened.
__________________
SWCA #590
"Colligo ergo sum"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Big Larry Big Larry is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cedar City Utah
Posts: 1,217
Likes: 0
Liked 236 Times in 98 Posts
Default

A good man always knows his limitations. Big Larry
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Big Larry Big Larry is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cedar City Utah
Posts: 1,217
Likes: 0
Liked 236 Times in 98 Posts
Default

BTW, the actor Bill Williams, married to Della Street, Masons secretary,Barbara Hale the actress, also had a 44 S&W Magnum. Big Larry
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Texas Star Texas Star is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,143
Likes: 17,627
Liked 10,843 Times in 5,248 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
BTW, the actor Bill Williams, married to Della Street, Masons secretary,Barbara Hale the actress, also had a 44 S&W Magnum. Big Larry

Didn't Bill Williams play Wild Bill Hickock on TV? His name rings a bell... He may have really liked guns, unlike most actors.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-17-2012, 08:59 PM
dscampbell's Avatar
dscampbell dscampbell is offline
SWCA Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 564
Likes: 553
Liked 580 Times in 188 Posts
Default

Guy Madison played wild bill Hickok and Andy devine was jingles his side kick. Bill Williams played kitt Carson.

Last edited by dscampbell; 03-18-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Correct spelling of name thank you edwardhartsock
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #9  
Old 03-17-2012, 10:09 PM
edwardhartsock edwardhartsock is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SE Iowa
Posts: 45
Likes: 25
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Andy Devine's character was "Jingles", I think.

Ed
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Big Larry Big Larry is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cedar City Utah
Posts: 1,217
Likes: 0
Liked 236 Times in 98 Posts
Default

And we can go further back when Andy Devine was the host of TV show The Buster Brown Show after Smiling Ed Mc Connel got fired. "Plunk your magic twanger Froggie!!!!" Seriously, I am getting REAL old. Big Larry
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #11  
Old 03-18-2012, 12:25 PM
old bear's Avatar
old bear old bear is offline
US Veteran
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: R.T.P., Nc
Posts: 7,492
Likes: 17,926
Liked 14,554 Times in 3,946 Posts
Default

Quote:
"Plunk your magic twanger Froggie!!!!" Seriously, I am getting REAL old. Big Larry
I'm old enough to remember that show, in fact I had a stuffed frog aptly named Froggie.

I met Mr. Devine and his charming wife in 1970 they were down to earth folks, and appeared to be pleased that I remembered Mr. Devine

Hows that for old?
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #12  
Old 03-18-2012, 12:27 PM
fmiq fmiq is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Their son played the detective in the later shows and the TV "Greatest American Hero"!

Last edited by fmiq; 03-18-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: additional info!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #13  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Alk8944's Avatar
Alk8944 Alk8944 is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sandy Utah
Posts: 6,372
Likes: 689
Liked 3,994 Times in 1,865 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
The topic about Jack Webb's guns reminded me that S&W presented a .44 to actor Raymond Burr, best known for his portrayal of lawyer Perry Mason.

Does anyone know where that gun is now? Was it engraved or otherwise enhanced?

As far as I know, it was never seen on the show or carried. I doubt that Burr was a gun enthusiast. BTW, I think he was Canadian.

Does Doc 44 know anything about this pre -29, if he sees this?
Texas Star,

The Raymond Burr .44 Magnum was engraved with his name on the sideplate. It is pictured on the dust jacket of "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" 1st edition, published in 1996.

This sure got off track, didn't it!
__________________
Gunsmithing S&W since 1961
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Big Larry Big Larry is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cedar City Utah
Posts: 1,217
Likes: 0
Liked 236 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Yes, but what to do on a Sunday afternoon? It is snowing here.
BTW, that was Froggie the Gremlin. With Midnight the cat and Squeeky. Not sure if he was a rat or hamster. I may have been 10 at the time. Rama of the Jungle was on the show as well. Old Man, Big Larry
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #15  
Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 PM
GPerry's Avatar
GPerry GPerry is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: central Ohio
Posts: 25
Likes: 1
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default

I remember seeing an episode of Perry Mason wherein a murder victim is shot and the recovered bullet is badly mangled. The police ballistics expert testifies that he believes it came from the defendant's .357. When shown the gun on the stand, he identifies it as "a Smith & Wesson Magnum, .357." It was a black and white episode but I don't know if it was pre-57. Anyway, on cross-examination Perry gets him to admit the slug could have come from another character's .358 Norma Magnum rifle. And of course, the real killer ultimately confesses. Anyway, the Magnum, .357 used on the show was a beautiful specimen, brand spanking new.

