Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 09-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Never seen this ! Never seen this ! Never seen this ! Never seen this ! Never seen this !  
Liked 566 Times in 163 Posts
Default Never seen this !

My daughter was helping me clean and oil my guns and she saw something I have never seen on one of my S&W revolvers.

It is a 4 inch M&P Sn 59453. On the left factory grip just below the little diamond between the checkering is the following:

11 Jan 29

It is script and very very small. You barely can see it with the naked eye. The grips as 90% or better and came on the revolver. It took a magnifying glass to read it.

This is not a stamp but engraved. Outstanding job. Sorry right know I cannot get it to show up on photographs but I will keep trying.

Anybody have any ideas?

Dwight
Old 09-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Never seen this ! Never seen this ! Never seen this ! Never seen this ! Never seen this !  
Liked 760 Times in 304 Posts

Neat!

To me it's 11th day, January, nineteen and twenty nine.
To some it's 29th day, January, nineteen and eleven.

Look forward to a picture.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Liked 3,462 Times in 1,729 Posts

If your daughter saw the engraving and you need a magnifying glass maybe your eyes are getting old. Man it must be small to be put in that area. That's neat anyway to have an actual date there.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Liked 124 Times in 76 Posts

Dwight, Might be put on by an armorer for the Police Dept. I'm guessing that's 11 January, 1929 ? Is that possible ? I looked my collection - mostly from the 60's and 70's and find no such inscribe. Probably not factory. What's the history of the revolver ?
Old 09-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Liked 29,139 Times in 14,090 Posts

If that SN is correct the revolver would be from about 1906 if a .38 Special and about 1913 if it's a .32-20. In either event, far earlier than the engraved grip date. Is there a number penciled on or stamped into the rear of the right grip panel? I don't remember seeing anything like that.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:18 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 10,790 Times in 3,676 Posts

You'll need a camera with a macro lens to photograph it.
SWHF #474 SWCA LM#2629
Old 09-16-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie View Post
If your daughter saw the engraving and you need a magnifying glass maybe your eyes are getting old. Man it must be small to be put in that area. That's neat anyway to have an actual date there.
You are correct. Not only are my eyes are getting old the rest of me is following close behind. .

If you look at at new penny's date this date is about 1/3 rd that size
Old 09-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
If that SN is correct the revolver would be from about 1906 if a .38 Special and about 1913 if it's a .32-20. In either event, far earlier than the engraved grip date. Is there a number penciled on or stamped into the rear of the right grip panel? I don't remember seeing anything like that.

It is a 38 special. Nothing else on the grips or on the inside of the grips.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatboatWilly View Post
Dwight, Might be put on by an armorer for the Police Dept. I'm guessing that's 11 January, 1929 ? Is that possible ? I looked my collection - mostly from the 60's and 70's and find no such inscribe. Probably not factory. What's the history of the revolver ?

I don't know the history yet but still checking. I would rule out a PD armorer. The reason is that is perfect in size and lettering and has a "script" look. It would take an engraver with a BIG MAGNIFYING GLASS to do the work.

???????
Old 09-16-2014, 05:02 PM

Just for the heck of it, what type of grips does it have? Is it round butt or square butt? Wood or black hard rubber? Medallion or no medallion?
Old 09-16-2014, 05:13 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 5,518 Times in 1,650 Posts

It is another super rare Factory feature,Just like Nickel plated Hammers and Triggers!......Case closed.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Just for the heck of it, what type of grips does it have? Is it round butt or square butt? Wood or black hard rubber? Medallion or no medallion?
Round butt - black hard rubber with S&W logo
Old 09-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CarbonDRZ View Post
It is another super rare Factory feature,Just like Nickel plated Hammers and Triggers!......Case closed.

You can tell Snow White that we have located GRUMPY -

Case reopened !
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Ring Ranch View Post
Round butt - black hard rubber with S&W logo
OK, it would have been called a Model of 1902 Military Revolver back then, and black hard rubber grips were very common on those at that time. The square butt version of essentially the same revolver would have been the Model of 1905 Military Revolver, and they usually had checkered wooden grips without medallions. That doesn't answer your question about the date engraving, but at least you know what you have. In very good condition it would be desirable to collectors. Does it by any chance have an adjustable rear sight or just a notch? Nickel plated or blued?

Last edited by DWalt; 09-16-2014 at 05:53 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 06:08 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 2,547 Times in 462 Posts

I believe this is what X Ring Ranch is looking at. It is the patent information that appears on early hand ejector rubber stocks. Someone more knowledgable can provide info on when and what models.

Bob
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red9 View Post
I believe this is what X Ring Ranch is looking at. It is the patent information that appears on early hand ejector rubber stocks. Someone more knowledgable can provide info on when and what models.

Bob

I believe you are right !

The script and letters are correct

The grips are worn in that area and all I can read is what I posted.

Thanks for clearing this up

Dwight
Old 09-16-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
OK, it would have been called a Model of 1902 Military Revolver back then, and black hard rubber grips were very common on those at that time. The square butt version of essentially the same revolver would have been the Model of 1905 Military Revolver, and they usually had checkered wooden grips without medallions. That doesn't answer your question about the date engraving, but at least you know what you have. In very good condition it would be desirable to collectors. Does it by any chance have an adjustable rear sight or just a notch? Nickel plated or blued?
Thanks for the information.

It is blued with FACTORY nickel plated hammer and trigger

No-- not really !

It is blue with a notch rear sight. The hammer and trigger are case hardened.

Thanks again for the information

Dwight