Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 08-29-2015, 06:09 PM
ID help with this old .22 revolver ID help with this old .22 revolver ID help with this old .22 revolver ID help with this old .22 revolver ID help with this old .22 revolver  
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Default ID help with this old .22 revolver

Hi all. Brand new member here. I'd like to identify this small revolver belonging to my dad. There is no model number.

So... per the guidelines presented on the "To IDENTIFY your Gun" page, here are the vital statistics....

Type: Hand Ejector

Six-digit Serial # on front gripstrap: 552XXX

CTG: 22 Long Rifle

Barrel Length: 6"

Rear sight: Pre-War Adjustable

Other: Strain screw present on front gripstrap

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SandW_22lr_resized.jpg (154.6 KB, 486 views)
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 08-29-2015, 07:46 PM
US Veteran
ID help with this old .22 revolver ID help with this old .22 revolver ID help with this old .22 revolver ID help with this old .22 revolver ID help with this old .22 revolver  
Liked 24,943 Times in 8,538 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.

According to the SCSW 3rd edition, It is a .22/.32 Target Model (Postwar or Transitional).

The authors have not been able to confirm it's existence, so you have a rare revolver. Congrats!
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 08-29-2015, 07:59 PM
SWCA Member
ID help with this old .22 revolver ID help with this old .22 revolver ID help with this old .22 revolver  
Liked 649 Times in 372 Posts

Based on the serial number, your gun is a post war transitional .22/.32 Target. The I frame guns like yours didn't get the micrometer click sight and barrel rib until the model of 1953. The grips are probably not correct but are for a .22/.32 Kit Gun of the same period. Somebody who knows more than I do will probably be along with more detailed information.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:00 PM

Thanks!

You may notice that the hammer looks a little funny. It does to me anyway. I have never seen a straight one like that. It is quite possible my grandfather modified it at some point.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:12 PM
US Veteran

Liked 14,371 Times in 5,477 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. Check the inside of the right stock for serial numbers. As I recall, there is a 6" 22/32 Kit Gun, but maybe some confuse the two models. The front sight does not fit the Kit Gun configuration, but worth a check for stock serial numbers

Last edited by glowe; 08-29-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:12 PM
SWCA Member
ID help with this old .22 revolver ID help with this old .22 revolver ID help with this old .22 revolver  
Liked 13,462 Times in 3,396 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum.
Very neat gun to make an intro with as well.
A couple features that jumped out at me were the large ejector rod nob and the cylinder release.
I don't know much about them but really look forward to hearing more about your fathers gun
S&WCA #2726

Last edited by weatherby; 08-29-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:23 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

Even rarer than this gun is the "Camp Gun" booklet that came with it showing a 6 in. gun on the cover. A member recently found a 6 inch HFT Transitional , with the booklet, in Texas. Ed.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:22 PM

I will post more pics as soon as I can reduce them. Meaning, I have more pics, but I see that this site has very low limits on file size for attachments. Won't take but a few minutes to turn my 2MB png files into much smaller jpgs though.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:34 PM

Okay. Here we go. Some marks on the insides. I have no idea if they hold any special meaning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grips_backsides_resize.jpg (131.0 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg UnderGrip_left_resized.jpg (112.8 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg UnderGrip_right_resized.jpg (100.2 KB, 203 views)
Old 08-29-2015, 11:43 PM
US Veteran

Those are assembler's marks, which don't mean much today.

The serial number on most S&W revolvers is stamped on the butt. The reason yours has the SN stamped on the front grip strap is that the original grips had a square butt shape that covered the butt.

The round butt grips that you picture came on another revolver that had the serial number "2614".
WAR EAGLE!
Old 08-30-2015, 02:30 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,598 Times in 8,583 Posts

Wali-P'

Welcome to the forum!

You have indeed brought a very rare version of this model gun to the forum today! Many do not believe they existed. I know they existed but had not seen one in all my years. Their existence has been confirmed by the S&W Historian in his response to a member's question:

"I have seen one [".22/32 Target Post war Transistional I frame"] sold. I would have to go back to the manufacturing records and see what they show. However, with our meeting coming up and still have my talk to write, I will not get much chance to look up anything."
Roy G. Jinks
Historian, Smith & Wesson
06-12-2013

I agree with everything the other members have posted above! The 'B' stamped on the right side of your grip frame indicates that it was originally produced with a blue finish.

