Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961
o

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 02-07-2015, 12:07 AM
Possible case of the grips worth more than the gun... Possible case of the grips worth more than the gun... Possible case of the grips worth more than the gun... Possible case of the grips worth more than the gun... Possible case of the grips worth more than the gun...  
Liked 109 Times in 36 Posts
Default Possible case of the grips worth more than the gun...

I won this off of one picture the other day. Mostly hoping the grips were decent. Took my FIL with me today and he was baffled that I would pay around $500 for this gun. I think the grips are worth between $200-$400 but not real sure. Thats just looking at closed auctions on eBay. There was one set that got up above 500 but they were really nice. Anyway joked with him I was going to take the grips off and throw the gun in the trash. He didn't find the humor in it .

Gun is a Pre-model 28. Serial looks like it puts it in around 56-57 but not 100% S1651XX. It is a 5 screw with 6" barrel. Nothing fancy. The grips are the whole reason I bought the gun. Non Relieved Targets with the Diamonds. Its a nice gun minus all of the flash rust spots. There is little to no flame cutting. Action is smooth as butter on single and double. Photos are decent but the grips actually aren't that bad.

Anyway just thought some here would find the humor in buying a gun for the grips.

Last edited by Poke; 02-07-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:22 AM
Possible case of the grips worth more than the gun... Possible case of the grips worth more than the gun... Possible case of the grips worth more than the gun... Possible case of the grips worth more than the gun... Possible case of the grips worth more than the gun...  
Liked 26,243 Times in 8,376 Posts

Been there,done that Possible case of the grips worth more than the gun...
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 02-07-2015, 12:35 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 4,084 Times in 1,449 Posts

I bought a Perfected because it was wearing factory ivory grips.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:03 AM
Absent Comrade
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member
Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

I just bought a 50% nickel Baby Russian for $300 that has a beautiful yellowed ivory set of factory grips. Those grips will fit a lot of S&W top breaks of the period, as they all have the same grip frame size. I'll put HRs on the BR and sell it for $300 and have a free pair of nice ivories for a 99% gun. Ed.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:19 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 10,304 Times in 4,263 Posts

500 bucks for a pre-28? That by itself is a pretty darn good deal, let alone the fine grips!
Old 02-07-2015, 01:43 AM

I just spent the last 30-45 minutes cleaning this thing up. I have to say it is a shame. Mechanically this thing is new or pretty close. No wear in the normal spots. No flame cutting on the top strap etc. The finish has some freckling but not bad. The Case coloring on the trigger and hammer is really nice and really popped out when I cleaned them up. Going to take it completely down in the morning and sonic clean the parts I have no idea how to get the grime out of. I.E. the rear sight has some brown goop stuff in the nooks and crannies. There might be a decent gun hiding in there somewhere.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:49 AM
Liked 7,015 Times in 2,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10 View Post
500 bucks for a pre-28? That by itself is a pretty darn good deal, let alone the fine grips!
That is what I was thinking myself! You have the grips for whatever your intentions are. You have a potentially fine shooter to boot! I have a 28 no dash from 1960. It is a 6 incher that is a great target gun. Post some prettied up pics! Bob
Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Liked 11,062 Times in 3,291 Posts

It seems like the selling price for the non-relieved diamond target grips has gone crazy lately!! I think you made a great purchase.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:45 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 519 Times in 280 Posts

You probably would have mentioned it if they did but were the grips numbered to the gun? Several years ago I too bought a pre 28 just for the grips. I was going to "harvest" the grips for myself but when I took them off they were numbered to the gun. I just could not bring myself to separate them and sold the gun to a friend of mine who did not have a pre 28 in his collection. He was really happy! I was told that a few target grips were numbered in the mid '50s.
Great story about your pre 28;
Mike
S&WCA #2470
Old 02-07-2015, 11:50 AM

I was thinking that the grips were made earlier than the gun. The gun in this link is a year earlier and has them so its possible that they are original to the gun. They are not numbered to the gun though.
Pre-28, NON-RELIEVED TARGET GRIPS
Old 02-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Banned
Liked 32,463 Times in 7,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
I won this off of one picture the other day. Mostly hoping the grips were decent. Took my FIL with me today and he was baffled that I would pay around $500 for this gun. I just spent the last 30-45 minutes cleaning this thing up. There might be a decent gun hiding in there somewhere.
I'm not trying to be a smartie here...but unless the photos don't show some really horrible condition the gun is in, I don't understand why anyone would be baffled about paying $500 for this revolver. A 5-screw pre-28? It'd hit $700 easy around here. I'd have been extremely pleased to get it for $500, seriously. I would say that yes, there is a "decent" gun in there.

And what's an "FIL"?
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 02-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Liked 18,873 Times in 9,241 Posts

It is either "father-in-law", or Poke names his hand tools and they speak to him .
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 02-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Liked 28,940 Times in 14,012 Posts

I have never been a Model 28 fan, but if a nice one presented itself to me with a $500 price tag, I'd consider buying it. The only Model 28 I ever owned was a new one I paid $125 for in 1970 (that was the going retail price back then). And I didn't keep it long. Too heavy.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Banned
Liked 32,463 Times in 7,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
The only Model 28 I ever owned was a new one I paid $125 for in 1970 (that was the going retail price back then). And I didn't keep it long. Too heavy.
Too heavy for what?
Old 02-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Liked 28,940 Times in 14,012 Posts

Too heavy to carry around much.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:48 PM

FIL is father-in-law. He still thinks 586's cost $350 which is why he is/was baffled. He sold me his last 586 which was my first 586 about 10 years ago. hasn't payed much attention to S&W's since.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: