Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961
o

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 10-29-2014, 03:58 PM
I Need Some Help I Need Some Help I Need Some Help I Need Some Help I Need Some Help  
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default I Need Some Help

Probably in more ways than one

I have a Army issued 1899. It isn't in collector condition (LOTS of holster wear, very little finish left) and I want to shoot it.

The trigger pull is smooth and crisp but VERY heavy. While it isn't in collector condition I don't want to go grinding on the original main spring to lighten the trigger. If I were to get a spring from a 1905, would it fit? If the springs are interchangeable I could lighten the trigger pull but still return it to original if I were to ever want to sell it.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:42 PM
US Veteran
I Need Some Help I Need Some Help I Need Some Help I Need Some Help I Need Some Help  
Liked 22,313 Times in 8,245 Posts

I don't think it is the mainspring that is so heavy, If you have ever seen the inner workings of this model, it is different, and there is a flat spring to a lever for the trigger rebound in stead of a coil spring and slide. This shorter flat spring is most probably the cause of the problem. The odds of finding one are like very very slim. Perhaps our local 1899 expert Mike will respond, and maybe he can shed some light on what you can do. Often just a good cleaning and light lube will help a lot. There are a few tricks to disassembling this model, so be careful if you are not familiar.

Last edited by H Richard; 10-29-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:32 AM
I Need Some Help  
Liked 862 Times in 379 Posts

Have you cleaned and Lubed the mechanism?

Old oxidized Oils can make for a lot of 'drag'.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,078 Posts

Yes. the main spring from a later model can be used. So can an after-market reduced-power spring, such as Wolff or Wilson, with the understanding that light strikes may result. You can experiment with the spring as well as the length of the strain screw. The trigger/rebound spring on that model is a leaf spring that doesn't accept alterations well. Don't do anything that you can't undo. The factory wants the trigger pull to be a conscious and deliberate act. Lightening the trigger pull is not encouraged.

Last edited by Mike McLellan; 10-30-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:33 AM
I Need Some Help  
Liked 862 Times in 379 Posts

Did the Army shipped ones have stiffer than usual Springs?

I tried my own m1899 and an m1902 today, both very low mileage Revolvers, and they felt very buttery-smooth and entirely comfortable/easy in DA mode.

I really do suggest your 1899 be thoroughly cleaned ( all moving or sliding parts, including Cylinder Axle and so on ) and new Lube put in.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Administrator
Liked 48,562 Times in 9,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitspitr View Post
I have a Army issued 1899. It isn't in collector condition (LOTS of holster wear, very little finish left) and I want to shoot it.
ALL 1899 Army contract guns are collectible.
There were only 1000 and it is the first HE Army contract. I can't imagine one that is not refinished and not absolutely horrible otherwise bringing much below $1000.
Do you really want to shoot it THAT much?