Based on other Post war Transitional I frame models in the same serial range with close serial #s in my database; the .22/32 Kit Gun Model (the 4" barrel version .22), and the .32 Hand Ejector and Regulation Police Models', yours is likely an early 1950s issue since they were re-introduced 9/6/1950. It was 1st produced in 1911 as a special Bekeart Model and proved popular enough to become a regular production model in 1915.

This is my .22/32 Kit Gun Model with the optional factory Target stocks for this model. Your .22/32 Target Model had these stocks as standard.

I'd be very interested to know if yours is only stamped MADE IN U.S.A. on the right side of the frame or if it has the four line stamping like John's gun below? His also shows the standard round butt stocks for the Kit Gun Model:
John’s Photo (PALADIN85020):

Yours should also have the post war sliding bar safety. Can you see the bar moving up and down in the hammer channel as you move the hammer backward and forward?

I would also appreciate if you wouldn't mind double checking the serial # with magnification? The digits can be difficult to read correctly.

Thanks for sharing such a great old gun!
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 07-09-2020 at 01:25 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 06:57 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,702 Times in 2,624 Posts

EDITED: I'll leave my original post intact below the double line as evidence of early thinking about this gun, but a revised determination of the serial number invalidates what is said here about dating. See post 35 and subsequent responses further down.

= = = = = = = = = = =

Well, that's an amazing sight. Like Hondo44, I believed that the model existed but had never seen one, with the possible exception of a partial-frame photo that had the correct rear sight but a hammer face different from what was seen on prewar models.

It looks to me as though the bottom swell at the end of the hammer spur has been filed off, giving that straight flat underside. A lot of us suspect that this kind of modification is to increase the clearance between hammer and frame in order to avoid interference with the web of the thumb when holding the gun with a high grip -- which on a grip this small is about the only way to hold the gun. Another possibility, which we cannot resolve from that side photo, is that the entire spur was removed and replaced with a flat beavertail extension that offers a wider position for the thumb but still doesn't pinch the skin when shooting single action.

The stocks, with a serial number that low, may have been installed originally on an early Chiefs Special (1950). I would expect the revolver itself was shipped about the same time.

If you ever decide to sell that one, don't sell it cheap. Even with the non-original stocks and modified hammer, it is a desirable specimen to collectors of small frame .22 target revolvers.

And welcome to the forum. Few people get to make that kind of splash with their introductory post.

Last edited by DCWilson; 08-31-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Add warning note: the postwar dating is incorrect.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Liked 19,047 Times in 9,316 Posts

Welcome, also. To me, this one is a mandatory gun for a factory letter - usually the historian is all about the facts in these but I would not be at all surprised if he writes "this is a most desirable/rare gun" or words to that effect. It will take 4-6 months so enjoy all the kudos for having it in the meantime...

Firearm History Request - Smith & Wesson
Old 08-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wali-P View Post
Okay. Here we go. Some marks on the insides. I have no idea if they hold any special meaning. (Picture of stock/grip numbered 2614 is not included in this quote.)
Quote:
Six-digit Serial # on front gripstrap: 552XXX
Yes. It would seem the stocks/grips are not original to the gun but .............. the stock/grip is numbered 2614. The last three digits of the serial number of your gun wouldn't be 614, would they?

Even if the stocks are not original to the gun they are nice enough and old enough to be very desirable.

I love the small frame .22 caliber target pistols. Yours is marvelous. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by g8rb8; 08-30-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:25 AM
US Veteran

Jim & David - I understand the target and the transitional nomenclature, but what is the proper name for this revolver?? Is it a Kit Gun or a HFT? I don't know if the absence of a stepped butt-frame makes any difference on a 1950 era gun??

This one is way too recent a manufacture date for me.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:32 AM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
Jim & David - I understand the target and the transitional nomenclature, but what is the proper name for this revolver?? Is it a Kit Gun or a HFT? I don't know if the absence of a stepped butt-frame makes any difference on a 1950 era gun??

This one is way too recent a manufacture date for me.
According to the SCSW 3rd, it's a .22/.32 Target Model. See post # 2.

"The last three digits of the serial number of your gun wouldn't be 614, would they?"

S&W put the entire serial number, minus the letter prefix, on the inside of the grip.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 08-30-2015, 11:05 AM
SWCA Member

The HFT tag went out of use after the heavier K-22 Outdoorsman was introduced because it no longer made any sense. At that point the I-frame .22 became the .22/32 Target in catalogs and marketing literature; that's how it was called through the 1930s and after the war until model numbers took precedence and it became commonly known as the Model 35. (One inconsistency: Internal printing on box lids in the late 1930s still used "Heavy Frame Target" in boilerplate language that had fossilized years earlier.)

