Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 12-06-2015, 04:15 PM
SWCA Member
A "New" King Target A "New" King Target A "New" King Target A "New" King Target A "New" King Target  
Liked 12,781 Times in 1,815 Posts
Default A "New" King Target

My Dad really liked my king target and I didn't want to give it to him because of all the history, but with the new parts I had and with the help of a forum member I think he's going to be happier.

Should be a very very merry Christmas for him (if I can part with it! The more I fondle it the more I think he may just be getting a gift card).

I am exceptionally grateful to the guys who put this one together for me, but I'll let him step forward to take the credit (and hopefully post some pictures of the process).

For those who are interested the build involved some King parts I had and the following work (as listed on the receipt):

Install King Front & Rear Target Sights
Make/Install 14k Front (the bead was missing from the blade)
Hand Polish
Rust Blue

I think it turned out wonderfully and I just love the idea of finally using parts that have been sitting around for 70 years. I feel like I should say more about all of this, but it's been a bad couple months for work (figured out on my calendar yesterday that in the past 2 months I've had 4 full days home). Kind of wiped out.

If anyone has any questions I'd love to answer them.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:17 PM
A "New" King Target A "New" King Target A "New" King Target A "New" King Target A "New" King Target  
Liked 2,141 Times in 770 Posts

O U T S T A N D I N G !
Old 12-06-2015, 04:19 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,771 Times in 716 Posts

Wow, that sure turned out to be a beauty!

Gift card sounds good to me...
Old 12-06-2015, 04:33 PM
SWCA Member
A "New" King Target A "New" King Target A "New" King Target  
Liked 5,298 Times in 1,516 Posts

I'll take it!!! Very nice, much better than leaving those pieces laying around to collect dust. The nitre blue screws are a sweet touch. Need a range report soon !!!!!

Last edited by S&W ucla; 12-06-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:32 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 45,745 Times in 4,818 Posts

Very nice!!! Love the round-butt vintage target. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-07-2015, 02:15 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKmesa View Post
Very nice!!! Love the round-butt vintage target. Thanks for sharing!
At first I was going to go Square Butt, but then I gave it a moment's thought and realized that he loves the feel of the round butt, so why not make a round butt target? He has the right hands for a gun without a grip adapter or larger target grips, so I think it will work out beautifully.

Also, the stocks on this one are just dang pretty.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 12-07-2015, 02:38 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 45,745 Times in 4,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixgunStrumpet View Post
... the stocks on this one are just dang pretty.
Amen!!!

Could you post a few photos from the top looking down on the rear sight? I'd love to see the installation from that perspective as well.

Thanks,
Old 12-07-2015, 03:17 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKmesa View Post
Amen!!!

Could you post a few photos from the top looking down on the rear sight? I'd love to see the installation from that perspective as well.

Thanks,

Hopefully this will do? I think the question would better be answered by the guys who did this, they took some shots of the process I think. I'm hoping they will post here at some point. (Pretty sure they will).
Old 12-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Banned
Liked 3,137 Times in 644 Posts

The conversion was done in my shop mainly by my associate Dan Kleber. I've got a ton of pics and very little time at this moment to post them or tell you about the work. Please don't ask Caleb or me how much it cost. Each job is individual and not directly reflective of any other. Some of these pics were cell phone in process and some studio pics after the fact.

Suffice it to say: Caleb was great to work with, provided another King converted gun as an example and tremendously supportive.

Even so called NOS King parts may or my not be what they would have used for a given project and in this case although we had front and rear sight, we had to make several very small, very special parts and all the screws complicating the job.

Rust bluing a S&W is very time consuming (because we do All hand-polishing) and is a good looking, but not perfectly appropriate finish, the nitre bluing the screws is what I use on custom projects and Caleb chose it for this one.

I'm delighted so many of you 'Liked' the gun, as we do, but we are not looking for more of this type of work except the exceptional project, and we are not looking to rust blue any S&W guns.

Front sight installed, frame milled for rear

Rear sight fitted but not installed

Parts from example King sight to be made

King example gun with red bead, project with 14kt bead

Completed

Completed

Last edited by SDH; 12-07-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Banned

I forgot the 14kt gold bead, Caleb's choice.
Dan machined a forging die, we annealed and formed the bead with a miniscule shank, perfected the shape then installed by staking and a drop of lock-tite for insurance.
Installation was the very last step after bluing.

