Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961
o

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 04-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Triple-Lock, Does this look right? UPDATE (SCAM) Triple-Lock, Does this look right? UPDATE (SCAM) Triple-Lock, Does this look right? UPDATE (SCAM) Triple-Lock, Does this look right? UPDATE (SCAM) Triple-Lock, Does this look right? UPDATE (SCAM)  
Liked 9,908 Times in 2,006 Posts
Question Triple-Lock, Does this look right? UPDATE (SCAM)

This gun is supposedly original nickel and in 45 Colt. I have very little info so far. Does it look right to you for a target model? The rear sight looks odd, even in the bad pic. Thoughts?

UPDATE, SCAM ALERT: The oxygen thief contacted me and sent me more GB pictures. I asked him for a picture of the gun on top of today's newspaper. I doubt I will hear back from him. He apparently goes by Lufe Okotty.

Last edited by Shark Bait; 04-18-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: SCAM ALERT
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 05:38 PM
US Veteran
Triple-Lock, Does this look right? UPDATE (SCAM) Triple-Lock, Does this look right? UPDATE (SCAM) Triple-Lock, Does this look right? UPDATE (SCAM) Triple-Lock, Does this look right? UPDATE (SCAM) Triple-Lock, Does this look right? UPDATE (SCAM)  
Liked 24,780 Times in 8,482 Posts

That looks like a post WW II rear sight to me.
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 05:39 PM
Banned
Liked 3,241 Times in 1,099 Posts

It is possible it is a post war conversion done by the factory, but it is definitely post war
Old 04-17-2017, 05:40 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 10,739 Times in 3,659 Posts

That doesn't look right to me. I see no rebound slide stud. The front sight doesn't look correct for that time frame and the rear appears to be a microclick. I'd be very skeptical.
SWHF #474 SWCA LM#2629
Old 04-17-2017, 05:43 PM

Thanks all. Probably not worth a 5 hour round trip to see it.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 PM
US Veteran
Liked 24,780 Times in 8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Thanks all. Probably not worth a 5 hour round trip to see it.

Depends on the price. I'd get more pictures-top of the frame, grip frame for stampings, rear of the cylinder-before turning it down.
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-17-2017, 05:51 PM

What would be a reasonable price if it is a converted gun (most likely)?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:07 PM
Liked 402 Times in 128 Posts

Due at least in part to the low resolution of the photo, the rebound slide pin is somewhat obscured, but if you zoom in it IS barely discernible just below the cylinder latch thumbpiece.

Maybe original nickel. Maybe original .45 Colt. The sights are most assuredly post-WWII, and I don't think those stocks would be original to a TL, either. I'd ask for more pictures, as Muley Gil recommended.

Last edited by TripleLock; 04-17-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:37 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 12,612 Times in 1,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
What would be a reasonable price if it is a converted gun (most likely)?
Hard to say, if the work was done at the factory and its a really good gun, it could be as high as $1000. It's very subjective with such guns. The advice I usually give is to get it in your hand, and ask how much it is worth to *you*, that is to say if you overpaid for it would you still be happy enough to own it that you aren't bothered?

If so, buy it for that price. If its more then that just ask them to come down until it's in your comfort zone.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 08:17 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 5,696 Times in 3,186 Posts

Mr. Bait, so many pics needed on this one. Appears to be a
more modern rear sight. Any gunsmith with a milling machine
could do the job. Best.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Liked 18,878 Times in 9,241 Posts

Here it is/was for sale, a closed auction on GB:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/615728762

I think the consensus was it is a post-war factory conversion, but I may be remembering wrong.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:40 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 9,395 Times in 1,441 Posts

The last Triple Lock Target model that I owned had the serial number stamped on the underside of the sight itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4967.jpg (75.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4969.jpg (83.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4970.jpg (43.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4960.jpg (53.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4961.jpg (46.8 KB, 59 views)
Tom Graham SWCA #2303
Old 04-17-2017, 08:46 PM
US Veteran
Liked 2,719 Times in 724 Posts

To answer the original question, the gun is not original. The sight and the 4 line frame stamping tell you that. The finish is not an original one because of the frame stamping. With that stamping it is possible that the nickel was done at the same time by the factory.