Greg Perry
__________________
Elmer Keith is my hero.

Last edited by GPerry; 03-19-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 PM
lkelly lkelly is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 129
Likes: 27
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
And we can go further back when Andy Devine was the host of TV show The Buster Brown Show after Smiling Ed Mc Connel got fired. "Plunk your magic twanger Froggie!!!!" Seriously, I am getting REAL old. Big Larry
"Hi, I'm Buster Brown, I live in a shoe. This is my dog Teig, he lives there too."
So what did Smiling Ed do to get himself fired?

When you go down to the woods today, you better not go alone...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 AM
El Biblioitecario's Avatar
El Biblioitecario El Biblioitecario is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: May 2003
Location: AZ
Posts: 361
Likes: 144
Liked 301 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old bear View Post
I'm old enough to remember that show, in fact I had a stuffed frog aptly named Froggie.

I met Mr. Devine and his charming wife in 1970 they were down to earth folks, and appeared to be pleased that I remembered Mr. Devine

Hows that for old?
Since this thread has wandered off down memory lane, I'll offer my favorite Andy Devine anecdote. During the filming of STAGECOACH director John Ford, whom no one ever accused of being a nice guy, took offense at something Devine did, and shouted at him that he had no idea why he hadn't cast Ward Bond as the coach driver.

Devine just grinned. "Because Bond can't drive a six horse hitch."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #18  
Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 AM
zoli28 zoli28 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

didn't miss. street carry a nice pair of 38's of her own?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Jack Flash's Avatar
Jack Flash Jack Flash is offline
SWCA Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,100
Likes: 17,450
Liked 6,315 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default

The ladies sure did wear tight, form-fitting clothes in those days, didn't they?

Watching those Perry Mason episodes back in the day, funny how I did not notice. I guess I must have been about six, so everybody at the time was just a grown up to me.
__________________
They lack our altruism.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 AM
DCWilson's Avatar
DCWilson DCWilson is offline
SWCA Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 13,380
Likes: 3,942
Liked 6,108 Times in 2,149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
And we can go further back when Andy Devine was the host of TV show The Buster Brown Show after Smiling Ed Mc Connel got fired. "Plunk your magic twanger Froggie!!!!" Seriously, I am getting REAL old. Big Larry
And stepping into the time machine to go further back, we will find Andy Devine as a Shakespearean actor.

Sort of. He had a bit part in the 1936 Romeo and Juliet with Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer. "Wait for me, Juliet!"

Well no, that line wasn't in the movie. Or the play, either. Andy Devine's character was put together from two or three minor characters in Shakespeare's version. Talk about tragedies, it's too bad he never got a chance to do Lear or Hamlet.
__________________
David Wilson
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Jack Flash's Avatar
Jack Flash Jack Flash is offline
SWCA Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,100
Likes: 17,450
Liked 6,315 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default

I think he would have made a better Falstaff.
__________________
They lack our altruism.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #22  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Texas Star Texas Star is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,143
Likes: 17,627
Liked 10,843 Times in 5,248 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
Texas Star,

The Raymond Burr .44 Magnum was engraved with his name on the sideplate. It is pictured on the dust jacket of "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" 1st edition, published in 1996.

This sure got off track, didn't it!

Thanks. I have all three editions; will go look at it. That may be where I saw it in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Texas Star Texas Star is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,143
Likes: 17,627
Liked 10,843 Times in 5,248 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPerry View Post
I remember seeing an episode of Perry Mason wherein a murder victim is shot and the recovered bullet is badly mangled. The police ballistics expert testifies that he believes it came from the defendant's .357. When shown the gun on the stand, he identifies it as "a Smith & Wesson Magnum, .357." It was a black and white episode but I don't know if it was pre-57. Anyway, on cross-examination Perry gets him to admit the slug could have come from another character's .358 Norma Magnum rifle. And of course, the real killer ultimately confesses. Anyway, the Magnum, .357 used on the show was a beautiful specimen, brand spanking new.

Greg Perry

That isn't as far out as some TV gun "info." But he'd have had to handload the Norma magnum with a .357 Mag. bullet, to handgun velocities. Dean Grennell (?) did that in an article many years ago, to show the versatility of .35 caliber rifles.

At normal velocity and with normal bullets, the .358 Norma would make a mess of a man, and the bullet would probably exit! That round was developed to do a good job on polar bears! TV gun stuff is so unbelievable because the writers seldom know guns, and regard them as evil.

Still, that might be a believable prank, if the rifling was obscured by the mangled bullet.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Cavaliere Cavaliere is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 131
Likes: 16
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkelly View Post
"Hi, I'm Buster Brown, I live in a shoe. This is my dog Teig, he lives there too."
So what did Smiling Ed do to get himself fired?

When you go down to the woods today, you better not go alone...
Ed McConnel died of a heart attack in 1954, and the show was taken over by Andy Devine, wrapping up forever in 1955.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 PM
BUFF BUFF is offline
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 5,077
Likes: 741
Liked 3,181 Times in 1,245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
That isn't as far out as some TV gun "info." But he'd have had to handload the Norma magnum with a .357 Mag. bullet, to handgun velocities. Dean Grennell (?) did that in an article many years ago, to show the versatility of .35 caliber rifles.

At normal velocity and with normal bullets, the .358 Norma would make a mess of a man, and the bullet would probably exit! That round was developed to do a good job on polar bears! TV gun stuff is so unbelievable because the writers seldom know guns, and regard them as evil.

Still, that might be a believable prank, if the rifling was obscured by the mangled bullet.
I saw that episode of Perry Mason last year, and as I remember it, the real killer was a handloading rifle hobbyist. I love that series; the plots, the cars, the women... I had an uncle that was dead ringer for Paul Drake, the private detective sidekick of Mason's.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Kavinsky's Avatar
Kavinsky Kavinsky is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 669
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goony View Post
If S&W should've ever presented a .44 Magnum to anyone, it ought to have been to Clint Eastwood. His Dirty Harry character popularized the Model 29 beyond any advertising or promotion the company could ever have dreamed of. He deserved the highest grade custom one that they could make, and of course, it should've been serial numbered 2211. But I can't find that any such thing ever happened.


they might have done that already or tried to as the writer of one films got one of the ones they used in the shooting of magnum force as a present.

actually that begs the question what kind of gun collection does eastwood have? I mean I know he was into ferrari's (namely a 275 GTB he got as part of the deal with the good the bad and the ugly and a 512 BB) but I've never really heard of him having guns outside of his films.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 AM
dscampbell's Avatar
dscampbell dscampbell is offline
SWCA Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 564
Likes: 553
Liked 580 Times in 188 Posts
Default

One last trivia on Andy Devine. One of his hobbies was amateur radio. Also a "ham operator" was Jimmy Stewart (stage name Stewart Grainger). To any hams on the forum 73's de N6DOA
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 AM
tgd31968 tgd31968 is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SE Michigan, Near Detroit
Posts: 69
Likes: 1
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavinsky View Post
they might have done that already or tried to as the writer of one films got one of the ones they used in the shooting of magnum force as a present.

actually that begs the question what kind of gun collection does eastwood have? I mean I know he was into ferrari's (namely a 275 GTB he got as part of the deal with the good the bad and the ugly and a 512 BB) but I've never really heard of him having guns outside of his films.
I was always under the impression he is fairly middle of the road to liberal in his politics.

I don't think he is 180 degrees from Dirty Harry, but I seem to remember that one of the ironies of his judge, jury and executioner characters is that in person he is not like that.

I don't know how liberal he really is, but supposedly he has made statements that he supports a "certain amount" of gun control. According to Wikipedia, he supports the California Brady Bill. Not sure if he would be a gun owner or not but even so, you would think a Colt Walker and a model 29 would be framed on his wall for helping make him a boatload of money....

Last edited by tgd31968; 03-24-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-24-2012, 12:34 PM
matsu matsu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: sacramento ca
Posts: 141
Likes: 4
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

kind of strange that 44 got passed around so much Mr Burr donated it to Mc George law school who's dean was his lawyer the school was in oak park part of Sacramento CA my partner and I took it around a lot of gun shows when the dean decided that there wasn't enough security to keep on display my buddy was the dean cousin his wife the dean's ex-ast that was many moons ago that started it off
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-24-2012, 12:53 PM
PALADIN85020's Avatar
PALADIN85020 PALADIN85020 is offline
US Veteran
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,105
Likes: 1,472
Liked 23,559 Times in 3,085 Posts
Default

We have a Boston Bull Terrier I named Tige, remembering the old Buster Brown Shoes commercial!

One of the hottest sound tracks now available is when Smilin' Ed McConnell made a colossal ad-lib blunder. On one show when he thought the show was over and the mike was turned off, he made an off-the-cuff remark that unfortunately went out over the air:

"I guess that will hold the little ******** for another week!"

He almost got fired for that one...

