Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 06-16-2017, 09:54 PM
Still not a Smith guy but I did buy a few more. Still not a Smith guy but I did buy a few more. Still not a Smith guy but I did buy a few more. Still not a Smith guy but I did buy a few more. Still not a Smith guy but I did buy a few more.  
Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Default Still not a Smith guy but I did buy a few more.

The 29 no dash wont arrive until tomorrow so shown pic was taken by another person. The K22 and K38 are both in my possession. The masterpiece guns are both lettered.

The K38 was sent to Quantico VA for delivery to General George Van Orden in Washington DC and it was noted on the letter that it was a very early 4" version. Grips are numbered to the gun and at very least its LNIB (if ever fired outside the factory). Box is numbered to the gun.

The K22 is a 5 screw from 1948. Box and grips are numbered and its almost as nice as the K38.

As I said, the 29 is not here yet. Its a no dash gun and I am pretty excited to get that gun into my safe as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170616_112035.jpg (85.0 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170616_112140.jpg (63.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170627_180934.jpg (133.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170627_180846.jpg (139.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170627_180743.jpg (128.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by g27racing; 06-27-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Still not a Smith guy but I did buy a few more. Still not a Smith guy but I did buy a few more. Still not a Smith guy but I did buy a few more. Still not a Smith guy but I did buy a few more. Still not a Smith guy but I did buy a few more.  
Liked 18,987 Times in 9,290 Posts

Well, let's see...almost three years on the Forum, three new S & Ws and at least six threads starting with "still not a Smith guy..." - serious denial going on here . Enjoy!
Old 06-16-2017, 10:26 PM
Liked 5,133 Times in 1,952 Posts

Love to have every one of those myself! Congratulations!
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
Well, let's see...almost three years on the Forum, three new S & Ws and at least six threads starting with "still not a Smith guy..." - serious denial going on here . Enjoy!
Its become "my thing"....and thank you.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 PM
Liked 11,103 Times in 3,302 Posts

"Still not a Smith guy but I did buy a few more."

Well, you might not be a Smith guy, but you are definitely missing a great opportunity to become one!! Come to the light!!
Old 06-17-2017, 12:30 AM
Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

How many Smith's do you have to own to qualify as a "Smith Guy?" If the number is high enough, I can tell my wife she has been worrying about nothing for the last 31 years of my collecting.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:23 AM
US Veteran
Liked 7,286 Times in 1,898 Posts

"I got Smiths owned by Elvis, Gen. Patton, and Jesus Christ...but I'm not a Smith guy."
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Liked 29,105 Times in 14,073 Posts

"The K38 was a govt ordered gun sent to Quantico VA for delivery to General George Van Orden in Washington DC and it was noted on the letter that it was a very early 4" version."
You might want to do a search on the forum for Evaluators, Ltd. That was Van Orden's gun shop in Quantico.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 11:09 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 1,229 Times in 338 Posts

I know what you mean. I think I own almost as many "very nice" Colts as I do Smiths, and overall the Colts are probably in better condition, but I'm not a Colt guy. I own several big bore Ruger Bisleys but I'm not a Ruger guy (Ruger Bisley guy, maybe).
I think I'll have my headstone read:
"Here Lies a Smith & Wesson, Damascus Hammergun & Old Mauser Carbine Guy, Who Finally Let His Powder Get Wet".
Old 06-17-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
"The K38 was a govt ordered gun sent to Quantico VA for delivery to General George Van Orden in Washington DC and it was noted on the letter that it was a very early 4" version."
You might want to do a search on the forum for Evaluators, Ltd. That was Van Orden's gun shop in Quantico.
Sorry, I quoted one thing I was told and slightly misquoted what was in the Jinks letter.

The letter states it was sold to Evaluators Ltd, a distributor at that time in Quantico VA. for delivered to General George Van Orden of Washington DC. The letter mentions nothing about the govt (which is not relevant to me anyway). The letter also notes that this gun is "one of the very early 4" barrels".

I will do a little more research on Evaluators Ltd. and see what I can learn about that place.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Liked 5,549 Times in 1,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g27racing View Post
Sorry, I quoted one thing I was told and slightly misquoted what was in the Jinks letter.

The letter states it was sold to Evaluators Ltd, a distributor at that time in Quantico VA. for delivered to General George Van Orden of Washington DC. The letter mentions nothing about the govt (which is not relevant to me anyway). The letter also notes that this gun is "one of the very early 4" barrels".

