Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Mystery Gun...to me anyway. Mystery Gun...to me anyway. Mystery Gun...to me anyway. Mystery Gun...to me anyway. Mystery Gun...to me anyway.  
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default Mystery Gun...to me anyway.

Help me ID this Revolver for a friend please...

I am sure the considerable resources of revolver knowledge here will know rather quickly, but I have several books on Smiths and Colts and there is nothing that I can find that matches up EXACTLY...

It looks like a Smith to me, but I have not been able to ID it yet and the barrel throws me off--Colt Police .38 Special? I will work on getting more pictures to try to get numbers from behind the crane or on the bottom of the butt, however, from what you see, what is it???

Thanks guys (and gals)
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Mystery Gun...to me anyway. Mystery Gun...to me anyway. Mystery Gun...to me anyway. Mystery Gun...to me anyway. Mystery Gun...to me anyway.  
Liked 18,994 Times in 9,294 Posts

It's a foreign copy of an S & W; likely Spanish. Several members here know about these and may be able to tell you what company.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Thanks Alan!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 AM
US Veteran
Liked 359 Times in 139 Posts

The lion stamp indicates it was made in the Eibar area, which is in the Basque country of Spain...this means it is among the better quality Spanish made revolvers, and if you determine that it is mechanically sound is probably OK to shoot with standard -no hot or +P- loads.

Even if it LOOKS like a Smith, no S&W parts will fit except by dumb luck...they are not "clones" or even copies, but they are
combinations of ideas from other makers as well as some original ideas. I see some Colt looking features there as well as that V shaped mainspring...

Since the "Trade Mark" around the logo is in English, it was made for export. The GH is possibly for Guisasola Hermanos. There should be a caliber stamp on the right of the barrel, but .38 is almost certainly not .38 Spl, but .38 Long Colt or .38 S&W.

I have a small .25 auto pistol made in that region in 1920, and it is a first rate pistol, with several features that I think are real improvements over the Browning/Colt .25's that it resembles.

I recommend you look at this site...http://forums.gunboards.com/forum.php
and scroll down to the Spanish Pistols Board...there some people there who can probably tell you who made it.

mark

Last edited by dogngun; 03-13-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Unhappy

Thanks Mark, I will check it out. Though you can't blow up the picture enough, the barrel does say Colt Police 38 Special and that is one of the things that was throwing me off...

On another note, I couldn't help but notice your signature, "Another Armed Liberal Veteran." I am glad to see that there are some in the ranks...are you having any luck talking sense into those that would rather see you unarmed throughout the country? Honestly, I have no luck arguing with liberals...