Regarding the price, a good place to start is what is the seller asking for it?

Bob
Old 04-18-2017, 05:38 AM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Due at least in part to the low resolution of the photo, the rebound slide pin is somewhat obscured, but if you zoom in it IS barely discernible just below the cylinder latch thumbpiece.
Triplelock, I think you are referring to the hammer stud which is partially obscured in that photo angle. The rebound stud is located just above the rear arc of the trigger guard and front grip frame strap. It has been polished down.

According to the GB completed auction link that Alan posted, that gun has gone back to the factory 3 times and there is an R-N in a rectangle on the butt. I suspect it got the nickel in 12/74, the last time it went back. Because I don't think the factory was using the rectangular RN in 1947, the first two times it went back. And, it sold for $2026 so someone felt it was worth that much. It's a nice looking piece even if it is not quite right.
SWHF #474 SWCA LM#2629
Old 04-18-2017, 06:03 AM
Liked 39,804 Times in 7,848 Posts

...sad to see that 4 line address on a Triple Lock...

Old 04-18-2017, 06:33 AM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. The GB link is especially helpful. The guy is asking $1330 and hasn't responded to my messages. I'm happy to leave this one be.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:35 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,925 Times in 331 Posts
Default Scam Alert

Well I own the above mentioned gun and it's in Tennessee so someone took the photos from the GunBroker listing and are using them somewhere else. Sharkbait-is it a private listing in New Mexico?
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier45 View Post
Well I own the above mentioned gun and it's in Tennessee so someone took the photos from the GunBroker listing and are using them somewhere else. Sharkbait-is it a private listing in New Mexico?
Yes, appears to be. It is listed out of Farmington, NM on Armslist.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:42 AM
SWCA Member

Lots of scams on Armslist...
SWHF #474 SWCA LM#2629
Old 04-18-2017, 06:50 AM
Liked 18,878 Times in 9,241 Posts

Just for fun, ask the Armslist "seller" to post a photo of the gun with a copy of today's Farmington, NM newspaper. Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply but do report it as a scam .
Old 04-18-2017, 08:15 AM

I figure he's not responding because he realized that I am in NM and would want a FTF transaction. If his listing is still active I may tell him I have a friend in the State Police Fraud Unit who would love to talk to him about "his" gun.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:09 AM

UPDATE: See my original post on this thread. The scammer contacted me.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:11 PM
Banned
Liked 3,137 Times in 644 Posts

Lots of scams on Armslist...
Old 04-18-2017, 02:43 PM

This is just another illustration of the value this forum can have. The collective knowledge here is tough to beat and you guys teach me more daily.
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 06:16 PM
Liked 402 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiregrassguy View Post
Triplelock, I think you are referring to the hammer stud which is partially obscured in that photo angle. The rebound stud is located just above the rear arc of the trigger guard and front grip frame strap. It has been polished down.
You are correct. My mistake, wrong stud!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:10 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 12,612 Times in 1,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
Here it is/was for sale, a closed auction on GB:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/615728762

I think the consensus was it is a post-war factory conversion, but I may be remembering wrong.
Actually, seeing the rest of those pictures, I'm not too surprised by the price. That's a really nice example of S&W factory work on a gun, in an attractive package. Still a subjective gun to price, but one of the nicest examples I have seen of it's type.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,925 Times in 331 Posts

The aforementioned gun was in a recent post by me. I bought the gun as a factory converted target .45 Colt and was happy to pay that price since it is a very unique configuration and not a marked up .455 conversion. That price was cheap following the factory letter that confirmed it as an original .45 Colt Nickel 6.5" TL. The refinish and sights came later.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Liked 39,804 Times in 7,848 Posts

...we all must have short memories...my "like" was on the original thread from February...

Triple Lock converted to Target .45 Colt - UPDATED LETTER!