I will do a little more research on Evaluators Ltd. and see what I can learn about that place.
This one was mine for several years. You've got a good one! If I remember correctly the Generals wife, Mrs Van Orden, was instrumental in working with S&W to create the 4" barreled Combat Masterpiece. A lot of police and military police bought guns from Evaluators Ltd and she saw the need for the shorter barrel. Mrs Van Ordens daughter posted here on the forum a couple of years ago about her parent and the shop.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Liked 8,314 Times in 2,917 Posts

Very nice aquisition,
I track early Combat Masterpiece and Combat Magnum serial numbers would you mind sharing that one here or via PM for my database ?

IIRC the very earliest CM shipped late 1949 with a 5 digit serial starting K 7xxxx
Old 06-17-2017, 04:53 PM

I don't mind at all:

K38 is: K90730
K22 is: K45724
Old 06-17-2017, 07:49 PM

I cannot verify, but I list the first K-38 Combat Masterpiece as K76000, shipping in late 1949. I'd guess K90730 would have shipped around August 1950. What date does the letter provide?

Last edited by DWalt; 06-17-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I cannot verify, but I list the first K-38 Combat Masterpiece as K76000, shipping in late 1949. I'd guess K90730 would have shipped around August 1950. What date does the letter provide?
Believe it or not, the letter does not give a date when it shipped. Its not with me but I will verify that. I do have a picture of the letter here and it doesn't show a ship date. I am going to go take a quick look at it but I don't recall it showing a ship date.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:41 PM

I purchased this gun originally from David Carroll. As the OP stated, there isn't a date typed in, but one is inked in at the top that states 8/14/50. I figured David might have gotten the ship date from Roy and wrote it at the top. The letter is from the late 80's. If the OP would like, I have a picture of the letter showing the date inked in at the top. I can post it here, but it's up to you.

Last edited by jsfricks; 06-17-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:18 PM
Liked 1,839 Times in 460 Posts

Interesting. I just picked up a Combat Masterpiece at the symposium from JayceNC.
It is a Quantico revolver as well. It is also lettered and includes the Quantico paperwork. But I am most definitely a Smith Guy.
Colts scare the bejesus out of me!
S&WCA #3012
Old 06-18-2017, 08:03 AM

The only thing scary about Colts is their prices.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfricks View Post
I purchased this gun originally from David Carroll. As the OP stated, there isn't a date typed in, but one is inked in at the top that states 8/14/50. I figured David might have gotten the ship date from Roy and wrote it at the top. The letter is from the late 80's. If the OP would like, I have a picture of the letter showing the date inked in at the top. I can post it here, but it's up to you.
Its OK with me... and yes the letter is from 1986. Its fairly old.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:04 PM

Here's the OP's S&W Letter.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Liked 18,987 Times in 9,290 Posts

In the past, Roy Jinks would write courtesy (aka "free") letters with information about a particular gun but without the specific ship date. SWCA members can request the ship date here online and it may have been handwritten on the letter after being obtained this way.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:31 PM

I will take another look at the letter when I got to the shop on Monday.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
In the past, Roy Jinks would write courtesy (aka "free") letters with information about a particular gun but without the specific ship date.
You know Alan, that might be why this letter appears to not have ever had a stamp at the bottom. Even if it were a copy of the original it should still show most of the stamp.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:01 PM

I received the model 29 today and its a beauty.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:51 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 45,707 Times in 4,811 Posts

Quote:
I received the model 29 today and its a beauty.
There is just something about that 8.357" of blued steel anchored by beautiful factory "coke" stocks... To tide us over until you post your photos (needs to be more than one photo ), here's a couple of shots of mine:

These long-tube 44's even get a 357 guy like me smiling the big smile BTW - you can deny it all you want, but you are on the fast track becoming a "Smith Guy". That doesn't mean that you give up your other passions, just that you have broadened your appreciations.

Last edited by RKmesa; 06-20-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Liked 1,839 Times in 460 Posts
Smile

Quote:
The only thing scary about Colts is their prices.

That's my point. There is a abundance of pythons and diamond backs. I simply do nor understand the price point. I guess the price is why I have not had the interest to learn more about them. I have also been told that the older colts are copied / counterfited quite often.
S&WCA #3012
Old 06-27-2017, 09:23 PM

I added the new 29 pics which were originally in this post up to the original post.

Last edited by g27racing; 06-27-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:52 AM
Liked 11,103 Times in 3,302 Posts

Quote:
I added the new 29 pics which were originally in this post up to the original post.
Looks like a great package to me!!
Old 06-28-2017, 11:05 PM

I have another Smith coming (shipped today). Its a 19-3 2.5" blued LNIB. Excited for that one to arrive.