Kit Guns never had barrels longer than four inches, though you often see ill-informed sellers on auction sites using the phrase "Kit Gun" for any .22/32 of any barrel length. After the 1953 redesign, a two-inch variety was introduced, but I think that's the only barrel length variant in KG history.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:17 AM
US Veteran

Thanks David - I do see them for sale with Kit Gun name attached, but what interested me was that there are a couple in the SWCA database with 6" barrels listed as Kit Guns as well.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:26 AM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
Thanks David - I do see them for sale with Kit Gun name attached, but what interested me was that there are a couple in the SWCA database with 6" barrels listed as Kit Guns as well.
I noticed one that I think is a case of classification error or perhaps even mismarking at the factory. The one I saw is said to be a 34-1. Dollars to donuts that is a factory model-marking error if it's not a typo in the table. If anyone can show me a box containing a six-inch .22/32 that says Kit Gun on the box end, I'll happily retract my assertion.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:40 PM

Hi all. Wow thanks for the interest and info. I'll see that this gun gets better attention than it's gotten the last 30-50 years. I have to confirm with my brother, but I believe this was my mom's gun. Given to her by her dad. He was a colonel in the US Army. Vet of WWII, maybe WWI as well. He had an amazing collection of handguns, which I saw once as a kid while visiting the grandparents in San Antonio.

But I have no idea how or when my grandfather came to own this one before giving it to my mom. Incidentally, one of the pics below shows the grip extender he added to it so my mom could shoot it more comfortably. He'd obviously modified this extender to fit this little gun. It's somewhat crudely whittled down at the top and bottom. And was held in place at the bottom by 50+ year-old brown electrical tape LOL. I had to peel it off the other day to find the serial number.

In the other pic you can see that just "Made in U.S.A." is stamped on the right side.

No back-story on the holster (Made by H.H. Heiser of Denver, CO) other than it is seeming made for this exact pistol. And the pistol has been in it forever.

On the question of the hammer-safety thing, I'm really not sure what to look for. When I look into the gun while pulling back the hammer slowly I do see what looks kind of like another cylinder (not part of the hammer itself) rolling back slightly. with some kind of plunger fwd of it. Is that it?

And to confirm, the serial number is indeed 552XXX. At first you had me wondering if maybe I'd read it upside down. But there is no doubt about those "5"s and "2".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SandW_rt_side_detail.jpg (172.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg SandW_22lr_in_holster.jpg (231.9 KB, 106 views)
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 12:51 PM

The factory letter may give a clue as to whether your grandfather bought it new, as it will give the original shipping destination - perhaps an Army post or related destination.

The grip adapter, as far as I know, was only made for K frame revolvers in that era, so it was probably modified from one of those.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:28 PM

By the way, if it isn't sacrilege to consider it, where might I get a set of larger grips for the pistol? For practical purposes I don't care if they are vintage. Maybe a reproduction set of the larger square bottom grips. The little rounded-butt grips aren't really the most ergonomic, in my opinion.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:29 PM
SWCA Member

Wali-P,

What a wonderful family heirloom for future generations of your family!

Well the back story adds additional info to the hammer modification and the stocks. The hammer spur style and fine knurling on this vintage gun is a bit hard to cock for some, especially women. Since it was your mother's gun, it appears extremely likely that the spur was changed to provide a better grasp for her thumb.

The original Target stocks were likely a bit ungainly for her as well, hence the smaller replacements and grip adaptor. The original style Target stocks shown in my 1st post can be found; post a 'want to buy' ad in this forum's classified here, http://smith-wessonforum.com/accesso.../?daysprune=-1
Or check Ebay and GunBroker.

Now the holster is another surprise. It's a famous historical brand, a collector piece in its own right, and appears to be in very sound condition. Of course you probably know to never store the gun in a leather holster because of the potential for corrosion to the gun.

Thank you for checking the serial # and for the additional photos. The one line MADE IN U.S.A. stamping was used pre war and only very early post war. If you wouldn't mind one more photo with the hammer cocked, we can confirm if it has the post war safety. A protrusion on the hammer face would be great to see. That would be the lead pipe cinch that it's the post war rare model. Serial numbers can be tricky sometimes and shipped way out of sequence.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 08-30-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:55 PM

Thanks again. I will take another couple of pics this afternoon.

