Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Looking for Date of Shipping Looking for Date of Shipping Looking for Date of Shipping Looking for Date of Shipping Looking for Date of Shipping  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Looking for Date of Shipping

I recently purchased what I was told was a service revolver from an estate auction. It has a .38 CTG mark on the barrel and the serial# is 222726. I am trying to find out what year range this was manufactured and also the finish is pretty rough and I was wondering if having it redone would be a bad idea or if it is not that rare and having it redone would not hurt the value.
Thanks for your help
Old 07-15-2018, 12:37 AM
SWCA Member
Looking for Date of Shipping Looking for Date of Shipping Looking for Date of Shipping Looking for Date of Shipping Looking for Date of Shipping  
Liked 4,120 Times in 1,462 Posts

Welcome to the forum pictures are very helpful in identifying as many models were made in 38 caliber with serial numbers in the same ranges. There is a sticky at the top of this section that will help you and us correctly identifying which model you have. Refinishing 99.9% of the time is a bad idea as the cost of refinish is usually more than the gun is worth plus from a collectors standpoint any original finish is almost always better than a refinish, also very few refinishers are capable of doing a factory like finish.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:18 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 8,947 Times in 3,555 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

There are usually two categories of firearms and owners. Collectors and shooters.

As Randy stated, a refinish will destroy any collector value. As a shooter, finish doesn't typically affect how well a gun shoots so it would be up to the owner. Typically the cost to refinish a gun increases the price beyond what one could normally find a good condition gun in so unless there is some attachment to a particular piece, family heirloom etc., it doesn't normally make sense to do a refinish.

As far as what model or year that you have, a few close up photos under a good light from different angles will help us to identify what it is.
LM #497
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 09:01 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,340 Times in 5,468 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. There should be only one model S&W in that serial number range that would have been stamped with the 38 CTG caliber, . . . but Smith & Wesson always stamped their barrels 38 S&W CTG on the 38 Double Action, 3rd Model. If your barrel only says 38 CTG, it will most likely not be a S&W, rather one of many copies from Europe and South America. Look closely at the barrel stamping again and let us know what it says. Also, top-break revolvers of that era would have had a SMITH & WESSON stamped on the other side of the barrel with address and patents stamped on the barrel rib. If the revolver turns out to be a 3rd Model, it would have shipped in the late 1880s.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the help. Any idea on value?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0648.jpg (115.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0649.jpg (119.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0650.jpg (159.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0651.jpg (145.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0652.jpg (139.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:32 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 9,929 Times in 3,648 Posts

The gun is a Military & Police Model of 1905. It was made/shipped in the early 19 teens.

The value of a collectible is generally tied to the percentage of original finish remaining---also to rarity. (This model was produced in the millions.)

Hobbyists given to trying their hand at the restoration/refinishing of a firearm would likely be attracted at a very low price, < $100----it would be a great project gun--assuming decent chambers/bore----which seems unlikely. A gunsmith likewise for the internal parts.

Ralph Tremaine

Last edited by rct269; 07-15-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I didn't come out too bad, paid $120 for it. Think I'll just take it to my local gunsmith and check that it's safe to fire and leave it as is.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:45 PM
US Veteran

Liked 14,340 Times in 5,468 Posts

Mystery solved. So the barrel reads 38 S&W SPECIAL CTG. For future reference, the exact stampings are important to relay in your post and since you posted in the antique section, it was logical to think you had a top-break. I will have your post moved to the early hand ejector section for more from collectors who specialize in Pre-WWII HEs. I like a mystery, so thanks for getting pictures back to us. I would guess it shipped right in the middle of the 1910s, close to 1915.

I have purchased shooters like that one with very little appeal and ruse blued them - no harm, no foul in pursuing cleaning the gun up and with the all the oxidation, missing nickel, and bumps and bruises, I believe you might actually raise the value if the refinish is done right. Problem is stated above - you will probably never get your money back, but in this case, you would have a hard time making it worse. Good luck and let us know how the project progresses.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Liked 29,095 Times in 14,067 Posts

222726 almost certainly shipped in 1914. It is most definitely not an example of an M&P that anyone knowledgeable would recommend refinishing. If it shoots, use it. If not, hang it on the wall as a decorator item.