Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961
o

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 12-30-2015, 10:59 AM
Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief  
Liked 4,842 Times in 1,479 Posts
Default Wife shoots her Baby chief

It was a bit disappointing. She did not shoot it very well and flat out said, "I don't like it."

Maybe she'll warm up to it.

She was a natural handgun shooter but has been regressing in ability over time.

With 158gr LSWC I found it to be a pleasure to shoot and quite accurate.

She less than enthused though it did not appear to recoil much in her hands.
Wife shoots her Baby chief-screenshot_2015-12-30-09-12-11-jpg
Wife shoots her Baby chief-screenshot_2015-12-30-09-07-36-jpg

It's a great little gun. I'd hate to trade it in for a 22 mag.
20150409_132722 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

We'll be back to basics for some time in the mean time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-12-30-09-12-11.jpg (17.0 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-12-30-09-07-36.jpg (17.0 KB, 578 views)
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 12-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief  
Liked 134 Times in 69 Posts

Put on some finger Hogue grips that fit her hand and she'll have a favorite gun.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 12-30-2015, 12:22 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,956 Times in 532 Posts

Honestly, I don't believe the j-frame should be carried by women. Too light and recoils just a bit much.
I know because they're light it makes it nicer and easier to carry, but also makes recoil too much.
You should keep the Chiefs Special for yourself and get your wife a M&P 38 snubby. Heavier for sure but recoils much easier on the hand.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 12-30-2015, 12:30 PM
Absent Comrade
Liked 41,503 Times in 9,146 Posts

I got a 2.5" PC 686P with pretty wood grips, but hated shooting it. Too much sting. My husband put the rubber Hogue Bantams on it and now I love it.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Liked 621 Times in 139 Posts

Let her pick the gun.......
Old 12-30-2015, 12:39 PM
Liked 35 Times in 12 Posts

+1 on the Hogue fingers
Old 12-30-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19leben View Post
Honestly, I don't believe the j-frame should be carried by women. Too light and recoils just a bit much.
I know because they're light it makes it nicer and easier to carry, but also makes recoil too much.
You should keep the Chiefs Special for yourself and get your wife a M&P 38 snubby. Heavier for sure but recoils much easier on the hand.
This is an all steel gun.

An M&P snub is a big gun...not the kinda things most ladies will carry.

Last edited by Rick_A; 12-30-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Cottle View Post
Let her pick the gun.......
As I told her, it's her gun and she can do what she wants with it.

The only gun she's had interest in other than what she has is a Walther PPK/S. Those guns do not shoot smooth and have terrible triggers. Hardly a confidence booster.

She isn't good at and doesn't enjoy shooting any of them at the moment.

She started out a natural, doing plain amazing things right off the bat with one of my first autos. She took that one. She's been getting progressively worse at shooting whether an airgun, auto, or revolver. She needs to get back to basics and work back up.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:03 PM

On the rubber grip suggestions that's certainly a good idea...but she likes fancy grips.

I may need to get on the list for a set of Spegel boot grips.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:02 PM
Liked 1,977 Times in 732 Posts

My wife is 5'2" and 100lbs soaking wet. She did not like her J frame until I had her change the way she held the gun. I see that your wife holds it the same way. Have her wrap her weak hand thumb over the top of the strong hand thumb and point the thumbs down. Tell her to use more pressure with the weak hand.
My wife now can tolerate her J frame.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Liked 5,259 Times in 1,732 Posts

Perhaps she would like it better with a grip more suitable for her hands AND the fact that she is gripping the handgun wrong. She needs to place the gun in her right hand firmly and then wrap her left hand around the right hand with her left hand index finger pressing upward against the trigger guard. AND the thumb of the left hand needs to be locked downward over or under the thumb of the right hand and kept in that position while shooting. She also needs to bring the handgun all the way UP to her eye level and to not duck her head downward. ......
Old 12-30-2015, 04:28 PM

On the grip, I had just corrected her from putting her off hand thumb behind the slide of her auto, so I wanted to keep things consistent. I showed her a correct grip, but she did her own thing.

