Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 10-28-2014, 03:01 PM
I would appreciate help in identifying an old S&W revolver I would appreciate help in identifying an old S&W revolver I would appreciate help in identifying an old S&W revolver I would appreciate help in identifying an old S&W revolver I would appreciate help in identifying an old S&W revolver  
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default I would appreciate help in identifying an old S&W revolver

Hello everyone! My late father left me an old Smith and Wesson revolver, having it in the family forever! I decided to find out a bit more about this revolver and from what I see, this is just the place to ask!

First of all, as per the forums instructions, I checked the gun's yoke. There is no model number behind the yoke, just an asembly number.

1) It is a hand ejector

2) the serial number is as follows:

3) CTG

4) Barrrel length (unknown)
I dont have it with me at the moment so I cant measure it. If it is imperative so that the gun can be identified, I will revert with this information by tomorrow. I hope the photos can give a certain idea.

5) Sight: Hand Ejector Fixed

Thank, you very much, in advance, for your help!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:12 PM
I would appreciate help in identifying an old S&W revolver I would appreciate help in identifying an old S&W revolver I would appreciate help in identifying an old S&W revolver I would appreciate help in identifying an old S&W revolver I would appreciate help in identifying an old S&W revolver  
Liked 18,970 Times in 9,283 Posts

Welcome! This is a K or medium frame revolver in .38 S & W (a shorter and wider round than the .38 Special) that was produced for the British in the 1941-'42 time frame. It is called either a British Service Revolver, a .38/200 (after the caliber and original bullet weight), or a pre-Victory Model. Hundreds of thousand of similar guns were made from 1942-'45 with a Parkerized finish and a V (for Victory) serial number prefix. Yours appears to have a standard 5" (127 cm) barrel but there were 4 and 6" versions also.

This one is in exceptionally nice condition for its age and appears to have the original wood stocks; you will probably see the serial number stamped or written in pencil on the inside right panel.

How difficult is it to own and buy handguns in Greece? Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:44 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,699 Times in 2,623 Posts

Kalos orisate! As Alan said, that is an early British Service Revolver in quit nice condition.

Even though Athenians had some bad experiences at the hands of the Spartans some time ago, I have always respected the Spartan sentiments so compactly expressed in your signature.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Liked 29,094 Times in 14,067 Posts

The SN would date shipment at about mid-1941. It appears to be complete and original. At this time in history, almost all of S&W's production capacity was devoted to producing these revolvers for the British Commonwealth. These revolvers were essentially identical to S&W's commercial M&P revolvers as made during the 1930s, including the wooden grip style. The main differences were the presence of the lanyard swivel on the butt (most commercial revolvers did not come from the factory with lanyard swivels) and the .38 S&W caliber. Prior to the British revolver purchases beginning in mid-1940, S&W did not offer the M&P in this caliber, which the British called the ".380 Revolver, MK2" cartridge. It used a 178 grain FMJ bullet. Starting in 1942, manufacture was somewhat simplified by substituting smooth, plain wooden grips, and a more easily and cheaply applied phosphate finish instead of the typical pre-war bluing. About May 1942, a new serial numbering system was begun using the letter "V" as a prefix. These were called "Victory" models. Therefore, yours is known to collectors as a .38/200 "pre-Victory" model. Also, S&W made very similar revolvers (but chambered in .38 S&W Special caliber), principally for use by the U. S. Navy, and for authorized civilian use by law enforcement and defense plant security guards.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:15 AM
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Wow! Thank you all for the replies! I appreciate your help and advice!

On the question regarding gun laws in Greece, it is very regulated, especially for handguns.

First of all, to get a gun permit, requires medical and psychological exams as well as aproval by the police that you need a gun for security reasons. Alternativelly you need to become a member of a gun club and bullet use is regulated and only within official target ranges.

It is much simpler to get a hunting licence. In a total of 10 milion people in th ecountry, there are over 1.5 milion hunting rifles. But these are again, heavily regulated seasonal permits, depending on the area and type of catch. Also, rifles are not allowed to be able to hold more than 5 rounds in total.

I would safely say that gun culture is not very similar to the US, however, gun enthusiasts can find there way around.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Liked 29,094 Times in 14,067 Posts

There are many politicians and groups in the USA which would very much like to impose similar (if not worse) drastic gun control measures upon U. S. citizens, including outright bans on guns and ammunition. So far, at least in most states, they have not been too successful. In the U. S. Congressional mid-term elections to be held next week, we are all hoping than many of the strong gun-ban candidates will be defeated. There is a common saying in the USA which is probably also true in Greece: "Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants." "Πολιτικοί προτιμούν Άοπλοι αγρότες."

Last edited by DWalt; 10-29-2014 at 12:46 PM.