SDH Forging

Test fitting completed bead

Last edited by SDH; 12-07-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Liked 16,446 Times in 4,170 Posts

Ooooohhhh mmmyyyyyy!

Always nice to be able to see quality craftsmanship. Thank you to all involved.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:45 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 9,646 Times in 1,800 Posts

After seeing SDH's post, I realize I could have saved you a great deal of money and SDH a great deal of time. I have those small parts he had to craft.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 12-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Liked 11,106 Times in 3,304 Posts

Fantastic work by all involved!
Old 12-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Liked 144 Times in 23 Posts

Thank you for posting this. Inspiring Old American Craftsmanship like the above is disappearing from the country as the practitioners of it retire or pass. I hope you have sons who are interested in learning it. Cheers.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Banned

Dan Kleber has been working with me as an associate for few months now. He was the best student in my Fine Gunmaking Seminar Program in recent years. I have high hope of him carrying on the craftsmanship for the next generation but it is a tough way to make a living.
Thanks for all the Likes and encouraging words!

...and Thanks to Sixgun Caleb for the opportunity!
SDH

Last edited by SDH; 12-09-2015 at 08:07 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 12-09-2015, 08:44 PM

Liked 679 Times in 437 Posts

Neat project and thanks for showing it to us.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:41 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 9,512 Times in 1,465 Posts

Post a photo of your dad when he gets it in his hands!!!
Tom Graham SWCA #2303
Old 12-21-2015, 03:26 PM
A "New" King Target A "New" King Target  
Liked 1,036 Times in 443 Posts

SDH what rust blue solution did you use?
Old 12-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Liked 6,945 Times in 2,355 Posts

Wow...Beautiful work, I thought my gunsmith did a great job putting a Baughman front sight on my Brazilian Model 1917 but your work it truly amazing.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:51 AM
Banned

Mark Lee's slow rust blue solution. Nice deep, dark blue. Very hot though~~

Many thanks for all the compliments and Likes!
SDH

Last edited by SDH; 12-22-2015 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Liked 9,427 Times in 4,225 Posts

I tried to post this earlier, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether.

First let me congratulate SgS, SDH and DK for a job well designed and executed. That is truly a classy homage to a classic gun! You can all be justifiably proud.

I especially like the use of that old King adjustable rear sight. Does anyone make a repro or substitute for it currently? I am in touch with another gunsmith with the proposal to recreate the King Super Police Night Sight upgrade, but I would love to also have the option of having the sights like yours or even the sight rib set up. Any takers out there?

Froggie
Old 12-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Liked 1,863 Times in 938 Posts

THANX for sharing. It is very cool.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Banned

GF,
There are no 'reproductions' of any King parts that I am aware of, nor do I see the demand for them. They are all very period and not what is in fashion today. If you do find vintage parts be sure to have your gunsmith look them over preferably before purchase. Many available "old parts" are take-off from relic guns or the dinged ones left in the bin when all others were used up.
Take it from me, if they are not complete with all parts they are almost not worth buying, even the reflectors are all but impossible to find.
There may be a few individuals that have a stash of parts but they are not hoarding them for yours or my usage.

As much as I enjoy the results of this type of project the time investment is daunting and it requires a dedicated client like Sixgun to gather the bits and pieces and be patient and generous to see it through.
Caleb asked about recreating the Cockeyed Hammer and I believe I could make a forging die like I imagine King used, but I'd have to have numerous deposited order before I'd undertake development.

I have been collecting rifle receiver sights for years and the prices they are going for makes it difficult to even put one on a using rifle...but I don't hesitate for a willing client. I love the old stuff, hunted with iron sight for decades and greatly appreciate my clients that want to replicate quality gunsmithing of the past. My associate Dan Kleber is currently developing a retro-Springfield rifle project emulating an original Wundhammer rifle. I seem to remember you had a retro-Springfield created?
Best for the Holidays to All,
Steven Hughes
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 12-25-2015, 03:50 AM
SWCA Member

Dad seems to like it. I can't imagine why
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 12-25-2015, 06:38 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,865 Times in 440 Posts

Simply stunning!
Old 12-25-2015, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixgunStrumpet View Post
Dad seems to like it. I can't imagine why
That is great to hear, Caleb!
Merry Christmas to all~~