A majority of handgun shooting is technique and practice, and she doesn't have a whole lot of either at this point.

She found an M&P 22 Compact intimidating, so she has a long way to go!

It would probably take a model 17 or 617 to get her comfortable with revolver shooting, and we have neither.

Last edited by Rick_A; 12-30-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Liked 1,682 Times in 703 Posts

I think I see her support hand thumb loose during recoil... I find that thumb needs to lock over the strong thumb, at least for me. Either down load some light loads or get the same frame 22. And experiment with smaller grips that she can wrap her hands around but with the filler behind the guard.
I am a fan of Hogue grips & still have a set on my previous duty M66. I had them on a blue 19 & thought they were butt ugly but they really tamed the hot SuperVel loads I was carrying. There's something very sophisticated about the shape. But hands do vary & it's important for the shooter to test.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief  
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

Sorry to hear of her woes. If she likes the PPK platform, may I suggest trying a Bersa? I've had them in the past and found them to be accurate and with great triggers.

That's a fine example of a baby chief. I hope you keep it for yourself if she decides to shun it.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:40 PM

I've got a few J frames... and don't really have a need for another.

I actually have suggested both the Bersa and the Sig P230/232 but she likes that Walther.

Those loads were light. I guess I could load some lighter.

The kid did a good amount of dry fire practice to get things down before we hit the range. The wife is stubborn.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Liked 2,709 Times in 1,240 Posts

J frames just have a lot of muzzle flip. I was quite surprised by a Glock 33 (a small gun) in .357 SIG having less muzzle flip than a model 38. Certainly, more thump in the hand, but the slide absorbs a LOT of the muzzle flip.

Probably why she prefers the semi-auto.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:03 PM
US Veteran
Liked 6,195 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadear dan View Post
Put on some finger Hogue grips that fit her hand and she'll have a favorite gun.
I have Hogue bantams on my Wife's m-65-they work for both of us.

Last edited by amazingflapjack; 12-30-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:24 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 9,880 Times in 3,633 Posts

Not the first thing to do with which gun, nor how to/how not to hold it,--------------------------------------BUT

It occurs to me most folks are more interested in and enthusiastic about stuff they do well-----or so it may seem. With that in mind, may I suggest shooting at a (much) larger target-------perhaps something on the order of a 50 yard slow fire----or anything else with a GREAT BIG black circle on it. The scores will improve markedly----not that we care about the scores---we care about enthusiasm---and interest----in that order.

Ralph Tremaine
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 12-30-2015, 06:28 PM

I agree with that to a point.

I'm a frugal guy, and we used what I had. Next time it'll probably be a full sized silhouette.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Banned
Liked 5,516 Times in 1,649 Posts

You have to remember that a BC is even worse than a Model 36 for shooting due to the shorter I Frame Grip.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:02 PM

I asked her about it, and she said she'd like to keep it and practice more.

Nobody I know shoots a J frame for enjoyment. Most shoot them to maintain proficiency.

I enjoy shooting both the Airweights and steel framed guns with light and heavy loads as it's fun and challenging.

She ultimately gets what she wants. Believe me, I don't force nothin' on her.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Liked 1,977 Times in 732 Posts

I use the same grip that I thought my wife on every gun I own. Even the semi-autos. And that is the fingers on fingers, thumb on thumb with both curled down. This helps no matter what gun I carry. I find this grip to give me more strength for recoil. Try a test. Grip a broom with both thumbs pointing down the broom with fingers on fingers. This is the grip taught to some semi-autos shooters. Have someone push up with the end of the broom. Try to stop them. Now grip with fingers on fingers and wrapped thumb on thumb. Have the same person lift again. You should see an improvement stopping the broom with the second grip.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Liked 28,226 Times in 5,272 Posts

40 years ago my wife packed a Model 10 snubby as a duty weapon. She carried a concealed Model 36 for years and finally when we moved back to town she went with a Model 642 for walkin' and shoppin'. It had Crimsom Trace grips with that air pocket at the back of the grip.

Still hurt her hand and she wasn't having fun anymore. So we went shopping.. I had in mind a 380 or a 9 mm in an medium sized semi-auto pistol.