Just to clarify, it was my mom's gun, which her dad (my grandfather) configured to fit her hand. So you may be correct. He probably pulled off the original grips and threw on a smaller set that he had laying around.

And I spoke with my dad about it this morning. Even at 87 years old he has a great memory for many things. It's funny. He still refers to his late father-in-law of long ago as "The Colonel". He said:

"The Colonel set up that gun so your mom could go target shooting with him. I went with them a few times."

I don't know if they were doing that while they were still dating, or after they were already married. That would have been some time back in the 1950s for sure.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the tip about not storing it in leather. Unfortunately it's been in that holster for decades. Didn't seem to cause too much damage though. My dad's guns are kept in a large upstairs closet in Los Angeles. Moisture is not much of an issue. But it will be stored separately once my father bestows it to me.

Okay, I had some time now to take close-ups of the cocked hammer. If you can't see what you need to see, then maybe you can post a pic this post-war safety thing, so I will know what to look for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SandW_22lr_hammer_detail1.jpg (70.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg SandW_22lr_hammer_detail2.jpg (135.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg SandW_22lr_hammer_detail3.jpg (66.9 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Wali-P; 08-30-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:54 PM
SWCA Member

You're right, as long as there was no moisture or humidity it was safe in the holster. Out of the holster would give it a little safety margin in the future.

Thank you for the additional photos. Those are sufficient to clearly show that it does not have the post war safety. So this would make the S&W Historical letter even more critical, to confirm its post war shipment and to obtain the historian's official classification of a pre war configured, post war shipped model. I would send all the photos you posted along with the letter request.
S&WCA #819
Old 08-30-2015, 04:18 PM
US Veteran

Quote:
. . . sacrilege? . . .
Absolutely, but it is your gun. ebay has a ton of vintage S&W stocks for sale and a few nice I frame extended stocks will come up sooner or later.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:48 PM

I figured that Glowe. But I'd never throw away the current grips. That'd be so wrong. However, it is a difficult pistol for me to hold and aim, being so small in the handle now. It would be nice to throw on something period looking but also fills the hand better, for taking out to the range or a desert camping trip where I might also want to target shoot. And I know my girlfriend would enjoy shooting it.

Or I could just try getting used to it the way it is, which is cheaper than dropping $50 on fancy new wood. Spend the money toward a couple of bricks of .22LR instead.

I will work on adding the Weaver rail, Aimpoint Micro RD, and flash suppressor later on.

LOL. Totally kidding about that.

For the grips, will any "I-frame" set fit this gun? I see a lot that say K/L/I frame compatible. I don't want to order the wrong thing online then find out it won't fit.

BTW, is there an FAQ on this site for requesting a letter from Smith and Wesson?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:54 PM

K and L frames have the same grip frame dimensions, I is much smaller, so you are looking for those specifically.

For ordering a factory letter, see post 13 .
Old 08-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Liked 9,429 Times in 4,226 Posts

One possibility for grips (that I have used myself on a 6" I-frame) is the J-frame target grips. They completely surround the existing grip frame and give you lots to hang on to. While they aren't original, they were actually developed for the later versions of the same model, the 34 and 35. Of course this would be a reversible alteration, so not sacrilegious!

Froggie
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 05:26 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Or I could just try getting used to it the way it is, which is cheaper than dropping $50 on fancy new wood. Spend the money toward a couple of bricks of .22LR instead.

For the grips, will any "I-frame" set fit this gun? I see a lot that say K/L/I frame compatible. I don't want to order the wrong thing online then find out it won't fit.
As Murphydog posted above, don't believe any ad that indicates K, L and I.
You'll need target stocks shown in post #11.

Or I/J Target stocks. They fit both I and J frames because they cover the butt of the grip frame as Froggie posted, so the slight difference in length doesn't matter. Shown here on these Model of 1953 I frames; Target on top, Kit Gun below:

Photo by SDH
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 08-30-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
For ordering a factory letter, see post 13 .
Of course! Thanks. I got so many posts at one time that didn't check all the links.

And thanks again to everyone else.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:22 PM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWilson View Post
The HFT tag went out of use after the heavier K-22 Outdoorsman was introduced because it no longer made any sense. At that point the I-frame .22 became the .22/32 Target in catalogs and marketing literature; that's how it was called through the 1930s and after the war until model numbers took precedence and it became commonly known as the Model 35. (One inconsistency: Internal printing on box lids in the late 1930s still used "Heavy Frame Target" in boilerplate language that had fossilized years earlier.)