John
__________________
- Cogito, ergo armatus sum -
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #31  
Old 03-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Kavinsky's Avatar
Kavinsky Kavinsky is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 669
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgd31968 View Post
I was always under the impression he is fairly middle of the road to liberal in his politics.

I don't think he is 180 degrees from Dirty Harry, but I seem to remember that one of the ironies of his judge, jury and executioner characters is that in person he is not like that.

I don't know how liberal he really is, but supposedly he has made statements that he supports a "certain amount" of gun control. According to Wikipedia, he supports the California Brady Bill. Not sure if he would be a gun owner or not but even so, you would think a Colt Walker and a model 29 would be framed on his wall for helping make him a boatload of money....
well given the gang problems of california and its proximity to mexico I kind of agree with the background checks thing but the 5 day waiting period is frankly just a pain in the butt.

so I wouldnt really hold that against him.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-24-2012, 03:36 PM
LedFowl's Avatar
LedFowl LedFowl is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,382
Likes: 5,776
Liked 1,604 Times in 467 Posts
Default

Those Perry Mason episodes featured some pretty bad gun handling. I remember one episode where this little kid's nanny let him sleep with a loaded .22 revolver - I guess she thought it was cute. When the kid's dad inevitably turns up with a gunshot wound, dead, they suspect the hapless tike. Turns out the kid's mom took the gun away from him ("Now, son..."), but left it lying on a table - loaded - by the front door! The murderer found it and shot the kid's old man.

Ahh, the 50s.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-24-2012, 04:32 PM
gkitch gkitch is offline
SWCA Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 1,255
Likes: 2,015
Liked 783 Times in 285 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavinsky View Post
actually that begs the question what kind of gun collection does eastwood have? ...but I've never really heard of him having guns outside of his films.
Clint was known to shoot competitively in the fast-draw games back in the 50s and 60s. I was told that he was one of the only actors who competed in a live-fire match. He was known to be a real shooter and Bob Munden said he was one of the best (behind Jerry Lewis and Sammy Davis Jr). He was also known to put a great deal mre firearms realism in his shows and movies than was standard for his day. Most any time you see Eastwood shoot the techniques, apparent recoil, and maximum number of shots fired before a reload are all realistic for their times.
I also recall reading where he said he only owned seven or eight guns. This was back in the 70s in an interview.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-24-2012, 04:56 PM
TommyW TommyW is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ellington, CT
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

OK, someone hade mentioned Andy Devine.

A little trivia: "way back when", there were 3 close friends, John Wayne (The Duke), John Ford (director), and Ward Bond (Wagon Train). At Ward Bond's funeral, John Ford said to Andy Devine, "Now YOU'RE the biggest a__hole I know".
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Cleandean's Avatar
Cleandean Cleandean is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: VIGILANT CURMUDGEON /Pa.
Posts: 185
Likes: 408
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
OK, someone hade mentioned Andy Devine.

A little trivia: "way back when", there were 3 close friends, John Wayne (The Duke), John Ford (director), and Ward Bond (Wagon Train). At Ward Bond's funeral, John Ford said to Andy Devine, "Now YOU'RE the biggest a__hole I know".
Mostly, I've posted because that last quote is too good; AND IT HAD TO BE IN PRINT AT LEAST TWICE. & How we got from Perry Mason to great quotes about Western Stars? It was worth a long read. Dino
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 PM
punxsutawneypete punxsutawneypete is offline
Member
Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum Raymond Burr's .44 Magnum  
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 56
Likes: 1
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Default

The author of the Perry Mason series of books was a firearms rights advocate. He was Erle Stanley Gardner, and I remember that he wrote an article for gun rights that appeared in Sports Afield. He was an attorney in his own right, and from reading the Perry Mason books I could see a pretty decent knowledge of firearms that was incorporated into the stories. He made a cameo appearance in one of the last original Perry Mason TV shows as a judge.
For what it's worth, William Talman, who played the D.A. Hamilton Burger, auditioned for the part of Perry Mason.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1955, 44 magnum, colt, commercial, detective, engraved, executioner, model 29, sideplate, smith & wesson, smith and wesson, terrier

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NC Senator Richard Burr WCCPHD 2nd Amendment Forum 19 06-26-2016 08:43 AM
burr under slide swampdonkey Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 11 03-10-2013 01:50 AM
Burr on the rails of my NIB 15-22 2tango2 Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 9 02-17-2013 06:23 PM
Burr between barrel and frame Moogs S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 11 03-03-2012 03:50 AM
Burr on top of hammer armaliter S&W-Smithing 3 08-02-2010 01:18 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2018
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)