She picked out a Kahr .45ACP. I was concerned about recoil and muzzle blast. After she put 100 rounds through it, I asked if she would like something smaller.
She said "I like it. Leave me alone."

If you been married to a champeen tommyhawk thrower and dang good shot for 44 years, you learn to take a hint.

Proper reply is "Yes Dear, Ma'am!!"

Last edited by Iggy; 01-02-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:02 PM
Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief  
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

That is an AWESOME vintage photo, Iggy. Where does time go?
Old 12-31-2015, 03:03 PM
Liked 8,296 Times in 2,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_A View Post
It was a bit disappointing. She did not shoot it very well and flat out said, "I don't like it." ....
With 158gr LSWC I found it to be a pleasure to shoot and quite accurate.

The J frame .38 is much better suited for CCW and honestly I actually do not "Like" shooting it either even when loaded with milder 148 grain HBWC loads moving at 750 fps when compared to a 4" to 6" K, L or N frame loaded with Hot 38 special or mild 357 Magnum.
I also do not enjoy shooting the J frame 357 or N frame .44 Magnum Airweight or 44 Mag Mountain gun with wood grips and full house Magnum loads as they leave my hand red and aching after firing one full cylinder.

Rubber grips that cover the backstrap and milder loads will tame fealt recoil considerably on most revolvers but the J-38 is a tiny little thing and can be tough on the hand especially a short grip Baby Chief equipped with factory Magnas and while there are some that subscribe to the
theory that " If Enough is good, More is better and Too Much just about right"... sometimes a little too Much is still too much....

Last edited by Engine49guy; 12-31-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:02 PM
Liked 988 Times in 535 Posts

A steel J-frame with .38 Specials generally isn't too bad. Maybe using lower powered ammo for practice would help her. Hornady does make a 90gr defensive ammo with low recoil. It's the one in the pink box

I don't know if a .22 Magnum J-frame is the answer. The alloy models are about 11-oz and the recoil can be fairly snappy in that light frame. The trigger is also a 16-lb monster.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

If you haven't experienced it, those two two mags are VERY loud, especially in a snub. Almost kinda like a .357 mag. They crack!!, not boom! Sad to say, I can personally testify to hearing lots of them without ear protection before I wised up.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:48 PM
Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

Iggy,

Were we really ever that young? It's hard to remember but interesting to see those "vintage" photos. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster Picnic View Post
A steel J-frame with .38 Specials generally isn't too bad. Maybe using lower powered ammo for practice would help her. Hornady does make a 90gr defensive ammo with low recoil. It's the one in the pink box

I don't know if a .22 Magnum J-frame is the answer. The alloy models are about 11-oz and the recoil can be fairly snappy in that light frame. The trigger is also a 16-lb monster.
The load she was shooting was only 710 fps.

I've looked into the 22 mag and was surprised to find people found them snappy to shoot. The trigger pulls are indeed stiff.

Light bullets loads at a high velocity feel worse to me than a heavy bullet going slow, and they're usually quite off for impact on the way most fixed sight guns are regulated.

I have a J magnum rubber grip with a covered backstrap we could try. It's ugly, but if it works, it works.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:50 PM

My concern is HER hand size when you said she was small. I have smallish hands for a guy & find covered backstraps difficult to grip well. I'd go to a shop & maybe get her to try some grips at the counter... or borrow some from friends.

People do like things they do well & I found it valueable to start with big targets at half distance (I see you are indoors & that may be a factor)... and 22s to start. I used a kitgun as starter, switched up to light 38s, back to 22s before stepping up again.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:24 PM
Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief  
Liked 2,729 Times in 969 Posts

I have shot and owned several PPK's over the years. i love the little gun's looks but it is not an easy shooter. it has sharp edges, kicks briskly and has a very stiff recoil spring that some have a hard time retracting the slide to chamber a round or clear a malfunction. There are better designs out now and many in 9mm rather than .380 in a similar size package.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:43 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,702 Times in 1,306 Posts