Kit Guns never had barrels longer than four inches, though you often see ill-informed sellers on auction sites using the phrase "Kit Gun" for any .22/32 of any barrel length. After the 1953 redesign, a two-inch variety was introduced, but I think that's the only barrel length variant in KG history.
Don't forget the .22/32 Kit Gun Airweights amd the M43s. The majority of these came with 3 1/2" barrels.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Muley Gil; 08-30-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Liked 7,472 Times in 2,287 Posts

This post was a joy to read and goes on the list of all time greats. Thank you Wali-P for sharing your treasure and equal thanks to the knowledgeable members that conspired to figure out what it is. Let us know how that letter thing turns out!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:23 AM
SWCA Member

Wali-P,

One more request, if you don't mind. The serial number should be seen also on the flat underside of the barrel and the rear face of the cylinder. Could you take a look in those locations and see if the numbers there duplicate what is on the forestrap of the grip frame?

What I am concerned about is that the second digit of the serial number may be a "3" rather than a "5." The numeral dies used by S&W in the prewar and wartime years were blocky, and if struck with too much force could make a deep impression that is almost illegible or at the very least easily misread. I have had problems with the 3-5 distinction in the past and wonder if that could be a factor here. This serial number, for example, begins 530 -- not 550. In an enlarged image like this one, which was specifically illuminated to bring out the differences, the distinction is more easily seen than on the gun itself.

If your serial number is actually 532xxx, then the gun probably shipped in late 1939 or 1940; it is still an uncommon variety (late prewar .22/32 target), but won't be the vanishingly rare postwar version that I and others originally thought.

Here's a pic of .22/32 Target 533038, which shipped in January 1940. If your gun is in fact a prewar rather than postwar specimen, this is what it looked like when it shipped. Those are the grips you would want in order to restore both the authenticity and shootability of your gun-- two-screw extension stocks with silver medallions.

I'm hoping that the second digit of your serial number really is a 5, but the consistent prewar features in your revolver are leading me to think it might not be.

Last edited by DCWilson; 08-31-2015 at 06:42 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 08-31-2015, 10:10 AM

Okay. I will look again very closely. And try to take a usable pic if possible. I have to admit, the 5 and the 3 do seem almost indistinguishable even in that sharp, hi-contrast image.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 AM

Whah-Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

On the front strap those numbers look identical; I'd bet anyone $100 it's so. However, after looking at the numbers on the barrel and cylinder, which are very small but MUCH clearer, you are indeed correct. The SN is 532XXX !!

I noticed the number on the barrel a few days ago; just never thought to compare it to the SN. I figured it was an unimportant assy number. Especially since the "Identify your gun" page says to ignore all numbers except the SN on the butt.

Well, this probably has people at ease anyway. This gun's not such a puzzle.

Love to find a long grip like in the pic above. In the meantime I might (don't hate me) see if a Pachmayr J-frame grip will fit.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:13 AM
SWCA Member

I'm sorry it turned out like that, but at least now you know you shouldn't be timid about shooting it. As far as proper grip frame covers go, you should put anything on the gun that helps you shoot it more accurately. The prewar I-frame and current J-frame guns have different grip dimensions, but modern stocks ought to fit reasonably well on an older frame like yours. A few years ago I put some Sanderson J-targets on a Kit Gun that came to me with the wrong wood, and they work just fine without looking out of place.

Last edited by DCWilson; 08-31-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:42 PM

Thanks again. Period-correct wood looks best, but I don't mind the appearance of the Pachmeyrs so much. And they do look like they'd help a person point the gun accurately.

Found this pic of a Mod34/kit gun(?) with a Pachmeyr on it. Looks ergonomic anyway. I assume that's their J-frame model for the round-butt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3345454_02_s_w_model_34_kit_gun_4_22_grea_640.jpg (84.5 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Wali-P; 08-31-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:49 AM
SWCA Member

That's actually a Model 34-1, a J frame Kit Gun. But no matter relative to the grip issue.

I and J frame grip frames are always the same size for the same vintage frames.

And any post 1953 I/J grips that that cover the gun butt will work on the 1/8" shorter pre 1953 I/J frame.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 07-09-2020 at 11:03 AM.