Few thoughts. 1). Shooting is like showering, if you don't do it regularly, you stink. Just more practice I reckon is all that's needed. 2) my wife is 5'2 and a little gal with small hands, but like Iggy's wife, she really likes a Colt .45, GI spec. 3) You mention that she does real well with the first gun you gave her, maybe just practice getting really good with that one then. Neat thing about this hobby is that it's up to you, have fun, be safe, and enjoy the time together.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:51 AM

I'm not a fan of 2" barrels. I like the 3"HB to include the 36-1 HB. The barrel length is a non-issue in a proper holster... CC IWB the extra inch is verticle... the bulk is in the cylinder & possibly the grips. I like the balance of the barrel.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:16 AM

I've always been a natural at handgun shooting, so I find it odd when someone does poorly. The fundamental concepts are simple, and not too difficult to execute. That said, I have done my best when shooting on the regular. For a time my hands were like random rests, but I digress. She's reluctant to put in much time working on the basics.

The gun she started on was my old Ruger P89. It's a big ugly 9mm that shoots pretty smooth. Lately it's a bit harsh to shoot. All the recoil springs on our old autos have been going south lately so maybe that one's up, too.

I need to get her "snapping in" with some snap caps and doing more 22lr practice, me thinks.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal tom View Post
I have shot and owned several PPK's over the years. i love the little gun's looks but it is not an easy shooter. it has sharp edges, kicks briskly and has a very stiff recoil spring that some have a hard time retracting the slide to chamber a round or clear a malfunction. There are better designs out now and many in 9mm rather than .380 in a similar size package.
I hear that...but she's pretty adamant about it. I've heard they're pretty nice in 32acp and the non /s version seems a lot smoother with the grips wraping around the backstrap.

I'm thinking she can buy that one herself...that way if she doesn't like it she can blame herself.

She hasn't been getting along with anything we've got between us, and there's certainly some sweet and easy shooters.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
I'm not a fan of 2" barrels. I like the 3"HB to include the 36-1 HB. The barrel length is a non-issue in a proper holster... CC IWB the extra inch is verticle... the bulk is in the cylinder & possibly the grips. I like the balance of the barrel.
The 3" makes pocket and ankle carry difficult if not impossible and I don't think the barrel length makes much difference in shooting. It's also tough to find holsters as well.

If it turns out she just can't get along with it I'll search for a Colt Detective Special or something similar and keep the old girl for myself...though I have absolutely no use for it. If I'm carrying a steel framed gun it's going to be a magnum.

She's had some interest in these SP101's:

...but that's one bulky five shot. That said, I'm sure it'd be an easy shooter with 38 Specials.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:08 PM

I can only say, I felt the 3" made a difference in my hands. We are all individuals, our hands are different & the rest of the aiming triangle is different. While I would start with what I like... I would try to get another shooter to experience as many as possible.
I don't disagree on ankle holsters.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Liked 988 Times in 535 Posts

Maybe the ultralight 43c would work for her. 8 shots, 11-oz, .22lr. The trigger is supposed to be better than the .22 Magnum Centennial. Recoil is nil. Buy a brick of primer-only Colibris and she can even practice in the basement. Carries like a dream, follow up shots are quick, and she can practice as much as she wants without pain.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:22 PM

That's definitely a consideration.

Those little guys are pricey, though.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Wife shoots her Baby chief Wife shoots her Baby chief  
Liked 5,023 Times in 1,625 Posts

My bride is not recoil sensitive. She is an NRA pistol instructor whose personal battery includes a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk. She found the recoil from wadcutters in my 642 unpleasant to the point that she was dissatisfied with her groups (we tried stock grips, Uncle Mikes, Hogue Tamers, Delta Ergos and Pach Presentations). Arthritis made it impossible for her to work the slide on all the pocket autos. She ended up bringing her dad's Colt Cobra out of retirement (with wood service grips and a Tyler). Apparently the grip profile made the difference.

There may be more at work here than caliber or grip material. I know this is the S&W forum, but there may be times when you have to throw brand loyalty to the wind.

Tags
38spl, ccw, j frame, m36, target